Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Did LRG ever say if Best Buy actually placed an order for Yooka Laylee? I've been holding off on it in case the Best Buy plans were confirmed. I know they disclosed that they were approached by Best Buy, but I never saw if Best Buy moved forward.
I don't think they ever confirmed it 100%, but everything I saw about it seemed to hint it was most likely going to happen.

Speaking of Best Buy selling Limited Run Games, I wouldn't be surprised if Golf Story ends up being sold in Best Buy stores as well. It's probably the most popular Switch title they have yet to release, and it is a Switch exclusive currently, so will likely sell pretty well. This is all pure speculation on my part of course....but it makes sense.

Managed a golf ball white copy of GALF. Waiting a week or two to buy Golf Story since it’s a preorder. Budget restrictions and all that. Disappointed to see Another World sell out so quick as I wanted to pick that up down the road and hoped it wouldn’t be popular still. 1500 copies is a really small run though.
Yeah, I should have waited on Golf Story myself, but I hate to ship one game on it's own, so I put GS in with Another World. I'm not regretting either purchase, but I for sure needed to be more selective in regards to fund spending during certain times.

I think Galf is going to be highly collectible.
Even during the chip shortages of the '80s, most games still got more copies than the run they're doing for Galf. While modern cart productions like this aren't unheard of, they are still fairly rare, and usually not to the same quality standard that we're seeing for this release. It is also worth pointing out that carts with different color plastic are very rare in the US. The US standard for NES carts was grey, across the board. Only certain titles ever got not-grey. In Japan, there was no standardization on cart colors, so Famicom carts are a veritable rainbow of different shades. But here in the US, the grassy-green and golf-ball white color variants already make this a rare release for NES collectors.

Even during the chip shortages of the '80s, most games still got more copies than the run they're doing for Galf. While modern cart productions like this aren't unheard of, they are still fairly rare, and usually not to the same quality standard that we're seeing for this release. It is also worth pointing out that carts with different color plastic are very rare in the US. The US standard for NES carts was grey, across the board. Only certain titles ever got not-grey. In Japan, there was no standardization on cart colors, so Famicom carts are a veritable rainbow of different shades. But here in the US, the grassy-green and golf-ball white color variants already make this a rare release for NES collectors.
The non-standard NES cart colors were almost exclusively unlicensed games (the only licensed carts that weren’t gray that I recall were the Zelda games and if you count them the NWC carts). Anything Tengen for example was black and shaped oddly, there were really odd shaped games that game in black or a light blue (the latter being bible games), and some gold cartridges too. I don’t recall anything else from that era that diverged from the standard cart design.

You obviously haven't been following the NES market very closely. There have been a lot of very high quality releases over the past few years in much smaller runs than Galf with all sorts of variant colors and frankly, the games were a lot more interesting. Not to say that this won't be collectible too, but it's certainly not unique in the marketplace.

You obviously haven't been following the NES market very closely. There have been a lot of very high quality releases over the past few years in much smaller runs than Galf with all sorts of variant colors and frankly, the games were a lot more interesting. Not to say that this won't be collectible too, but it's certainly not unique in the marketplace.
Very much this. Larry (remake of leisure suit larry on NES) and the ET remake of the 2600 game by Khan Games were limited and they don't go for a whole lot normally. Don't get me wrong, I love that they are doing this as I would love to see more 8bit style games getting back ported to original hardware (I'm looking at you Retro City Rampage) but it's very much a niche collecting group when they aren't official releases.

I'm amazed that Golf Story Winner's Edition is still in stock (11%)!  I woke up late this morning thinking I missed out and would have to wait for the afternoon release... but got in still.

The description says only 3,000 would be from LR.  Does that mean they released all 3,000 this morning for pre-order and aren't going to do a second release later today?

I'm amazed that Golf Story Winner's Edition is still in stock (11%)! I woke up late this morning thinking I missed out and would have to wait for the afternoon release... but got in still.

The description says only 3,000 would be from LR. Does that mean they released all 3,000 this morning for pre-order and aren't going to do a second release later today?
Just doing a little math, with 11% remaining and 191 remaining, I think they put up just under 2000 this morning (possibly 1900) and the other 1000 will be this afternoon. It's possible this afternoon will be less than 1000 since they have to hold some extra copies for damages, trade shows, promotions, and of course to send to the small retail game shops that stock the games. Also the other 1000 (of the 4000) is being released by Fangamer.

@$80 +... what was it.. $12 in shipping... I'm not shocked it's still available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just doing a little math, with 11% remaining and 191 remaining, I think they put up just under 2000 this morning (possibly 1900) and the other 1000 will be this afternoon. It's possible this afternoon will be less than 1000 since they have to hold some extra copies for damages, trade shows, promotions, and of course to send to the small retail game shops that stock the games. Also the other 1000 (of the 4000) is being released by Fangamer.

@$80 +... what was it.. $12 in shipping... I'm not shocked it's still available.

IMO the pricing is well in-line for most other LR CE's that I've seen (even though shipping is a few $ more because of the trophy). Most Switch CE's from LR don't last over 1 hour (and some sell out in minutes). Maybe people are getting wallet fatigue from all the CE's coming out? (I know I am...)

Very much this. Larry (remake of leisure suit larry on NES) and the ET remake of the 2600 game by Khan Games were limited and they don't go for a whole lot normally. Don't get me wrong, I love that they are doing this as I would love to see more 8bit style games getting back ported to original hardware (I'm looking at you Retro City Rampage) but it's very much a niche collecting group when they aren't official releases.
I think LRG has built up its name to the point Galf is likely to be more popular than those other releases.

Yes, marketing has a significant effect on demand. Technically, there's nothing stopping anyone from creating their own custom NES game these days. And if you only ever make one copy, then you have technically produced the rarest NES title. But demand is more than just simple rarity.

A lot of the hobby and small-scale modern NES games don't get nearly as much collector demand because nobody knows about them. This Galf release doesn't have that problem. Galf is a sub-game that is playable from within Golf Story. It has a built-in audience thanks to being integrated inside a reasonably popular and well-known modern indie game. This gives it an awareness that most small-scale modern NES games just never receive.

This is almost the route that developers have to go if they want to market 8 and/or 16-bit legacy titles. Older systems aren't nearly as accessible as game play platforms. You can't market releases like that to a broad audience. Collectors are the only ones who have the equipment necessary to play those titles. General audiences don't own original NES, or SNES, or Genesis consoles. And with modern displays, a lot of those older systems don't even work right on modern screens. Even if a casual gamer did own one of those older systems, they wouldn't necessarily have the TV needed to utilize it properly. However, if you embed an older-themed game within a modern game, it is possible to make that older game available to a large, modern audience. That awareness and exposure will help to translate into demand for a physical release.

Also, there is no way you could get Retro-City Rampage running on a NES. No way. It was already a stretch for the developer to get it running on DOS. And DOS has WAY more resources available to it than the original NES. It might, MIGHT be possible to get RCR to work on a SNES. But not a NES, that's asking too much. There was a lot you could do within the restraints of the NES, but those finite limits were finite, and everyone eventually moved on to 16-bit. De-makes are great and all, but there is only so far you can push them.

Also, there is no way you could get Retro-City Rampage running on a NES. No way. It was already a stretch for the developer to get it running on DOS. And DOS has WAY more resources available to it than the original NES. It might, MIGHT be possible to get RCR to work on a SNES. But not a NES, that's asking too much. There was a lot you could do within the restraints of the NES, but those finite limits were finite, and everyone eventually moved on to 16-bit. De-makes are great and all, but there is only so far you can push them.
Not true, there's already a dump of it he just didn't have room for the audio. Brian Provinciano is a fucking wizard. Check this out, super impressive! I've got the rom of Rom City Rampage but it doesn't work on flash cart due to not having his mapper.
https://youtu.be/Hvx4xXhZMrU

Also, if you guys haven't checked out The Legend of Link it's SUPER impressive. Definitely my favorite Zelda game on the NES, it weighs in at 2MB! I've made several carts of it, I love it!
https://youtu.be/puBPZO01jAY

Also, if you guys haven't checked out The Legend of Link it's SUPER impressive. Definitely my favorite Zelda game on the NES, it weighs in at 2MB! I've made several carts of it, I love it!
https://youtu.be/puBPZO01jAY
Haven't tried that before, what donor does that require? I used a fire emblem gaiden cart for my famicom wars english repro

Haven't tried that before, what donor does that require? I used a fire emblem gaiden cart for my famicom wars english repro
There's actually 2 versions of the rom (more really but 2 that use different boards). The 2014 release which has more slowdown using a ETROM board and the final 2017 version uses an EWROM board that has 32k RAM on it. You can actually convert ETROM boards to accept the 32k ram modules, it's super easy on the NES version as there's a selector for it on the board (just solder 2 joints together) but on the Famicom counterparts it requires you to pull up a leg from the mmc5 mapper and then tie it to the new ram you installed with a separate wire.

Not true, there's already a dump of it he just didn't have room for the audio. Brian Provinciano is a fucking wizard.
And the fact that it doesn't have audio just proves my point. You are correct, the man is a wizard. I won't deny that, his coding prowess is legit. But even he couldn't squeeze all of his game onto the NES. It is also likely that more than a few concessions were probably made in getting a NES rom version of RCR running. (a few concessions were already made for the DOS version) The NES was a dated and technically limited system when it was released. In this day and age it is incredibly limited. If you aren't developing a game specifically for it, de-making an existing title is a study in frustration. Many modern design principles are just not possible within the technical restraints that the NES imposes. For crying out loud, you can't have a persistent save system on the NES without installing a physical battery on the cartridge. There's so much that we take for granted these days.

Repro carts and modern games made for legacy systems are great, but they are an extreme fringe case for development. Most developers aren't looking to set the way-back machine that far back. I know that I personally wouldn't be interested in anything before the Genesis, and probably the SNES. Screw it, let's be honest, I wouldn't be interested in anything pre-Dreamcast. I'm spoiled by GPUs.

Was hoping to get Galf but lingered on another page too long.  Oh well, it's not a original game for the system so it doesn't have the same meaning.

There's actually 2 versions of the rom (more really but 2 that use different boards). The 2014 release which has more slowdown using a ETROM board and the final 2017 version uses an EWROM board that has 32k RAM on it. You can actually convert ETROM boards to accept the 32k ram modules, it's super easy on the NES version as there's a selector for it on the board (just solder 2 joints together) but on the Famicom counterparts it requires you to pull up a leg from the mmc5 mapper and then tie it to the new ram you installed with a separate wire.
gonna have to see if I have any spare ETROM or EWROM carts still in surplus, chewed through most of my dupes when I was doing repos with donors, do you sell your repos somewhere?

Hey at least a bunch more GALF copies showed up on eBay immediately at $150+, I've been selling off all my sealed LRG stuff recently, after collecting since the first release I still don't even have enough of those tickets to do anything useful with them

gonna have to see if I have any spare ETROM or EWROM carts still in surplus, chewed through most of my dupes when I was doing repos with donors, do you sell your repos somewhere?
I've sold a few locally. I mostly do retro console mods, Hi-Def NES etc.

You haven't been here long enough. Initial releases after the first 2 or so were just as bad.
I don't know man, that was quicker than the Jaws Mondo release a couple months back and I managed to get in on that. No surprise given maybe the 150 or so copies left of the white ones.

Well damn, I see a shit ton of those listed, so if everyone just waits it out, the prices will get to normal. Sadly I don't think that will happen, but it could. Some of these flippers really just price themselves out of the game, as you really need to price right if you want to move something like this with tons of other offerings. This is for sure a rare offering, but it seems every copy is going to the secondary market, so it may be possible for a some better prices in a few months.

Well damn, I see a shit ton of those listed, so if everyone just waits it out, the prices will get to normal. Sadly I don't think that will happen, but it could. Some of these flippers really just price themselves out of the game, as you really need to price right if you want to move something like this with tons of other offerings. This is for sure a rare offering, but it seems every copy is going to the secondary market, so it may be possible for a some better prices in a few months.
Considering the megabundle is still up for 359 (what I did and will sell off the stuff i don't want) some of the prices are nuts. I'm just amazed how anyone has time to get 4 in general, assuming different account, even with bots.

Lol at calling people crybabies, I’m sure most of the people in this thread know the LRG shtick. Miss a game, vent a little, and move on.

My alarm didn't go off at 6, so I didn't get a second chance at Galf :(

I probably would have been too slow. I wish they printed more of these. NES is HIGHLY collectible, arguably the most collectible gaming platform of all time. I knew they'd sell out super fast. Funny, at 10:00 AM, I was distracted by the Senate doing everything they could to crush what faith I had left in humanity and by the time I realized what time it was, Galf had already sold out. That was at 10:03 AM.

My alarm didn't go off at 6, so I didn't get a second chance at Galf :(

I probably would have been too slow. I wish they printed more of these. NES is HIGHLY collectible, arguably the most collectible gaming platform of all time. I knew they'd sell out super fast. Funny, at 10:00 AM, I was distracted by the Senate doing everything they could to crush what faith I had left in humanity and by the time I realized what time it was, Galf had already sold out. That was at 10:03 AM.
So you got screwed by Kavanaugh too?

Too soon? 😂

If you want the Golf Story CE its still in stock and probably will be for a few more days.  This is by far the longest one of their Switch CEs has been available but that likely has to do with a combination of the price, print size and copies being available at Fangamer in the future.  That said, LRG is prone to overreacting and hope they don't severely limit future Switch CE prints based on this one not selling out right away.  Most of their other Switch CEs have sold out in a few minutes.

bread's done
Back