Liongames.com - Closes It's Doors & Says Farewell

Discount is good... Nowhere else (I can think of) knocks off anything from new games with their discount cards. However, for $25 I think the card is lacking. Maybe a percentage off used games as well, or maybe free basic shipping to all card members? Another incentive would be nice before I bite down on this deal :)

Is the discount card only for new games and not used ones? I'd also like to know if Tony does one of his sales, do we get an extra 10% on top of that with the card.

Pending more information, this may or may not be an awesome thing....we shall see! Either way, it's always good to see him introducing new things into his store!

[quote name='MM3_XBOX']Discount is good... Nowhere else (I can think of) knocks off anything from new games with their discount cards. [/quote]

Circuit City

I hate discount cards. Pay to receive 10% back. You only break even after $250 in purchases. And it's highly unlikely that one store is going to have the best deal for $250 worth.

[quote name='daminion']Circuit City

I hate discount cards. Pay to receive 10% back. You only break even after $250 in purchases. And it's highly unlikely that one store is going to have the best deal for $250 worth.[/QUOTE]
Circuit City's is $20 a year and is good on hardware and accessories as well.

To be fair, Tony's prices are almost always under retail and Circuit City's are almost always at or above retail.

I hate discount cards. Pay to receive 10% back. You only break even after $250 in purchases. And it's highly unlikely that one store is going to have the best deal for $250 worth.[/QUOTE]
agreed and it takes away the motivation to have competing deals. It seems like the deals have already been getting less frequent.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']agreed and it takes away the motivation to have competing deals. It seems like the deals have already been getting less frequent.[/quote]

I agree but I think he has a hard time when toys r us gives u a 25 dollar gift card and fry's sells games for 39 bucks etc..

Hi,

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 Super Mario Galaxy [CD] $49.99 1 $49.99

Shipped via UPS (estimated arrival date: 15-November-2007).

\\:D/ (I hate when they say "CD" :lol: )

I didn't know CC offered the same sort of deal. I think we both share the same opinion here though... Discount cards just aren't worth the commitment!

How about a program where if you buy 12+ games a year from liongames you receive free shipping (basic slow shipping) and $60 games for $48.

I buy a ton of game each year and if a program was available like that Id sign up.

Let's do some fuzzy math...

Okay, so the card is $25.

10% off a game will get you about $4-5 and some change, depending on platform.

If I buy about 5 games a year from Liongames, I should get my money's worth.

So basically, you are saving on shipping.

Now, if you factor in the good deals Tony usually offers on new games, you save even more.

If you don't care about waiting for your games, this is a good deal.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but being a CAG, sometimes Liongames is not always the best deal. I'd have to think about this one.

[quote name='hollowfreak']so we have to pay $250 before we save anything ... :whistle2:s ... my son was born yesterday, I on the other hand wasn't :roll:[/QUOTE]

I hope your son is better at reading than you. :lol: It says $25.00. Not $250.

[quote name='imacgod']I hope your son is better at reading than you. :lol: It says $25.00. Not $250.[/quote]
In order to make up the cost of the $25 membership card, you would need to spend $250, as 10% of $250 is amazingly $25. Save your wiseguy comments for when you actually know what you are talking about.

[quote name='imacgod']I hope your son is better at reading than you. :lol: It says $25.00. Not $250.[/quote]

Embarrassing post.

The problem with this card is that it's only good on new games. Here are some ideas for added perks which could make this worthwhile:
1. Free standard shipping
2. Some sort of trade-in bonus on used games
3. A percentage off used game purchases as well
The way I see it, if the card is going to cost more than both the EDGE card and the Circuit City card, it needs to offer a multitude of benefits. Any other ideas out there for perks that would make this card worthwhile?

I'm sorry. I purchase about 10-12 games a year but I can't say that those will always be from you. This also hurts me cause your deals want be as good now without that card. If you offered shipping with it I would be in for sure though.

wow man you just "owned" yourself,good job!

As for the card,I would have seriously considered getting it for free shipping and 5% discount on all games or something...or perhaps free shipping a points system like best buy where when we reach a certain amount of points we a get a $5 credti towards our next game purchase

Bought Sonic and the Secret Rings the other day and sent Rayman Raving Rabbids off today.

Now we play the waiting game, seeing as I didn't think to do two invoices.

We should just be thankful he's offering anything in the first place. Doesn't CC just give 15% off anyways? Someone mentioned this earlier, but let's look at a scenario. I ordered Kane & Lynch for $45 from him (a STEAL). Say I had the discount card as well? I'm looking at another $4.50 off for a total of $20 off the MSRP. You guys are wanting more, and sure, more would be great. But what we've got is already a fantastic deal to begin with. I'd pay $25 for that, no problem. And I'd much rather give him my money than any retail chain.

EDIT - Got my e-mail that Kane & Lynch shipped. W00t! Thanks a bunch!

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']We should just be thankful he's offering anything in the first place. Doesn't CC just give 15% off anyways? Someone mentioned this earlier, but let's look at a scenario. I ordered Kane & Lynch for $45 from him (a STEAL). Say I had the discount card as well? I'm looking at another $4.50 off for a total of $20 off the MSRP. You guys are wanting more, and sure, more would be great. But what we've got is already a fantastic deal to begin with. I'd pay $25 for that, no problem. And I'd much rather give him my money than any retail chain.

EDIT - Got my e-mail that Kane & Lynch shipped. W00t! Thanks a bunch![/QUOTE]

Except the game card won't save you a net of $4.50 until you spend over $250 on the site. That means buying 5 to 6 games just to break even..Not even saving money yet. Not such a good deal imho but I bet with feedback Tony will reconsider this deal

Here is my thinking with the discount card. To start with on bigger titles my starting price will probably be $55.99, except for Ea titles and they will be $2.00 more. So if someone buys the game at $55.99, then subtract 10%, you get the game for about $50.40 , which is about my cost and a 16% discount. You could always try to find better deals but in the long run a 16% continuous discount will be hard to beat. Other games that are full retail, saving 10% is pretty good also. In short for $25.00 a year, I am willing to sell most of the bigger titles to my customers at my cost. The card doesn't discount the shipping charges. I didn't make the discount work on used games ,or trade ins because I am still planning on doing a trade in specials that will stack with the 10% discount. In short if a customer can save $9.00 a game, the card will pay for itself pretty quickly. The other way I see things is when a customer buys the card, maybe I lock in $20 profit for the customer for a year. For that they buy the games at my cost. From a business standpoint if a customer doesn't want me to make $20 for a year, then I have to ask myself is this a customer that I really want to work for, and is this a customer that I really need. I service my customers at all hours of the day, and I really jump through hoops to make sure they get the best service I can provide. It makes more sense to me to service the customers better that allow me to make a few bucks here and there. In the long run I rather build a customer base that finds some value in others things besides price. The thing is my prices are for the most part very very attractive. In the first year I wanted to drive traffic to the site to see if I can build a real good used game business. I was hoping that people would think I got some great deals from liongames, so I will buy some used games also. The percentage of people that do that is very low. So the question remains is Liongames a place where it is worth it for you to buy a discount card and get games at or near my cost? I think the site and service are well worth it.

[quote name='Kingfalcon']The problem with this card is that it's only good on new games. Here are some ideas for added perks which could make this worthwhile:
1. Free standard shipping
2. Some sort of trade-in bonus on used games
3. A percentage off used game purchases as well
The way I see it, if the card is going to cost more than both the EDGE card and the Circuit City card, it needs to offer a multitude of benefits. Any other ideas out there for perks that would make this card worthwhile?[/quote]

Does the edge card work with new game purchases?

[quote name='liongames']Does the edge card work with new game purchases?[/quote]
No, it doesn't. But there is almost always a (free) 10% - 12% off coupon floating around for Best Buy.

55.99-10%=49.99+shipping for most games...

Circuit City frequently has a $10 gift card with purchase of a game 39.99 and above and also has frequent 10% off coupons for free.

Best Buy always has 10% or !2% off coupons for games for free.

Gamestop- 10% off coupon frequently available

The only time I buy games from online stores is purely based on price. Dealing with shipping costs and usually not receiving the game on release date is not worth the hassle unless the game is offered at a lower price than B&M competitors.

I think a continuity program would work much better for Liongames. This would ensure frequent purchases from customers without making them pay $25 for a discount most competitors offer for free. For example, after purchasing 10 games from lion games at full price receive credit to purchase 4 games.

[quote name='liongames']Here is my thinking with the discount card. To start with on bigger titles my starting price will probably be $55.99, except for Ea titles and they will be $2.00 more. So if someone buys the game at $55.99, then subtract 10%, you get the game for about $50.40 , which is about my cost and a 16% discount. You could always try to find better deals but in the long run a 16% continuous discount will be hard to beat. Other games that are full retail, saving 10% is pretty good also. In short for $25.00 a year, I am willing to sell most of the bigger titles to my customers at my cost. The card doesn't discount the shipping charges. I didn't make the discount work on used games ,or trade ins because I am still planning on doing a trade in specials that will stack with the 10% discount. In short if a customer can save $9.00 a game, the card will pay for itself pretty quickly. The other way I see things is when a customer buys the card, maybe I lock in $20 profit for the customer for a year. For that they buy the games at my cost. From a business standpoint if a customer doesn't want me to make $20 for a year, then I have to ask myself is this a customer that I really want to work for, and is this a customer that I really need. I service my customers at all hours of the day, and I really jump through hoops to make sure they get the best service I can provide. It makes more sense to me to service the customers better that allow me to make a few bucks here and there. In the long run I rather build a customer base that finds some value in others things besides price. The thing is my prices are for the most part very very attractive. In the first year I wanted to drive traffic to the site to see if I can build a real good used game business. I was hoping that people would think I got some great deals from liongames, so I will buy some used games also. The percentage of people that do that is very low. So the question remains is Liongames a place where it is worth it for you to buy a discount card and get games at or near my cost? I think the site and service are well worth it.[/quote]

then u have to add shipping charges which makes the game 55 dollars

[quote name='Ryukahn']In order to make up the cost of the $25 membership card, you would need to spend $250, as 10% of $250 is amazingly $25. Save your wiseguy comments for when you actually know what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

No need to be an asshole because I didn't see it that way initially. :roll:

I guess at least Tony is trying. I think I am going to pass though and I can always order the card if I go on a game buying spree. In the end if no one buys the discount card it might force him to retool things.

Tony im just wondering if Assassins Creed is going out today or friday. Im hoping to get it before thanksgiving.

Thanks!

[quote name='InuFaye']Tony im just wondering if Assassins Creed is going out today or friday. Im hoping to get it before thanksgiving.

Thanks![/quote]

AC ships on friday.

[quote name='dpadilla4']then u have to add shipping charges which makes the game 55 dollars[/quote]

Compared to $63.00 in the store after sales tax.

[quote name='artvandelay30']55.99-10%=49.99+shipping for most games...

Circuit City frequently has a $10 gift card with purchase of a game 39.99 and above and also has frequent 10% off coupons for free.

Best Buy always has 10% or !2% off coupons for games for free.

Gamestop- 10% off coupon frequently available

The only time I buy games from online stores is purely based on price. Dealing with shipping costs and usually not receiving the game on release date is not worth the hassle unless the game is offered at a lower price than B&M competitors.

I think a continuity program would work much better for Liongames. This would ensure frequent purchases from customers without making them pay $25 for a discount most competitors offer for free. For example, after purchasing 10 games from lion games at full price receive credit to purchase 4 games.[/quote]

I would lose $100 for the 14 games under this scenirio. I guess the point is yes there are coupons floating around for different stores at different times. I feel for $25.00 my customers can stop searching becusae this would assure them games at cost. It will aslo save them the hassle of going to all these different stores. It saves gas and time. With priorit yshipping most of the time my customers have their games by saturday which is pretty quick. A lot of people dont realize that time and convience is worth something also. The other point is I am trying to make some money for my services. I dont think $25.00 is a lot to ask for a year worth of services. I am sure most people wouldnt want to go to work for free. I also think you would want your employers to make profit so that they can pay you. The economy would be a very depressed place is every shopper in the world wouldn't allow anybody to profit. Anyway i think the card is a good deal for people who buy a lot of games. Is it possible you can accomplish the same thing over a course of a year without buying the card. Probably yes, but I think people could be doing better things with their time. Maybe in a course of the year you may save yourself $25.00 by not buying the card, but you can cost yourself hundreds and thousands by wasting that time.

[quote name='Decker']Hey Tony, sorry if this was covered previously, but it's a long thread : When will Mass Effect ship? Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]
monday

[quote name='Decker']Hey Tony, sorry if this was covered previously, but it's a long thread : When will Mass Effect ship? Thanks! :D[/quote]

Mass effect will ship on monday

[quote name='Decker']Hey Tony, sorry if this was covered previously, but it's a long thread : When will Mass Effect ship? Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]
It'll ship on Monday

....Sorry, couldn't resist to throw a third response in. Tony I like hte idea of the card, I might end up picking it up since I'm sure I'll order new games through you even though it might be in the latter end of next year.

This is pathetic. I understand this is cag but my god some of you are really ridiculous. Your always going to save money with liongames no matter what and you want even more off? 5 games really isnt that much and if you dont want the card dont buy it. Buy don't ask him to lose even more money because there is a 10% of coupon somewhere else.

If you dont want to save gas, and money on games then go to Best Buy or Circuit City. Be thankful that we have someone offering us good prices and excelent customer service.

10% isn't much of a deal, seriously a $60+3=63 (5% tax here) becomes $56+5=60, so in turn I save $3 for said game that means I have to buy over 8 games to break even. I'm a cheap ... well more of a brokeassgamer so I rarely buy anything at launch to begin with and saving $3 isn't going to make jump on anything. Your $40 for Halo 3 and Bioshock deals would be equal to roughly a 33% savings and that equals a $18 savings overall, now that may make someone jump.

[quote name='slickkill77']This is pathetic. I understand this is cag but my god some of you are really ridiculous. Your always going to save money with liongames no matter what and you want even more off? 5 games really isnt that much and if you dont want the card dont buy it. Buy don't ask him to lose even more money because there is a 10% of coupon somewhere else.

If you dont want to save gas, and money on games then go to Best Buy or Circuit City. Be thankful that we have someone offering us good prices and excelent customer service.[/QUOTE]

Very well said

[quote name='hollowfreak']10% isn't much of a deal, seriously a $60+3=63 (5% tax here) becomes $56+5=60, so in turn I save $3 for said game that means I have to buy over 8 games to break even. I'm a cheap ... well more of a brokeassgamer so I rarely buy anything at launch to begin with and saving $3 isn't going to make jump on anything. Your $40 for Halo 3 and Bioshock deals would be equal to roughly a 33% savings and that equals a $18 savings overall, now that may make someone jump.[/quote]

My bigger titles usually won't start at $60. The start at $56. That puts the cost at 50.40 and $55.40 after shiping. That is about an $8.00 savings. I think 10% is a big disount because most of the time there is only 15% markup if i sell a game at full retail. Once again The card will help you buy the best games at cost.

:applause: [quote name='liongames']My bigger titles usually won't start at $60. The start at $56. That puts the cost at 50.40 and $55.40 after shiping. That is about an $8.00 savings. I think 10% is a big disount because most of the time there is only 15% markup if i sell a game at full retail. Once again The card will help you buy the best games at cost.[/quote]

I have to say also for me the cheapest tax is 8.75 % going as high as 9.5 in some places around here so really its always over $65 if you buy retail at retail price. I think its an ok deal but at this time I just don't have the money to commit to buying enough games that it would be worth it for me. But its by no means a bad deal to score all your games in one place at a full discount thats always the same. If you were gamer that was short on time, and wanted to save money on a regular basis, this would be nice easy way to go. You could always always save $10 a game and more on specials.
For me I have little funds anymore so I have to wait, scrape, and buy games only if they are at a great discount at this point. This week I bought Crysis CE, COD4 PC, and Assassins Creed 360 for $40 a piece.
THey money I saved on these three games will now pay for my Uncharted and so and so on.
Thats the only way I can afford the stuff I want, so for me waiting searching and reading forums will always be the way I have to go, 43.28 is better than $55.40 thats where I'm at. However any chance I get to buy a game from Tony used or New I try and do it, he;s been truly great. It takes a lot of time and patience to get deals like I got this week and most people won't want to jump through the hoops I had to to get those games at that price.
For those people this deal should be a no brainer. Hi Tony :)

[quote name='dpadilla4']Tony, off the topic

Do you ship to apo address (germany) and how much?[/quote]

I think the apo's have USA zip codes so i think the same prices apply and I can do it. To be honest I am just not sure how the website accepts the zip code. I will need to check with my programmer. Email me when you are ready to go.

[quote name='slickkill77']This is pathetic. I understand this is cag but my god some of you are really ridiculous. Your always going to save money with liongames no matter what and you want even more off? 5 games really isnt that much and if you dont want the card dont buy it. Buy don't ask him to lose even more money because there is a 10% of coupon somewhere else.

If you dont want to save gas, and money on games then go to Best Buy or Circuit City. Be thankful that we have someone offering us good prices and excelent customer service.[/QUOTE]

Thank God someone else on here has some common sense.

Keep up the good work Tony :)

Got my Smackdown 2008 for 360 today, only took two days with first class, thanks Tony! Also got my confirmation that Mario Galaxy shipped, guess that will be here on Monday.

[quote name='InuFaye']Tony how long do you think it will take priority mail to get to VA?[/quote]

I would say 75% of the time priority is two days. However we are starting to get into the time of year where the mail can slow down a bit.

Just so I don't have to read this entire thread, does anyone know if Tony is going to still offer specials on new games like he has in the past? Usually he has some great pre order specials, and combined with this 10% card would COMPLETELY make it worth getting the card.

Thanks for answering!

bread's done
Back