Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Better hope it doesn't work out for them, or we'll be seeing more of it. And once it's a thing, just wait for the first members-only release.

Better hope it doesn't work out for them, or we'll be seeing more of it. And once it's a thing, just wait for the first members-only release.
At least for the moment this appears to be intended only for their "most passionate" fans. It's kind of funny how they think they actually have any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course SRG bring this out when they're about to do collector's editions--almost like they're saying you better join our club or you might miss out. I also note that the 25% off says it's off merchandise. Does the 25% off even work on games? Since the membership costs what most of their games cost, if you buy all their releases it becomes a buy 13 get 12 plan!

Roughly $32 to get 48 hour early access to games, get games shipped to you before others, get 25% off one item, and be part of a "secret mailing list" to get get game announcements. So glad LRG never pulled this kind of crap. I'll be interested to see how this model works out for Super Rare Games.
Thanks for reading through this, and giving the relevant info on this membership, as I've never bought there, and didn't plan to, so I just delivered the message. LOL

Even though I blasted LRG when they floated around this similar idea, at least they had a reason to consider something like this, as they had some hard to get releases pretty regularly back then. But have these guys had any real hard to get titles? This almost seems like a "we need some cash right now", so let's come up with a scheme that seems needed, but not really(Ca-Ching).

If LRG had ever offered their membership it may have done OK, but they at least had a market to consider it. And even now, it would be a hard sell for them, and they are clearly the market leaders. So I really don't see the need for SRG to offer something like this, especially if there has never been any real issues getting games. This is text book putting the cart before the horse situation, as this service seems pretty useless at the moment.

There is also a point about using premium packaging. Given that SRG ships internationally in those stupid cardboard mailers (not actual boxes), I find that one to be quite the load of BS, as they should be doing that already.

Anyone know if/when Dragon's Lair is supposed to ship?  Sent a tweet to LRG asking, but I haven't received a response as of yet.  If I do, I'll let you know.

That's a mind-boggling production and shipping backlog. I wonder if they ever expect to "catch-up", or will they perpetually be 6 months behind.

That's a mind-boggling production and shipping backlog. I wonder if they ever expect to "catch-up", or will they perpetually be 6 months behind.
I'm actually quite content now that I have finally gotten all of my backordered LRG games (about 4-5 packages) within the last four weeks. Haven't really ordered much of anything in the last three months.

Bastion (that type of release) is my pick for LRG GOTY in 2018. Probably Thimbleweed Park in 2nd place. I hope they do more titles like those ones and release the rest of Supergiant Games on PS4. I'd like to see them focus more on the truly notable and remarkable Indie games, which are usually the ones with good art or sound design. Those are the games that stand the test of time; they usually have great music or unique art direction.

I feel 2019 may be the point of oversaturation for the limited game market. As it stands the larger part of my game budget has been going to these type of releases as not to pay after market prices later on. It also helps that AAA games seem to be dropping in price so rapidly nowadays and are fairly easy passes with more and more micro transactions. Problem is the entire limited run niche is getting incredibly crowded with even Best Buy sourcing titles from LRG and Game Stop doing more more limited pressings like Toki Switch. The subscription Super Rare games is proposing is a new level of money grubbing and that’s coming from a person who has picked up most of their Switch offerings. I hope it works for them but the benefits seem cosmetic, you can already see fatigue is setting in with people purging they’re older limited run game collections and I feel a lot more people will be backing off in this coming year myself included.

I feel 2019 may be the point of oversaturation for the limited game market.
Oh it is. It has just begun crashing. LRG just happens to have the strongest brand name among them all and will survive the longest and healthiest.

These physical goods trends go in cycles and this one is on the beginning of the downswing. There are too many good indie and non-AAA games to play and buy, and many gaming platforms to choose from.

So Iconoclasts is $34.99 on Switch too? I guess bumping up Shantae and Celeste to $35 despite their $19.99 digital price wasn't enough.

Josh commented on it a few days ago, apparently that's behind the hold order system change:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1080123201848557577

However, we've also been told that things would slow down next quarter since 2017 and December felt like the first real reprieve we've had. They were able to catch up a bit in that time, but they'd need to cool the pace quite a bit or hire an additional shipping team to get back in front of the backlog at this point.

I feel 2019 may be the point of oversaturation for the limited game market. As it stands the larger part of my game budget has been going to these type of releases as not to pay after market prices later on. It also helps that AAA games seem to be dropping in price so rapidly nowadays and are fairly easy passes with more and more micro transactions. Problem is the entire limited run niche is getting incredibly crowded with even Best Buy sourcing titles from LRG and Game Stop doing more more limited pressings like Toki Switch. The subscription Super Rare games is proposing is a new level of money grubbing and that’s coming from a person who has picked up most of their Switch offerings. I hope it works for them but the benefits seem cosmetic, you can already see fatigue is setting in with people purging they’re older limited run game collections and I feel a lot more people will be backing off in this coming year myself included.
I'm not so sure about that. If you're an ESRB collector, there is really only one active publisher in LRG and a handful of sporatic publishers in Special Reserve, Iam8Bit, Dispatch and maybe soon Hard Copy Games. The formerly active retail publishers like Soedesco and others have slowed to a trickle. Gamestop used to be a lot more active in trying to secure niche exclusives, but this past year they just had Toki, Katamari, Deracine, Home Sweet Home and Bendy, several of which are just GS exclusive in the US and were also printed in other regions. I suppose if you collect all regions and all the limited run publishers then the volume could be extreme, but a lot of people seemed to have stopped doing that. Coupled with end of Vita cart supplies presumably by the end of 2019 in all regions and the shift in focus of THQ Nordic to re-releasing older titles on new platforms, I don't know that the market is going to be all that saturated.

So Iconoclasts is $34.99 on Switch too? I guess bumping up Shantae and Celeste to $35 despite their $19.99 digital price wasn't enough.
Digital price + $15 has been more or less their standard since the ESRB debacle. I think only a handful of Vita/PS4 games have been sold at less than that.

Hi! I'm new here, been stalking.

What are the odds they have Shantae come back? I regret not picking it up when it was available a few weeks ago. 

Hi! I'm new here, been stalking.

What are the odds they have Shantae come back? I regret not picking it up when it was available a few weeks ago.
Unless they have a year end overstock sale, it’s not coming back through LRG.

They print once and that’s it. Then publishing rights are handed back to the creators I think. Then they (creators) could give it to another publisher possibly. It happened with wonderboy last year.

Digital price + $15 has been more or less their standard since the ESRB debacle. I think only a handful of Vita/PS4 games have been sold at less than that.
Is Iconoclasts for PS4/Vita only $14.99 on PSN? They are selling those versions for $29.99 each.

Unless they have a year end overstock sale, it’s not coming back through LRG.

They print once and that’s it. Then publishing rights are handed back to the creators I think. Then they (creators) could give it to another publisher possibly. It happened with wonderboy last year.
Thanks. But Ahhh boo! From the sound of it it seemed like they sell some left over stock of mostly every title. That had my hopes up.

So keep an eye out for a similar sale like what they had for the year end thing a few days ago? I'm so impatient, the wait will be intense.

Thanks. But Ahhh boo! From the sound of it it seemed like they sell some left over stock of mostly every title. That had my hopes up.

So keep an eye out for a similar sale like what they had for the year end thing a few days ago? I'm so impatient, the wait will be intense.
Yeah, they have always sold left over stock, as I believe they hold back 10% of each release for damages, loss, etc. But the Shantae over stocks where sold off awhile ago if memory serves, so unless they find some stock hidden someplace(which has happened), they are pretty much gone.

Even though I blasted LRG when they floated around this similar idea, at least they had a reason to consider something like this, as they had some hard to get releases pretty regularly back then. But have these guys had any real hard to get titles? This almost seems like a "we need some cash right now", so let's come up with a scheme that seems needed, but not really(Ca-Ching).
What even makes less sense is that in their defense of this club they stated that if they would increase their production of a title if the early access membership sales warranted more copies being produced in order to satisfy demand from non-members. So.... what is the point of the early access? They were basically saying that they would make sure non-members would have a chance at ordering titles and they wouldn't sell out during the 48 hour early access window. I am not getting it.

On another note and sorry if this has already been brought up - has LRG given any indication that Sundered would be getting a physical Switch release? I am assuming that will happen, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be confident enough to not get the PS4 version today.

Passing on Windjammers. Already have the PS4 version, don't need the Switch version that is dropping from pre-order availability today. Ditto for the Vita version of Neurovoider. I'll let some more avid Vita collector have that one, I already have it on PS4. Sundered is another matter. I got in my order for that one. The PS4 is a good fit for that title, and the Eldritch edition has local 4-player co-op. (the PS4 is usually the local 4-player machine in my house) With an order going in, I went ahead and put in some pre-orders as well. Gotta have my Celeste, both platforms. (I played that game some more over the weekend, worth it) And I went ahead for Danmaku. I also definitely put in an order for that Flipgrip. I was already eyeballing that thing pretty hard when it was just available on Fangamer. Bundling it into an LRG order just makes the decision easier.

I agree with you in a lot of ways, I but I feel that 2018 was that point already. There are so many of these damn limited print publishers now. And then there are the limited retail releases (like Soedesco or GS exclusives), as well as other random situations like SE releasing Lost Sphear through their store. And while we are taking the Vita out of the running in '19, the Switch is here, and it more than makes up for the lost volume of Vita titles. I know a lot of people have incredibly arbitrary rules for what they'll buy, but there are also people like myself that just like game 'X' and want a physical copy of it if it exists, so that could be EAS, SRG, or any of the ESRB publishers.

I agree that an enormous amount of my gaming budget now goes to these purchases. And I just don't feel good about it because the price of these releases is typically high for what you're getting (I can't count how many games that are frequently on sale for $5-$10 digital we are asked to pay $25-$35 plus shipping for), and one can't wait for a sale, get free shipping, etc. Hell, much of the time buying within 1 minute to 1 hour of release is necessary. I rarely chip away at my list of retro games that I've yet to get now due to constantly buying so many of these, and I only get titles that I find interesting and want, as maintaining the integrity of my library is important to me. And I definitely make a healthy salary, so it's not a matter of "Stop working at McDonald's." lol

It's interesting to discuss, but I know that all of us in this thread are not normal consumers. I have a collection that puts 90% of YouTubers to shame, and I know that many of you have those too--to varying degrees. I'll never stop saying how much I dislike how this has changed the market, and how anti-consumer 'most' of these practices are--when compared to games released at retail. But I'm also going to keep buying them, as maintaining my library is more important to me than a silent protest of a single person. Hopefully things move in a good direction and we reach a bit of an equilibrium. LRG have honestly made some good changes (like no more CE exclusive cover art). They still need to make more changes, but it's nice to see any positive movement; though now we have companies like SLG making the same god damn mistakes, but hopefully they'll learn, too.

I really love Neurovoider. I bought the PS4 version with the soundtrack when it was released and I loved playing it.

I bought the vita digital version and I have played it a bunch. Just picked the Vita version up.

Anyone have a opinion on whether or not to get Neurovoider?  It looks good but not sure if its actually worth it.  Debating on adding it to my Celeste order or just waiting until Iconoclasts and combing the two.

Whew, I lucked out. My baby has had sleep regression and has been waking a lot in the night, and I forgot/failed to get my LRG stuff right at release. Thankfully, Sundered and Neurovoider were both still in stock almost an hour later.

Anyone have a opinion on whether or not to get Neurovoider? It looks good but not sure if its actually worth it. Debating on adding it to my Celeste order or just waiting until Iconoclasts and combing the two.
Do you like the Roguelike and Twin Stick Shooter genres? If so, this one has great music and really good customization. It's not even remotely worth $30 shipped, but if you want the physical, then it is what it is.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Anyone have a opinion on whether or not to get Neurovoider? It looks good but not sure if its actually worth it. Debating on adding it to my Celeste order or just waiting until Iconoclasts and combing the two.
Well, Iconoclasts is 2 weeks off, so no telling if Neurovoider last that long to combine, so while I'm not familiar with the quality, I would recommend adding it now, rather than later.

What even makes less sense is that in their defense of this club they stated that if they would increase their production of a title if the early access membership sales warranted more copies being produced in order to satisfy demand from non-members. So.... what is the point of the early access? They were basically saying that they would make sure non-members would have a chance at ordering titles and they wouldn't sell out during the 48 hour early access window. I am not getting it.
The only benefit I see is the upgrade to "premium" shipping boxes, which as others have pointed out, should have been the default all along. Assuming that they never default to the premium packaging, and that you continually pay for the packaging, the membership essentially pays for itself.

Edit: Let me point out that I am in no way trying to justify the membership, as I think it's a ridiculous cash grab. Just playing devil's advocate.

I agree that an enormous amount of my gaming budget now goes to these purchases. And I just don't feel good about it because the price of these releases is typically high for what you're getting (I can't count how many games that are frequently on sale for $5-$10 digital we are asked to pay $25-$35 plus shipping for), and one can't wait for a sale, get free shipping, etc.
A good current example of this is Sundered is currently $6.59 on PSN and LRG is asking $30 plus tax and shipping (comes out to near $40 for me). The game looks awesome though, and I want a physical copy, so I bought it. Doesn't make me feel good about spending that much though.

A good current example of this is Sundered is currently $6.59 on PSN and LRG is asking $30 plus tax and shipping (comes out to near $40 for me). The game looks awesome though, and I want a physical copy, so I bought it. Doesn't make me feel good about spending that much though.
Iconoclasts was free to Playstation Plus members last month. Makes it that much harder to justify the physical purchase.

A good current example of this is Sundered is currently $6.59 on PSN and LRG is asking $30 plus tax and shipping.
A physical copy is not the same as a digital copy. If all you're looking to do is spend less, by all means, just get the digital version. At launch, the digital versions of games are usually priced identically to their physical counterparts. But over time, the digital versions always go lower. Many games that I see physically for $20 today can be had on the official digital storefronts for half that much on sale, often less. Physical copies rarely ever dip below that $20 floor these days, but digital copies constantly do. These days, enough patience can snag you a digital copy of just about any game for around $5. All it takes is patience.

But bargains aren't really what LRG's business model is about. (or any other limited print-run publisher) This is about collectors looking to get limited quantity physical copies. And physical copies have finite limits on how low the price can go. The markup on physical copies is way lower than on digital. Digital games can be sold for a much lower price and still turn a higher net profit than their physical counterparts. And there's virtually no overhead for storing and continuing to sell digital copies long-term. You don't need shelf space or warehouse space for digital games. On top of all of this, limited physical runs tend to be more pricey per-unit, as you don't benefit from economies of scale. (no volume discount) That's why a publisher like LRG can't reasonably compete on price with digital games. Expecting there to be even the slightest parity is unrealistic.

And personally, there have been many times where I've picked up an LRG title, despite the fact that I already owned the digital version. I own two digital copies of Thimbleweed Park, as well as my LRG physical copy. I'm a crazy collector, and for games that I'm especially fond of, I will acquire a physical copy on top of my existing access to the game. I know I'm not alone in this.

Yes this is the issue that keeps recurring.  The answer is to only buy the all-time great games that are truly important for  you to have in your collection.   Everything else can be bought digitally at a small fraction of the price. 

I learned year before last that I don't need a physical version of absolutely everything.  That was simply a waste of money. 

True that. I noticed it shortly after getting some Vita blind boxes a year or two ago. I was like oh yeah....and then I was like I don't really want any of these, though they were not bad games. Even some LRG stuff I got I will likely sell eventually like my Night Trap PS4. I want to play it, but I'm sure it will be one of those play once and never again type games. I still have Breach and Clear sitting around in a box somewhere....I know where that one will go someday.

True that. I noticed it shortly after getting some Vita blind boxes a year or two ago. I was like oh yeah....and then I was like I don't really want any of these, though they were not bad games. Even some LRG stuff I got I will likely sell eventually like my Night Trap PS4. I want to play it, but I'm sure it will be one of those play once and never again type games. I still have Breach and Clear sitting around in a box somewhere....I know where that one will go someday.
Vita physical releases are what sold me on the concept in the first place, as memory was such a hot commodity. I'm becoming more and more tempted to mod my vita for additional memory, but I have yet to do so.

I’m pretty sure they said PixelJunk Monsters wouldn’t start production until the DLC was released and the timeframe on that was unknown.

This confuses me. The lag time on their releases is super annoying. But do you not want the product anymore?
I don't want it anymore after deciding to stop collecting in December. I'm going to end up reselling it if there is no cancellation process.

Edit: to add more to this, I ended up selling all my physical collection in Nov/Dec except for games without digital options. I'm all digital now.

I don't want it anymore after deciding to stop collecting in December. I'm going to end up reselling it if there is no cancellation process.

Edit: to add more to this, I ended up selling all my physical collection in Nov/Dec except for games without digital options. I'm all digital now.
Oh wow! Not a move I would make, but I definitely get making big changes. Several years ago I stopped doing CEs and Steelbooks (my steelbook collection was fucking legendary). I went to standard edition copies only, and I'm so, so, so, so, so much happier with everything now. So I hope that you enjoy your paradigm shift as much as I did!

Vita physical releases are what sold me on the concept in the first place, as memory was such a hot commodity. I'm becoming more and more tempted to mod my vita for additional memory, but I have yet to do so.
LOL, this is exactly why I really started buying physical as well(at least from LRG), as my 64GB card filled up rather early, so I was able to delete many titles once I got the physical. I'm actually in the process of selling off most of my Vita games, and only holding on to the LRG ones for now, just to get their "complete set" game, whatever that hell that may be(if it happens at all). LOL

I'm planning to mod my Vita somewhere between now and March, as no reason not to at this point. I'm actually considering buying another white OLED unit, as I do miss that screen, but I may just mod my current unit, just undecided at the moment. Having more memory and access to a large library at the touch of a button, allows me to play more games, due to the ease of use.

I've even grabbed a few NS LRG titles, but I'm strongly considering selling those at this point, since I decided last year to just stop collecting games. I've been repeating this same process pretty much since I started gaming, and I'm just tired to be honest. I always have tons of games I never play, and in the end, I'm just ready to make some life changes. I still love gaming, but with the digital future, collecting is just no longer something I want to do. Especially since I end up all digital at some point anyways, now I'm just saving time and money in the process.

I can't refute a lot of the arguments being made here. Digital is the future, it's true. And it's getting more affordable all the time. The Vita tried to throttle things with its proprietary memory cards. But just about every other platform jumped hard on allowing the consumer inexpensive options for digital storage. Sony's PS3 and PS4 both let you upgrade your hard drive yourself. XBox One lets you plug in external drives. Ditto for Nintendo's Wii U, and the Switch lets you use whatever high-capacity SD card you can afford. Digital-only is now not only a viable option, but it is a very appealing option.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that the more the digital push continues, the rarer and more collectible physical copies are going to be. And low print-runs of current games will be all the more valuable when future consoles or platforms discard physical distribution altogether. A push in the general public for greater digital adoption will actually improve the chances of companies like LRG to thrive, as their products will stand out more. An increased digital shift won't kill the collector market, only focus it.

I can't refute a lot of the arguments being made here. Digital is the future, it's true. And it's getting more affordable all the time.
At least on consoles it is. I actually have a pretty big beef with new release AAA PC gaming digital distribution. It is definitely more expensive to play brand new games on PC now compared to consoles. PS4 and XB1 games go on sale and get cheaper much faster. I was able to find the couple of new PC games that I purchased this year at significantly cheaper retail pricing than digital.

Pillars of Eternity II - $20 at Walmart

Battlefield V - $30 at Target

Destiny 2: Forsaken - $25 at Amazon and Best Buy

Once a single digital platform like Steam has a stranglehold, or the Origin shop becomes the only place you can buy an EA game, then the deals on digital new release purchasing evaporate. I'm not a fan.

Oh wow! Not a move I would make, but I definitely get making big changes. Several years ago I stopped doing CEs and Steelbooks (my steelbook collection was fucking legendary). I went to standard edition copies only, and I'm so, so, so, so, so much happier with everything now. So I hope that you enjoy your paradigm shift as much as I did!
I am much happier now. I don't have time or proper space to manage a physical collection. Bought a 400gv microsd card for my switch, a 2tb internal sshd for my ps4, and a 500gb external SSD for my Xbox one. Being able to pick up a controller and play any game on my list without being up is great. I was often chasing discounts and would end up with more games than I have time to play. Buying a good game at full price has more value to me than getting 2 games at 50% off if I only play one of them. But don't get me wrong, collecting is a lot of fun. I'm just done with that for now.

So no cancellation process at LRg?

I am much happier now. I don't have time or proper space to manage a physical collection. Bought a 400gv microsd card for my switch, a 2tb internal sshd for my ps4, and a 500gb external SSD for my Xbox one. Being able to pick up a controller and play any game on my list without being up is great. I was often chasing discounts and would end up with more games than I have time to play. Buying a good game at full price has more value to me than getting 2 games at 50% off if I only play one of them. But don't get me wrong, collecting is a lot of fun. I'm just done with that for now.

So no cancellation process at LRg?
As a rule, no, all sales are final. If you send them an email via their help desk website and explain the situation (and that it will clearly be the one and only time) then you might get lucky, but I would not count on it.

bread's done
Back