Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Crazy fast , just wanted the basic version oh well got the ce yesterday

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Got mine. Hot damn!

About 100ish CEs were available and 200ish Standards were available
Congrats. I did get a standard copy Friday. I'm kind of getting over this though. I'm more about getting the games not caring how limited they are, but now that it's getting harder and harder, it's souring me on the experience.

I have no one to blame but myself. Was refreshing vigilantly, but got distracted for 4-5 minutes around the 6:23 mark. Look at LR, nothing, look at Twitter, 3 mins prior: "Inventory is live!"

I mostly just wanted the master system cover as I am a huge master system fan. So, onto plan B: get the play Asia version and print out the original master system cover with PS4 label photoshopped across the top.

Wonder Boy is on my GotY shortlist. It's that good. Hope you folks enjoy.
I love it when the smaller, non AAA games end up being that good. Hell, my current GoTY is Ever Oasis, just due to the absolutely master level game design that it has. Take that AAA game industry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can guarantee with damn near 100% certainty that I have played more games this year than you.
Yeah but I don't waste my time playing garbage tier games like Wonderboy.

Tell me, iPayMSRP, have you even played Cities: Skylines? No? Well it was one of the best PC games released this year, surely a "gamer" like yourself would be aware of it. What about Titan Souls? Hotline Miami 2? Lol. And don't bother replying now, your silence speaks volumes.

Tell me, iPayMSRP, have you even played Cities: Skylines? No? Well it was one of the best PC games released this year, surely a "gamer" like yourself would be aware of it. What about Titan Souls? Hotline Miami 2? Lol. And don't bother replying now, your silence speaks volumes.
Didn't Cites Skylines come out in 2015?

Ended up getting the standard edition with today's sale, which is the edition I actually wanted.  So I take back any negative comments I've made on here, and especially in my mind.  Those were WAY worse.  :)

#spicymaymay

Why does every page in this thread have to be a
giphy.gif
?

Why does the morning batch allow 2 and afternoon allow 1, why cant they be the same? 1 1 or 2 2?

Dragons Trap is considered one of the greatest 8 bit titles of all time and recieved GoTY honors in its time. This is a fantastic homage to the source material and your post is utterly ignorant.

Why does the morning batch allow 2 and afternoon allow 1, why cant they be the same? 1 1 or 2 2?
They usually adjust the evening limit down to 1 if the morning batch sells out quickly. It's easy to say it should have been limited to 1 in hindsight but lets be realistic- none of us can predict how quickly these games will with 100% accuracy.

People always ask "Why not limit to one in the morning and then go up to two later?" It's a complicated answer but I'll do my best.

First, the majority of stock is listed in the morning batch so if there is any batch that can facilitate two per customer, it's the morning batch. Second, if we start at one and adjust to two because things sold slow, most people who wanted two and bought during the morning batch won't want to pay shipping twice to get a second copy in the evening. Those that do buy a second copy will request combined shipping and we can't easily facilitate the amount of combined shipping requests that would cause (those have to be processed, tracked, and shipped manually). Third, and perhaps most importantly, if the morning batch doesn't sell quickly - many who wanted two won't even bother because "it's not rare". You guys wouldn't believe the amount of cancellation requests we get from people when games don't sell out in an hour. It's ridiculous and it's why we had to institute an all sales are final policy.

If we have a large print run on a game, we're pretty much always going to start at two per customer and adjust down to one for the later batch. With us assuming a lot of financial risk on each individual game release, it's very important that things still sell out. It's easy to say in hindsight that Wonder Boy would sell this fast but as our larget single platform run which already had a cheaper Asian English release on the market - it was a big risk for us going in.

They usually adjust the evening limit down to 1 if the morning batch sells out quickly. It's easy to say it should have been limited to 1 in hindsight but lets be realistic- none of us can predict how quickly these games will with 100% accuracy.
Lol a monkey could've predicted W.B. selling out almost instantly.

Look at oddworld/shantae, This should've been no surprise to anyone.

Dragons Trap is considered one of the greatest 8 bit titles of all time and recieved GoTY honors in its time. This is a fantastic homage to the source material and your post is utterly ignorant.
IGN only gave it a 7.5. That doesn't seem like a score an all-time great game would get.

New n tasty PS4 says otherwise
That was only their third release, and they hadn't built a large devoted following yet. Their previous two releases were only 1,500 and 4,480, so to jump to 7,500 combined for Oddworld was a major step. Also, only the PS4 version lasted a day, and it sold out almost instantly after they lifted purchase limits.

Not gonna lie, that's tough to argue with.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, if the morning batch doesn't sell quickly - many who wanted two won't even bother because "it's not rare". You guys wouldn't believe the amount of cancellation requests we get from people when games don't sell out in an hour. It's ridiculous
fuck those people, seriously.

People always ask "Why not limit to one in the morning and then go up to two later?" It's a complicated answer but I'll do my best.

First, the majority of stock is listed in the morning batch so if there is any batch that can facilitate two per customer, it's the morning batch. Second, if we start at one and adjust to two because things sold slow, most people who wanted two and bought during the morning batch won't want to pay shipping twice to get a second copy in the evening. Those that do buy a second copy will request combined shipping and we can't easily facilitate the amount of combined shipping requests that would cause (those have to be processed, tracked, and shipped manually). Third, and perhaps most importantly, if the morning batch doesn't sell quickly - many who wanted two won't even bother because "it's not rare". You guys wouldn't believe the amount of cancellation requests we get from people when games don't sell out in an hour. It's ridiculous and it's why we had to institute an all sales are final policy.

If we have a large print run on a game, we're pretty much always going to start at two per customer and adjust down to one for the later batch. With us assuming a lot of financial risk on each individual game release, it's very important that things still sell out. It's easy to say in hindsight that Wonder Boy would sell this fast but as our larget single platform run which already had a cheaper Asian English release on the market - it was a big risk for us going in.
I understand where you are coming from but I can tell you right now I have no doubt that Night Trap and Ys will sell out as fast as or even faster than Wonderboy (if the total print run and limits remain as is) based on the buzz about those titles and the hype around them, and the fact that they will likely attract brand new customers to LRG's business. If you want these titles to reach the maximum amount of customers, I would suggest limiting them to 1 each (of the standard edition) from the get go (assuming the CEs are already limited to 1 each). However if you'd like another quick sellout in 2 minutes or under than leave it as is, but be prepared for the backlash from people who missed out, including new customers who's first experience with LRG is an item removed from their cart at checkout. I've already seen this with Wonderboy while checking out various forums on the web.

Also, since you are selling The Bunker with Night Trap this Friday, may I suggest putting The Bunker up for sale like 20 seconds earlier than Night Trap to allow people to get that in the cart first (kind of like what you did before I think with the Dariusburst CE)? The Bunker will not sell out in under 2 minutes but Night Trap has a very good chance to.

Also, since you are selling The Bunker with Night Trap this Friday, may I suggest putting The Bunker up for sale like 20 seconds earlier than Night Trap to allow people to get that in the cart first (kind of like what you did before I think with the Dariusburst CE)? The Bunker will not sell out in under 2 minutes but Night Trap has a very good chance to.
I'm personally hoping for a NT CE & NT Blu-Ray combo, or at the very least, put the Blu-Ray up a few seconds early. Otherwise, I'm probably just going to try for the CE in the am, and then try to get the documentary in the pm.

Just to be sure since I've never bought multiples before, but I bought 1 regular and 1 CE of Wonder Boy. That's fine right? Just making sure that doesn't count as 2 copies and the order gets canceled. I had bought the regular copy in the morning and decided I wanted a CE and ordered that in the afternoon batch.

Hey Doom,

Any info on how Bunker and Night Trap will be handled?  Any bundles with the Blu-ray, Vinyl, or both games together?

I'd be interested to know some info about the whole rewards ticket cover variant thing, Doom.
Are you guys gonna move forward with that or did you scrap it? I'll have my tickets in the mail today if that's something still happening.

I'd be interested to know some info about the whole rewards ticket cover variant thing, Doom.
Are you guys gonna move forward with that or did you scrap it? I'll have my tickets in the mail today if that's something still happening.
I'd like some clarification on this as well... I thought I remember seeing a post where LRG was considering alternatives to the 40 ticket exchange but I don't remember for sure honestly.

I'd like some clarification on this as well... I thought I remember seeing a post where LRG was considering alternatives to the 40 ticket exchange but I don't remember for sure honestly.
Josh never gave any 100% specifics, at least not that I remember. The info so far was 40 tickets for the alternate cover version of the complete game. Then just the variant cover alone(no game, just the sleeve), would be something like 10 tickets, but that was never fully decided on. At least that I ever saw, or if anything was still happening for either version.

But that was the last info I can remember thus far. Maybe something more has been announced, or maybe something was changed. I'm sure LRG will give the full details before Friday, if and when the variant is still on the table.

These ultra fast sellouts and angry consumers are probably an indication that the "limited" aspect of these games could be stretched a bit, more money could be made, and the game would still sell out. Wonderboy could have had an additional 3 or 4K copies produced and it still would have sold out in under a day, and I don't think that's really even a "hindsight 20-20" thing, it was a sure thing that this game was going to sell.

I guess I'm not sure what their goal is, beyond selling out of games. If you sell out of a game because you printed 5K copies but you could have sold out had you printed 10K, then you lost money. If money isn't the main driving factor, and you prefer to keep the "super-hard to get, gone in 2 minutes" level of scarcity intact, then sure, only print 5K copies.   

These ultra fast sellouts and angry consumers are probably an indication that the "limited" aspect of these games could be stretched a bit, more money could be made, and the game would still sell out. Wonderboy could have had an additional 3 or 4K copies produced and it still would have sold out in under a day, and I don't think that's really even a "hindsight 20-20" thing, it was a sure thing that this game was going to sell.

I guess I'm not sure what their goal is, beyond selling out of games. If you sell out of a game because you printed 5K copies but you could have sold out had you printed 10K, then you lost money. If money isn't the main driving factor, and you prefer to keep the "super-hard to get, gone in 2 minutes" level of scarcity intact, then sure, only print 5K copies.
Completely agree with this. Wonder Boy could easily have sold 7500 or 10K copies, demand was grossly underestimated. I understand that developers have the ultimate say in quantities, but they really could have made a much better profit with a substantially larger production. Low numbers just result in frustration and discourage people from buying future games.

While I agree, the fact that both Wonder Boy and Ys Origins are available in lower quality at a cheaper price over at PA changes things.  Folks are mad, but you CAN get the game physically for cheaper than what LRGs price point was.  It's just not the LRG printing.  Neither are ESRB rated, the system is region free, the games are in English.  It's not a humongous deal in this instance.  They could've provided 3k total and you'd still be able to buy it from PA.  Yes, 10k total or even higher probably would've sold out, but they couldn't be sure knowing that PA had physical copies.

Night Trap however is a completely different situation, if it sells out in 2 minutes, that's it, there is no PA version to go grab.  This concerns me.

I'm kind of hoping that maybe they'll up the print for Ys Origins and Night Trap to say 10-12k total knowing that it would still sell.

At the end of the day, it comes back to the "selling out" issue. Yeah, WB was a real popular title, and at a few thousand more copies, I'm sure more could have sold or been produced to meet demand. As I'm sure NT would and could see the same benefits.

But's it's a fine line, and based on LRG business model, it's ALWAYS going to be in their best interest to sell out, and be done with a title, than to over produce and not sell out. Most of these games go as quick as they do, because of "demand" and being "limited". Of course a title can still be limited at 8000-10,000, but how quickly would those numbers sell out? The slower and longer it takes, the slower and less demand will be. Everyone here is looking at these situations from the outside, and after the fact, which is always easy to do, as we have all the info at that point.

LRG has mentioned several times, how when an item is perceived as not enough, it goes quick, but as soon as an item is hanging around a day or two, they get slammed with cancellations from people who no longer want two copies(or maybe even one copy), as the demand is no longer there. I think at this point, due to having a larger fan base, they could maybe up some of their game qty's. But since most of these deals are done way in advanced, I personally would NEVER even begin to guess estimates for a title that won't be out until 6-12 months from now. And having these asian options happen, they could really get boned, if a title comes out before hand, and they over produce theirs.

All it takes is one title that doesn't sell out, or maybe is produced over and beyond, and then they'll have real issues. LRG just can't have inventory sitting. Now look at "N" who is in the business of selling the most products, to the greatest number of people, and you get the NES Mini that was for sure funds left on the table, when over producing an item like that, is really the nature of the business. TV's, Cars, Electronics, are always discounted, or put on sale to make room for new products, and that is just a part of standard retail business.

If a big retailer has to discount anything, "N" has already been paid, so really it may only affect future orders if an item sits for awhile. LRG pays everyone upfront, so if an item doesn't sell, they are SOL! And stuck holding the bag, as everyone will have been paid, but them. So at the end of the day, to maintain their business, they are going to leave disappointed customers more often than not, as this doesn't really work any other way than how it does now.

bread's done
Back