Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
The Xbox version typically is the one most likely to be just a digital token on a disc instead of a complete game.

Hence it's less popular with collectors.
I think that's more of an issue with large cross gen games. The Xbox One version is on the disc, but has to do a full download for the Series X version. It's rare that anything ships with a blank disc with just a "key" on it. Call of Duty did that, but it's pretty much digital only at this point anywho. It's even less of an issue with limited release games like we are discussing here.

I think that's more of an issue with large cross gen games. The Xbox One version is on the disc, but has to do a full download for the Series X version. It's rare that anything ships with a blank disc with just a "key" on it. Call of Duty did that, but it's pretty much digital only at this point anywho. It's even less of an issue with limited release games like we are discussing here.
The fact is happens more prolific on one system is also why that system is the least desirable for the audience most likely to buy physical.

It's also why physical is so cheap on the Xbox systems, low demand for the product. Microsoft made their business case an antithetical one to collectors, the people now most likely to buy physical. It's a sort of doom-spiral, self-fulfilling prophesy.

Also, the Switch and PS systems sold more universally, thus larger market to begin with, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox physical lol. You don't have to justify it but what an absolute waste of money. No resale value,no brand name. You ever get in an accident and you need a reseller like me 20% of the value of someone even wants it.
That is why people buy physical games. Purely to resell...

If someone is relying on their video game collection to get them out of a financial bind, they're doing it wrong. Like, a lot wrong.

I like playing on xbox. I'm not in it for resale value. Xbox is getting more of these smaller physical releases and if people like me are not here for it, it'll end up more of a problem. Why can't you let me be happy?

I like playing on xbox. I'm not in it for resale value. Xbox is getting more of these smaller physical releases and if people like me are not here for it, it'll end up more of a problem. Why can't you let me be happy?
LMAO

im there with you. I typically get the Xbox version if the PS5 version doesnt have some kind of haptic feedback or adaptive trigger(i know some people dont like those features on the controller but it gives it a slight more immersion to the game for me).

The way i select games is as follows:

If the game has haptic feedback or adaptive trigger then PS5

otherwise, if the game is AVAILABLE for physical on Xbox then Xbox(i like the Xbox controller more than the playstation one)

otherwise PS5 version or the switch version(depends on game type). The only time the switch version is the 1st pick is if its a shmup game that has TATE mode on it. Then the switch version really shines and cant be beat

My selection is simple... Switch for everything current.  I just don't have the attention span for more than one current platform anymore.  I've owned (and for the most part still own) most everything I could get my hands on from the Atari 2600 up through the xbox... and then refined back to just Nintendo and Sony... but I dialed back with the PS4 to only specific series and moved over to just Switch.   I'm mainly into Japanese games and for the most part single player experiences (various types of RPG and Adventure games... and some platformers).  On occasion I'll enjoy an indie game (Cats Quest!) but for the most part I don't follow much on the indie side anymore.  My favorite developers mostly just put games on the Switch and others at least include it.

Whatever platform or platforms and game types you are into... cool.  To me the system wars stuff never made any sense.  When I was younger if it had games on it, I was interested.

That is why people buy physical games. Purely to resell...

If someone is relying on their video game collection to get them out of a financial bind, they're doing it wrong. Like, a lot wrong.
This is Daniel_Shadow... definitely the exception than the rule here.

For me, PS4/5 buying dried way the hell up when I started primarily playing games in bed at night. Switch all the way because of that. However, the Portal is appealing for that reason and will help with the 100+ PS4 backup and open me back up to buying more PS4/5 stuff. Xbox is strictly for playing coop with my friends from back on the east coast. I don't even look at Xbox games unless they can played coop.

And miracles do happen - Sam & Max VR finally arrived today, like 18 months late, along with A Boy and His Blob which was stuck with it. GG LRG.

Literally every Microsoft-published game that shipped from the Series X launch, “smart delivery” with Xbox One or otherwise, are incomplete on disc.

Halo infinite, Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Starfield, Diablo IV (albeit technically multi-platform but still published by Microsoft now by virtue of buyout), Forza Motorsport.

Forza Motorsport and Diablo IV being the most egregious in that internet/server connection is required even for single player. Those games are glorified drink coasters years down the road when they close the servers.

I still maintain a respectable Xbox 360 collection, but everything worth collecting comes out in other platforms or PC, where I use an Xbox controller when a game uses it.

I think the ship is sailed if you're trying to buy physical on Xbox to send messages that it's still a viable market.

The Xbox is near dead in two major markets, the resale value (I'm not a reseller) is incredibly low (only mentioned due to reflecting demand), and even US storefronts are backing out.

Whatever you like about the Xbox platform, it's going to be an all digital future to continue with. Which is what Microsoft signaled they wanted last generation, which begs the question why someone who's into physical collecting would support the company.

But as someone else said, we don't like to point out our little idiosyncrasies around here because it spoils the fun.

Fun is a microtransaction, subscription, or pre-order away these days. Maybe it'll get patched in after release...

I still maintain a respectable Xbox 360 collection, but everything worth collecting comes out in other platforms or PC, where I use an Xbox controller when a game uses it.
You know what's funny? I also have a pretty big Xbox 360 collection, but there's two specific reasons for that: it's mostly my husband's games (it's his 360 he had long before we met) and we needed to replace a handful of PS3 games with 360 versions because our PS3 kicked the bucket. I have had several Playstation consoles die on me over the years (a PS1, PS2, PS3, and a PSP with the second on its way out). Meanwhile, that big chungus 360 keeps on running, keeps playing games, and to be fair, it's my husband's second 360, since the first one he got succumbed to the Red Ring of Death, but that was right after launch and the replacement has been fine ever since. So, though I'm not an Xbox person, I can at least respect these consoles for being survivors, and it saddens me to see it abandoned by physical media, even if the all-digital future is inevitable. It's true the resale value for Xbox games is horrendous and so many games can be played elsewhere, but Xbox consoles do keep selling, meaning people still love them, and those people should be allowed to have their physical games.

My favorite Persona game...now with a $70 steelbook.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1715418111103353171

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1715418114903388312

Lol, you can now also order a skate deck for it too.

and $55 hoodie and $30 tshirt.

Are people really buying these?
I saw the merch, it's so lazy. But I hate myself for seeing that $200 edition and thinking, "Ooh, those glasses would go well with my Persona 5 Royal Joker mask!" Must resist.

Some people would say, "Nothing, why do you only complain about LRG all the time? Why even post in here? just don't buy any of their products then."

Well Timmy, that's because LRG is ruining collector's editions that could have possibly been picked up by other publishers.  There is no value added when they charge and arm and a leg for the nice edition.  Or $70 for a standard deluxe edition of a $20 digital game. 

The kinds of things we buy on Amazon for ~$40.  Before they get price reduced. 

It is profit gouging the fans, it makes additional collector releases more unlikely, as well as making other comparatively cheaper published standard editions even more likely.

I hate to say I kind of want that P4G Nitro Deck. I kind of dislike my Split Pad Pro and have been looking at these. This is kind of cool and reminds me of my 3DS pouch for the Persona Q game. Anyone have a Nitro Deck and think it's worth the money?

Some people would say, "Nothing, why do you only complain about LRG all the time? Why even post in here? just don't buy any of their products then."

Well Timmy, that's because LRG is ruining collector's editions that could have possibly been picked up by other publishers. There is no value added when they charge and arm and a leg for the nice edition. Or $70 for a standard deluxe edition of a $20 digital game.

The kinds of things we buy on Amazon for ~$40. Before they get price reduced.

It is profit gouging the fans, it makes additional collector releases more unlikely, as well as making other comparatively cheaper published standard editions even more likely.
And it's showing big gaming companies that they can just outsource their physical and limited editions to other companies instead of making them themselves. There is no reason why a company like Atlus, who is owned by fucking Sega, should be using LRG to print their physical copies. It's like when Square Enix releases the PC versions of their games exclusively to the Epic store. Yeah, that tiny, family company Square Enix really needed that Tim Sweeney money to be able to afford to port their game!

I hate to say I kind of want that P4 Nitrodeck. I kind of dislike my Split Pad Pro and have been looking at these. This is kind of cool and reminds me of my 3DS pouch for the Persona Q game. Anyone have a Nitrodeck and think it's worth the money?
There are lots of reviews for them online. The only reason Limited Run is pushing these so much is because Embracer owns the company that makes them. I watched this review yesterday. I thought it was very informative. They do have Hall Effect joysticks to my knowledge. I bought a cheap NYXI controller with hall effect sticks for my switch for $25 on amazon instead.

And it's showing big gaming companies that they can just outsource their physical and limited editions to other companies instead of making them themselves. There is no reason why a company like Atlus, who is owned by fucking Sega, should be using LRG to print their physical copies. It's like when Square Enix releases the PC versions of their games exclusively to the Epic store. Yeah, that tiny, family company Square Enix really needed that Tim Sweeney money to be able to afford to port their game!
There is a reason they allowed LRG to print these. They saw no profit to be made. They did not see enough demand for them to even release a physical in Japan. This way they get guaranteed money and no risk.

There is a reason they allowed LRG to print these. They saw no profit to be made. They did not see enough demand for them to even release a physical in Japan. This way they get guaranteed money and no risk.
I think this is the more realistic take. I dont think publishers are seeing LRG as a way to outsource physical printing because they can't, it's that they don't want to print physical at all anymore. It's just not worth the hassle. So, if they can do it with no risk and no capital investment from LRG, they'll happily take the collectors market they would have otherwise ignored.

Keep in mind that all the big Sony first party collector's editions come with a download code and not a physical disc.

I think this is the more realistic take. I dont think publishers are seeing LRG as a way to outsource physical printing because they can't, it's that they don't want to print physical at all anymore. It's just not worth the hassle. So, if they can do it with no risk and no capital investment from LRG, they'll happily take the collectors market they would have otherwise ignored.

Keep in mind that all the big Sony first party collector's editions come with a download code and not a physical disc.
Agreed. All the available data show that physical sales generally comprise only a quarter of video game sales ... and falling.

That trajectory is not changing and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point since it's resulting in more and more publishers not even releasing discs/carts which just skews the data moreso.

It'd be nice if someone other than LRG step into this to be the Kino Lorber or Shout equivalent in videogames but this industry is very different from music CDs and movies/tvs because you have distinct platform owners publishers have to go through, not to mention all the fixes, post-updates/dlc that music/film publushers don't have to deal with. Most of the time, it's Criterion and Kino Lorber that are making new content to help sell the movie release they've licensed.

And those platform holders look to be eying wiping out the player from their machines ... at that point, what are companies like LRG even making? They can keep printing for retro consoles, but that is a niche of a niche market ... and you think the physical premium is high now?

This probably explains why you're not seeing any other company much interested in throwing a big hat in the ring to be as "big" as LRG.

It's a lost cause now. Physical media will stick around for games but I'm expecting to be priced out soon, and there are so few physical games coming in these new generations that it seems the release calendar will have less and less that I'm even interested in.

The Sony example is because there's two different PS5 consoles: one with a disc drive and one without it. They're not going to include a physical copy that can't be used by the digital console owners, and they absolutely won't make two different collector's editions, so they include a code that can be used by both consoles.

As far as the larger game companies are concerned, I understand that it's lack of motivation and not inability to print physical games, but I don't accept that as a valid excuse. I can understand these companies feeling a big collector's edition could lose them money (despite the one for Persona 3 Reload, a game that's been getting mixed reception, selling pretty well), but simply releasing a standard, physical edition isn't something I believe should be a premium, especially for something as well-known and beloved as Persona. LRG serves its purpose for games that would never otherwise get physical copies, indie games from tiny companies, so seeing major publishers and developers use them to print their physical games just seems unnecessary to me. However, I understand the all-digital future is coming and most game companies are happy passing this risk onto other publishers and my aversion to it certainly reads as an old man yelling at a cloud. I just always believed the intention of LRG and similar companies was to create physical copies for games that had no chance of receiving them, not to be outsource machines for giant publishers.

The purpose of LRG is to separate rubes from their money. I say that as someone who bought the first 15-20 releases they had and luckily cut the cord after that.

The purpose of LRG is to separate rubes from their money. I say that as someone who bought the first 15-20 releases they had and luckily cut the cord after that.
For me, I'll buy an LRG I'm interested in but only through other retailers. Not preordering anything anymore. Not worth it. If I'm still interested and there is no official retail, I'll just pay a little more on ebay. I buy to play so don't care if sealed.

How are the new Atari hardware launch sales hmmm? Now that they're online-only, with no real world physical presence.

I feel like we've entered crazy land now that people are paying $229.99 for a Lego display of an Atari 2600 instead of buying one of the actual machines.

Agreed. All the available data show that physical sales generally comprise only a quarter of video game sales ... and falling.

That trajectory is not changing and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point since it's resulting in more and more publishers not even releasing discs/carts which just skews the data moreso.
Cool. Then my games are going to be worth more than ever. Same with the 4K disc collection.

But not the ones I overpaid for. Those are pointless unless you're buying them purely for display and sentimental value.

I already have P4G on Vita and Steam,... if the prices were right, I'd consider a Switch copy, too.  But $70 for a Steelbook is too rich for me.

The hoodie is the biggest disappointment.  If that thing was rip-roaring yellow, like the games cover art, I would totally be down for it at $55.  But a black generic hoodie with just the logo is lazy. 

I think a lot of people forget that many games back then could be super frustrating and have wonky hit boxes and controls. It plays like it always did. Too many people have rose tinted glasses about old games.
Inferring that LRG games get played, and not kept on a shelf in cellophane.

Tsk tsk.

I'm honest I think I've opened like 2 of my LRG games haha. One is One Way Heroics for the Vita. I don't have as many anymore as by the time I get them, I likely already got the game heavily discounted on digital and maybe played it. I don't really buy from LRG anymore, and many of those games have been sold on Ebay for now.

Cool. Then my games are going to be worth more than ever. Same with the 4K disc collection.

But not the ones I overpaid for. Those are pointless unless you're buying them purely for display and sentimental value.
In earnest, not for a second do I think any of the stuff we're buying will be worth anything significant. I expect this stuff to tank in value in the future given young folks nowadays seem to have zero interest in owning anything, nor do they even understand why that matters.

I can't believe I've had an order saying Ready to ship for like 3 months now. Night in the Woods and Return to Monkey Island for PS. This kind of thing is why I have barely bought anything from them anymore

In earnest, not for a second do I think any of the stuff we're buying will be worth anything significant. I expect this stuff to tank in value in the future given young folks nowadays seem to have zero interest in owning anything, nor do they even understand why that matters.
I'm actually curious what happens going forward... I'm sure nostalgia hits every generation but like, for the digital generation, what are they going to be nostalgic for? I agree they do not care for physical media but it's also odd that things like Vinyl, VHS and CDs are collectable.

I'm actually curious what happens going forward... I'm sure nostalgia hits every generation but like, for the digital generation, what are they going to be nostalgic for? I agree they do not care for physical media but it's also odd that things like Vinyl, VHS and CDs are collectable.
This may not apply to our conversation, but I had an old Sony Cybershot digital camera and wanted to sell it on ebay, but didn't think it was worth much. So I googled if people had interest in old digital cameras and found tons of articles about how Gen Z is all about the digital cameras Gen X and Y used to use, I guess because they're real cameras and not camera phones, and they appreciate more authentic-looking photos. And, Sony made some great cameras back in the day and mine still took great shots. I ended up selling it for around $95, with its memory cards, charger, and software.

Young people have grown up in a digital world, so they gravitate toward things that seem more authentic and real, like vinyl records, VHS tapes, and old cameras. They're basically going to become nostalgic for things they didn't even have, for lives they didn't live, without social media and on-demand digital goods, to experience a more "authentic" life. In a way, most generations pine for the "simpler times" of their parents' generation, even if they appreciate the advanced lives they currently live.

VHS tapes should be for no one outside of shelf trophies.

They're arguably the worst version of a film (unless it exists in no other format, including the high seas) and magnetic media is the most prone to degradation.

They're cool, and I'd put a few choice ones on the shelf, but if you're wanting vintage movies, either get laser disc or go DVD.

A lot of domestic/international music album sales are being singularly driven by K-pop, and if you know anything about what those publishers are doing, you know that those purchases have little/nothing to do with the CD that's in them. It's all about the photo books/photo cards and bonus materials. Fans will buy 20 copies of the same album to get their hands on photo cards, which btw, are heavily traded/sold by fans on social media marketplaces. In the last few years, those exclusive extras are now being tied to vinyl releases.

All of this is to say that the surge in album sales does not appear to have much to do at all with the actual discs. These are generations that still listen to their music digitally. It's not like you're seeing an equivalent surge in CD/vinyl players. Fans see the album as just another merchandise extension of their favorite artists.

It's just a very different narrative/situation for video games so I don't think looking at those sales mean much of anything for games. With the exception of may be Hideo Kojima, few video games are purchased as a merchandise extension of their creator. Video games are the experience themselves, versus music albums with are an extension of the singer and his/her/their live performances (which are the actual experiences their fans want to be part of).

Also, it has to be mentioned that the consumer base for music far/away exceeds that of videogames. Music is not trapped by platform holders, exclusive to consoles, don't rely on patches/updates, and don't cost $70+ at release.

Anyone order Gargoyles? I remembered liking the game in my youth, but went back and watched gameplay and forgot how mediocre and frustrating that game was. Thought about it for nostalgia, but kinda torn.

Anyone order Gargoyles? I remembered liking the game in my youth, but went back and watched gameplay and forgot how mediocre and frustrating that game was. Thought about it for nostalgia, but kinda torn.
I did, without having played the original back then. I just love anything 16-bit, the new visuals look cool to me, and the rewind feature will make any unfairness in game design bearable.

I’ve been waiting till the “last chance” with anything I order from them now but I forgot to order it yesterday. I realized it this morning when I woke up so I checked and it’s still up.

I then read a couple reviews and it seems like $15 for the digital is pushing it in terms of value, an extra $20 on top of that (well, really $25 with shipping) just seems like a lot to ask for a slightly prettier port with a rewind feature.

I’m also not entirely convinced this won’t someday get bundled up with some other game for a physical retail release.

This may not apply to our conversation, but I had an old Sony Cybershot digital camera ...
Earlier this year my youngest son asked me about digital cameras and what I had. Between myself and all the relatives I told him to also ask since most of these cameras were just in a closet or something never to be used again, he ended up with several options. He was more interested in a certain time period... like more interested in an 8 megapixel camera than a 10.1 megapixel. He also bought a vintage polaroid instant camera.

I think for the coming generations, physical games are mostly not going to be bought in great part due to the price of entry and the incompleteness of games on media. Probably the systems that will get attention would be maybe Wii as the last system with a large library and games complete on disc (plus the game prices are mostly not bad). And possibly the PS3 as I believe most games are functional from the disc without updates. But most everything older has just gotten too pricey.

People have been crying that the sky is falling and "omg physical media is dying !!" for over ten years now.  In the meantime, stuff has only gotten cooler. 

People have been crying that the sky is falling and "omg physical media is dying !!" for over ten years now. In the meantime, stuff has only gotten cooler.
I don't think the sky is falling yet, in fact right now is a pretty great time to be into physical games. But it's hard to look at console game sales as 72% being digital and 28% being physical for 2022 (and this isn't including mobile or pc gaming or it would be 90% digital) as well as visit stores that sell physical games and not see the change over the past 10 years. Plus the number of stores that have closed has grown. Even GameStop scaled back on stores. Really right now we have Best Buy, Walmart, Target, GameStop, ... and I think that's about it other than some membership driven stores that have games. Most sales of physical have moved to online shopping. Console manufacturers pushing an all digital version and a version with a physical drive is also a sign of changes and the (questionable) rumor is that Nintendo will be offering a similar digital only option next gen along side one with a cart slot.

It's hard not to see changes happening, though I don't think anyone needs to panic... just be aware of the change and all the hoops we will have to get comfortable jumping through for some games. This, most evident, when ports of well known games (like the persona games) are reduced down to just an over extended LRG instead of the publisher handling them in house as they were doing.

But the secondary market for physical seems pretty strong. So it's not like things aren't valued, but just the numbers of current active gamers buying physical new releases are shrinking which changes as those digital only gamers get old what they are going to be nostaligic for. I can imagine a lot of these gamers are going to be fine just emulating. There will always be collectors though... I won't be around to see how that is because of just getting old.

Times change. I personally will be keeping physical games around and will primarily purchase physical... but I could see next gen the numbers continuing to shrink and for some platforms they may go all digital. Much like PC is mostly digital now.

bread's done
Back