Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
$15? For single random (empty) steelbook leftovers? Seriously?

Get fuck ed.
Man, you aren't kidding. Nice $10 markup on essentially overstocked items. Pretty much soured me on buying the blind boxes now.

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/1040323673075396609

Edit: since the link isn't working for whatever reason:

[attachment=31581:lrgsteelbooks.JPG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else get an email from the waitlist informing you that none of the items you were waitlisted for are available, only to get and LRG email later the same day indicating some of those items will be available for sale?

Man, you aren't kidding. Nice $10 markup on essentially overstocked items. Pretty much soured me on buying the blind boxes now.

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/1040323673075396609

Edit: since the link isn't working for whatever reason:

attachicon.gif
lrgsteelbooks.JPG
What, in your opinion, is a fair price for a steelbook that also won't anger people that paid for the entire CE in order to get it? I don't think $15 is crazy for something like this. I mean Best Buy charges $10 for steelbooks printed in much higher quantities than these.

Did anyone else get an email from the waitlist informing you that none of the items you were waitlisted for are available, only to get and LRG email later the same day indicating some of those items will be available for sale?
Speaking as one of the people who usually to go bat for LRG when I feel they're getting unnecessarily attacked, that's some bullshit. Hopefully you can get in touch with them to fix that for you. Otherwise, what's the point of a waitlist?

Speaking as one of the people who usually to go bat for LRG when I feel they're getting unnecessarily attacked, that's some bullshit. Hopefully you can get in touch with them to fix that for you. Otherwise, what's the point of a waitlist?
I put myself on their waitlist for the LRG variant of Shadow Warrior 2 right after their initial sale only to find out that they've put up more copies for sale in their January blowout sale. I even opened a ticket about this and all I got was that I was SOL. The fact of the matter is, there is no point in a waitlist if they are going to sell their "excess" stock down the road. They should just fulfill the waitlist in the order it was received, otherwise its just a slap to the face when we see games for sale when you've put your name to a waitlist.

What, in your opinion, is a fair price for a steelbook that also won't anger people that paid for the entire CE in order to get it? I don't think $15 is crazy for something like this. I mean Best Buy charges $10 for steelbooks printed in much higher quantities than these.
Sometimes BB also just gives you the steelbook for free with the purchase of the acompanying game.

Sadly, I believe the wait-list is more of a pacifier for the moment, than any real meaningful service. At least that's how it now appears based on the information I've been reading here. So a HUGE title sells out in seconds, so they offer up the list to give a handful of buyers a copy, then you see good things, and they receive positive press.

On the other side of the coin, I know from my own experience, dealing with any type of list in HUGE numbers is a nightmare logistically. As it's much easier to have an open sale, than trying to reach hundreds or even thousands of individual people over how many copies may be available. Now of course, that's not the end users problem, and if LRG offers a wait list, those users should come first. In the past, they have freed up copies within a few days, and then offered those in an open manner, so I'm not surprised the list isn't that important. As it's more work, for less return.

At least they should send an email to all on the list and have a closed sale first, so they get first crack. Then if any copies or left, offer those during year end sales or whatever else. But this would require doing what's right, as I don't mind them selling leftovers in whatever way they see fit, but don't tell people it's first come first served on the wait list, only to sell said items in a different manner. Unless you know for fact everyone on the list knows, and has a fair chance to get a copy.

dont forget LRG charges shipping too. im not sure how much BB charges for shipping. its always free for me and i can choose for pickup.

Does anyone know how many blind boxes you can fit into one order and still fall within the $5.50 shipping charge?
My guess is 4 based on the windjammers preorder. Once you hit > 1lb (5 switch carts), the shipping price goes up to $7.59, which is still cheaper than separate orders. Vita carts my weigh less, though, with their smaller cases, so it could be five.

My guess is 4 based on the windjammers preorder. Once you hit > 1lb (5 switch carts), the shipping price goes up to $7.59, which is still cheaper than separate orders. Vita carts my weigh less, though, with their smaller cases, so it could be five.
Sounds about right. Thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind, LRG is selling random PS4 steelbooks for $15 each so you can't even choose which one or ones you want. If they let you choose, perhaps $15 is a fair price. Since they don't I feel no more than $10 each is fair. $10 still allows them to make profit of $4 to $5 per sale plus get rid of excess stock. Fair to the customer and fair to LRG.

Keep in mind, LRG is selling random PS4 steelbooks for $15 each so you can't even choose which one or ones you want. If they let you choose, perhaps $15 is a fair price. Since they don't I feel no more than $10 each is fair. $10 still allows them to make profit of $4 to $5 per sale plus get rid of excess stock. Fair to the customer and fair to LRG.
I disagree. They are giving you an opportunity to buy something that previously required a fairly expensive purchase to obtain. People asked for the opportunity to buy the steelbooks separately and this seems a fair compromise that won't upset people that bought the full CEs. If you don't like the pricing or the risk of not getting a particular steelbook, nobody is forcing you to spend the money or take the risk.

Sadly, I believe the wait-list is more of a pacifier for the moment, than any real meaningful service. At least that's how it now appears based on the information I've been reading here. So a HUGE title sells out in seconds, so they offer up the list to give a handful of buyers a copy, then you see good things, and they receive positive press.

On the other side of the coin, I know from my own experience, dealing with any type of list in HUGE numbers is a nightmare logistically. As it's much easier to have an open sale, than trying to reach hundreds or even thousands of individual people over how many copies may be available. Now of course, that's not the end users problem, and if LRG offers a wait list, those users should come first. In the past, they have freed up copies within a few days, and then offered those in an open manner, so I'm not surprised the list isn't that important. As it's more work, for less return.

At least they should send an email to all on the list and have a closed sale first, so they get first crack. Then if any copies or left, offer those during year end sales or whatever else. But this would require doing what's right, as I don't mind them selling leftovers in whatever way they see fit, but don't tell people it's first come first served on the wait list, only to sell said items in a different manner. Unless you know for fact everyone on the list knows, and has a fair chance to get a copy.
This is not accurate based on my experience. I'm part of a few Facebook groups for limited print game collectors and I know a bunch of people that have actually been given a second chance through the wait list for various sold out games. I agree that to some extent it is a means of generating positive press and reducing the death threats, but I can say that people have actually benefitted from it.

I disagree. They are giving you an opportunity to buy something that previously required a fairly expensive purchase to obtain. People asked for the opportunity to buy the steelbooks separately and this seems a fair compromise that won't upset people that bought the full CEs. If you don't like the pricing or the risk of not getting a particular steelbook, nobody is forcing you to spend the money or take the risk.
I have purchased all of the Switch CEs that previously contained steelbooks and I have no problem with LRG if they offered the steelbooks for $10 each in blind boxes. Heck, I wouldn't have an issue with LRG offering them for $5 each in blind boxes. But I guess that is just me.

And you are correct, it is my choice and I will not be spending the money on the steelbook blind boxes as they stand now because they are a rip off for an item that is essentially overstock, and LRG is charging a 200% mark up on.

I have purchased all of the Switch CEs that previously contained steelbooks and I have no problem with LRG if they offered the steelbooks for $10 each in blind boxes. Heck, I wouldn't have an issue with LRG offering them for $5 each in blind boxes. But I guess that is just me.

And you are correct, it is my choice and I will not be spending the money on the steelbook blind boxes as they stand now because they are a rip off for an item that is essentially overstock, and LRG is charging a 200% mark up on.
Meh...They don't discount any of the blind box items. This isn't a clearance sale, it's a second chance sale and I don't agree that they should sell things at a discount or even close to cost especially when there is plenty of demand for these items.

Meh...They don't discount any of the blind box items. This isn't a clearance sale, it's a second chance sale and I don't agree that they should sell things at a discount or even close to cost especially when there is plenty of demand for these items.
I think this is the best explanation of the blowout sale, a second chance sale for people that missed a release or had second thoughts. As you stated, this isn’t a clearance sale. These items aren’t readily available at retail. I think this is a win-win for everyone.

For me, the switch CE didn’t really appeal to me, but I would’ve liked to have some of the steelboooks. Now I get a chance to pick some up.

I also passed on a few of the releases last year, so I can now pick them up.

They actually do discount some of the blind box items. The soundtrack blind boxes are selling for $9.99 each when a soundtrack usually adds a $15 value when sold with the game. Also, there are plenty of Vita and PS4 games that are sold at a loss for $24.99 in the blind boxes (usually by $5 but some retailed for as much as $49.99 or $59.99 back when they originally went on sale).

It comes down to that they are LRG's excess items and they can do what they want with them. I will be speaking with my wallet regarding some of them (the steelbooks). I will be purchasing others that are more reasonable (the soundtracks).

They actually do discount some of the blind box items. The soundtrack blind boxes are selling for $9.99 each when a soundtrack usually adds a $15 value when sold with the game. Also, there are plenty of Vita and PS4 games that are sold at a loss for $24.99 in the blind boxes (usually by $5 but some retailed for as much as $49.99 or $59.99 back when they originally went on sale).
During the BF sale, I got Dariusburst CS in one of the blind boxes which they sold (and are selling tomorrow) for $49.99.

Is there a list of all LRG steelbooks somewhere, or do I need to pore over all of the CE descriptions?
They never posted a list of the steelbooks available that I have seen. I went through the Switch collector editions and this is the list of steelbooks that I found (that are currently sold out):

SWITCH
------
Flinthook+Mercenary Kings Combo Steelbook
Furi*
Pixeljunk Monsters 2*
Saturday Morning RPG
Slime-San
Kingdom New Lands
Night Trap
Thumper
Battle Chef Brigade*

*Collectors editions not currently shipped, so Steelbook unlikely to be part of the blind box?

I may grab one or two as I don't have any of these steelbooks. No idea if they are all available in the blind boxes or not though. Wish they would provide an official list. If I missed one that is available, let me know and I will add to the list.

PS4 Games (that I could find):
---------
Pixeljunk Monsters 2
Kingdom New Lands
Thumper
Saturday Morning RPG (listed in their email)
Battle Chef Brigade*

They never posted a list of the steelbooks available that I have seen. I went through the Switch collector editions and this is the list of steelbooks that I found (that are currently sold out):

SWITCH
------
Flinthook+Mercenary Kings Combo Steelbook
Furi
Pixeljunk Monsters 2*
Saturday Morning RPG
Slime-San
Kingdom New Lands
Night Trap
Thumper
Battle Chef Brigade*

*Collectors editions not currently shipped, so Steelbook unlikely to be part of the blind box?

I may grab one or two as I don't have any of these steelbooks. No idea if they are all available in the blind boxes or not though. Wish they would provide an official list. If I missed one that is available, let me know and I will add to the list.

PS4 Games (that I could find):
---------
Pixeljunk Monsters 2
Kingdom New Lands
Thumper
Saturday Morning RPG (listed in their email)
Battle Chef Brigade ps4 collectors edition comes with a steelbook

My guess that the only PS4 steelbooks in the blind boxes will be Kingdom New Lands, Thumper and SMRPG.  The others are still in production and haven't been released yet.  You will probably have the best chance at getting KIngdom New Lands as I remember that CE selling really poorly, meaning that they probably have a large excess of steelbooks.

Kinda pointless to waste cash on empty steelbooks. passing on those.

Got stuck in the checkout queue longer than I ever have before, but I manaed to get a Celeste CE for the PS4. The Switch version is already sold out

Got my Celeste CE for Switch. For backstock, I... revisited my decisions to skip the Super Hydorah CE for Vita (which I originally skipped because I got the PS4 CE) and Nurse Love Addiction CE, plus Salt & Sanctuary for PS4 (which I originally only got for Vita).

Skipped the blind boxes and blind steel boxes.

I was going to order Celeste CE then realized I really don’t need it. Probably wait until the standard goes on sale at BB and use my GCU.

they should just stick to 1 per customer on the first batch. if it doesnt sell out, put it as 2 per customers in the 2nd batch. psh... unreal

If you miss out on the Celeste CE in the 2nd batch today, Fangamer will have a small amount for sale in the future on their site.

I'm happy, I got my copy of Celeste and I sprung for one of those blind boxes, both for Switch.  This is my first LRP purchase.  Could've gone for the CE, but honestly it didn't look that good to me.  Figure save it for someone who really wants it.  ... And could get it in that 45 seconds it was available. 

Kinda pointless to waste cash on empty steelbooks. passing on those.
I like steelbooks. No, in fact, I LOVE steelbooks. Been collecting them for several years. But over these years they've gone from being a sweet (free) bonus for day1 purchasers and supporters to being a tool used by publishers to price gouge collectors. They exist simply to make more money now. Such as release day steelbook movies costing $34.99 for the most part. I've looked at the Battlefield V and Fallout 76 steels for $9.99 at Best Buy several times now and debated buying them; that's right around my breaking point for buying interesting, empty collectors steels. 10 bucks. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet at those prices yet either.

I understand that LRG needs to make money, and that they gotta do what they gotta do. But like I said awhile ago on here, LRG is just like every other big publisher in my mind now. They are treated and thought of accordingly. The small-time webshop status changed a long time ago. There is no mom & pop feel, and LRG showed they weren't in-tune with collectors about 1.5 years ago. They are an expensive premium service now. Especially when prices started to go up, ESRB happened, taxes were added, and availability went way down because of exposure and their newly found large customer base.

If you had all the money in the world it would be much easier to defend them. But LRG hasn't been anything close to resembling collector-friendly since their first string of releases.

Celeste ce wasn't one per? Yikes, with how hot of a release that is that's pretty dumb
Bingo bango.

I like steelbooks. No, in fact, I LOVE steelbooks. Been collecting them for several years. But over these years they've gone from being a sweet (free) bonus for day1 purchasers and supporters to being a tool used by publishers to price gouge collectors. They only exist to make more money. Such as release day steelbook movies costing $34.99 for the most part. I've looked at the Battlefield V and Fallout 76 steels for $9.99 at Best Buy several times now and debated buying them; that's right around my breaking point for empty collectors steels, 10 bucks. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet at those prices yet either.

I understand that LRG needs to make money, and that they gotta do what they have to do. But like I said awhile ago on here, LRG is just like every other big publisher in my mind now. They are treated and thought of, accordingly. The small-time webshop status changed a long ago. There is no mom & pop feel, and LRG showed they weren't in-tune with collectors about 1.5 years ago. They are an expensive premium service now. Especially when prices started to go up, ESRB happened, taxes were added, and availability went way down because of exposure and their newly found large customer base.

If you had all the money in the world it would be much easier to defend them. But LRG hasn't been anything close to resembling collector-friendly since their first string of releases.

Bingo bango.

It's cool that LRG got Celeste for the Switch.  But it's also ~$39.99 to buy a copy. 

If they didn't get the rights to release this game, then someone else would have.  Perhaps even cheaper. 

Nurse Love Addiction has a beautiful LE. Likely my favorite along with Yakuza 6 in 2018, which was mainly for the glasses.

I am not touching the blind boxes with a 10 foot pole though. Only good ones seem to be the Switch ones, since there is so few games available so you have a better chance of one of them.

bread's done
Back