Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
When you need to checkout does PayPal slow you down? I'd like to buy it with my Discover Card & PayPal for 5% CB but I'll do regular checkout if it's faster.

Yeah I love unboxing videos of regular games or blu Ray's where they drag it out for 15 minutes to say "here is the case, here is the disc and here is the insert. Goodbye".
Haha yeah I know. I was just surprised the game is already manufactured considering the usual wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they really that excited and is that really everyone's favorite series?
No, of course not. That's marketing speak. Bubsy isn't anyone's favourite series. It's a barely-remembered footnote from the 90's character platformer boom. Earthworm Jim is more relevant, and Earthworm Jim is NOT relevant.

No, of course not. That's marketing speak. Bubsy isn't anyone's favourite series. It's a barely-remembered footnote from the 90's character platformer boom. Earthworm Jim is more relevant, and Earthworm Jim is NOT relevant.
Well, EWJ just had an IndieGoGo campaign end for a comic book, and it took the record for the site in this category. So I would say it's more relevant than most, as it broke records for a book, so I could only imagine how well something for an actual game might do. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/earthworm-jim-the-comic-book#/updates/all

Indeed, it's marketing speak. Bubsy was garbage and continues to be garbage.

EWJ though was the real deal for the first two games. They were super creative/inventive with great graphics and sound (for that time). Though maybe they aren't super relevant now those two games are something I still look back on as highlights of the 16bit era.

Are they really that excited and is that really everyone's favorite series?
giphy.gif

Well, EWJ just had an IndieGoGo campaign end for a comic book, and it took the record for the site in this category. So I would say it's more relevant than most, as it broke records for a book, so I could only imagine how well something for an actual game might do. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/earthworm-jim-the-comic-book#/updates/all
I wouldn't put too much weight on the outcome of the Indiegogo. It became a political statement to back it for a lot of very troubled people. Having said that, there are apparently already plans to revive EWJ on the forthcoming Amico platform with the original development team.

So I would say it's more relevant than most
The point here isn't to rip on Earthworm Jim. I have no problem with Earthworm Jim, and still enjoy playing the first two entries in that series. But the comparison between EJ and Bubsy makes sense, as they were similar character platformers that hit the market around the same time. And neither of them is currently relevant, no matter what manner of crowd-funding might be associated with them.

The point I'm making is that Bubsy isn't currently relevant, even when compared to other retro revivals. Even Toe-Jam-and-Earl would be more relevant, as it's recent retro revival at least got decent reviews. Bubsy is the bottom of the barrel, no matter which barrel we happen to be talking about. It was never good to begin with, and isn't going to be getting good anytime soon.

The point here isn't to rip on Earthworm Jim. I have no problem with Earthworm Jim, and still enjoy playing the first two entries in that series. But the comparison between EJ and Bubsy makes sense, as they were similar character platformers that hit the market around the same time. And neither of them is currently relevant, no matter what manner of crowd-funding might be associated with them.

The point I'm making is that Bubsy isn't currently relevant, even when compared to other retro revivals. Even Toe-Jam-and-Earl would be more relevant, as it's recent retro revival at least got decent reviews. Bubsy is the bottom of the barrel, no matter which barrel we happen to be talking about. It was never good to begin with, and isn't going to be getting good anytime soon.
I was only pointing out what others have said, one of these games was well reviewed and well received, while the other had neither. EWJ is only not relevant today, as nothing in gaming is being offered, but there was major interest when it was announced a new game was coming, but went cold when it was found to be offered on the new intellivision(as that base is rather small). If it would have been offered on a next gen system, it would be more than relevant, and to some degree it still is, even on a lesser known or wanted system.

Crowdfunding or not, it broke the sites record for funds collected in their comic book campaigns, and Bubsy wouldn't have come close. It showed fans of the game still love the character and want to see more, as not many games would have pulled that kind of funding for a book. The comparison is just very weak, as comparing Bubsy to games like Gex, Aero the Acrobat, Plok, Rocky Rodent, etc would have been much better comparisons. As those games all got promoted as the next big "mascot", but the games sucked and no one no longer cares, but EWJ is not these games, not even close!

Bubsy had a Kickstarter earlier this year. It did not go well.

Yeah, this was the point, as if EWJ had a campaign for a new next gen game, it would have blown this book crowdfunding away, and a game like Bubsy can't buy fans, two entirely different IP's. These games should never be mentioned together, unless it's to show how to successfully make a mascot character, and how not to, any other comparisons is a joke at best.

These games should never be mentioned together, unless it's to show how to successfully make a mascot character, and how not to, any other comparisons is a joke at best.
That IS pretty much the point of the comparison. I'm not trying to dunk on Earthworm Jim, which I'm more than willing to admit is a pretty good game series and a solidly entertaining character. I very much AM trying to dunk on Bubsy, which was a Z-Tier also-ran when it originally came out in the mid-90s, and is a complete waste of time in the present day.

The two properties have similarities. Both of them came out around the same time. Both of them fall within the same genre. Both of them had a relatively brief surge of popularity that fizzled out. Both of them have had attempted nostalgic revivals. There are plenty of parallels present.

Anyone familiar with both properties can tell you that Earthworm Jim was great, and Bubsy was mediocre and pointless. And that is the primary distinction between them. Earthworm Jim had some quality design and development behind it, and actual personality. Bubsy was a trend-chasing pointless cash-in. The point of the comparison is that despite being similar to a title like Earthworm Jim, EJ was at least good at some point, while Bubsy never was. Bubsy has always been crap, even by the standards of its over-saturated genre. As you pointed out, EJ is one of the better examples of character platformers from its era. Bubsy isn't.

There is an unboxing video of Gravity Ghost.
What's weird is the LRG product description states the item is currently in manufacturing and is expected to ship in September, yet there is very clearly a boxed copy of the LRG version of the game in the unboxing video.

Another weird thing is I read (on the Official Playstation blog) that LRG was making 2000 copies of the game yet the item description says only 1040 copies will be sold. Are they really giving away around 800 copies of the game or is the 2000 quantity I read elsewhere incorrect?

maybe the unboxing was of a prototype? I think i remember LRG saying they get prototypes of a fully manufactured boxed game to sign-off on before giving the go ahead on manufacturing the entire batch.

Maybe 2000 is the entire batch made and 1040 is the number being sold after extra are put to the side for damages, future giveaways, promotions, given to staff or the developers.

maybe the unboxing was of a prototype? I think i remember LRG saying they get prototypes of a fully manufactured boxed game to sign-off on before giving the go ahead on manufacturing the entire batch.

Maybe 2000 is the entire batch made and 1040 is the number being sold after extra are put to the side for damages, future giveaways, promotions, given to staff or the developers.
I believe they only allow 10% or so for damages and such, which is why I thought they may be giving away a bunch of copies (unless the 2000 figure was wrong).

Anyone here ever purchase a switch game from Super Rare or any version of a game from a different region? Are you able to update the game to the latest version if your switch region is set to the US, and the game is from a different region, or do you have to have an account with the same region as the game? Same question for coin redemption, I have one game from a different region, and it gives me an error code if I try to redeem the coins. Thanks for any insight!

I'm really torn on Metal Slug 3. I'd like it, but I have it other places. But I'm on business and might miss both batches anyway.

Anyone here ever purchase a switch game from Super Rare or any version of a game from a different region? Are you able to update the game to the latest version if your switch region is set to the US, and the game is from a different region, or do you have to have an account with the same region as the game? Same question for coin redemption, I have one game from a different region, and it gives me an error code if I try to redeem the coins. Thanks for any insight!
Haven't bought anything from Super Rare, but my Japanese and Asian games all update automatically. You'll probably need a regional account to redeem coins, but I've never tried it. Hmm...

I'm really torn on Metal Slug 3. I'd like it, but I have it other places. But I'm on business and might miss both batches anyway.
I'm not getting why they are only releasing a standalone Metal Slug 3 instead of the anthology.

Edit - I saw there are gripes about the anthology version.... I wonder if LRG is going to bother releasing all of them individually.

Metal Slug Anthology was a piece of shit. Having 7 games sounds nice but they all had basic problems from input lag to certain versions not even having hit stun when you shoot a boss.
But with unlimited continues I was fine with those small gripes. All I wanted was to re experience them anyway so it worked great for me.

If lrg did a collection I'd consider it but I can't even begin to justify spending 30 dollars plus shipping for a game I can beat in like less than 1 hour.

Replayed metal slug anthology on my Wii and I really like it, but not enough to pay all that for JUST part 3.

Easy pass
I agree, I love Metal Slug 3 it's probably my favorite game in the series, but since I have scaled way back on LRG games I don't feel the need to buy it. That CE is really cool though, but hard to jump on it for the price. I do think I will end up ordering Timespinner and Rogue Legacy on Switch though.

But with unlimited continues I was fine with those small gripes. All I wanted was to re experience them anyway so it worked great for me.

If lrg did a collection I'd consider it but I can't even begin to justify spending 30 dollars plus shipping for a game I can beat in like less than 1 hour.
I think every Metal Slug port outside of the original Xbox version had unlimited continues. I dunno how you can consider those small gripes. The input lag was horrendous to the point where you could feel the delay everytime you pressed a button and again, you couldn't even tell if you were damaging a boss because the hit sounds were removed.

Metal Slug 3 Vita Standard sold out in less than a minute. Had some hiccups in checkout but I still managed to get it. I'm glad there are only ~6 more Vita sale days.

Metal Slug 3 Vita Standard sold out in less than a minute. Had some hiccups in checkout but I still managed to get it. I'm glad there are only ~6 more Vita sale days.
I went for the Vita CE which sold out in a little under 2 minutes. I probably would have missed out on the standard since I had to wait in line for about 30 seconds and didn't finish checkout until after 10:01.

I absolutely love Metal Slug but couldn’t push myself into buying it this morning. Having a real hard time persuading myself into buying it for that price.

Has it been mentioned if Timespinner and the Turok games will be available at Best Buy?

the only way to get timespinner is from LRG. as of now the only way to get turok is from LRG but that my change
Going through their Twitter posts yesterday I noticed that they confirmed Best Buy will be getting copies of both Turok games. They haven't updated the item description to reflect it yet but they likely will. They also seemed to have lowered the price to $29.99 each from the initial listings of $34.99 each.

Going through their Twitter posts yesterday I noticed that they confirmed Best Buy will be getting copies of both Turok games. They haven't updated the item description to reflect it yet but they likely will. They also seemed to have lowered the price to $29.99 each from the initial listings of $34.99 each.
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1159486791428296705

Vita Metal Slug standard went very fast, and the CE was right behind it in selling out. Checked out super fast and still barely got them apparently. The CE went up for sale a little early, so I was able to add that to my cart then get to the standard version, or else I doubt I would have been able to get one of each. When I went directly back to the LRG page after checkout the standard was already gone. Broken record alert: LRG need to make everything Vita one per customer. Even though the vanilla copies were 1 per, the CEs were not. Sucks that people are getting left out of purchasing games so that some people can have two.

I thought Vita cart production stopped... how are there still so many Vita games being released?
Most of if not all of these games have already been produced, LRG is just milking the clock! LOL The March deadline was when orders needed to have been placed already, so technically production could happen after the fact, it just depends on the schedule. But I'm sure LRG said they had most of this stuff produced already(if not all?).

Most of if not all of these games have already been produced, LRG is just milking the clock! LOL The March deadline was when orders needed to have been placed already, so technically production could happen after the fact, it just depends on the schedule. But I'm sure LRG said they had most of this stuff produced already(if not all?).
The product description on the standard does say standard only orders will be shipped within 3 weeks. They appear to be waiting on the Shockbox for the CE so those will ship in October.

bread's done
Back