Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Yes, but there was a delay manufacturing the card, so LRG had to ship it separately. I just got mine a week ago. Came in a cardboard CD sleeve mailer.
Wait really? I had no idea... I def didn't get anything.

Also, anyone get a shipping notice for their NS blind box? I know we're only half-way through Feb and it prob won't ship until... I dunno, July, or something because "excuses" but I'm getting antsy. Really hoping for Pirate's Curse but knowing my luck, it'll be some garbage games (Bubsy and Turok prob).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but there was a delay manufacturing the card, so LRG had to ship it separately. I just got mine a week ago. Came in a cardboard CD sleeve mailer.
Thanks. Got my Atooi Collection 4-5 days ago but no card. I suppose a small amount of hope a card comes separately.

It looks like Nintendo themselves are publishing it, too. Seems like Papa N saw the money coming through and wanted a piece of the pie.
Wow I missed that. Good for Supergiant, Hades seems like it should do well with a normal retail release.

The downside is that Hades is worthy of some sort of collectors edition. I assume the Nintendo release will be bare bones (cart and case only).

Wonder how Nintendo publishing the Switch version will affect potential releases on other consoles.
The direct mentioned some art book and and soundtrack.

You guys laugh, but LRG will be announcing Hades Special Edition for $150 on March 20 (the day after this Nintendo published version releases)... And you'll all buy it for a triple dip.

Anyone have a link to the site that shows the actual production numbers for LRG?  For example, many of the Switch games were open pre-order.  I recall a site that had data on how many of each game were actually produced.  I can't seem to find it anymore.  Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if Hades for non-Nintendo systems gets released though LRG.  I'd much rather it get a retail release though and I already preordered the Switch version from BB to show my support of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hades for non-Nintendo systems gets released though LRG. I'd much rather it get a retail release though and I already preordered the Switch version from BB to show my support of it.
Would very much rather have this on PS4 vs NS, curious as to why Supergiant only did NS when I think getting a game published on PS4 isn't all the difficult? Or maybe Sony is making it difficult to publish PS4 games now without a PS5 upgrade or something?

Would very much rather have this on PS4 vs NS, curious as to why Supergiant only did NS when I think getting a game published on PS4 isn't all the difficult? Or maybe Sony is making it difficult to publish PS4 games now without a PS5 upgrade or something?
It's not on PS4 yet

Anyone have a link to the site that shows the actual production numbers for LRG? For example, many of the Switch games were open pre-order. I recall a site that had data on how many of each game were actually produced. I can't seem to find it anymore. Thanks!
Pretty sure it's been a few years since they were disclosing production numbers on most games. Especially with open preorders taking over. It would probably do them harm with some buyers to know the games aren't as limited as presumed.

Every single Supergiant game has only been on 1 console and PC at launch for whatever reason. This is just how they roll. Couldn't tell you why it's always that way, but it is.

They've said they want to bring the game to as many platforms as possible though, so I am just holding out for now myself.

Nintendo's been doing a ton of timed exclusivity with the Switch, especially with higher-end non-AAA games. Panzer Dragoon, Turok, Monster Hunter, Brigandine, Messenger, Hollow Knight, Meat Boy Forever, etc. So I assume it's that.

Anyone have a link to the site that shows the actual production numbers for LRG? For example, many of the Switch games were open pre-order. I recall a site that had data on how many of each game were actually produced. I can't seem to find it anymore. Thanks!
This is the most complete list, and it's maintained by a community member of theirs named Budgie on Discord: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ko7iYqZDcr5Leq6I_1byupsVcyFjFZDYItTK5qhOwxk/edit#gid=203011349

I'm not sure whether it's intentional to obscure numbers or if they just can't be bothered (my money's on the latter), but LRG doesn't publish their own numbers anymore.

This. I would absolutely expect it to come out on PS4. It's probably just a timed exclusive (or may not even). There is no way Supergiant could have been paid enough by Nintendo to lock it away from PS4 and Xbox. 115 million users on PS4 is too lucrative to walk away from.

Acclaimed games like this one will get a physical release on PS4 (and more so given Sony has publicly acknowledged that supply issues with PS5 components will be a problem all year-round). It's just a matter of when and by who.

I could see a larger publisher than LRG (505?) taking this one.

I feel like people don't realize the hardships that come with coding a release on multiple platforms.

Look at all the kickstarter releases that promised all the platforms and at least one version would be a buggy mess. Bloodstained is a great example of this, switch ran like shit and ps4 was leagues better.

I feel like people don't realize the hardships that come with coding a release on multiple platforms.
This is true. Porting is not the push-button process that a lot of people seem to think it is. The example you mentioned, Bloodstained, was actually constructed using a cross-platform engine (Unreal). And it still had copious difficulties.

Super Giant is actually pretty wise to limit their efforts to one porting platform at a time. And the Switch is a pretty obvious target for initial porting. With its ARM architecture, there are plenty of accessible tools for getting it running on the Switch. Thanks to the boom in mobile development over the past decade, ARM is one of the most stable and well-documented platforms out there. And of course, there is the performance. ARM in general, and the Switch in particular, tend to be lower-performance. If you can get a game running smoothly on that platform, you'll have lots of leeway for getting it running on other platforms. Porting up tends to be a smoother operation than porting down.

For fans on the PS4/PS5 and XBox, I wouldn't worry too much. Super Giant has not been shy about porting their games to other platforms. It's likely just a matter of time before you get a copy, and I would imagine sooner rather than later.

Received my Switch copy of The Mummy Demastered. Now I only have 2 open orders; the Blaster Master Collector's Edition set (which is listed as On Deck, yay!) and all the Shantae stuff.

*Of course, I'm going to end up buying Curse of the Moon 2, and the Castlevania collection whenever it finally goes up. Any idea why they aren't doing the Contra one as well? 

One week reminder that Scott Pilgrim preorders close next Sunday.  Best Buy will be carrying both PS4 and Switch versions it seems if you forget to order, or would rather order from them.

Also, Ground Zero Texas preoders close tonight.

Will probably get in an order for After Party PS4 before that closes as I don't see that one popular enough to show up at Best Buy.

I wonder if LRG could go after the Sony exclusive, Arise: A Simple Story.  Would like to see that one get a physical release!

The ones from the first 2 or so years don't because they thought they didn't need them. The wording was about selling through retail/third party, I think.

The ones from the first 2 or so years don't because they thought they didn't need them.
They DON'T need them. Technically, they still don't. The requirement for ESRB ratings was imposed by Sony and Nintendo. The ESRB is an industry organization that companies buy into. It has no force of law. No one actually needs an ESRB rating to publish their game publicly. Any "requirements" for these ratings are imposed by retailers, or companies within the industry. In this case, Sony and Nintendo are the ones who are "requiring" these ratings.

It is also true that Best Buy "requires" these ratings in order to carry games in their retail outlets. If LRG was publishing their own games without involvement in a controlled platform, they could do so without any ESRB ratings. The ESRB was specifically created to avoid governmental oversight.

They DON'T need them. Technically, they still don't. The requirement for ESRB ratings was imposed by Sony and Nintendo. The ESRB is an industry organization that companies buy into. It has no force of law. No one actually needs an ESRB rating to publish their game publicly. Any "requirements" for these ratings are imposed by retailers, or companies within the industry. In this case, Sony and Nintendo are the ones who are "requiring" these ratings.

It is also true that Best Buy "requires" these ratings in order to carry games in their retail outlets. If LRG was publishing their own games without involvement in a controlled platform, they could do so without any ESRB ratings. The ESRB was specifically created to avoid governmental oversight.
Actually, LRG does need ESRB ratings because, as you say, Nintendo and Sony are requiring them. I believe the thinking is physical releases can be resold, and the ESRB logic is that this resaleability means the rating should be included on all packages.

I believe the thinking is physical releases can be resold, and the ESRB logic is that this resaleability means the rating should be included on all packages.
No, because most game publishers are openly antagonistic towards second-hand retailers. Game publishers and platform holders like Sony and Nintendo care very little about companies like GameStop re-selling their products. If anything, they would actively want to prevent such re-selling. They don't particularly care about any ratings-associated limitations. Re-sale is not an issue.

What is potentially an issue is public controversy spurred on over a title published without an ESRB rating. When physical publishers like LRG were small, boutique shops, Sony didn't view this as a risk. This is why we got several years where pretty much no one cared or mentioned that there were no ESRB logos on the LRG games. But once LRG started getting a larger volume of releases, and in particular got more media attention, Sony changed their stance. This was a matter of public relations and optics, not re-sold games. Previously, Sony had simply relied on retailers to enforce ESRB ratings. If LRG didn't choose to enforce the rating system, that was no skin off of Sony's teeth, they got paid either way. But with greater media exposure and attention, Sony felt the need to start covering their backside.

Nintendo likely had the ESRB requirement set in stone from the word go. They've always been extremely defensive of their public image and family-friendly branding. There's no way they would ever print cartridges without ESRB ratings. The Big N having such a requirement is hardly a surprise.

No, because most game publishers are openly antagonistic towards second-hand retailers. Game publishers and platform holders like Sony and Nintendo care very little about companies like GameStop re-selling their products. If anything, they would actively want to prevent such re-selling. They don't particularly care about any ratings-associated limitations. Re-sale is not an issue.

What is potentially an issue is public controversy spurred on over a title published without an ESRB rating. When physical publishers like LRG were small, boutique shops, Sony didn't view this as a risk. This is why we got several years where pretty much no one cared or mentioned that there were no ESRB logos on the LRG games. But once LRG started getting a larger volume of releases, and in particular got more media attention, Sony changed their stance. This was a matter of public relations and optics, not re-sold games. Previously, Sony had simply relied on retailers to enforce ESRB ratings. If LRG didn't choose to enforce the rating system, that was no skin off of Sony's teeth, they got paid either way. But with greater media exposure and attention, Sony felt the need to start covering their backside.

Nintendo likely had the ESRB requirement set in stone from the word go. They've always been extremely defensive of their public image and family-friendly branding. There's no way they would ever print cartridges without ESRB ratings. The Big N having such a requirement is hardly a surprise.
I don't know, Sony is requiring ESRB on all limited publishers now, including companies like Hard Copy Games that literally do four releases a year of 1,000 copies each. I got the impression that Sony was pressured by some of LRG's retail competitors who felt they were being held to a different standard which led to the change rather than being worried that there would be some kind of media backlash.

I think you're overstating Nintendo's care for its family friendly image. This is the console maker who's literally letting every pervy game on its system - even ones Sony and Microsoft wouldn't allow.

ESRB ratings started to be required in 2017. LRG made a statement here: https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/esrb-statement

They didn't exactly hide the drama leading up to that, but I'm not going to splunk through four years of Twitter to find it (assuming it hasn't since been deleted). IIRC it was fine while LRG games were exclusively online, but once they started putting the games in brick and mortar locations (Mom & Pop partner stores) ESRB threw a fit to the platform holders and this was the outcome.

This is why I didn’t understand how Nintendo ended up with the Bayonetta license, and why I don’t understand their decision this gen to basically let anything anyone publishes have a home on the switch.

This is why I didn’t understand how Nintendo ended up with the Bayonetta license, and why I don’t understand their decision this gen to basically let anything anyone publishes have a home on the switch.
Why? They've always allowed mature games on their systems. 'Mortal Kombat' eventually had blood on the SNES. 'Conker's Bad Fur Day,' 'Eternal Darkness,' 'House of the Dead, like, all the 'Call of Duty's' and 'Resident Evil's.' They know they need at least something geared towards adults, and SEGA was willing to let others use the 'Bayonetta' IP. It must do well enough for Nintendo to keep funding the series.

Which leads me to your second point: money.

On topic, I received my 'Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection' Classic Edition yesterday. My first non-Vita SNK classic edition. I'm disappointed. The outer box everything comes in just has a sleeve, and the other items are more to scale than I thought they'd be. The art book is actually smaller than what it looks like in the promo compared to the soundtrack (which is really nice btw). And while the bios of the artists from the whole series is really, really cool, there isn't much art in this book.

What is the point of this fake Neo Geo cartridge? This is the first one I got, and while obviously not a reason to get these editions, I thought it was at least to scale of the original Neo Geo carts like how the fake Genesis carts are the same size as actual Genesis carts. But this thing is the size of a Game Gear cart. Who thought this was a good idea?

Why? They've always allowed mature games on their systems. 'Mortal Kombat' eventually had blood on the SNES. 'Conker's Bad Fur Day,' 'Eternal Darkness,' 'House of the Dead, like, all the 'Call of Duty's' and 'Resident Evil's.' They know they need at least something geared towards adults, and SEGA was willing to let others use the 'Bayonetta' IP. It must do well enough for Nintendo to keep funding the series.
It's noteworthy that the company censoring games up to less than 30 years ago is the one not censoring games now while the other console vendors are censoring. Even more noteworthy since the Playstation and Xbox brands have never been 'for kids'.

bread's done
Back