Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
The Retron 5 doesnt do the GBA justice? (Unofficial). It would be a lot cheaper.
I don't buy Hyperkin products, they are garbage IMO. I bought a Retron 5 at launch, used it a few times and it randomly stopped working. Wouldn't read cartridges. I probably used it <20 hours total. I also stupidly bought one of those Retron 1 HD NES clones and the power supply broke off and into the console the first time I plugged it in straight out of the box. I swore off Hyperkin after that. I would strongly suggest the Retro Freak over the Retron 5, but it has been out of manufacture for a while and has gone up in price. Does everything the Retron 5 does and more, plus has much better build quality. You can dump and save ROMs from cartridges into the console memory or a micro SD card so you can play games without the cart, or back up your ROMs from the micro SD to your PC. Also plays PC Engine, Turbografx 16 and PC Engine SuperGrafix games.

That's a pricey setup. ~$50 for first gen GC, $150 for the Eon adapter, and $75-$100 for a GBA player with disc.
I feel for you, but retro gaming ain't a cheap hobby unfortunately and you have to pay for quality. If you want to go all official, I suggest buying a Japanese GC with a Game Boy player and Japanese start-up disc. The JPN startup discs are a lot cheaper than the NTSC due to a lack of demand. Game Boy players are cheap and region free. Another option is to get an action replay to boot the Japanese disc if you have a NTSC cube. Good luck!

I'm now scared to get Mages of Mystralia because I feel we'll see an inevitable Switch release.

LRG and I sure are not on the same page with these CEs.  When I first saw there was a Dragon's Lair CE, I think I even let out a little gasp.  I am SO pre-disposed to a Dragon's Lair CE.  Look at that box!  There must be something good in there!  An artbook covering all three games?  I'll pay anything!

But... what is this.... a.... laserdisc box?  Ummm.... ok.  I don't really get it.  I mean, I know it was a laserdisc game, but it isn't like a "laserdisc style box" was actually a thing.  There were some special editions that came in boxes, but it's not like there was some uniform design/thickness.... 

So, what else?  A sound chip on the box.  This is now a thing, I guess - I just saw that as a feature in the Soul Calibur CE.   

Another folded poster.

Three small lithographs.

A.... pin?  (seriously, who wants this stuff?)

And.... an arcade cabinet papercraft?  I must be so out of touch.   I wonder how they come up with this stuff.   Does the license holder have it lying around?  

Once again, the box is the most appealing thing and probably where most of that cost is going.

I'm now scared to get Mages of Mystralia because I feel we'll see an inevitable Switch release.

LRG and I sure are not on the same page with these CEs. When I first saw there was a Dragon's Lair CE, I think I even let out a little gasp. I am SO pre-disposed to a Dragon's Lair CE. Look at that box! There must be something good in there! An artbook covering all three games? I'll pay anything!

But... what is this.... a.... laserdisc box? Ummm.... ok. I don't really get it. I mean, I know it was a laserdisc game, but it isn't like a "laserdisc style box" was actually a thing. There were some special editions that came in boxes, but it's not like there was some uniform design/thickness....

So, what else? A sound chip on the box. This is now a thing, I guess - I just saw that as a feature in the Soul Calibur CE.

Another folded poster.

Three small lithographs.

A.... pin? (seriously, who wants this stuff?)

And.... an arcade cabinet papercraft? I must be so out of touch. I wonder how they come up with this stuff. Does the license holder have it lying around?

Once again, the box is the most appealing thing and probably where most of that cost is going.
Yeah that is one sorry looking CE for $74.99.

Just like Bit.Trip, Dragon's Lair Trilogy is another game that saw a definitive Wii release already (plus a weird PS3/blu-ray release). Not down with these ports of games I already own on 2 or more platforms. Easy pass.

I would strongly suggest the Retro Freak over the Retron 5, but it has been out of manufacture for a while and has gone up in price.
The Retron 5 isn't terrible, but it also isn't everything Hyperkin promised. Like many systems based on emulation, there is noticeable lag for twitch and action-heavy titles, and the sound emulation is never quite as good as you want it to be. The big advantage of the Retron 5 (when it isn't breaking on you) is the sheer breadth of cartridges it supports. It is pretty good for testing out games to make sure they function.

Although, if quality is a concern for you, you ought to ditch the Retron 5 as well as the Retro Freak, and start trying to get the Analogue systems. You can't even get an NT Mini at this point, but they were excessively expensive anyway. The Super NT is the bomb, I strongly recommend it, even though it is limited to SNES and Super Famicom titles. They have a Genesis version coming out early next year, the Mega SG. Neither is an all-in-one box, although the Mega SG is going to support Master System titles out of the box, as well as several other Sega systems with optional adapters. The FPGA-fueled performance on these things is legit. Zero lag, and fantastic audio.

The Retron 5 isn't terrible, but it also isn't everything Hyperkin promised. Like many systems based on emulation, there is noticeable lag for twitch and action-heavy titles, and the sound emulation is never quite as good as you want it to be. The big advantage of the Retron 5 (when it isn't breaking on you) is the sheer breadth of cartridges it supports. It is pretty good for testing out games to make sure they function.

Although, if quality is a concern for you, you ought to ditch the Retron 5 as well as the Retro Freak, and start trying to get the Analogue systems. You can't even get an NT Mini at this point, but they were excessively expensive anyway. The Super NT is the bomb, I strongly recommend it, even though it is limited to SNES and Super Famicom titles. They have a Genesis version coming out early next year, the Mega SG. Neither is an all-in-one box, although the Mega SG is going to support Master System titles out of the box, as well as several other Sega systems with optional adapters. The FPGA-fueled performance on these things is legit. Zero lag, and fantastic audio.
Yeah, good points there. I do have a Super NT, as well as a Super Famicom with a cart adapter for NTSC games that I play with RGB SCART through my FrameMeister. I'm kind of sick in the head, I know. :rofl:

Any reason to suspect that Defender's Quest flies off the shelves immediately?
I fully expect the PS4 version to last at least the weekend. The Vita version will go faster but probably not an instant sell out.

Man, that Dragon's Lair Trilogy CE is one lackluster CE. I can't believe they are charging $45 extra for it. Such a missed opportunity. All they had to do was have the game with steelbook and a decent art book, cut the price a little, and they would have sold a ton. I'm thinking this CE is going to last a long time (like Narcosis did).

I don’t understand why LRG won’t add art books to their CEs. Steelbook + art book + soundtrack would probably satisfy a large number of customer. Skip the folder posters and other random stuff

Add me to the list of being excited seeing a Dragon's Lair CE, but then disappointed when seeing the actual contents. Artbook plus OST would have been a definite purchase, but since I've got this on Wii, blu-ray and iOS I don't see a big need for the PS4 version.

Add me to the list of being excited seeing a Dragon's Lair CE, but then disappointed when seeing the actual contents. Artbook plus OST would have been a definite purchase, but since I've got this on Wii, blu-ray and iOS I don't see a big need for the PS4 version.
You described my situation perfectly, as I saw a CE and couldn't click on the contents fast enough, only to be hugely let down. Yeah, I have all 3 games digital on my PS3, as well as all 3 blu-rays as well. So to buy this would be pretty much just for the combined menu system and all 3 games on one disc. I'll think about it, but I'll probably just skip it, as I would have loved to get the CE, but it is sorely lacking.

I don’t understand why LRG won’t add art books to their CEs. Steelbook + art book + soundtrack would probably satisfy a large number of customer. Skip the folder posters and other random stuff
Yeah, this may have been a developers choice, more so than LRG, but either way, one side or the other should have pushed for better items. I have that poster full size, as well as Space Ace with both signed by all 4 original creators. I'm a HUGE Dragon's Lair/Space Ace fan and these games are really red headed step child's of gaming, and this CE really speaks to that. As it's one of the worst I've seen, and with an animated centric offering, more should have been offered in the way of the art(animation cel, art book, etc). Oh well, funds saved as something worth a damn would have required that I bought it, but as is, there's no debate to be had. LOL

Why would they have to make good, thoughtful, more expensive CEs when the crappy ones sell out just fine? They don't have to try, or pay for more expensive crafts.

I love the box for Dragon's Lair but I also feel like that's all you're really getting. When I buy a CE I would like to get the accessories that you've mentioned in this type of priority order: 1. Steelbook 2.CD soundtrack 3.hardcover art book, and in a distant 4th: a well-done figure or another high-quality coffee table/bookshelf type of display piece like a diorama or a decoration.

That's really short notice on Dragon's Lair. As of now, it never even got added to their Upcoming Releases page: https://limitedrungames.com/pages/upcoming-releases

Also a CE apparently: https://www.limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-183-dragons-lair-trilogy-classic-edition-ps4

3,000 standard / 2,300 CE.

As much as I enjoy DL, I'm going to pass on it for now because of the short notice. If it's still in stock next week alongside Dragon Sinker I might buy it then.
I was surprised to see Dragon's Lair in their email just now. I'm a big fan as well, but I'm passing for now as well. Do you really think it will be in stock after today? I agree if it's still in stock next week and I can save on shipping I'll cave.

I was surprised to see Dragon's Lair in their email just now. I'm a big fan as well, but I'm passing for now as well. Do you really think it will be in stock after today? I agree if it's still in stock next week and I can save on shipping I'll cave.
The LE will almost certainly remain in-stock. The standard is a little more iffy, but based on Layers of Fear's sell-through rate I think there's a pretty good chance it'll hang in there a full week.

I'm tempted to get Defender's Quest for Vita. Anyone on here play it yet? I saw it's tower defense, and some of those games make late levels impossible without buying microtransactions to level up. Since this is a full price game, I'm hoping that's not the case here. It'd be nice to play one with a reasonable difficulty progression.

I played Defender's Quest on PC, and I think it's a pretty good tower defense game. Tower defense games in general have become extremely stale, but I played quite a bit and found it fun. The Heroes (defenders in this case) add a decent amount to the game, though the story, if I remember, is extremely weak. I'd recommend it on $5 or less, as it's been bundled a few times on PC and been extremely cheap.

To sum it all up it's one of the better TD games I've played that I put about 20-30 hours on the GOG version a while back. I'm ranking it about the same area as a bit below Defense Grid, which is pretty decent praise.

Some people were mentioning liking soundtracks and stuff... though not a CE, there are some bundles up for Defender's Quest with a soundtrack.

Layers of Fear is at 901 copies while claiming 31% remain. So between an hour after the first batch on Friday and this morning it's sold 102 copies. Amazing to see it only get 192 copies sold with the friday drop. I guess people just didn't show up.
Layers of Fear is at 861 copies while claiming 29% remain. So between Monday morning and this morning it's sold 40 copies. With last weeks drop it sold 102 copies over the weekend... it'll be interesting to see how it goes this weekend.

Hadn't done this in a while, figured it was worth noting before today's sale starts to make comparisons easier later.

I think the big release they were referring to is this:

attachicon.gif
IMG_7879.JPG
Dragon's Lair is their biggest PS4 game ever? Ok... I don't get that. It's only just over 5K copies combined SE&CE.

I would have thought maybe it would have been something more exclusive to the PS4.

Some people were mentioning liking soundtracks and stuff... though not a CE, there are some bundles up for Defender's Quest with a soundtrack.

Layers of Fear is at 861 copies while claiming 29% remain. So between Monday morning and this morning it's sold 40 copies. With last weeks drop it sold 102 copies over the weekend... it'll be interesting to see how it goes this weekend.

Hadn't done this in a while, figured it was worth noting before today's sale starts to make comparisons easier later.

Dragon's Lair is their biggest PS4 game ever? Ok... I don't get that. It's only just over 5K copies combined SE&CE.

I would have thought maybe it would have been something more exclusive to the PS4.
Yeah... It was a guess. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong, lol.

Yeah, looks like just Defender's Quest for me today(Vita), as I hate to just get one  game any given week, but I just can't justify grabbing the DL Trilogy. If I actually had a PS4, I probably would grab it, but the way most LRG games have been losing value, I'll just try to grab it later if I ever decide I need it(possible for less).

I thought I heard their biggest PS4 game was delayed until November.  Pretty sure that is still the case.  Dragon's Lair Trilogy was just a late addition.

$25 shipping. Certainly more than the $12.50 for the larger box that I'm used to.
Wow.

I wonder what was going on with the standard release. I was refreshing the page and would watch it go down to 3%, then to nothing, then jump back up, then jump up again, then go back down, then go to nothing, then jump up to 5%.... It made me think someone was allocating more in real time or something. At one point, a "Pre-Order" button even showed up.

Still, a pretty quick morning "sell-out" for Dragon's Lair.

Yeah, I just checked, that $25 shipping is for the domestic CE.  What a huge rip off (especially the overall package of price, shipping, and taxes).

Glad I stopped getting all the CEs from them.

Yeah, looks like just Defender's Quest for me today(Vita), as I hate to just get one game any given week, but I just can't justify grabbing the DL Trilogy. If I actually had a PS4, I probably would grab it, but the way most LRG games have been losing value, I'll just try to grab it later if I ever decide I need it(possible for less).
One game ? Enjoy your Loose Rattling Game in the bubble mailer

:beer:

Looks like they corrected the shipping cost of the CE to $5.50.  I have to wonder if they will be crediting the orders of those that purchased at $25.

Had to go back and see whether I backed Mages of Mystralia on Kickstarter. Quickly realized why I didn't...
attachicon.gif
IMG_7889.PNG
In fairness, you could have pledged to any tier (including the $1 tier) and added the PS4 physical game for $34 plus shipping. Yes, it ended up being more than the cost today, but part of that money went to actually completing development on the game and my understanding is that backers will now get a slightly different cover variant.

Edit - Just received an e-mail from the Kickstarter that they are giving backers $5 refunds because they thought the price was going to be higher when the games were put on general sale. So, it looks like this was handled very fairly all around.

In fairness, you could have pledged to any tier (including the $1 tier) and added the PS4 physical game for $34 plus shipping. Yes, it ended up being more than the cost today, but part of that money went to actually completing development on the game and my understanding is that backers will now get a slightly different cover variant.

Edit - Just received an e-mail from the Kickstarter that they are giving backers $5 refunds because they thought the price was going to be higher when the games were put on general sale. So, it looks like this was handled very fairly all around.
Yeah, your right. I guess I skimmed past that option. Kickstarters always confuse me a bit...

Another missed opportunity in regards to the DL Trilogy would have been a trading card set for each game like they did for Night Trap. But I have yet to see any real move forward in regards to the TC actually becoming a thing outside of the 1 given out with each game, so maybe something like this is better left undone, but it would have been cool(at least for a fan like myself).

Layers of fear sold 30 more copies... not going to do an updated post though until Monday so the full sale weekend is counted. As it's going now though, it seems like this may be one game that doesn't sell out.

Yeah... It was a guess. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong, lol.
While it does appear you were wrong (which no harm questioning it, I'm curious what the game is)... I feel like whatever it is will have a similar level of disappointment. Maybe it's one of the bigger older game ports/updates?

For what it's worth, They actually messaged all the LRG backers for Mages and asked people if they wanted a 5$ refund. So, it actually equals out to LRG MSRP.

I was on a flight this morning trying to order Dragon’s Lair. As soon as I had the game in my cart, the plane shut off it’s WiFi for landing ☹️

I jumped onto cellular as soon as the plane landed and it was sold out. Will have to try again this afternoon.

I was on a flight this morning trying to order Dragon’s Lair. As soon as I had the game in my cart, the plane shut off it’s WiFi for landing ☹️
That is some truly awful timing. I missed out this morning, but it was just a matter of me forgetting to set my clock early enough. Entirely my fault. Hopefully we can both snag copies this afternoon.

There we go, got my order in for Dragon's Lair in this afternoon run. Went for a vita copy of Defender's Quest, and a copy of PS4 Mages of Mystralia. Skipped on the PS4 copy of Defender's Quest. Nothing personal, I'm just not made of money, and have to cut expenses somewhere.

There we go, got my order in for Dragon's Lair in this afternoon run. Went for a vita copy of Defender's Quest, and a copy of PS4 Mages of Mystralia. Skipped on the PS4 copy of Defender's Quest. Nothing personal, I'm just not made of money, and have to cut expenses somewhere.
Same, in for Dragon's Lair Trilogy and Mages of Mystralia. Missed out in the morning and almost missed out on DLT again due to some issue w/ PP. Luckily, after a few tries, it went through. So I'm a happy camper. :)

Just went in for a single copy of Dragon's Lair.  I could have ordered in the morning batch, but I wanted to see if my brother wanted a copy first....he did not, which is weird since he always used to play the first one in the arcade way way back, meh.  I'm honestly just getting it for nostalgia purposes since I still haven't own a home copy of it on any format til now.

Only grabbed a single copy of DLT as well as vita Defenders Quest to offset shipping costs. Might grab Mages if it's still in stock around the next sale

Dammit, missed out on DLT.  First one I've missed that I wanted since PS4 Super Hydorah.  

First wi-fi at work sucked as usual (though I can usually work through it) and then forgot the 2nd batch until 6:20 and by then it was sold out.

I am seriously SO BUMMED.  :(

Dammit, missed out on DLT. First one I've missed that I wanted since PS4 Super Hydorah.

First wi-fi at work sucked as usual (though I can usually work through it) and then forgot the 2nd batch until 6:20 and by then it was sold out.

I am seriously SO BUMMED. :(
Don't worry, you can contact them and get on the waiting list, and if all else fails, almost all games get offered at their year end sales, although this one might not make next years cut, it should the following year. I expect most copies of this to probably not exceed $30-$35 once they hit the secondary market, as I may buy it at a later date as well. I just couldn't justify it currently, but I would like a copy at some point. But if the NS ever gets a version, which it probably will, I'll just get that version.

Kinda annoyed all the games I have in queue for shipping aren't moving yet. Phantom breaker, golf story and csh all should be coming along soon...

on twitter LRG said about Dragon's Lair

There might be some more available tomorrow (Saturday) around 12PM Eastern Time once we've combed through orders to cancel orders that broke limits. Stay tuned!

I'm a sucker for Dragon's Lair, so I caved and ordered a copy of the regular edition. I still wish the LE had been better.

bread's done
Back