Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Seems like the best overall solution for PS1 & PS2 is to just track down an original PS3 with BC. That would at least lump three systems into one HDMI. That is, if you actually have a library of those games.
If you aren't super tied to using the original systems, then yeah probably. Some people swear by nuances in various versions of the systems (original ps1 systems were considered to have a really good audio dac for the price point), personally I've been fine just using my launch ps3 as my ps1/2/3 system, though I did have a YLOD scare.

I think I might get the PS2 HDMI cable. I'd probably enjoy the BC PS3 but I already have one and I'm not sure I can deal with the YLOD scare.

Plus I actually have my PS2 already connected through S-Video and I have a pretty stacked HD Loader. But it kinda looks like shit, that's all.

Don't mention PCSX2. Amazing tech but I don't have time for it. Need to be able to plop in any DVD on demand and just play.

I'm kinda bummed we have yet to receive a concrete shipping date for Cosmic Star Heroine CE and SMRPG CE. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Pound cables are decent and not amazing. They're good in a pinch, for their ease of use and if someone isn't too big on graphical/audio details, but usually a workaround works better.
I have a PS2 with the original composite (?) cables, the red/yellow/white ones. Is there a specific brand/model composite to HDMI converter you would recommend that's comparable pricewise to the Pound cable, and the pros/cons of one over the other (e.g. input lag?).

I have a PS2 with the original composite (?) cables, the red/yellow/white ones. Is there a specific brand/model composite to HDMI converter you would recommend that's comparable pricewise to the Pound cable, and the pros/cons of one over the other (e.g. input lag?).
Although it is not price comparable to the Pound Cable the best composite to HDMI adapter is the RetroTink 2X. Unfortunately it costs $100 and there's a 30-60 day wait to get one. There is no input lag with the RetroTink 2X.

I'm kinda bummed we have yet to receive a concrete shipping date for Cosmic Star Heroine CE and SMRPG CE. :/
On the production page (link above in chrislaustin's post) it states the CSH games arrive on the 18th and all the content is already there to put together the CE's and they expect to start shipping them on the 22nd.

SMRPG CE is still waiting on the figures it seems. They have noted that they were supposed to arrive earlier this month... but since the page was updated Monday, it would appear that they haven't shown up yet or there is some issue with what did show up.

The production page was one of those things many of us here discussed wanting. The initial response was overly negative that it would be too much work to maintain a single html page and they couldn't do it. There was plenty of backlash as well for discussing wanting it after LRG chimed in that it wouldn't happen. In the end, they did it anyway and it's a great tool for anyone that is tracking what is going on with their LRG purchases.

:beer:

The production page was one of those things many of us here discussed wanting. The initial response was overly negative that it would be too much work to maintain a single html page and they couldn't do it. There was plenty of backlash as well for discussing wanting it after LRG chimed in that it wouldn't happen. In the end, they did it anyway and it's a great tool for anyone that is tracking what is going on with their LRG purchases.

:beer:
Yeah, I remember being one of the folks who thought it would be pointless because people wouldn't bother to check it anyway, but I was wrong. It seems like most people still don't bother to check it when they have a question (or don't realize it exists), but whenever someone drops a link to it here it usually helps several people at once. I've checked it a few times myself and it's really helpful. Glad they've been keeping up with it.

Probably best to go with ecwfan's recommendation. The only converter of any sort I have is an Etekcity VGA to HDMI scaler/converter that works great, but it looks like the company has moved away from converters as all of them are unavailable on Amazon and they aren't on Etekcity's website anymore.

Although it is not price comparable to the Pound Cable the best composite to HDMI adapter is the RetroTink 2X. Unfortunately it costs $100 and there's a 30-60 day wait to get one. There is no input lag with the RetroTink 2X.

Yeah, I remember being one of the folks who thought it would be pointless because people wouldn't bother to check it anyway, but I was wrong. It seems like most people still don't bother to check it when they have a question (or don't realize it exists), but whenever someone drops a link to it here it usually helps several people at once. I've checked it a few times myself and it's really helpful. Glad they've been keeping up with it.
Yeah, I was one of the ones who pushed for a regularly updated dispatch list, and while I knew many would never look it up, I knew many would. LRG was always stating how much time staff spent answering questions about shipping updates, but where hell bent not to make a proper list with proper updates, and that was just being stubborn. I've yet to use it once for myself(as I'm in no rush), but each time someone ask a shipping question here, I pull it up and it's always answered the question being ask.

I'm sure once all this NS and 2+ months minimum orders started, they flood waters got to high I'm sure, and they had no choice but to have a proper list and keep it updated. I'm all for running a business how the owner(s) may see fit, but some shit is just basic common sense, and having a proper list like the one offered was always, and always will be a good idea.

You could get component cables if your set can take it as input

dunno who linked the LRG thing but thanks! answers all my questions about when my stuff is coming

I'm glad I kept my Gamestop video cable that has component to PS2/Gamecube/Wii/Xbox.
I know you're bringing this up in the context of the PS2, but does it actually provide component output from the Gamecube? My understanding is that the official GC component cables had a proprietary chip in them which essentially prevented other companies from making component cables.

I know you're bringing this up in the context of the PS2, but does it actually provide component output from the Gamecube? My understanding is that the official GC component cables had a proprietary chip in them which essentially prevented other companies from making component cables.
I don't actually know. It's labeled with it, but I never actually used it with a GC, since my Wii played GC games.

Edit: Actually, it has composite video also, so maybe that's why it has the GC label.

My understanding is that the official GC component cables had a proprietary chip in them which essentially prevented other companies from making component cables.
Still one of the best deal/purchases I got from a GameStop. I found out about these cables while I was in college, while the GameCube was still fresh. I kept an eye out, and eventually found a used GameCube component cable that had been traded into my local GameStop. $12 purchase. Even back then it was a good deal, as the original on-line price was $40, and it never saw a sale, being available only from Nintendo's on-line store. Those bloody things now go for $250+, even used. I still have mine, but will never sell it. (too valuable of a collector's piece)

These days, a savvy gamer usually just picks up an early-model Wii along with some Wii component cable. The GameCube-compatible Wii models will play GameCube titles in 480p if they support it. This feature has made the need for those rare component cables much less necessary for general consumers. Used Wiis are comparatively inexpensive, and give you access to a huge number of games. And the component cables for the Wii don't feature any sort of proprietary lock-out, and are a dime a dozen. A much more affordable solution for anyone hoping to get a sharper GameCube experience.

There are also a couple HDMI adapters available for the GC now. They’re $100-$150 but that’s still cheaper than GC component cables
Damn, that's insane, I had no clue about the GC component cables being so sought after and valuable. I need to go look for mine, as I have no clue if I still have them or not? I had my original launch system until I got the Panasonic Q, and I'm sure I got rid of my OG system in or around that time. I'm pretty sure I would have kept the cables for the Q, but I did sell that off ages ago as well, and the cables may have gone with it, I'm really not sure?

Yeah, the GC component cables were only ever sold directly through Nintendo's own website store. And this was back in the day when ordering things on-line was a lot less common. Nintendo never really advertised these things, and while there are quite a large number of GC games that support 480p, not many people knew about these cables at the time. And they even removed the port for the component cables in a later GC hardware revision, in order to cut back on manufacturing costs. So later-model GCs can't even use the bloody things. You have to have an earlier-model GC just to use the component cables.

Thanks to all of these factors, Nintendo never produced these cables in bulk, and they are now extremely rare. The actual need for them has lowered considerably, but their extreme scarcity and unique functionality make them highly desirable for collectors. Retro-themed FPGA systems like the Super NT and upcoming Mega SG allow for high-quality up-scaling of legacy games. But FPGA's have finite limits on the kind of systems they can simulate, and the more complicated the circuitry that you're trying to imitate, the harder and more complex the programming for them becomes. So an FPGA-fueled N64 or GameCube are extremely unlikely. Solutions for getting these middle-systems to output high-quality digital signals are pricey and convoluted.

Yeah, it's too bad nobody was ever able to straight up clone the chip the cables used and release an affordable clone, I got some awhile back from Goldenshop, probably gonna unload them at this point considering how high the cables are going for

GC didn't come with component cables. So if you didn't specifically buy one, you don't have one.
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned I bought some direct, and moved them from system to system, I just don't know where they ended up?

I'm pretty sure I probably sold them with one of the 2 GC I owned, but I often sell things as original, so I may have kept those cables out because of that and sold them seperate, or not at all. Even if by some miracle I still have the cables, they could be almost any place, as I have boxes around my house that haven't seen daylight in decades. LOL

Well, I just checked the one easy spot I thought the cables could be, and ran across a gold N64 controller I didn't even know I had. So while not what I was looking for, it seems to be a special item from Nintendo Power that I probably used very little if at all. So this will for sure be going on the "to sell" pile very soon, and I'll use the proceeds to get the Hori Mini N64 controller I always wanted.

Now to get back to the cable search. LOL

Here are the HDMI options

$99 https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home

$150 https://www.amazon.com/GCHD-Gamecube-HDMI-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B078ZLMQH9

I can’t speak to which is better. I know the first one fried MetalJesus’s GC but it’s since been redesigned to prevent that
I think they're basically the same fundamental design, the EON has an extra connector that plugs into the regular tv outport that's purely there to hold the plug in place better, the connection being loose on the other one is what fried metaljesus' GC because the adapter could jiggle and cross lines. The EON was also $50 off a week or two ago from purplegorilla but I wouldn't expect to see that happen in the immediate future again

I have the Eon adapter and it works great. It has an on-screen menu where you can toggle between resolutions, enable/disable scanlines, etc. I used to have the official component cable but sold it when I was hard up for cash. Think I got $150-175 for it at the time (which was about the going rate). Now I wish I kept it because it's worth double that! I still have a backwards compatible Wii with official component cables if I absolutely have to play the games with analog video. I mainly bought the Eon adapter to play GBA games on the Game Boy Player in 480p, as there is no other (official) way of doing so.

The CARBY from Insurrection Industries is probably the best and cheapest ($75 shipped with HDMI cable and remote) solution currently for HDMI on the GC. It's also the only solution using a reproduction metal connector. I got mine a few weeks ago and it is awesome and the connector looks exactly like the original Nintendo connector.

"October" according to their production updates page: https://www.limitedrungames.com/pages/production-updates

It seems like a majority of the open items are supposed to ship in October, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting delayed.
Cool - thanks! I had no idea such a production page existed. That's real useful!

Very excited to find out when LRG takes orders for Kohime Enbu - definitely next one I want to get!

8-Bit Adventures sold out.

Layers of Fear is at 901 copies while claiming 31% remain. So between an hour after the first batch on Friday and this morning it's sold 102 copies. Amazing to see it only get 192 copies sold with the friday drop. I guess people just didn't show up.

Looking back through the thread... DoubeDam21 posted on Tuesday that 8-Bit Adventures Anthology was coming on friday with a mystery ps4 game. Not knowing what that was, I didn't think anything of it until chrislaustin posted on Thursday with the link to the game showing up on the LRG site for the next day and how he didn't see this [NES Games on PS4] coming and his negative stance on NES point&click adventure games.

I typically only follow this one thread for everything LRG. I don't have the time to track one company through so many avenues of media (multiple twitter accounts, discord, their own forums, their often neglected site, their content on Reddit, various random interviews, ... and so on). They are so scatterbrained with their advertising and posting cryptic messages such as ... "something 8-bit and/or a bloody month that stains your hands" it's just not worth the effort to track it all when I buy maybe 4% of what they sell. I'm super thankful that those that follow all the randomness of LRG posts about it here and make this a central repository for what the company is up to.
I am too, because I don't follow the discord (and have no plans too). So I appreciate the updates being posted here about that.

It's worth it to follow them at the very least on Twitter (LRG, Josh and Doug), sometimes information can slip through the cracks and they'll "almost always" post there 1st with info.

But even this thread is missing info....(take that for what you will) ;-)

I felt like a reply was due since it was pointed out that one release was common knowledge for a month yet no one here talked about it until the week of release.
Edit: Also please don't misrepresent my wording in a statement.

I never said it was common knowledge, I specifically said "This was not a stealth release."

With careful choice with how I worded it.

Source:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/996423329262292992

(Note: He posted this May 15th, with health issues and work it didn't feel that long ago....but it's been out there for five months)

If overlooked in May, then people need to start watching his twitter feed closer. That's not me being critical, just saying there might be other things people have missed.

I have the Eon adapter and it works great. It has an on-screen menu where you can toggle between resolutions, enable/disable scanlines, etc. I used to have the official component cable but sold it when I was hard up for cash. Think I got $150-175 for it at the time (which was about the going rate). Now I wish I kept it because it's worth double that! I still have a backwards compatible Wii with official component cables if I absolutely have to play the games with analog video. I mainly bought the Eon adapter to play GBA games on the Game Boy Player in 480p, as there is no other (official) way of doing so.
The Retron 5 doesnt do the GBA justice? (Unofficial). It would be a lot cheaper.

That's a pricey setup. ~$50 for first gen GC, $150 for the Eon adapter, and $75-$100 for a GBA player with disc.

That's a pricey setup. ~$50 for first gen GC, $150 for the Eon adapter, and $75-$100 for a GBA player with disc.
Is that how much GBA players are going for now? I'm so happy that I was allowed to use a B1G1 free coupon at a local game store a few years ago, then, because I got an excellent deal. Wavebird and GBA player (with disc!) for only $25! :D

Yeah, the GC component cables were only ever sold directly through Nintendo's own website store. And this was back in the day when ordering things on-line was a lot less common. Nintendo never really advertised these things, and while there are quite a large number of GC games that support 480p, not many people knew about these cables at the time. And they even removed the port for the component cables in a later GC hardware revision, in order to cut back on manufacturing costs. So later-model GCs can't even use the bloody things. You have to have an earlier-model GC just to use the component cables.

Thanks to all of these factors, Nintendo never produced these cables in bulk, and they are now extremely rare. The actual need for them has lowered considerably, but their extreme scarcity and unique functionality make them highly desirable for collectors. Retro-themed FPGA systems like the Super NT and upcoming Mega SG allow for high-quality up-scaling of legacy games. But FPGA's have finite limits on the kind of systems they can simulate, and the more complicated the circuitry that you're trying to imitate, the harder and more complex the programming for them becomes. So an FPGA-fueled N64 or GameCube are extremely unlikely. Solutions for getting these middle-systems to output high-quality digital signals are pricey and convoluted.
Wow - didn't know they were only available directly from Nintendo. I got a Gamecube for the first time when it was one generation old and with my first HDTV (720p). It had component inputs and while I was in GameStop I saw used official Gamecube component cables for about $10. One of my luckier purchases and finds, it seems.

Source:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/996423329262292992

(Note: He posted this May 15th, with health issues and work it didn't feel that long ago....but it's been out there for five months)

If overlooked in May, then people need to start watching his twitter feed closer. That's not me being critical, just saying there might be other things people have missed.
I appreciate you posting the source, major props for that.

Looking at the tweet, what you've shown is how obscure this information actually was.

The picture is of the three NES games in front of shelves with other games and collectibles with no descriptive textual content. These guys are collectors and have shown how into collecting they are, so what it says to me is possibly they added some games to the massive collection in the office (partially shown in the picture, but featured in the office tour posted on youtube).

The tweet remained active for less than 24hours where only 17 people even commented. Speculation five months ago for less than a day with no specific confirmation it was the PS4 version or that it would be coming out in October is not enough to predict that this game was going to pop up last week. It was odd that DoubeDam21 posted about it Tuesday (not sure where his info came from, but it was better than social media and a thumbs up to him for sharing), considering LRG themselves didn't tweet about it until Thursday (the day before launch).

In my book if there's no advertising for the launch until the day (or even week) before something comes out then it's a stealth release. Maybe that's not an agreeable definition of the term, but a total lack of information seems pretty stealth to me.

I appreciate you posting the source, major props for that.

Looking at the tweet, what you've shown is how obscure this information actually was.

The picture is of the three NES games in front of shelves with other games and collectibles with no descriptive textual content. These guys are collectors and have shown how into collecting they are, so what it says to me is possibly they added some games to the massive collection in the office (partially shown in the picture, but featured in the office tour posted on youtube).

The tweet remained active for less than 24hours where only 17 people even commented. Speculation five months ago for less than a day with no specific confirmation it was the PS4 version or that it would be coming out in October is not enough to predict that this game was going to pop up last week. It was odd that DoubeDam21 posted about it Tuesday (not sure where his info came from, but it was better than social media and a thumbs up to him for sharing), considering LRG themselves didn't tweet about it until Thursday (the day before launch).

In my book if there's no advertising for the launch until the day (or even week) before something comes out then it's a stealth release. Maybe that's not an agreeable definition of the term, but a total lack of information seems pretty stealth to me.
Saving so much money now that I could less about LRG and a complete collection.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The CARBY from Insurrection Industries is probably the best and cheapest ($75 shipped with HDMI cable and remote) solution currently for HDMI on the GC. It's also the only solution using a reproduction metal connector. I got mine a few weeks ago and it is awesome and the connector looks exactly like the original Nintendo connector.
Thanks for this, BTW. My friend tried out the HDMy adapter which also had the remote and cable included, but I've now purchased a CARBY to try out, so thanks!

I couldnt maintain a complete Vita collection when we got a rush of lackluster games and mobile ports that didnt have a platinum either

EVERY platform gets its fair share of stinkers. Every platform gets some measure of shovelware. The Vita is no different. It avoided some amount of western-developed shovelware thanks to a sharp drop off in western support. But it has definitely gotten a number of lackluster titles from the indie runnoff, the dregs of the Japanese industry, and the odd mobile game.

Personally, I don't understand the desire for a complete platform run. That's a level of obsessive/compulsive that I'm not willing to dapple in. Going for a complete run means that you will have to stockpile a large number of bad games. I'd much rather focus on getting the best games for each system. I've held off on several LRG titles because I felt they were not up to snuff.

Of course, I also think I'm one of the less harsh critics here. Some of the people who roll up in this forum seem to think that anything that isn't a widely-known title is garbage. I go to the trouble of doing a little research when I'm deciding whether or not a game is worthwhile. A game is not bad just because it was originally a mobile game. A game is not bad if it hasn't gotten much publicity, and isn't as well known. And a game isn't bad just because it is clearly of Japanese origin. You have to dig up some information, read some reviews, and then make an informed decision, not a knee-jerk reaction.

I think it might be this based on how well Night Trap sold.

https://twitter.com/screamingvill/status/1052953197017468928

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1052290672106098689

This is one I have been waiting a while for the vita release. Probably the only game I buy this week.

bread's done
Back