Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Wow, yeah there's still 1000 of the GS CE! I guess 2,000 if you count those available later... That's crazy. But I guess it's the perfect storm: large CE run, will be sold later, everybody wanted Galf, cool extras that aren't part of the CE, and basically $40 for a plastic trophy.

I'm also wondering what the quality of Galf will be. The whole project grosses $67,500. (1500 cartridges x $45). That's really not that much money. How much could they pay a guy to program the game?

tbh I'm shocked that all this CE crap still gets complete sellouts.  They've obviously reached a very large audience at this point.  On the backbone of forums like ours, no less. 

I actually quite like the contents in the Golf Story CE. All the Switch CEs after they stopped doing steelbooks have been total crap. This one at least comes with some neat stuff for fans of the game.

I actually quite like the contents in the Golf Story CE. All the Switch CEs after they stopped doing steelbooks have been total crap. This one at least comes with some neat stuff for fans of the game.
Yeah, this set was for sure fan service, as I haven't played the game yet, so everything included was a total "?" for me. LOL

Of course once I play the game, then all this stuff may take on a different level of interest for me. That being said, some CE's appeal to one group, while others may appeal to another. If they did the same type each time, it would probably get boring to most, so a mix & mash of different offerings is always cool for fans in general(hardcore & casual).

520 of the Golf Story CE's remain.  Seems like they'll sell out eventually since they had 1000 a couple days ago.  It probably hurts a little that this CE doesn't ship till January if everything goes as planned.

520 of the Golf Story CE's remain. Seems like they'll sell out eventually since they had 1000 a couple days ago. It probably hurts a little that this CE doesn't ship till January if everything goes as planned.
Nothing ever goes as planned. It would take them a year to catch up on shipping out releases they've already sold.

Yeah, I've got 17 unshipped orders currently.  It's basically turned into a Kickstarter for various limited game releases.

Yeah, I've got 17 unshipped orders currently. It's basically turned into a Kickstarter for various limited game releases.
While I more than understand the feelings of your post, comparing LRG to KS is just not very accurate(not even close). Game related KS are often years in the making(minimum of 2 years), only to under deliver what was promised, or not deliver certain things at all. All of these LRG delays are a pain, but the delays are nothing "unknown" to anyone, as it's boldly typed in each listing that certain games are not in hand, and have to be produced. Has anyone here ever not gotten what they bought? Or felt it wasn't what was promised?

If KS operated anywhere near the level that LRG does, it probably wouldn't have the bad wrap it does. And in no way is LRG perfect, as I probably have 20 outstanding orders at this point, but I knew I wasn't getting anyone of them soon, so it's no surprise. Even my most long waits from LRG have been in the 4-5 month window(not counting SkullGirls), and I may get a few publications from KS within that window of time.

I have yet to have LRG tell me a game I paid for won't be happening, and would I like to switch to a different platform(or sorry, your funds are just gone because we wasted them). I have also not had a single game arrive, that was not exactly what was advertised or described by them. So yeah, I get these delays suck, but LRG isn't anywhere near the level of poor practices I have seen at KS, and even if anyone of these issues did happen, so long as they are within 6 months, Paypal has your back. The very minute your funds go to KS, they are gone, with no way of retrieving them unless the developer decides to give them back, which we all know rarely if ever happens.

In other news:

Sales tax going to be charged for the following states starting today: Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Full statement here: https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/sales-tax

Also this,

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1046761522003935232

Make sure you're on the waiting list if you missed out.

In other news:

Sales tax going to be charged for the following states starting today: Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Full statement here: https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/sales-tax
Well, I wish I could say I was surprised, but I've seen our government at work for a lifetime, and they always get their share if it's owed or not. LOL I dodged the bullet for now, but I'm sure NV will be added at some point, but our lack of state taxes might keep me on the no fly list for a good while(fingers crossed).

I gotta give LRG props for relisting some of the cancelled orders for Galf at $500 so the bots would get them.  Hilarious.  The only downside is that when the people realize what happened they'll probably do a fraud dispute or something which will only create more mess for LRG to clean up.

It's kind of disgusting that they still haven't solved the issue of bots buying games... surprised they haven't just done a captcha solution to help.

Not hilarious seeing taxes creep in, but that's not unexpected.  My state isn't on the list yet but I expect it will eventually get on there.

As far as LRG being compared to Kickstarter, only the Skull Girls thing was directly comparable to a KS since the game was re-entering development hell after the purchases were all made.  That wasn't the kind of preorder I wanted in order to mitigate the friday slaughter releases tended to be at the time.  Beyond that, no, these preorders aren't like KS.

That really sucks they are charging taxes now and of course Oklahoma is on the list. -_-

Also, does anyone know if there will be any new releases on Friday? I was waiting on Yooka Laylee and Golf Story to see if something else gets released I want and then order all of them together.

Pretty much every state in the union has Use Taxes so you’re responsible for paying those taxes anyway. Just because it’s not policed properly doesn’t mean it’s not owed. I go through this spiel every time taxes are brought up so I’m just going to remind people they exist and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody got a shipping confirmation on Night Trap yet? I thought they were supposed to start shipping last week, but I have yet to hear from LRG about mine.

Information Drop from the Discord - subject to change:

If I had to speculate on the latest hints with an overview of the schedule:
10/05 -- Layers of Fear (PS4 / Switch)
10/12 -- "something broken" --> Broken Age (Switch), "something 8-bit and/or a bloody month that stains your hands" --> Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4), and "something [...] that was in Stranger Things Season 2" --> Dragon's Lair Trilogy (PS4)
10/19 -- "a quest of dense" --> Defender's Quest (PS4 / Vita), "some mages" --> Mages of Mystralia (PS4) and "something legitimately huge" --> :mecho: (PS4)
10/26 -- "something that lasts with people for a long time" --> Outlast compilation (Switch)
11/02 -- Rabi-Ribi (PS4 / Vita)

Also, Cosmic Star Heroine - Expected to receive from Sony the week of Oct. 9th.

Information Drop from the Discord - subject to change:

If I had to speculate on the latest hints with an overview of the schedule:
10/05 -- Layers of Fear (PS4 / Switch)
10/12 -- "something broken" --> Broken Age (Switch), "something 8-bit and/or a bloody month that stains your hands" --> Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4), and "something [...] that was in Stranger Things Season 2" --> Dragon's Lair Trilogy (PS4)
10/19 -- "a quest of dense" --> Defender's Quest (PS4 / Vita), "some mages" --> Mages of Mystralia (PS4) and "something legitimately huge" --> :mecho: (PS4)
10/26 -- "something that lasts with people for a long time" --> Outlast compilation (Switch)
11/02 -- Rabi-Ribi (PS4 / Vita)

Also, Cosmic Star Heroine - Expected to receive from Sony the week of Oct. 9th.
Wait, there were three Dragon’s Lair games?!?

yes

DragonsLairTrilogy-Art.jpg

As Olengie points out, 3 games, but only 2 where Dragon's Lair. But since forever, all three have been referred to as the DL trilogy, but technically it's only two, as Space Ace is of a different stock I suppose. I'm a fan, and I own all 3 in Blu-Rays on my PS3, but if they have added an all in one menu, or any type of upgrade, I may grab it for the PS4.

Might have to get Dragon's lair as well. Went to an arcade that had the original, and hoo boy that game is fun but unfair lol.
LOL, once you learn it, your good to go as it's all about the patterns. Some machines can crank the difficulty up, which makes it much harder, as you then have to place moves at the perfect time. I don't even play that way, as it's just beyond ridiculous!

Back when DL2 was first released in arcades(actually a test machine before it was official), me and my 2 friends could play from start to finish on 1 man. Watch some videos of that game, and you'll see that's no small feat. For sure one of my greatest gaming moments, as that wasn't even at home, but in the arcade. Hell, now I'm lucky if I can get off the first stage without losing all my men.

Played Dragon's Lair back in the 80's at arcades when it first came to town.  Tough game at the time because it wasn't clear what action was required to get through each area before memorizing everything.  Still, beautiful animation, sounds, and a fun spectacle.  Seeing the veil lifted on the absolute simplicity of the game and how difficulty was controlled through closing the input window, it's easy for me to not get that excited about these games.  Watching them, sure, I'd watch a video as a reminder and then move on from the nostalgia.  My favorite laser disc game of the day was Cliff Hangar.  That's before I knew what Lupin the 3rd was and ultimately how much I would totally love it.  It wasn't even the game I loved as much as the characters and animation.  Road Blaster was also pretty decent, though equally shallow like all of these games.

I'm wondering about that potential Bloodstained Curse of the Moon physical version... is it really only going to be PS4?  I might be swayed by a physical Switch copy.

Watching them, sure, I'd watch a video as a reminder and then move on from the nostalgia. My favorite laser disc game of the day was Cliff Hangar. That's before I knew what Lupin the 3rd was and ultimately how much I would totally love it. It wasn't even the game I loved as much as the characters and animation. Road Blaster was also pretty decent, though equally shallow like all of these games.
Yeah, FMV games are for sure a guilty pleasure of mine, and I felt the same way about Cliff Hanger as well(I actually own a coin-op). I'll often put on Space Ace or DL in view mode, and just sit back and enjoy the show. Road Blaster/Avenger as well as games like Cobra Command are some of the better titles, as they offered a unique take on the normal FMV type games. And I don't find them nearly as boring as the normal Dragon's Lair offerings.

Now that's actually a book I would like to see, and that's the history of FMV games, as there have been some really great offerings over the years. Having an all in one source would be amazing, as there are many games unique to the home, as well as the arcade. Anyone here ever played Fox Hunt on the PS1? Or Dragon's Lair on the Gameboy Color? FMV games have really had a diverse history, although a very under appreciated one as well.

Yeah, FMV games are for sure a guilty pleasure of mine, and I felt the same way about Cliff Hanger as well(I actually own a coin-op). I'll often put on Space Ace or DL in view mode, and just sit back and enjoy the show. Road Blaster/Avenger as well as games like Cobra Command are some of the better titles, as they offered a unique take on the normal FMV type games. And I don't find them nearly as boring as the normal Dragon's Lair offerings.

Now that's actually a book I would like to see, and that's the history of FMV games, as there have been some really great offerings over the years. Having an all in one source would be amazing, as there are many games unique to the home, as well as the arcade. Anyone here ever played Fox Hunt on the PS1? Or Dragon's Lair on the Gameboy Color? FMV games have really had a diverse history, although a very under appreciated one as well.
I never played Fox Hunt but I know it's a FMV "Spy Thriller" with that dude from Mad TV. I assume it's just like Wirehead. I never saw Fox Hunt at retail but I do remember ads in EGM and Gamepro. I believe Capcom published it.

Yeah FMV always get a bad rap but I enjoyed most for what they were. Speaking of FMV games. I bought Mega Race off of GOG recently.

I'll believe it when I see it. While LRG hasn't failed to deliver, Sekai has done a marvelous job of it.
It is now listed on their release calendar for Nov 2, along with 2 TBA switch games and 3 sets of TBA PS4 and Vita games for Oct/Nov

I never played Fox Hunt but I know it's a FMV "Spy Thriller" with that dude from Mad TV. I assume it's just like Wirehead. I never saw Fox Hunt at retail but I do remember ads in EGM and Gamepro. I believe Capcom published it.

Yeah FMV always get a bad rap but I enjoyed most for what they were. Speaking of FMV games. I bought Mega Race off of GOG recently.
WOW, I don't think I've ever heard of MegaRace before, and after looking it up, I see why. It was a DOS, Sega CD and 3DO release, all three of which I didn't own at the time(or followed much for that matter). I did buy a Sega CDX years after release, and that's when I got in to games like Snatcher and other FMV games like Time Gal, Cobra Command Etc. Sadly, the Sega CD versions where the worst versions, so I barely played any of the games, and mostly bought for my collection.

Yeah, I never saw Fox Hunt at retail either, and only found out about years ago when I started emulating PS1 on one of my devices. It's for sure similar to wirehead, and that was another game I had never heard of at the time. The PS1 was possibly the biggest avenue of FMV games, as it was the next big thing when it was released, so it got a very wide selection of all types of games(Virtual Sex 2 anyone?). This is why I think a book would be a great idea, as there are so many games in this genre that even me being a fan, have never seen, played or even heard of.

Hmm. Layers of Fear is a go for me and will allow me to combine with a copy of Golf Story to save on shipping. 

I'm pretty excited for October, especially with the mystery "biggest PS4 project ever" title that's supposedly coming. I'm wondering if it's some digital only game owned by a major label that has agreed to allow LRG to distribute or something.  

Also, if the Switch Outlast collection rumor is correct I will probably double dip on that. 

Sadly, the Sega CD versions where the worst versions, so I barely played any of the games, and mostly bought for my collection.
The Sega CD version of Snatcher is actually quite a good version. Of course, I realize you were most likely referring to the FMV games, which had notoriously bad/low quality video on the Sega CD. The compression just wasn't there at the time, and even if it had been, the Sega CD's limited hardware probably couldn't handle it.

Personally, I don't own a copy of Dragon's Lair, and always wanted one. I do hope they would be able to provide high-quality video for a physical release on a PS4 Blu-Ray disc. Those suckers can easily contain proper high-definition remasters of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. As a fan of classic animation, I would really like to get my hands on some high-definition Don Bluth games.

I have Dragon's Lair Trilogy for the Wii. I'd assume the PS4 versions are higher quality, but people are saying otherwise? Can anyone confirm?

The Sega CD version of Snatcher is actually quite a good version. Of course, I realize you were most likely referring to the FMV games, which had notoriously bad/low quality video on the Sega CD. The compression just wasn't there at the time, and even if it had been, the Sega CD's limited hardware probably couldn't handle it.

Personally, I don't own a copy of Dragon's Lair, and always wanted one. I do hope they would be able to provide high-quality video for a physical release on a PS4 Blu-Ray disc. Those suckers can easily contain proper high-definition remasters of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. As a fan of classic animation, I would really like to get my hands on some high-definition Don Bluth games.
Yeah, Snatcher was an amazing game and probably one of my top 10 games of all time, maybe even top 5. It is probably my most played game in regards to times played and finished, which is about 5-6 currently(I'm a few years overdue for another playthru). The NES Super Mario Bros is maybe the only other game I finished more times.

As stated, the FMV of the Sega CD for sure had compression issues, which is why I hope most FMV games of that time can get remade(the games that never saw release elsewhere anyways), as "video" related games should have a minimum in regards to the quality. And most of those Sea CD games fell way short, as most where almost non playable due to that poor overall quality.

I would hope the Trilogy would use the Blu-Ray sources for their video, as those looks amazing on the PS3 or whatever BR player someone might be using. So at least if someone may find the gameplay lacking(which is more than possible), at least you can watch an amazing video of some of Don Bluth's best offerings.

Anyone have any clue what the Wii U title Josh talked about "saving" on twitter. He said they won't break even at this point due to the complications of the project.

So LRG is doing a Wii U title now? Interesting!
Josh talks about how LRG was essentially screwed by a company they partnered with, and this is the aftermath. Go read his twitter for the full story, but his original post is listed below. He also said we should temper our expectations, meaning this isn't a title that most would get excited for...

After a year of struggle and *a lot* of lost money, our only Wii U release will arrive at our office this month. We won't make anything on it (or even come close to breaking even), but at least it'll actually see the light of day.

Josh talks about how LRG was essentially screwed by a company they partnered with, and this is the aftermath. Go read his twitter for the full story, but his original post is listed below. He also said we should temper our expectations, meaning this isn't a title that most would get excited for...

After a year of struggle and *a lot* of lost money, our only Wii U release will arrive at our office this month. We won't make anything on it (or even come close to breaking even), but at least it'll actually see the light of day.
Isn't this just the WiiU version of Axiom Verge?

bread's done
Back