Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Not to be too off topic but what was sony's reasoning for deciding to no longer support vita? I cant remember actually reading the justification for this. Was it just a sales issue?
In Japan it's still produced and supported. The rest of the world just got the shaft, and they never gave much of a reason why.

Because theyre called Limited Run Games.

After the initial printing, the rights go back to the other party. The other party is free to do a re issue, but it wont be part of the LRG lineup. An example of this is Soldner. After LRG did their run, they decided to do another reprint with Play Asia
It's part of their contract that they don't do any re-releasing of any titles they've already released.

And this doesn't address the fact that pre-orders are the bane to their existence anyways, so double won't happen from that perspective.
They have a policy that they will NEVER reprint any of their releases, but any of the developers can release games if they so choose. Soldner X-2 sold out rather quick, so the developer did another release with Play-Asia. A part of the "limited" nature of this business, is that they won't be making more. If they reprinted titles, the limited wouldn't realty mean much.

EDIT: Damn, I was beat twice. LOL
Not doing reissues because they're supposed to be inherently "limited" is really stupid tbh. LRG should be focused on bringing games that wouldn't have gotten physical releases into the retail realm. Not pleasing collectors who want their secret club "limited" collection full of games most people can't buy because they sell out in literal seconds. I also doubt most collectors would even get mad at the idea of reissues anyway.

More importantly, LRG is leaving easy money on the table by not doing them. Just look at the prices on ebay for their popular games like Shantae and Wonder Boy if you want an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or the richest in the world. That is literally how hedge funds and banks make most of their money.
And that's perfectly reasonable when you have hundreds of millions or billions to play with and can afford to eat a few losses, even big ones. On the sort of scale your average person is working with, you're risking financial ruin.

Not doing reissues because they're supposed to be inherently "limited" is really stupid. LRG should be focused on bringing games that wouldn't have gotten physical releases into the retail realm. Not pleasing collectors who want their secret club "limited" collection full of games most people can't buy because they sell out in literal seconds. I also doubt most collectors would even get mad at the idea of reissues anyway.

More importantly, LRG is leaving easy money on the table by not doing them. Just look at the prices on ebay for their popular games like Shantae and Wonder Boy if you want an example.
You should start a rival company. You seem to know the business pretty well. It should be easy.

If someone is capable of turning a speculative market into their primary source of income how would that at all make them a moron? I don't think he said "permanent career" or "infinite source of income." It isn't the only way to flip games either... There are enough estate sales, pawn shops, idiots on FB , failed video game stores and sniping algorithms to last a few of us resellers a lifetime. Don't be jelly now.
Even if that was true (and it isn't despite how badly "professional resellers" want it to be) at the end of the day I work half as hard and make twice as much at my daily grind than anyone who spends all day picking meat off the bones at any thrift store, and I have the security of knowing I'm going to have a paycheck every two weeks without having to depend on outside forces beyond my control. That to me is worth far more that any sense of freedom you might feel from whatever it is you do.

You should start a rival company. You seem to know the business pretty well. It should be easy.
I mean it seems pretty simple to me: These items are high in demand and are sold out. Therefore, more print runs should be done to meet demand. Like basic Supply and Demand 101 stuff right here.

If there's worry about overprinting, use a pre-order like system to gauge interest. If pre-orders show there isn't enough demand to do a profitable print run, then don't do it.

Not doing reissues in a vain attempt to please collectors who might potentially get upset seems really shortsighted to me and LRG is just leaving money on the table.

Not to be too off topic but what was sony's reasoning for deciding to no longer support vita? I cant remember actually reading the justification for this. Was it just a sales issue?
They never stated but systems outside of Japan sold around the same level as the WiiU and along the lines of other failed systems. Compared to the PSP, the vita lost a huge portion of the handheld market for Sony too. There was also something I read a while back about some deal with memory card production which affected everything. Ultimately the only answer is that there isn't one. But it's not too hard to look at what happened and compare system and software sales and realize the Vita wasn't as huge a hit on the market as it was for those of us that bought into it and discovered how awesome it (and the PSTV) is.

but if its unlimited then the demand wont be the same.
It wouldn't be unlimited. First print runs would still be limited, reissues would only happens with popular releases months later. I don't see that affecting the first batches of games selling out quickly.

The prospect of reissues for popular games would only deter scalpers. And that's a good thing unless LRG wants to base their business model on scalpers.

I mean it seems pretty simple to me: These items are high in demand and are sold out. Therefore, more print runs should be done to meet demand. Like basic Supply and Demand 101 stuff right here.

If there's worry about overprinting, use a pre-order like system to gauge interest. If pre-orders show there isn't enough demand to do a profitable print run, then don't do it.

Not doing reissues in a vain attempt to please collectors who might potentially get upset seems really shortsighted to me and LRG is just leaving money on the table.
But they're not in that high demand- we're talking less than 10 k units and many titles seem to be on a fine line of meeting demand vs over produced. Anything that's limited to these quantities, especially with the recent media spooging seems in high demand.

But they're not in that high demand- we're talking less than 10 k units and many titles seem to be on a fine line of meeting demand vs over produced. Anything that's limited to these quantities, especially with the recent media spooging seems in high demand.
Wonder Boy and Nightrap selling out in seconds and copies being sold on eBay for $100 seems like the definition of being "in high demand" to me. But what do I know?

Again, if there's worry about the demand for a reissue not being there, then just use a preorder-like system to gauge interest. It's not like I'm saying shit like Lawbreakers should be getting a reprint.

What do you know? The same few thousand dorks are buying these things weekly. Do you think this tiny little group of dudes would be the ones selling these titles if they had so much promise? Were you around to see the not so great numbers titles like night trap put up back in the day? They've got to the sweet spot and they need to stay in it.

Wonder Boy and Nightrap selling out in seconds and copies being sold on eBay for $100 seems like the definition of being "in high demand" to me. But what do I know?

Again, if there's worry about the demand for a reissue not being there, then just use a preorder-like system to gauge interest. It's not like I'm saying shit like Lawbreakers should be getting a reprint.
The $100 isn't going to last. It's because there are around 60-70 listings on items they don't even have in hand. Once the flood hits you'll see the real market price. Wasn't Oceanhorn even getting 90? Wonder if that held after the vita ones arrived this week?

The $100 isn't going to last. It's because there are around 60-70 listings on items they don't even have in hand. Once the flood hits you'll see the real market price. Wasn't Oceanhorn even getting 90? Wonder if that held after the vita ones arrived this week?

6a87461bbc.png

a69d9b62f2.png

Shantae has a much larger following then NT. Actually outside of a handful of titles many LRG aren't over $50 in the secondary market. The big ones being Breach, Oddworld, Shantae, and Sat Morning (three out of four being very early releases with lower print runs before most knew what LRG was). Maybe Firewatch and Darius too (Darius was $60 at the site though)

Shantae has a much larger following then NT. Actually outside of a handful of titles many LRG aren't over $50 in the secondary market. The big ones being Breach, Oddworld, Shantae, and Sat Morning. Maybe Firewatch and Darius too (Darius was $60 at the site though)
It's going to become more of a problem as LRG tackles more and more popular games. Just this month they've had Wonder Boy, Nightrap, and Ys Origin (easily their biggest release) upcoming.

It's going to become more of a problem as LRG tackles more and more popular games. Just this month they've had Wonder Boy, Nightrap, and Ys Origin (easily their biggest release) upcoming.
Yea, that one I'm really worried about. Had fun with the first one on my TurboGrafx and would love to have a physical one for the PS4. :) But seeing how the past few weeks have gone, I'm dubious on my chances.

Well the thing that might hurt both Wonderboy and Y's is the playasia releases (Y's going to be a nightmare to grab no doubt). That's why X2 never went totally nuts. As you can get a PA version to have a physical disc. Even the Darius CE calmed way down and it's Vita release was a bust overall. I've said it before and I'll say it again these are fake new rare and will never be worth what something like a complete Earthbound is worth simply because everyone will keep these mint and new. So eventually the hoarders, scalpers, ect will look to move their stuff. For every Shantae you'll get 3 Thomas'. They will go up moderately, but it will be like modern baseball chase cards or Comic con exclusive stuff. Really hot at first then dies down.

Most of the real valuable stuff didn't start off valuable. It came about because nobody bought it.;-)

Consumers turned off by non thrilling watered ports of home games instead of unique mobile games, and Sony's blatant attempt at another money grab with yet another 10x over priced proprietary media.

Wonder Boy, Night Trap, and Ys are extremely high profile releases.

Judging LRGs business methods and quantities on three extreme outliers isn't wise.

So, you want them to keep re-issuing until their supply exceeds demand? Or just nail it every single time? A bigger operation might be able to absorb having excess inventory.

Their thoughts on pre-orders - which they've done - have already been documented and I doubt anyone wondering if they'll live to see the day that Skullgirls arrives are too excited about the idea of more pre-orders.

You guys that want to talk supply and demand probably wouldn't be too happy if LRG were to fix that issue by adjusting the price. That's the safest way for them to do it and the torches would come out in this thread if they did. They think that 5,000 is a good number for "Night Trap" but aren't sure if they are aiming too low? List the standard for $60 instead of $30 and jack up the CE to $100. I bet they would've still sold out, essentially taking a cut out of the resellers' pie. And if they didn't? Well, then they have some room to offload inventory at "sale" prices until they sell out. It then becomes a gamble for us - do we think it will sell out at the higher price point or risk waiting for a sale? I give them a lot of credit for not doing that. They probably would've received less crap over a $100 Night Trap CE than they got for the Wonder Boy/Lawbreakers bundle.

But, as others have pointed out, most of these releases aren't exactly earning much of a profit (if any) on the secondary market, so I'd say they must be pretty close to nailing the actual demand most of the time. It's a really weird niche they've carved out. I've bought some games I would never have even considered if they got a wide general retail release (<cough>Curses 'N Chaos</cough>).

It wouldn't be unlimited. First print runs would still be limited, reissues would only happens with popular releases months later. I don't see that affecting the first batches of games selling out quickly.

The prospect of reissues for popular games would only deter scalpers. And that's a good thing unless LRG wants to base their business model on scalpers.
Yeah, good luck with that.

We'll be there to say hi at your bankruptcy proceeding ... And to buy up your leftover assets for a few pennies.

So, you want them to keep re-issuing until their supply exceeds demand? Or just nail it every single time? A bigger operation might be able to absorb having excess inventory.
No. I want them to use a pre-order/survey system to gauge interest in a reissue. If the demand isn't there to make the run profitable, don't do it. Other services have done this. It's simple.

Their thoughts on pre-orders - which they've done - have already been documented and I doubt anyone wondering if they'll live to see the day that Skullgirls arrives are too excited about the idea of more pre-orders.
I don't doubt the issues they had doing traditional preorders with Skullgirls. But I don't think one single release from early on in the company's history should deter them away from the system completely. It's worth another shot in the future at the very least.

You guys that want to talk supply and demand probably wouldn't be too happy if LRG were to fix that issue by adjusting the price. That's the safest way for them to do it and the torches would come out in this thread if they did. They think that 5,000 is a good number for "Night Trap" but aren't sure if they are aiming too low? List the standard for $60 instead of $30 and jack up the CE to $100. I bet they would've still sold out, essentially taking a cut out of the resellers' pie. And if they didn't? Well, then they have some room to offload inventory at "sale" prices until they sell out. It then becomes a gamble for us - do we think it will sell out at the higher price point or risk waiting for a sale? I give them a lot of credit for not doing that. They probably would've received less crap over a $100 Night Trap CE than they got for the Wonder Boy/Lawbreakers bundle.

But, as others have pointed out, most of these releases aren't exactly earning much of a profit (if any) on the secondary market, so I'd say they must be pretty close to nailing the actual demand most of the time. It's a really weird niche they've carved out. I've bought some games I would never have even considered if they got a wide general retail release (<cough>Curses 'N Chaos</cough>).
I don't see how price is exactly relevant here. Dariusburst's Limited Edition was $100 and that still sold out instantly and was on ebay for $180+ hours later. Regardless of the price, this shit is going to sellout at the end of the day and people are going to miss out. I see literally no downsides to doing reprints months later of soldout, popular games to meet that demand.

Wonder Boy, Night Trap, and Ys are extremely high profile releases.

Judging LRGs business methods and quantities on three extreme outliers isn't wise.
High profile releases are going to happen more and more as LRG continues to grow. Those three aren't the only ones that are going for ridiculous prices on eBay too: Both Oddworld games, both Shantae games, Dariusburst, and some their older games like Breach and Clear and Saturday Morning RPG regularly sell for $100+.

These type of releases aren't the majority, but they aren't a tiny fraction of their lineup either. There's easy money to be made reprinting them.

Wow. There sure are a lot of LRG zealots in here. Someone makes a suggestion and people come out of the woodwork to tell them their ideas are stupid. Guess everyone here is a small business major.

Look, none of us know how LRG runs their business. As a former small business owner myself, I can speak to the challenges of supply and demand. What I see here is pretty simple. For whatever reason, supply is not meeting demand on these bigger titles. They are turning away customers by the thousands, and potentially losing loyal ones as well, and leaving a lot of money on the table I'm sure.

I would think that by now LRG would have a better grasp on things. They've released quite a few games at this point, and they are still way off with forecasting demand on what should be obviously more popular titles. Why not make a few thousand more when you know they are going to sell? They'll still be limited, for all you "collectors" that get all worked up because someone else can actually buy a copy of a game they want. I'm a proud owner of the Shantae games, but I'd have no problem with more copies of those games being out there for fellow gamers to enjoy.

I'm not buying the overestimating demand and not selling out arguement, either. These games are selling out in minutes. MINUTES! Hasn't every game in the numbered series sold out? Who cares if it takes a day or two? What, if a game doesn't sell out in 90 seconds they're making too many? Yes, not every game is a winner, but I find it hard to believe nobody expected Wonder Boy and Night Trap to sell like gangbusters. Look how long people have been talking about Cosmic Star Heroine, or Y's. I'm sure those releases are going to be a nightmare and thousands of fans won't get a copy because someone underestimated demand.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but the attitudes and smugness in here is suffocating. If what LRG was doing was perfect, we wouldn't have this thread with hundreds of upset fans and gamers complaining about not being to buy this company's products. And just because someone makes a suggestion that may or may not be reasonable or feasible, is no reason to talk down to others and resort to name calling.

Some of you need to grow up. It seems like this is happening every time they release something. You knew what to expect. It's not that big of a deal. The standard edition will be ~$40 on eBay within a couple of months. Whining on an Internet forum will not make a copy fall into your laps.

The scalpers set your market prices for these things. No matter if you believe this or not, they're helping you. A collector is nothing but a patient scalper usually looking to flip something after it has accrued value.
+1. I'm guessing the collectors (future resellers) and/or "I'm just a fan of physical" crowd would be pretty upset if their "full set" had a resale value of $0. LRG exists because of resale value.

Some of you need to grow up. It seems like this is happening every time they release something. You knew what to expect. It's not that big of a deal. The standard edition will be ~$40 on eBay within a couple of months. Whining on an Internet forum will not make a copy fall into your laps.
Yeah man those $100+ eBay prices for Shantae and Oddworld are going to drop any day now...

Wow. There sure are a lot of LRG zealots in here. Someone makes a suggestion and people come out of the woodwork to tell them their ideas are stupid. Guess everyone here is a small business major.

Look, none of us know how LRG runs their business. As a former small business owner myself, I can speak to the challenges of supply and demand. What I see here is pretty simple. For whatever reason, supply is not meeting demand on these bigger titles. They are turning away customers by the thousands, and potentially losing loyal ones as well, and leaving a lot of money on the table I'm sure.

I would think that by now LRG would have a better grasp on things. They've released quite a few games at this point, and they are still way off with forecasting demand on what should be obviously more popular titles. Why not make a few thousand more when you know they are going to sell? They'll still be limited, for all you "collectors" that get all worked up because someone else can actually buy a copy of a game they want. I'm a proud owner of the Shantae games, but I'd have no problem with more copies of those games being out there for fellow gamers to enjoy.

I'm not buying the overestimating demand and not selling out arguement, either. These games are selling out in minutes. MINUTES! Hasn't every game in the numbered series sold out? Who cares if it takes a day or two? What, if a game doesn't sell out in 90 seconds they're making too many? Yes, not every game is a winner, but I find it hard to believe nobody expected Wonder Boy and Night Trap to sell like gangbusters. Look how long people have been talking about Cosmic Star Heroine, or Y's. I'm sure those releases are going to be a nightmare and thousands of fans won't get a copy because someone underestimated demand.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but the attitudes and smugness in here is suffocating. If what LRG was doing was perfect, we wouldn't have this thread with hundreds of upset fans and gamers complaining about not being to buy this company's products. And just because someone makes a suggestion that may or may not be reasonable or feasible, is no reason to talk down to others and resort to name calling.
I think the reason people are being slightly combative is that the owner of LRG has posted here a lot, and has addressed a lot of concerns people are talking about today. They can't just reprint a game, and the number they print has to be accounted for fairly early on. LRG popularity really has spiked in the past 3 or 4 months, before some of these games were even announced and numbers may have already been discussed.

I like what they do in concept. I personally hate the "fake demand though artificial scarcity" business model. Im certainly bitter at the fact they have now diverted a not insignificant chunk of "collecting money" that I could be using to back fill other titles/platforms. Anyone with any aspirations to ever have a full USA Vita or USA PS4 set is essentially forced to buy any and every title they release and put everything else secondary.

And there is more than just me being "full set crazy", the whole reason there is Vita demand still is people who had or were within 20 games of a complete set who have to stay glued to LRGs ass now every time they expand the official library. Last LRG Twitter thread on Vita I saw had every other poster say how they are <= 20 titles for full set or just needed B&C or something.

In practice they just need to admit to and respect the fact that they are in a position to HURT collectors as much or more than do them any favors. Especially for USA collectors where their releases are required for a USA library and missing one release by a fraction of a second essentially scraps years of effort and expense on a library that will now never be complete.

The stress and potential to miss a release isn't something collectors were begging for left and right before the limited run bandwagon started, certainly not from a company "by collectors for collectors".

Though I do recognize they learn, take feedback, and adjust and that these are just a few higher profile titles I have to trudge through until things get back to normal. I also respect that they have been increasing print counts and admitted they have to slow down the release schedule. I sincerely believe they mean to do right but it's tough for many reasons they have elaborated on hundreds of times already.

Just gotta get through these crazy next couple months....

+1. I'm guessing the collectors (future resellers) and/or "I'm just a fan of physical" crowd would be pretty upset if their "full set" had a resale value of $0. LRG exists because of resale value.
I personally wouldn't give a shit. It's worth $0 if I don't sell it anyway.

When I started collecting I was wanting shelves full of games, I wasn't thinking "man I want something expensive that nobody else has".

[SIZE=23.4238px]One [/SIZE]legitimate suggestion though: stop with the cover variants[SIZE=23.4238px].  That's killing your already limited quantities for people that want a CE but also want guaranteed both variants and have to get two standards also.  All it does is needlessly complicate an already explosive environment. Curious how many people ordered 2 standard of WB and NT strictly because of cover variants.  It also backs you into a corner of not being able to limit to 1 per person in the AM batch trying to accommodate those who want both sealed cover prints.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.4238px]You're trying to please everyone.  Chilling out on the cover variants would be a insignificant compromise to have less groups to please (eg the one of each people). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.4238px]At least order reversible covers the same. I know the 50/50 mix is a deliberate request on your order to Sony: there are many retail games with orders of magnitude larger run sizes with reversible covers out there that are ONE default cover on the outside.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.4238px]Unless you're deliberately exploiting hardcore collector OCD to double dip and inflate demand/sales that way eg Nintendo and their 5000 limited GB/DS/etc systems and colored controllers... Well then that's just fucking dirty.[/SIZE]

I personally wouldn't give a shit. It's worth $0 if I don't sell it anyway.

When I started collecting I was wanting shelves full of games, I wasn't thinking "man I want something expensive that nobody else has".
I agree that having a game collection is awesome in and of itself. But I also like knowing that I could sell my collection for a thousand bucks any day of the week.

Everyone in here ragging on the company for this or for that really needs to grow the fuck up.  No one cares that you don't understand the world of collectables,  don't realize that flippers are always going to exist, or that you missed out on a copy of a game.

Get better at ordering.  Or else go and buy one on Ebay.   Maybe even ask nicely in here and someone might hook you up with an extra.  That's what adults do, they solve their problem.  Pay up if you have to have it or else move on.  Buy an extra of the next big release so you can fund the one you missed out on.  But all these temper tantrums over not getting what you want are ridiculous.  It's a video game; they are all offered in other formats 24/7 on Steam or PSN.   You don't deserve anything.  You absolutely don't NEED it. 

LRG is running like a well-oiled machine and it has left the station.  Either get on board, or else stfu.  Get back to constructive criticism if you want to have a dialogue, and check all the QQ at the door.

I bought two copies of Night Trap for PS4. If I wanted to buy a PC copy (or two) as well what is the process? They charge $3 to combine orders so it would cost me $5.50 + $3.00 vs the $7 if I bought them all at once? 

Oh, let me try that too!

yRo7sZU.png

bocDTLB.png

Yeah, all these people making bank.

Might as well just retire at this point.
Lulz I didn't even bother with those games as NO ONE cares about them. I sure do miss the Shantae days though, I got some amazing LuLaRoe thanks to those... Which I ironically bought from a reseller. The ecosystem lives on!

bread's done
Back