Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I just like it better when games are at Best Buy because I get 20% off :lol:

Edit to add: nightc1- I heard that Thimbleweed has touch controls on the Switch. Not sure if that would change your opinion, but just in case you didn't know.
Yeah, I read that about the touch controls. It doesn't help though. Point and click adventure games to me just feel more natural with a keyboard and mouse. After ~30 years it's hard to change that preference, though the DS with the stylus actually was very comparable despite the low resolution.

Their standard is to charge $10 over the digital price. The game is $39.99 digitally. How are you all so surprised about the price?
I am guessing most of the people who are surprised didn't previously know much or anything about the game, especially what it costs digitally. I typically go for all the LRG shmups myself and I do want this one and will probably order a copy as shmups are one of my weaknesses.

Their standard is to charge $10 over the digital price. The game is $39.99 digitally. How are you all so surprised about the price?
I am guessing most of the people who are surprised didn't previously know much or anything about the game, especially what it costs digitally. I typically go for all the LRG shmups myself and I do want this one and will probably order a copy as shmups are one of my weaknesses.
People know, they just don't care, they need something to complain about. Just reading about the NS title will keep the pre-order style, the complaints will be coming for those games, as then they are shipping to late, as they need to be manufactured. It will always be something, it's just a matter of what it will be.

Yeah, I read that about the touch controls. It doesn't help though. Point and click adventure games to me just feel more natural with a keyboard and mouse. After ~30 years it's hard to change that preference, though the DS with the stylus actually was very comparable despite the low resolution.
Well said, as the "P&C" of these games is in reference to a mouse, so that is of course the best way to play for sure. And I totally agree that the DS was the second best option. Touch controls will probably be third on the list, but still better than using an analog stick(or even worse, a digital pad), so better than nothing I guess. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh that moonlighter game does look very good!

Kinda making me think of kingkiller chronicles with the shop/innkeeper by day and secret hero by night.

Edit: oh fuck yes they're going to continue open preorders for switch games! I dunno if it was mentioned yet but that's so good imo!
Yeah, the open pre order thing is great. Applause

👏

hqdefault.jpg

KQV-Desert-Death.jpg

People know, they just don't care, they need something to complain about. Just reading about the NS title will keep the pre-order style, the complaints will be coming for those games, as then they are shipping to late, as they need to be manufactured. It will always be something, it's just a matter of what it will be.

Well said, as the "P&C" of these games is in reference to a mouse, so that is of course the best way to play for sure. And I totally agree that the DS was the second best option. Touch controls will probably be third on the list, but still better than using an analog stick(or even worse, a digital pad), so better than nothing I guess. LOL
You guys know you can just use a stylus for the Switch screen right?

I actually didn't know, I never really look into purchasing digital games at all so I was surprised at the Darius burst pricing as well. I wouldn't say I'm complaining about it, but if you don't have a base of reference it can be a bit of a tougher pill to swallow after getting accustomed to paying $24.99 or $29.99 for most of their other releases. Regardless, I paid for Darius Burst and I'll likely pay for this.

I like bullet hell games and all...but not sure of that high price. I'll think about it though.
Definitely overpriced not to mention It's a one vs one game with bullet hell and combat. If you played Touhou Bullet Ballet from a few years ago it's basically the same. Senko no Ronde came first though. Looks alright but no real longevity for $50 or $100.

surprised because its this late of a rerelease, most games drop in price in accordance with demand and quality except for nintendo games which keep the price up despite short game play and awful, but just like darious, when the jp game gets an all in one package after intial released with the dlc lrg who releases physical games alot later after initial release dont offer the complete game so people are going to question the release, theirs enough collectors and resellers to justify them not doing whats right and make money but for the casual fan why buy even if its a limited release of a game that is just the vanilla version

That looks like a really fun game. I’ll probably end up buying this, because I’m such a sucker for overtop Zelda like games.

Agreed, became an insta-buy once I saw the Zelda-like dungeon designs.
..exactly why LRG (et al.) crank out releases like this. The market is bigger than what one company can devour.

Thank you pricing that Shmup so high. God of War comes out a week later and will end up being cheaper thanks to GCU. Soooo no thanks.
Again, it's their standard pricing: digital price + $10, and the publisher sets the digital price.

It's not even the first time that a shmup, or a Japanese-developed game, has come in at a higher price point thanks to a more expensive digital version. Anyone familiar with LRG's releases would not be surprised by this. If anyone is turned off by the higher price, that's their choice. I don't blame them for being a little leery of more expensive titles. But it shouldn't really be unexpected.

I got my copy of Factotum 90 for vita yesterday.

The text on the back of the game cover is really difficult to read. I don't know who approves the art files but I would suggest they hire someone with graphic design knowledge to fix these covers before they go into production (I'm a graphic designer ;)) . It really doesn't make any sense to me why this still happens. I know the developer has some input but sway them into making the game art look better.

The text on the back of the game cover is really difficult to read. I don't know who approves the art files but I would suggest they hire someone with graphic design knowledge to fix these covers before they go into production (I'm a graphic designer ;)) . It really doesn't make any sense to me why this still happens. I know the developer has some input but sway them into making the game art look better.
They do all of this. I forget if it was for this or another game, but it had been mentioned that they're aware of it and hands were tied because developer doesn't just have some input, they have final say.

They do all of this. I forget if it was for this or another game, but it had been mentioned that they're aware of it and hands were tied because developer doesn't just have some input, they have final say.
This is as simple as changing the font and font size of the back cover art. It is really not that hard to say, your font doesn't look good can I suggest this change. There are other ways they could have fixed this issue if they wanted to use the same font. As a graphics person these things just drive me crazy and are easy to fix.

This is as simple as changing the font and font size of the back cover art. It is really not that hard to say, your font doesn't look good can I suggest this change. There are other ways they could have fixed this issue if they wanted to use the same font. As a graphics person these things just drive me crazy and are easy to fix.
I think you're misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. Some of their clients (developers) are adamant about what they want on the back. In this case, they ignored the suggestions made and insisted on how it is now. No amount of font sizing matters when the client says no and only wants things one way.

I think you're misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. Some of their clients (developers) are adamant about what they want on the back. In this case, they ignored the suggestions made and insisted on how it is now. No amount of font sizing matters when the client says no and only wants things one way.
Sounds like they should change that in their contracts.

Definitely overpriced not to mention It's a one vs one game with bullet hell and combat. If you played Touhou Bullet Ballet from a few years ago it's basically the same. Senko no Ronde came first though. Looks alright but no real longevity for $50 or $100.
Thanks for the honest opinion. I checked out this review from CornshaqGaming. Yeah this is an easy pass. Instead I will be likely buying a board game with that money instead.

I totally agree. This same issue has happened over and over with LRG releases. The most basic design elements are often bungled, making the back covers visually unappealing. Tiny, unreadable fonts and tiny screenshots that are too small to discern well. I've brought it up in the past, but LRG basically lets the developers do the cover designs, often resulting in poorly designed covers (both front and back). One of several reasons why I have stopped buying LRG games.

I didn't misunderstand and I am making a suggestion that maybe someone from Limited Run will read in this thread. While the client/developer is first and foremost the most important part of the relationship, I think that preserving the games with better looking artwork isn't that difficult of a task. Having someone with graphic design knowledge on staff could fix these issues that seem to happen on occasion but preserve the developers initial design with some minor tweaks.

I didn't misunderstand and I am making a suggestion that maybe someone from Limited Run will read in this thread. While the client/developer is first and foremost the most important part of the relationship, I think that preserving the games with better looking artwork isn't that difficult of a task. Having someone with graphic design knowledge on staff could fix these issues that seem to happen on occasion but preserve the developers initial design with some minor tweaks.
You're right. Having someone on staff with graphic design knowledge would cost more money.

LRG has stated multiple times that they can offer suggestions, but it's ultimately up to the devs. My guess is that it is a stipulation of the signed contract, in which case they could change (and maybe have) the contract for future signings, but most of these games releasing recently were signed some time ago. So if the devs don't want it to change, there probably isn't much LRG can do about it.

You're right. Having someone on staff with graphic design knowledge would cost more money.

LRG has stated multiple times that they can offer suggestions, but it's ultimately up to the devs. My guess is that it is a stipulation of the signed contract, in which case they could change (and maybe have) the contract for future signings, but most of these games releasing recently were signed some time ago. So if the devs don't want it to change, there probably isn't much LRG can do about it.
Honestly, this is what I always figured, but until this issue was discussed here, I had never noticed the poor quality on the backs of Vita games. Since knowing about it, I've never checked again to see which ones arrive readable and which ones don't. I get a cart case, that is roughly 4" x 5", and it's empty, minus a rather small cartridge, that can't be read anyway.

I just don't personally see this medium as needing to be improved, as it's not the best place for anything where an image should really be all that important, but to each his own. It's very apparent that most developers don't care, and that's where any issues should be placed.

fwiw it is kinda hard to judge text that small til you get a printed copy, but you would hope someone on the chain would QC it and say 'hey maybe this could be better'

Honestly, this is what I always figured, but until this issue was discussed here, I had never noticed the poor quality on the backs of Vita games. Since knowing about it, I've never checked again to see which ones arrive readable and which ones don't. I get a cart case, that is roughly 4" x 5", and it's empty, minus a rather small cartridge, that can't be read anyway.

I just don't personally see this medium as needing to be improved, as it's not the best place for anything where an image should really be all that important, but to each his own. It's very apparent that most developers don't care, and that's where any issues should be placed.
Frankly, I haven't seen too many examples of bad cover art from LRG. There have been a few, including some that they themselves have been unhappy with. Having said that, there are plenty of large publishers that deliver cover art that is hard to read or just plain badly designed on a regular basis. Capcom is notorious for spelling mistakes or even stealing watermarked artwork in one instance from a third party site. I personally think VBlank and Iam8Bit are guilty of worse design and quality issues and I don't really think most LRG buyers care too much about the occasional hard to read font.

Frankly, I haven't seen too many examples of bad cover art from LRG. There have been a few, including some that they themselves have been unhappy with. Having said that, there are plenty of large publishers that deliver cover art that is hard to read or just plain badly designed on a regular basis. Capcom is notorious for spelling mistakes or even stealing watermarked artwork in one instance from a third party site. I personally think VBlank and Iam8Bit are guilty of worse design and quality issues and I don't really think most LRG buyers care too much about the occasional hard to read font.
LOL, so true, as I think Capcom's US division is just about the worst around, as anything they touch turns to shit, so I guess they have the midas touch.

It has to be a record that Thimbleweed PS4 SE and CE are still available. I thought by the Monday after games go on sale they pull all remaining stock and throw them in blind boxes at the end of the year. Maybe because there were so many CEs they left them up. It’s kind of disappointing because P&C games are awesome, hopefully this doesn’t discourage them from picking up more in the future because of how bad Thimbleweed sold..

It has to be a record that Thimbleweed PS4 SE and CE are still available. I thought by the Monday after games go on sale they pull all remaining stock and throw them in blind boxes at the end of the year. Maybe because there were so many CEs they left them up. It’s kind of disappointing because P&C games are awesome, hopefully this doesn’t discourage them from picking up more in the future because of how bad Thimbleweed sold..
Doug mentioned that Switch sales far exceeded their expectations, so I don't think they'll blame the genre for sales. Overall, Thimbleweed may end up being their highest (cross-platform) sales total.

It's an open preorder, they said it multiple times.

Doug mentioned that Switch sales far exceeded their expectations, so I don't think they'll blame the genre for sales. Overall, Thimbleweed may end up being their highest (cross-platform) sales total.
Switch people and the people who said would pre-order actually came this time

I'm thinking they only left it up because they're hopeful switch sleepers might want to grab the ps4 version along with the switch... I mean, why not? Sure you can make blind box fodder, but if you have stragglers popping in at random, why not leave that extra game there for them to consider?

I know many here have been waiting on Rabi-Ribi, so it's looks like it's getting close.........

https://twitter.com/sekaiproject/status/982030971276054530

Yeah, I could not have guessed this one more wrong. In my mind, this was one of their biggest releases yet. Apparently not. I get that it sold well on the Switch, but not since Lawbreakers has a CE just sat there. And I don't think that one even sat there as long as this one.

They even went for the "gotta have it all" crowd by putting different exclusives in the PS4 and Switch CEs.

While I wouldn't have guessed it would've mattered, maybe the fact that the CE minus the console exclusive contents (but, with the PC version of the game and a floppy disk) could be had at any time for $40 + shipping from fangamer. Did that many people know that? Not sure.

I wouldn't have even though that the genre mattered - we've seen all manner of genres across high priced CEs sell out almost instantly. Point and click adventure games are to me what schmups are to most everyone else, I guess.

I know many here have been waiting on Rabi-Ribi, so it's looks like it's getting close.........

https://twitter.com/sekaiproject/status/982030971276054530
It was set for 2017. Then to January. Then March. And now May.

It's as if Sekai Project knew about certification and kept pushing it to the end

Disappointed there's no collectors variant that comes with the switch version of Thimbleweed. :/
Debating about getting the PC version instead...
EDIT: shit, nvm...I totally missed it RIP...

I just saw it..damn it. :/
Edit: Buying the PS4 version in hopes of being able to trade for the switch version somewhere down the line I guess...

bread's done
Back