Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
They gonna remake average n64 physicals now too? What is going on here.
tenor.gif

Thoughts on the conference:

• Lots of cool games coming up. Transistor, Night in the Woods, and Freedom Planet were some personal highlights for me.
  • The rest of the Vita collection is about what I expected. I think the Hatoful games and Timespinners were the only things I would've expected to get a release that won't end up doing so (bar a possible EAS/P-A release).
  • I'm a bit annoyed that they're stretching the Vita library into 2020. Vita collecting is exhausting and I was looking forward to the end being soon.
  • No mention of Revenge of the Bird King for Vita (the "bonus game for full sets").
  • More FMV games are always welcome
  • I think I'm done trying to keep up with PS4 steelbooks - Power Rangers is too expensive and there's too much of their own library competing for my money.
  • The Vita games listed on their website finally got reduced to one per person. A very welcome change.
I'm probably more than a bit biased by my love of the Vita, but I really do think they've had the best conference so far. Squenix and Nintendo have yet to go though.

Super Star Wars SNES was in there... There's no way in hell that's getting a standalone release. Bounty Hunter is standalone, likely because it's a more "modern" release
You're talking about LRG. Super Star Wars may not get a standalone release, but if it gets released as a collection, it's probably going to be with the other two "Super" SNES ports and nothing else. While it would be great if all of those old SNES/PC games were on one collection, that would be very shocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of these games have been bundled more than anything and have been sold as 'Gold Box editions' at retail for years. They have no value.

This is the kind of LRG thing that gets my cynicism going.
There are brand new PC copies of Shadow of the Empire for $15 bucks right now. So I don't know what LRG is thinking if they are just PC release

Many of these games have been bundled more than anything and have been sold as 'Gold Box editions' at retail for years. They have no value.

This is the kind of LRG thing that gets my cynicism going.
I'd be ok with it if they were bundled into 3-4 collections, but based on what they are saying about the first two releases, that looks like a slim chance.

And I don't see the SNES games on the list... This makes it sound like LRG is going to be releasing NES and Game Boy games???

Yeah - I just watched that video again. The SNES games weren't in it.
It's pretty feasible, they've released physical retro carts in the past, and repros are pretty easy to produce nowadays. none of those are necessarily hard games to source a cheap copy of though so who knows

-Metal Slug is welcome, shame the other Geo games didn’t make the cut.

-Excited for the 3DS release and it sounds like they have more in the pipeline.

-Lukewarm on many of the Vita games (aside from Papers Please and Meat Boy) and the classic rereleases like Turok and the Lucas collection are passes.

-can’t wait for Transistor and Blaster Master.

It looks like Power Rangers won't ship out until November. Does anyone know why? Is there some DLC or something they're waiting on? It seems odd to put it up this early if it won't be shipping for that long.

My thoughts:

-Only truly hyped about Night in the Woods and maybe Transistor.

-Vita games look mostly crap, but I'll buy them all anyway to finish the set. Wish they weren't extending all the way to 2020, no idea why they would, but whatever.

-Ports of Red Faction, Turok, Star Wars, Corpse Killer, Myst etc. aren't needed

-LRG getting the Shenmue III collector's edition is gross

-Pleasantly surprised by 3DS collection and happy they're not trying to make people buy both Mutant Mudd games and Xeodrifter separately for a third time.

It looks like Power Rangers won't ship out until November. Does anyone know why? Is there some DLC or something they're waiting on? It seems odd to put it up this early if it won't be shipping for that long.
There was a season pass that they're going to include the content from, and the game has kinda been a mess content-wise. It definitely released very unfinished, so they released some characters for free.

I bought the Digital Collector’s Edition of Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, but always wanted a physical version. So I’m double-dipping and grabbed the Switch Mega Edition. Hopefully by the time it’s released, they get the rest of the Story Mode and characters out.

from the LRG twitter 

We'll be kicking off our collaboration with Lucasfilm Games on Friday, June 28 with STAR WARS™: Bounty Hunter (PS4) and STAR WARS™ (NES, GameBoy). Limited quantity Standard and Collector's Editions go on sale on http://limitedrungames.com  in two batches at 10am & 6pm EDT that day.

from the LRG twitter

We'll be kicking off our collaboration with Lucasfilm Games on Friday, June 28 with STAR WARS™: Bounty Hunter (PS4) and STAR WARS™ (NES, GameBoy). Limited quantity Standard and Collector's Editions go on sale on http://limitedrungames.com in two batches at 10am & 6pm EDT that day.
Still not getting what "STAR WARS (NES, Gameboy)" means. Or maybe I do if they are literally going to sell NES and Gameboy carts. I guess this retro cartridge stuff is going to keep being a thing. I will fully expect them to meet iAm8Bit's pricing structure. I was actually a bit excited when I saw their Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 SNES release until I saw the price.

Ok - I did just see the story saying these games are being released on the original platforms. So, Shadows of the Empire and Episode 1 Racer are going to get PC and Nintendo 64 releases.

Unfortunately, if they are re-releasing big box replicas of these Monkey Island games, they have got me. I would say I am 100% in for any collector's editions, but LRG can probably find a way to keep me away (poster, trading cards, and a 3.5" diskette USB drive all packaged in a monkey shaped box!).

Could be worse, like a random 99 cent PS4 game in a fake NES World Championship cart case with a Stadium Events slip cover with an Air Raid keychain and some Dracula X stickers in a Turbo Grafx CE box for $300.

sigh looks like my Jak and Daxter CE is lost in the mail...

the last status was a week ago that says "Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility".

Usually LR packages have that status and then 24 hours later they have a different status like "arrive at the destination UPS Mail Innovations facility." or something like that, but this one just never updated with a new status.

Great, the one item I really wanted is lost, and is also super limited, I really hope they have replacement shipments available for stuff like this just in case.
I had a 4 day update gap so I'm sure you're fine. For me, nothing from LRG ever delivers on time. My Jak CE was supposed to be delivered Friday, but will come tomorrow as it's finally in my city.

Ok - I did just see the story saying these games are being released on the original platforms. So, Shadows of the Empire and Episode 1 Racer are going to get PC and Nintendo 64 releases.
Wait what? Why would anyone do this? You can buy an original CIB N64 copy of Episode I Racer off eBay right now for $25. And $40 for Shadows of the Empire.

This isn't related to the E3 announcements, but I just got my standard edition copy of Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special in the mail today from LRG and popped it in to play, turns out only 2 of the 3 promised pieces of DLC are on the disc, which I'm a bit upset about (especially since it is $9.99 to buy separately, and it being on disc was part of the appeal)

As per the product listing, this version is supposed to have have Clarice, Homura, and the voice pack DLC on disc, turns out Homura is not unlocked. I don't think the CE versions of this game have gone out - I know there was a little bit of scuttlebutt because that version has an exclusive 4th DLC (Tatsujin) - but I'm curious if that version has all the DLC it is supposed to...it must be a different printing, presumably, if it has different on disc DLC.

The game has been printed already, so I guess nothing can be done, just felt like I've been lied to on this one. Seems like a pretty big mistake to make.

I missed the release date, so that makes more sense. The Digital Deluxe Edition came with the season pass, which is to have 3 new fighters, but they haven't revealed who or released any of it. I haven't seen any solid answer if the season pass content is on the actual disc/cartridge, but if it doesn't come out til November, hopefully that's indication it'll all be on there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This isn't related to the E3 announcements, but I just got my standard edition copy of Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special in the mail today from LRG and popped it in to play, turns out only 2 of the 3 promised pieces of DLC are on the disc, which I'm a bit upset about (especially since it is $9.99 to buy separately, and it being on disc was part of the appeal)

As per the product listing, this version is supposed to have have Clarice, Homura, and the voice pack DLC on disc, turns out Homura is not unlocked. I don't think the CE versions of this game have gone out - I know there was a little bit of scuttlebutt because that version has an exclusive 4th DLC (Tatsujin) - but I'm curious if that version has all the DLC it is supposed to...it must be a different printing, presumably, if it has different on disc DLC.

The game has been printed already, so I guess nothing can be done, just felt like I've been lied to on this one. Seems like a pretty big mistake to make.
Like you said, it's probably too late for anything to be done, but I'd suggest tweeting about it and let LRG know.

Like you said, it's probably too late for anything to be done, but I'd suggest tweeting about it and let LRG know.
That's probably the most reasonable course of action...I'm a old man (slightly exaggerating :p) who doesn't care for social media, so I don't actually have a Twitter account. But if someone else happens to see my post and wants to tweet on my behalf, feel free, I wouldn't mind. (And I'm sure someone else other than me who is Twitter-savvy will probably notice the same issue with their copy of the game and complain at some point anyways...guessing I was just the first person to actually open their copy and play it, haha).

Reminds me of their release of the first Seralim, the game is literally unplayable from the disc because it has a massive bug that loses your saves after only a few hours of play. There's a patch for it, but the disc is basically useless.

15x Star Wars/LucasArts games all $29.99 EA when there like $1 on steam all day long. fuck DAT!

I was excited, but it doesnt sound like its a collection so Ill pass. Im sure some fans will be excited but Im not buying any of them individually, if they were in a collection I would have got it. Same with turok, Id have gotten it if 1 and 2 were together.

Really all that interested me was corpse killer, blaster master, and possibly blazing chrome but Im not sure on that one yet.

Reminds me of their release of the first Seralim, the game is literally unplayable from the disc because it has a massive bug that loses your saves after only a few hours of play. There's a patch for it, but the disc is basically useless.
Also, I'm pretty sure the Vita version of Night Trap is still unbeatable because of bugs.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Vita version of Night Trap is still unbeatable because of bugs.
Man, that sucks to hear about these other issues with some of the other LRG game releases. I feel like there should be better quality control for what we are paying for these copies...sorta sours me a bit on the whole thing.

Man, that sucks to hear about these other issues with some of the other LRG game releases. I feel like there should be better quality control for what we are paying for these copies...sorta sours me a bit on the whole thing.
Agreed. It really sucks for the Vita games that are having issues. Vita cart production has ended, so there's nothing other than patches that can remedy the issues. What's the point of preserving a game if it has crippling bugs that don't allow the user to finish it? Also, releasing physical games that require updates to be downloaded goes against the whole idea of preserving games in physical form for a time in which servers that house the games and updates are closed down. When it comes to Game Tengoku, it's plain and simple false advertising for LRG to say that the purchase price includes specified DLC on disc, then leave some of it off. Consumers paid for something that was promised, but didn't receive it. Offering the DLC as a download in the future is not a good resolution at all. If indeed the Homura ship was left off the disc then LRG needs to make things right by making sure each customer receives a disc that includes what was promised.

Given the collectible nature of LRG's games combined with the small print runs, I am assuming many of the releases do not get played by a large number of people. I wonder if there are undiscovered glitches in other games.

This was the main reason I asked about Power Rangers, I wanted to make sure everything is on disc before shelling out that amount of money. Still seems up in the air, as I haven't seen a clear answer about the season pass content since it doesn't actually exist yet. If it's included but requires a download, that defeats the whole purpose of a physical cart.

This whole discussion reminded me of Yonder for Switch. I bought it from Best Buy about a week ago when they had a sale, but it had to download an update before it could play at all. No way to play without updating.

Agreed. It really sucks for the Vita games that are having issues. Vita cart production has ended, so there's nothing other than patches that can remedy the issues. What's the point of preserving a game if it has crippling bugs that don't allow the user to finish it? Also, releasing physical games that require updates to be downloaded goes against the whole idea of preserving games in physical form for a time in which servers that house the games and updates are closed down. When it comes to Game Tengoku, it's plain and simple false advertising for LRG to say that the purchase price includes specified DLC on disc, then leave some of it off. Consumers paid for something that was promised, but didn't receive it. Offering the DLC as a download in the future is not a good resolution at all. If indeed the Homura ship was left off the disc then LRG needs to make things right by making sure each customer receives a disc that includes what was promised.

Given the collectible nature of LRG's games combined with the small print runs, I am assuming many of the releases do not get played by a large number of people. I wonder if there are undiscovered glitches in other games.
I agree on all counts, a big part of why I buy these physical releases of games I enjoy is the preservationist mindset (and that's also something LRG likes to tout as well). It bums me out when I pop in one of these titles and see patches still getting pulled down, or hear about issues with other games people have purchased.

Your last point is something I was thinking about last night as well...I'm curious how many issues like this might not be noticed until a while down the road. I know I'm personally guilty of buying these titles and not opening them in the case where I already have a digital copy and I'm double-dipping on a physical (which is probably like half the time). Game Tengoku I didn't own digitally and I was excited to check it out, which is why I came across the issue. I've bought a decent amount of stuff from LRG, and this is the first time I feel actively cheated, like you said, it feels like false advertising in this case.

I triple checked regarding the Homura ship, to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but there is a very specific menu option in the game where you can see what DLC is available, and it definitely shows Homura as locked (the character even does a little monologue to convince you to buy it), and when you go to play arcade mode, it's not selectable. The Clarice DLC ship is available though, as well as being able to activate the voice pack DLC, so 2 of the 3 DLCs are there.

Agree with the sentiments on some issues. all the time spent getting approvals for builds and lacking basic QA is inexcusable.

Breaking so many games that belong in a collection into separate releases also makes them unattractive.  Will pass on most of these as well.

Bright side is I will no longer have to monitor LRG or spend for releases pretty soon.  It was good while it lasted.

Side note - I hate that they still feel their 'E3' presentation is charming enough to do exactly the same way.  I cringed knowing that they chose to continue doing this for whatever reason.

This was the main reason I asked about Power Rangers, I wanted to make sure everything is on disc before shelling out that amount of money. Still seems up in the air, as I haven't seen a clear answer about the season pass content since it doesn't actually exist yet. If it's included but requires a download, that defeats the whole purpose of a physical cart.

This whole discussion reminded me of Yonder for Switch. I bought it from Best Buy about a week ago when they had a sale, but it had to download an update before it could play at all. No way to play without updating.

If they really are being released on original systems, then it's an easy pass for me. I'm not a fan of these "official" repro games.
I think they may possibly find a decent market for those PC adventure games, though... Then again, so far they have supposedly sold out of everything they've produced, so it seems like there is no such thing as an LRG misstep.

But, if they want to create PC repros of LucasArts adventure games, they win. They go to Activision and license Sierra games? I'd be in trouble. For those, as long as they mimic original box art, I'll be sold no matter what other junk they put in the box. This is a case where the box is as important to me as it usually seems to be to them.

I am a bit more optimistic when it comes to potential pricing for the PC games. Not as sure about the NES/GB/N64 games, although I don't think they went too crazy on that GALF cart. But, given that iAm8Bit was able to sell 2000 copies of Earthworm Jim 1&2 for the SNES for $135 a piece, I can sure see a potential high cost for "Shadows of the Empire".

Side note - I hate that they still feel their 'E3' presentation is charming enough to do exactly the same way. I cringed knowing that they chose to continue doing this for whatever reason.
It stank of "look how weird and quirky we are and retro" that it comes off as forced and fake. Not ammusing and different like Im sure they intended. I only watched it for maybe 10 minutes then I just stopped and waited for the list of games they announced to just read in 30 seconds instead.

Id rather have just had a 10 minute video showing some footage from the games and saying what system it will be on shown back to back.

Right before their E3 video they played the spotlight that one youtuber did on on the company and the last thing Josh says in it is that they are about preserving games so that in 20 years time you can take that PS4 disc and stick it in your system and play the game.  But more and more of the releases since then need patches and fixes and are mostly pointless.  My copy of Golf Story has game breaking bugs in it to where you can't progress without the patch.

Blaster Master Zero, from what I could find, likely doesn't have the DLC on cart.  So it's likely falling off my list until it's confirmed the DLC is there.  The dev and LRG has been asked a bunch on Twitter and they seem to be refusing to answer.   That's something I would have considered... but I'm better off just sticking with my digital copy.

In researching the Blaster Master Question, I stumbled on a disturbing comment in the inticreates annoucement tweet that I looked into and there's a huge backlash against LRG right now over on Resetera because they are dealing with THQ.  Google Limited Run Games THQ if you want to read it.  It's pretty dark.  I'm glad I don't follow THQ and feel a bit bad at how over the top LRG was in their excitement to deal with the company.  Ultimately I don't hold any of that against LRG as I'd imagine the deal was in place before the events and they likely can't say anything too negative about THQ without it hurting their company more

Anyone else see this little blurb in the description for the Switch and PS4 versions of Power Rangers?

A brick and mortar retailer will be receiving copies of this game with a different cover. These copies will not be available until a later date and will likely not overlap our own preorder window. Please understand that if you sit out on our open window in order to try and secure a copy through brick and mortar, you may be left empty handed. This retailer also has the ability to not move forward with their order, as it has not been finalized yet. Opt to wait at your own risk.
Since they usually call out Best Buy specifically when they deal with them, this has me thinking another retailer will be carrying it. My money is on Gamestop as in a previous Fireside Chat Josh mentioned they were talking to Gamestop about a few things (taking in trades, starting to sell titles, etc).

I saw that, and I even asked if that includes the season pass, which he believes it does, but I still wish we'd get more confirmation seeing as they haven't given any info on what characters will be in the pass or when it will be released. I'll probably still preorder, but I'm hesitant. I'm also probably making this a bigger deal than it should be.

Anyone else see this little blurb in the description for the Switch and PS4 versions of Power Rangers?

Since they usually call out Best Buy specifically when they deal with them, this has me thinking another retailer will be carrying it. My money is on Gamestop as in a previous Fireside Chat Josh mentioned they were talking to Gamestop about a few things (taking in trades, starting to sell titles, etc).
I can see this, since there's rumblings of GS bankruptcy, it kinda gives it away. That and only gamestop would have such horrible practices.

bread's done
Back