Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Started late... Taking one for the team... not listing everything but the highlights so far...

Castlevania Advance Collection (July 28th Preorders Open)

Rise of The Triad Ludicrous Edition

Collection of shmups.. Tiger Heli / Twin Cobra

Shantae Advance - Risky Revolution (GBA version with link cable support on one cart)

... so far (~26min in)
Bless you good sir.

Shantae Advance, I had never heard of that before... looks pretty damn cool if it's a finished product.

Well that was a real...mixed bag. I do like the documentary approach with some of these releases (not Plumbers Wear Ties. Just why).

Ironically, I just finished the 'Gargoyles' show and was wondering where the remaster was. Now I'm a bit bummed because it'll take even longer to get. 'Shantae Advance' is neat, and I didn't see Gex coming.

Who the F cares about Gex other than Scott the Woz & Videogamedunkey? Fail. Also disappointed of no word about the LRG Romancelvania release I kickstarted. Thank goodness the devs gave everyone who paid at that level a digital copy.

At least there was some other good things in the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really should have had Tomba 2 there as well. Lots of stuff I'll get digital and never touch these physicals. Likely only will think of the Touhou game. Some stuff looks like shovelware garbage though (Plumbers obviously is and the slapping game are extremely short Flash games I played a while back).

Kinda bummed they're getting M2 games now.  Much prefer SLG since they're actually limited and numbered, and they provide expected ship date when they launch pre-orders.  Still haven't gotten the Aleste Collection or Hishou Same! Same! Same! yet, probably won't hold off waiting for a LRG release though.

Started late... Taking one for the team... not listing everything but the highlights so far...

Castlevania Advance Collection (July 28th Preorders Open)

Rise of The Triad Ludicrous Edition

Collection of shmups.. Tiger Heli / Twin Cobra

Shantae Advance - Risky Revolution (GBA version with link cable support on one cart)

Disney Gargoyles Remastered

Clock Tower (classic horror side scroller game being localized)

... so far (~32min in)
Castlevania Advance Collection and El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON HD Remaster are the highlights for me.

Man between Gex, Tomba, El Shadai,Clock Tower, and Castlevania Advance this was a pretty good show in my opinion.  Just wish that "last 3ds game was announced" and I do hope that lost Shantae game gets a console release as well and not just a GBA cartridge (I am sure it will down the line)

I have a soft spot for Rise of the Triad... but I'll just happily my old PC copy with a mouse and keyboard as god intended if I need a trip down memory lane (and probably a headache from the ancient 3D).  But cool to see it get some attention.

Castlevania Advance Collection... I'm not sure I learned my lesson the last time with Anniversary Collection.  I kind of want it, but I think would be happy enough with a $5 to $8 digital license and be good with that.

Shantae Advance looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I want to be buying gba carts anymore.  Hopefully someone dumps it and I can just play it on Wii or SNES Classic or something.

I might be able to be strong and resist most of this... at least the physical options.

Nothing I care about, since old stuff can be played other ways; getting OG Clocktower is neat.

Tomba being released without Tomba 2 is such an LRG move. I'll wait for the Asian import with both titles on one cart for half the price.

Dabble in meme game series, some "gotta appease the Shantae fans" throw in, and Konami keeps writing us checks and it's overall not for me.

Guess I'll have to wait until they publish Raging Byte by KEMCO™

Edit: Also, I already have El Shaddai HD at home.

El Shaddai HD at home (it already plays in 1080p...)
https://www.pricecharting.com/game/xbox-360/el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron

Edit2: The Jurassic Park games don't include the Genesis games? *fart noises*

I was pleasantly surprised by the LRG3 announcements, personally. I think Carbon Engine is carving them a unique niche. And while there are already physical copies of stuff like Tomba, Gex, and Clock Tower, having them available on modern platforms makes them more affordable and more accessible (both of which are good).

In some ways it feels like they're becoming just another small-to-mid publisher (a la Rising Star, Maximum, Sodesco) but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The limited print shtick feels like it has run its course with the market being saturated and sales falling off a cliff. Differentiating themselves through the nature of what they publish seems a savvy way to stay afloat. I just hope that they can figure out the distribution side of the house or bite the bullet and offload it to retailers.

I can try to answer some stuff a bit more candid now. If its a real NDA thing I’ll say so. But feel free to ask me some stuff and I can try.
Any details you can share on Bird King for Vita or dates when we might get info on it?

Any idea what the ~50 cancelled games were or might have been?

I know you'd acknowledged the volume/shipping issues a few times and it seemed like you earnestly wanted to improve them, was there anything in particular that you felt prevented those improvements from coming to fruition?

TOMBA!!!!!!!! Gimme gimme!

Finishing Shantae Advance is cool too. I just hope it gets modern console ports and isn't stuck on the GBA.

Is there a recap somewhere...? I'm guessing most major sites don't care about LRG but I'm not sure what sites there are that cater to smaller/more niche releases/publishers. 

Josh responded to someone about the Last 3DS game

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1679239572608151552

with Twitter being stupid, here is what he said,

"We're only putting it up for sale when EVERYTHING is in hand and ready to ship immediately (CEs + SEs). Shipping team is currently backlogged, so there's no way we're launching this until they're caught up. We're trying to fix our shipping speeds and this plays into that. :)"

I appreciate the transparency.  Probably won't see that 3DS game until Q1 2024 at the earliest IMO.

Is there a recap somewhere...? I'm guessing most major sites don't care about LRG but I'm not sure what sites there are that cater to smaller/more niche releases/publishers.
Castlevania Advance Collection
Rise of the Triad
Komajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony
Tiger Heli Toaplan Arcade Garage
The Making of Karateka
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition
El Shaddai HD Remaster
Dungeons of Aether
Shantae Advance Risky Revolution
Chicory A Colourful Tale
Odencat’s Paradise Collection
Arzette The Jewel of Faramore
Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties Definitive Edition
This Way Madness Lies
Midnight Fight Express
Colossal Cave
Another Crusade
Rose and Camellia Collection
Gargoyles Remastered
Double Shake
Clock Tower
Jurassic Park Classic Games Collection
Tomba
Gex Trilogy

I hate LRG and after Castlevania Requiem I swore I would never buy from them again!
But of course they announced Tomba and I HAVE to get it. No, I literally HAVE to get it. I am THE Tomba guy and my Tomba collection is nuts. I would have loved to have Tomba 2 as well as it is my favorite of the two, but I’m more than happy to get the first one.

It pains me so hard to have to give them more money and another chance, but I have to do this. Now to just wait and see when they release it and how many versions they release.

Josh responded to someone about the Last 3DS game

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1679239572608151552

with Twitter being stupid, here is what he said,

"We're only putting it up for sale when EVERYTHING is in hand and ready to ship immediately (CEs + SEs). Shipping team is currently backlogged, so there's no way we're launching this until they're caught up. We're trying to fix our shipping speeds and this plays into that. :)"

I appreciate the transparency. Probably won't see that 3DS game until Q1 2024 at the earliest IMO.
He said caught up. I think Q1 2024 is being optimistic.

How's life as a cat Dad?

Any idea where you might land next?

LRG book?
I actually gave that cat back pretty quick. It had mad separation anxiety and I just couldn't deal. I have never in my 35 years of living and like 50 cats due to cat moms have had such a needy cat. He was cute, but the cat breeder gave him traits that were too much for me.

Working on my next project already.

Yeah, I actually do have a book planned and had since the start. I kept pretty good records of some stuff and even some controverises we had and where I stood on some of those.

Im not sure if you can answer this or not, but what is the status of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood? I believe it was announced years ago before the pandemic but i havent heard any news. Im hoping todays presentation gives update to this game(one of the few games i still want)
The issue with Rondo was trying to get the English fan text that was well regarded approved. Last I remember they found the guy who wrote it all and were getting Konami to approve it. It was still very much in the pipeline just delayed for approvals and such.

Are the rumors true that Josh had to choose between continuing to pay your salary and keep you on as an employee after the sale to Embracer, and buying a sealed limited edition copy of Shenmue that was signed by Yu Suzuki, and chose the latter?
Yeah, it was pretty sad but I understood.

I was pleasantly surprised by the LRG3 announcements, personally. I think Carbon Engine is carving them a unique niche. And while there are already physical copies of stuff like Tomba, Gex, and Clock Tower, having them available on modern platforms makes them more affordable and more accessible (both of which are good).

In some ways it feels like they're becoming just another small-to-mid publisher (a la Rising Star, Maximum, Sodesco) but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The limited print shtick feels like it has run its course with the market being saturated and sales falling off a cliff. Differentiating themselves through the nature of what they publish seems a savvy way to stay afloat. I just hope that they can figure out the distribution side of the house or bite the bullet and offload it to retailers.

Any details you can share on Bird King for Vita or dates when we might get info on it?

Any idea what the ~50 cancelled games were or might have been?

I know you'd acknowledged the volume/shipping issues a few times and it seemed like you earnestly wanted to improve them, was there anything in particular that you felt prevented those improvements from coming to fruition?
Bird King won't be able to happen until shipping is caught up and as you just saw with the 3DS stuff, that could be awhile =/

I can definitely admit some of the issue was me because during COVID I was mandated to sign more because sales were up, and a lot of the games signed had no clear release dates due to development etc, and suddenly a lot of those were ready. This was also made worse once we brought on another biz dev to help manage relationships and they signed a bunch too. But I would argue the biggest issue was the amount of SKUs made for each game which I was on team "cut down on SKUs" but by the time that was taken seriously the damage was done. The other major issue was the plans to completely fix shipping were going to be expensive and due to being corporate now those changes weren't going to be approved easily.

Yeah, it was pretty sad but I understood.
That's absolutely insane to me. Booting a "friend" all to own another video game? That says a lot about Josh and I guess my suspicions were true that you were one of the few "good guys" working at LRG.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that you got out of there. I hope you find something else to do that you enjoy and are treated right.

That's absolutely insane to me. Booting a "friend" all to own another video game? That says a lot about Josh and I guess my suspicions were true that you were one of the few "good guys" working at LRG.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that you got out of there. I hope you find something else to do that you enjoy and are treated right.
It was a joke...

@LimitedRunDoug, a couple questions for ya:

1)  Were there any titles shown in the LRG3 presentation yesterday that were a surprise to you?  I'm guessing not, but you never know.

2)  What are the total number of 3DS games that LRG still has to release?  Is it just one title, or several?

3)  What were your favorite games from the presentation?

Thank you much!

edit: Assuming you watched the presentation.  Damn, didn't even think about that, maybe you want nothing to do with them anymore, though I imagine you have a bunch of friends still working there.

Aw, the cat circumstances make me the saddest, but hopefully they find a good home. I have two rescues who are great!

I will definitely look forward to the book.

Aw, the cat circumstances make me the saddest, but hopefully they find a good home. I have two rescues who are great!

I will definitely look forward to the book.
I have 3 rescues and they have the best personalities! Love them.

Also look forward to the book as well. Will it be published under the Press Run label? :p

Hey I admit I believed it. It's not that far out of the realm of possibilty for something so crazy to happen with LRG. I would think it's a joke too that I'm still waiting on an order from May 6th 2022 (4 Standard Edition Games) but that one is true.
I was trying to walk that fine line between making an absurd remark with using something that you could see him wanting to collect, and Doug was just being a good sport about going along with it.

I can try to answer some stuff a bit more candid now. If its a real NDA thing I’ll say so. But feel free to ask me some stuff and I can try.
Serious question, given that neither of you had any experience with warehousing or fulfillment why didn't you take anyone's advice or even bring someone on to help with operations? Ego? Money? Just an unrealistic hope it would get better on it's own?

Is it time to finally admit that you and/or Josh (ahem....I mean Boris) are behind Limited Rare Games? How many copies of Poop Slinger did you manage to squirrel away? :D/

Is it time to finally admit that you and/or Josh (ahem....I mean Boris) are behind Limited Rare Games? How many copies of Poop Slinger did you manage to squirrel away? :D/
I actually listed one of my two copies on eBay and no bites, so I'd be upset if I had a ton of others haha.

It's always about the money in the end. i Bet Doug was team Kara.
I was team I don't want drama nor any employee to feel uncomfortable. That was a rough time and made worse by some bad advice on how to handle it. Woof...

@LimitedRunDoug, a couple questions for ya:

1) Were there any titles shown in the LRG3 presentation yesterday that were a surprise to you? I'm guessing not, but you never know.

2) What are the total number of 3DS games that LRG still has to release? Is it just one title, or several?

3) What were your favorite games from the presentation?

Thank you much!

edit: Assuming you watched the presentation. Damn, didn't even think about that, maybe you want nothing to do with them anymore, though I imagine you have a bunch of friends still working there.
1. Nah

2. Just the one we keep hinting, I think?

3. Gex probably as it's just kind of wild.

Serious question, given that neither of you had any experience with warehousing or fulfillment why didn't you take anyone's advice or even bring someone on to help with operations? Ego? Money? Just an unrealistic hope it would get better on it's own?
When we started we were only doing a game like once every few months so we didn't see any need and I handled the shipment all by myself for the first few releases. Once we ramped up we actually did contract an outside company that had a "stellar" record but made so many costly mistakes we invested in our own internal service and hired people who knew how to do it, but no one we ever had on board had experience with collectables and it was always an issue trying to adjust to that. As we grew people in charge just weren't capable of handling the growth and when we'd hire experts they just had zero product knowledge and it was a nightmare trying to find that balance.

I actually listed one of my two copies on eBay and no bites, so I'd be upset if I had a ton of others haha.

I was team I don't want drama nor any employee to feel uncomfortable. That was a rough time and made worse by some bad advice on how to handle it. Woof...

1. Nah

2. Just the one we keep hinting, I think?

3. Gex probably as it's just kind of wild.

When we started we were only doing a game like once every few months so we didn't see any need and I handled the shipment all by myself for the first few releases. Once we ramped up we actually did contract an outside company that had a "stellar" record but made so many costly mistakes we invested in our own internal service and hired people who knew how to do it, but no one we ever had on board had experience with collectables and it was always an issue trying to adjust to that. As we grew people in charge just weren't capable of handling the growth and when we'd hire experts they just had zero product knowledge and it was a nightmare trying to find that balance.
I've been critical of you guys for a while but I really appreciate the honesty with that answer. Sounds like you learned some tough but valuable lessons.

I'm curious as to how this Carbon Engine works... I can believe it's easy to port 2D games over to modern consoles, but I feel like anything that's 3D would be a lot more difficult. I wanna see the end result before I think about buying anything that's ported via that. I'd also think there'd be licensing issues at hand too, right..? 

Castlevania Advance and Shantae Advance are day 1s for me though. 

I'm curious as to how this Carbon Engine works... I can believe it's easy to port 2D games over to modern consoles, but I feel like anything that's 3D would be a lot more difficult. I wanna see the end result before I think about buying anything that's ported via that. I'd also think there'd be licensing issues at hand too, right..?

Castlevania Advance and Shantae Advance are day 1s for me though.
MVG(ModernVintageGamer), who is one of the creators of the Carbon Engine, did an "interview" with RGT85 on how possible to port games like Saturn games to the Carbon Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si20HqLygXk

And from my understanding, each console is considered its Engine, so they would need to build a Saturn Engine for the Carbon Engine to run games. But MVG mentions for that to happen someone will have to pay for the development of the Engine. So it looks like right now, 3D era games might be limited. But then again we are getting GEX trilogy(so a PS1 engine seems to be already been made for this)

You can also watch why LRG went with MVG on for retro stuff and more details on the Carbon Engine here https://youtu.be/GdEke2CIgjo?t=73

Their website lists the following platforms being supported by the Carbon Engine:

• NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Genesis/Mega Drive
  • Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance
  • Game Gear
  • Master System
  • Sega CD/Mega CD (Coming soon)
  • PlayStation (Coming soon)
I'm curious how much work is needed once a system's engine is implemented. There has to be continual work on the engines, I imagine you get one game working, but then you plop another game in and it's going to have coding that the other game didn't have. If that's the case, then the first games for a system would take the most time, but each game after should take less time to get working.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, also an equally possible answer.

Castlevania Advance Collection
Rise of the Triad
Komajou Remilia Scarlet Symphony
Tiger Heli Toaplan Arcade Garage
The Making of Karateka
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition
El Shaddai HD Remaster
Dungeons of Aether
Shantae Advance Risky Revolution
Chicory A Colourful Tale
Odencat’s Paradise Collection
Arzette The Jewel of Faramore
Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties Definitive Edition
This Way Madness Lies
Midnight Fight Express
Colossal Cave
Another Crusade
Rose and Camellia Collection
Gargoyles Remastered
Double Shake
Clock Tower
Jurassic Park Classic Games Collection
Tomba
Gex Trilogy
I'm a yes or maybe for 10 of those.

Their website lists the following platforms being supported by the Carbon Engine:

• NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Genesis/Mega Drive
  • Game Gear
  • Master System
I'm curious how much work is needed once a system's engine is implemented. There has to be continual work on the engines, I imagine you get one game working, but then you plop another game in and it's going to have coding that the other game didn't have. If that's the case, then the first games for a system would take the most time, but each game after should take less time to get working.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, also an equally possible answer.</p>
Saturn games forever stuck on that system it seems. Outside of some rare (and spotty) emulation most of those games have never seen re-releases, and there’s some great games on there, especially toward the end of its life.

• NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Genesis/Mega Drive
  • Game Gear
  • Master System

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, also an equally possible answer.
I'm curious as to how or what the technology is. I remember when the Retron 5 was announced and it sounded so cool/too good to be true but then it turned out they just stole a lot of open source emulators and whatnot.

I'm curious as to how or what the technology is. I remember when the Retron 5 was announced and it sounded so cool/too good to be true but then it turned out they just stole a lot of open source emulators and whatnot.
well like i mentioned before, take a look at the video below on what the technology can do. It sounds like they make the emulators from scratch(or at least thats what they claim around the 2:35 mark) but im not 100% for sure

https://youtu.be/GdEke2CIgjo?t=73

well like i mentioned before, take a look at the video below on what the technology can do. It sounds like they make the emulators from scratch(or at least thats what they claim around the 2:35 mark) but im not 100% for sure

https://youtu.be/GdEke2CIgjo?t=73
I'm more interested learning out the technology from more independent persons, once they get their hands on the actual end product. Right now, it's all marketing- we've seen games that the engine is supposed to emulate (could be real, could be "target footage" or some shit) and the persons involved are saying it'll work so well...

I'm skeptical of it all for anything beyond 2D games, is all I'm saying.

bread's done
Back