Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/Dino_Timecop/status/1394800654917373954?s=19
This is really the problem with these reproductions. The Mega Man X re-release, SF2, Super Double Dragon all have issues that wouldn't have been a problem in the 90's because QA would have caught them and they wouldn't have been approved for release.

This is really the problem with these reproductions. The Mega Man X re-release, SF2, Super Double Dragon all have issues that wouldn't have been a problem in the 90's because QA would have caught them and they wouldn't have been approved for release.
Wily wars is being done by retro bit at least, they say that their boards are proper voltage. These repro releases are all garbage though

It's money. That's it
It's not though, they redesigned it. The original GBC release doesn't have this issue, meaning they had a working template they could have simply ripped off. I realize there are dozens of tiny issues that could require them to rework the board, but in the end it means they had to spend that money anyway. This just shows they spent it incompetently.

Also, it seems the ESRB ratings on the box and the cart label don't match (E10+ on the box, E on the cart). Makes you wonder what other issues are going to pop up with their repros.

I wasn't saying money as in it was a spending issue, I'm saying that their main goal is money. They care more about the green rolling in than they do the product they put out.
Very true. Anyway, I'll go back to my corner and pray to Baby Jebus that they don't do anything this dumb to mess up Jeremy Parish's NGPC book.

It's typical after market stuff really. 

Even something like an Everdrive for SNES the makers say try not to constantly remove the cart and put it back in because over time it will damage the pins on an SNES. 

I just don't know if Nintendo/Sega has a patent on the exact carts or the materials to do a 1:1 duplication are too expensive or just aren't available.

It's not though, they redesigned it. The original GBC release doesn't have this issue, meaning they had a working template they could have simply ripped off. I realize there are dozens of tiny issues that could require them to rework the board, but in the end it means they had to spend that money anyway. This just shows they spent it incompetently.

Also, it seems the ESRB ratings on the box and the cart label don't match (E10+ on the box, E on the cart). Makes you wonder what other issues are going to pop up with their repros.
LRG isn't directly making the carts so it's ultimately a money thing, I'm not big on their stuff but they should at least be having better carts made

Edit: I'm on my phone and fixed some grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it a little funny that we're arguing about whether their bad product is due more to them being too cheap or too disinterested lol

I find it a little funny that we're arguing about whether their bad product is due more to them being too cheap or too disinterested lol
596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

Am I not understanding something? Why would anybody open a GBC cartridge and then complain that they couldn't open it without breaking it? They're not supposed to be opened in the first place.

Am I not understanding something? Why would anybody open a GBC cartridge and then complain that they couldn't open it without breaking it? They're not supposed to be opened in the first place.
Haha yes there's something you're missing. First, they're designed to be opened easily. You take out the screw in the back and slide the two halves of the shell apart until they come loose from each other. This Shantae cart has two capacitors where the carts are supposed to slide together (which as far as I know makes it the only GBC game that does), so to open it you either have to break the tabs that slide into each other OR you risk bumping/damaging the capacitors which would make the cart unplayable.

The reasons why you would need to open it include, but are not limited to: replacing the internal battery, cleaning the pins, reflowing chips that came detached from the board, repairing damaged traces, general cleaning, etc. In other words, basic maintenance. If you collect any cart-based games this is all necessary for keeping them in good working condition.

The reasons why you would need to open it include, but are not limited to: replacing the internal battery, cleaning the pins, reflowing chips that came detached from the board, repairing damaged traces, general cleaning, etc. In other words, basic maintenance. If you collect any cart-based games this is all necessary for keeping them in good working condition.
IN ADDITION...

Opening carts has become common practice to prove authenticity of the cart. While this may not seem like a big deal with a repro, it still would be a way to authenticate it as the official repro and not one of the knockoffs.

Interesting. This looks like Amazon's fourth LRG title after Cthulhu Saves Christmas (PS5), Regions of Ruin (Switch), and Thea: The Awakening (Switch).
A little more context:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunDoug/status/1395081954299686919?s=20

Opening carts has become common practice to prove authenticity of the cart.
There's also the fact that the Shantae cart in the provided picture appears to have a save-game battery. Battery-based save games will eventually need to have their batteries replaced after they run out, requiring that the cartridge be opened.

There's also the fact that the Shantae cart in the provided picture appears to have a save-game battery. Battery-based save games will eventually need to have their batteries replaced after they run out, requiring that the cartridge be opened.
Yeah Equippt covered that pretty well. Not sure about these repro games, but the original carts are pretty amazing at how long the battery lasts. Some can be as short at 10 years but many are good for 30.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1395023941463429121?s=20
I play my Genesis regularly so i'll actually pick this up. I don't care for the extra junk, but looks like there won't be a standard version (case,cart,manual). This game was a school yard myth when I was a kid. Lol!

Its also currently available on the Genesis Mini, which I'm guessing is selling for less that the Wily Wars cart by itself.  That said, I'm probably still going to pick it up being a huge MegaMan fan myself.

Is it only available through LRG or is Retro Bit selling it elsewhere too?

It was available to play on the Sega Channel back then.
Yeah. I learned of that in later on. I didn't know a single person with the internet (let alone the sega channel) when I was in elementary school (when this was a big rumor) Lol!

Its also currently available on the Genesis Mini, which I'm guessing is selling for less that the Wily Wars cart by itself. That said, I'm probably still going to pick it up being a huge MegaMan fan myself.

Is it only available through LRG or is Retro Bit selling it elsewhere too?
I was never interested in those plug & play mini's. I still play on my old consoles. I think it will be sold in multiple places. The Toaplan collection was.

I got the Sega Channel, it was like the Xbox Game Pass of its time. I don’t think it required an internet connection, I could be wrong though. I think it was just an extra cable connection like you get when you have cable tv back then.

I wonder if this means the Double Dragon & Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle will get a physical release soon too?  Makes sense to sell these single title deals before throwing the mega bundle out there.

Double Dragon Neon is a pretty big get. It's one of the more well-known titles to disappear from some digital services, making it considerably more scarce than some other titles. Having it on a Switch cartridge would be pretty nice.

Castlevania Collection is not releasing at Best Buy correct?
LRG throws around this "Best Buy may buy copies..." crap like it means something, but I notice that Shantae Half Genie Hero (Switch) wound up at Amazon as well (and is still in stock; apparently Amazon got a lot of copies), so it's not like Best Buy has an exclusive relationship. Shantae's not even a major title. I imagine any major retailer that approached LRG would be allowed to purchase wholesale from them, and I would be surprised if Castlevania didn't also show up on Amazon. Just a guess though.

LRG throws around this "Best Buy may buy copies..." crap like it means something, but I notice that Shantae Half Genie Hero (Switch) wound up at Amazon as well (and is still in stock; apparently Amazon got a lot of copies), so it's not like Best Buy has an exclusive relationship. Shantae's not even a major title. I imagine any major retailer that approached LRG would be allowed to purchase wholesale from them, and I would be surprised if Castlevania didn't also show up on Amazon. Just a guess though.
Pretty sure that wasn't Amazon selling those copies. Any third party can list on Amazon as long as they agree to Amazon's terms of service.

That's not a LRG release. That's a release by a publisher called XSeed Games and it was sold by all the major retailers. At one point, they did a reprint and LRG got some copies, but LRG was not involved in that release in any other way.

Bojay is correct. That Shantae release was broadly available from most major retailers. And it was released years before the LRG printing. Amazon does not generally carry LRG titles, not the same way Best Buy has been doing. Any LRG titles that show up on Amazon are from re-sellers. (and will likely have sizable mark-ups to their price) Best Buy gets copies from LRG because they are specifically ordering them, for the express purpose of carrying them in their physical stores. Amazon hasn't done anything like that yet, and likely won't. While some people complain about LRG's prices, the truth is that they've kept their pricing fairly competitive given what a small physical publisher they are. An on-line distributor like Amazon doesn't have any incentive to carry LRG titles, as they would effectively be competing directly with LRG's on-line store for sales. Best Buy at least has the motive of luring customers into their physical locations.

Bojay is correct. That Shantae release was broadly available from most major retailers. And it was released years before the LRG printing. Amazon does not generally carry LRG titles, not the same way Best Buy has been doing. Any LRG titles that show up on Amazon are from re-sellers. (and will likely have sizable mark-ups to their price) Best Buy gets copies from LRG because they are specifically ordering them, for the express purpose of carrying them in their physical stores. Amazon hasn't done anything like that yet, and likely won't. While some people complain about LRG's prices, the truth is that they've kept their pricing fairly competitive given what a small physical publisher they are. An on-line distributor like Amazon doesn't have any incentive to carry LRG titles, as they would effectively be competing directly with LRG's on-line store for sales. Best Buy at least has the motive of luring customers into their physical locations.
Actually, Amazon does have a deal with LRG and has carried a couple of titles and is going to be getting more titles in the exact same way that Best Buy does. It sounds like LRG won't be selling the same game at multiple retailers (i.e. Best Buy will continue to have the retail exclusive on certain LRG titles and Amazon will have an exclusive on others).

Actually, Amazon does have a deal with LRG and has carried a couple of titles and is going to be getting more titles in the exact same way that Best Buy does. It sounds like LRG won't be selling the same game at multiple retailers (i.e. Best Buy will continue to have the retail exclusive on certain LRG titles and Amazon will have an exclusive on others).
Besides Cthulu Saves Christmas (PS5), what else has LRG sold through Amazon?

For what its worth, they also said Cthulu will have a different cover if you buy from Amazon.

That new Kemco RPG sold super quick again today so if you are at all interested in it be sure to be online right at 6pm EST this evening.

Besides Cthulu Saves Christmas (PS5), what else has LRG sold through Amazon?

For what its worth, they also said Cthulu will have a different cover if you buy from Amazon.

That new Kemco RPG sold super quick again today so if you are at all interested in it be sure to be online right at 6pm EST this evening.
Regions of Ruin and Thea, both for Switch and Detroit CE for the PC. I believe it was just extra stock that LRG sold to Amazon as Amazon is selling it directly and as far as I can tell, the cover art is the same on both of the Switch games.

Regions of Ruin and Thea, both for Switch and Detroit CE for the PC. I believe it was just extra stock that LRG sold to Amazon as Amazon is selling it directly and as far as I can tell, the cover art is the same on both of the Switch games.
Again, just like Shantae HGH, you mean games that LRG only distributed for a different publisher? Of course other places got it then.

If you see a note like this: "This release is not a part of the Limited Run Games Collection and is not a numbered release. We are distributing this title on behalf of Monster Couch for the Western market. Missing out on this release will not compromise a complete Limited Run set." Then expect it to be at other places.

Again, just like Shantae HGH, you mean games that LRG only distributed for a different publisher? Of course other places got it then.

If you see a note like this: "This release is not a part of the Limited Run Games Collection and is not a numbered release. We are distributing this title on behalf of Monster Couch for the Western market. Missing out on this release will not compromise a complete Limited Run set." Then expect it to be at other places.
No, I mean per Douglas on Discord, LRG actually took their overstock copies of all three and with consent from the developer, sent them to Amazon to resell. You're correct that Detroit wasn't exclusive (although I think direct from the publisher/developer was the only other site that sold it in the US). The other two were not sold through other retailers (other than those small mom and pops that LRG sells quantities to) and the only way to get them was to buy from LRG or from Amazon once LRG sent them copies to sell.

Just played through the Complex and really enjoyed it.  Very nice game!  It may be short at ~90 minutes, but that's movie-length and frankly, shorter the better for me nowadays.  Look forward to picking up/playing Erika.

Is Double Dragon Neon not getting a PS4 release? I know LRG did Double Dragon 4 on PS4 in the past, but I don't think they've done Neon.

Is Double Dragon Neon not getting a PS4 release? I know LRG did Double Dragon 4 on PS4 in the past, but I don't think they've done Neon.
That's because Double Dragon Neon isn't on the PS4. It has only gotten thus far a PS3/Xbox360 release & PC release & the latest being a Switch release.

That's because Double Dragon Neon isn't on the PS4. It has only gotten thus far a PS3/Xbox360 release & PC release & the latest being a Switch release.
Ah, that's a very good reason then. I thought the game was newer than that for some reason.

bread's done
Back