Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm tempted to go up to my 24 hour Wally World in a half hour or hour and see if they have any copies out in the case. That's where I picked up GTA IV SE for PS3 on the day it released at 12:20 am.

Here's to hoping the world's largest retailer didn't get the memo and already ship them back(supposedly) like two of my local Blockbusters did.

the server is not up, so nobody can play online n e ways. plus i doubt sony would fault the consumers for obtaining an early copy (either way the consumer is supporting sony by purchasing it). they would more likely put the blame on the retailer.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']53.99 I think. Or 53.79 or some weird number.[/quote]

Actually I just called my local Costco and they said they had 8 copies in but it was in recalled status or something so they could not sell them.

OK, so I can't wait to see if people are able to snag one tomorrow. I'm SO prepared to ditch classes and drive around looking for a copy, but only if others find it (cuz I'll def. be ditching classes next week when it is guaranteed to be out :D

:lol:
So just for shits and giggles I went to Walmart after work. I recommend the tl;dr version.
Long version
Looked around the PS3 section, nothing. Instead of just leaving I walked around the electronics section for a bit (I saw a bunch of WiiFits and Mario Kart Wiis) then decided to ask.
I walk up and say...
"I'm looking for a game that was supposed to come out on the 21st..."
She gets this "I'm sorry to tell you this" face and says
"Xbox?"
"No, Playstation 3... I looked in the case but thought maybe it wasn't put on the shelf yet" (She was stocking at the time)
"It's not Fable... We had this big line for that but it wouldn't ring up so we couldn't sell it"
"No, it's Little Big Planet"
She looks on this sheet of paper on the register...
"Yep, it's supposed to be out today... I don't see it but I can call in the back to see if it's there."
She calls asking for someone to meet her at lockup. She heads in the back.
I spend the next five minutes walking around looking at the DVD displays. Some guy comes in, looks at the 360 games, asks for Fable II, the other lady says they have it but it won't ring up at any Walmart.
She comes back.
"What one did you want again?"
"Little Big Planet"
"We couldn't find the other one, but we found this one" (I have no idea what the other one was about)
She also says,
"Watch, this one probably won't ring up either..."
It rang up. I paid.
As I left she's talking to the other lady saying how upset the line of people were Fable II wouldn't ring up. And that the manufacturer wasn't letting them sell it, that there must be something wrong with the game, that it must have been recalled.
tl;dr version
After asking and a short wait while they checked the back I got a copy of LBP. The funny thing was Fable II wasn't ringing up and they thought it was recalled.

Ha, good story.
Enjoy the game.

Looks like you can get lucky and find a copy tomorrow from local store management that missed the memo.

I'll have mine tomorrowwwwwwwwwww!

[quote name='mguiddy']:lol:
So just for shits and giggles I went to Walmart after work. I recommend the tl;dr version.
Long version
Looked around the PS3 section, nothing. Instead of just leaving I walked around the electronics section for a bit (I saw a bunch of WiiFits and Mario Kart Wiis) then decided to ask.
I walk up and say...
"Xbox?"
"No, Playstation 3... I looked in the case but thought maybe it wasn't put on the shelf yet" (She was stocking at the time)
"It's not Fable... We had this big line for that but it wouldn't ring up so we couldn't sell it"
"Yep, it's supposed to be out today... I don't see it but I can call in the back to see if it's there."
I spend the next five minutes walking around looking at the DVD displays. Some guy comes in, looks at the 360 games, asks for Fable II, the other lady says they have it but it won't ring up at any Walmart.
She comes back.
"Little Big Planet"
"We couldn't find the other one, but we found this one" (I have no idea what the other one was about)
She also says,
It rang up. I paid.
As I left she's talking to the other lady saying how upset the line of people were Fable II wouldn't ring up. And that the manufacturer wasn't letting them sell it, that there must be something wrong with the game, that it must have been recalled.
tl;dr version
After asking and a short wait while they checked the back I got a copy of LBP. The funny thing was Fable II wasn't ringing up and they thought it was recalled.
[/quote]

:lol:

I should go and actually activate my new debit card by making a $60 purchase on it for LBP at my local Wal*Mart, but I think I have the actual CASH at home here. But knowing my luck, they won't have it or will actually know it's been recalled. :whistle2:#

I think I'll just wait the week.:cry:

EDIT: Just as I figured, just like with guides once they drop, idiots have flooded Ebay with auctions for the 'zomg rare' version of the game. The highest auctions with bids are $96 on the high end and $.99 on the low end. Even funnier are the people with the $175 BIN prices.

[quote name='mguiddy']:lol:
Long version
I walk up and say...
"Xbox?"
She comes back.
"Little Big Planet"
She also says,
It rang up. I paid.
tl;dr version
[/quote]

The funny thing is.. the is almost exactly how it went for me! Except someone behind me was telling the electronics dept manager that it had been recalled and he replied "I didn't read anything like that and if I dont' get a notice then I sell, if it rings up your good, if not... sorry" a few seconds later I paid for my copy and almost felt like running before they realized what had happened.

Earlier in the day I went to a local Sears and they had JUST pulled all their copies, got a tip earlier in the day that Sears was selling them early and I guess they got in trouble or something because people were still scrambling around grabbing up promos and stuff. When i got there the stickers for LBP and the lil hanger were still labeled... when I pointed it out they were promptly removed lol.. ah well.. Time to sit with the wife and play!

fuck you walmart!!! So I call this morning, and yes, they have it, yes it rings up. SCORE!!! Drive my ass out there (nearest Walmart is 20 minutes away). Apparently in the time it took me to drive out, it went to "Do Not Sell" in the system!!!:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Times like this I wish I had a glitter gun

[quote name='cheapskate01']who actually plays this game online? im so afraid to play it online risking getting banned. I heard sony bans the mac address.[/quote]

Does anyone know anything about this? The other person(it was on PS3Fanboy) said that you wouldn't be able to get online with the other copy. Basically the same thing.

These two comments barely pass my sniff test for bull****, but I wanted to check anyway. Does anyone know one way or another if this is true? Part of me thinks that it would be absurd to punish people for getting a regular copy. But then again, I think it was absurd to not release the game on time.

So HALP! BTW, if this isn't true and some of you are spreading lies, I hope you get testicular cancer...tomorrow.

They can't do anything to users, it's the store that sold it early, not the user's fault for buying it early.

Your rumor about people getting banned is completely unfounded.

Also people like to throw around that some guy who played Halo 3 early got banned until the year 9999. This story isn't quite true, the guy had modded his box, or somehow exploited his way into the private Halo 3 beta, the one given out to MS staff, friends, and family to test before the game released. That was a clear violation of the terms of agreement and thus he was banned for it. Otherwise, plenty of people, including myself, found copies early at chain stores and played them to no ill effects.

And yes, I have LBP early. The servers are not up yet last I checked. No, I was not banned for trying to connect. My PSN status lists me as playing LBP.

Man! I scored! Cannot believe it! First I went to Kmart and was there for 30 minutes because it would not ring up. Manager came out, everyone... Long story short, the computer said there was a recall. Then I went to Target. They had the game and when the guy scanned it, it came up with a November 7th release date. I pointed to the ad which stated the game was supposed to come out today at 8 a.m. at their store. Long story short... The person manually put a $59.99 price on it with no item number or tag or anything and rung me up. I could not believe it.

And anybody with these copies should not worry. Look at what Media Molecule said-
http://www.mediamolecule.com/2008/10/20/new-release-dates/

"Some of you have asked about pre-orders and early copies. Everything should remain as before - you will get your exclusive pre-order content, we’ll go on patching the game, and everything will work as if none of this had ever happened! I think in the end, everyone will be happy."

[quote name='munch']I picked it up this morning at Wal Mart. It took about 15 minutes, but they finally sold it to me.[/quote]
When did you get a PS3?

Just picked it up at Blockbuster. The first one I went to where I have a game rental pass and couldn't find it on the shelf so I just grabbed Fable 2. Asked and the manager working said it's recalled he received an email this morning for them to be sent back. Also he said that when you type it in the computer says you can't check it out. So I struck out....

Decided to try the Blockbuster about 10 minutes away and jackpot there were 2 copies on the shelf. So I grab one and head to the register to try my luck knowing the computer says not to check it out.... Recognized the guy working and started making small talk and asking about preorders. He didn't catch the note on the screen and I got me some LBP! Haha just rented it though, $8.99 in cheaply attained store credit.

Here's what shows up when they scan it:

and

I'm pretty sure I'm selling my extra UK copy on ebay too.
I actually didn't think they'd go up that much in value.

Of course, I originally paid $105 for it myself. So I just want my moniez back and keep the US one I got today.

[quote name='Se7en69']"Some of you have asked about pre-orders and early copies. Everything should remain as before - you will get your exclusive pre-order content, we’ll go on patching the game, and everything will work as if none of this had ever happened! I think in the end, everyone will be happy."[/quote]
Ehhh, what exclusive pre-order content? Are they talking about the stuff that was supposed to be available on week one only?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Ehhh, what exclusive pre-order content? Are they talking about the stuff that was supposed to be available on week one only?[/quote]
Pretty sure they're talking about the costume codes for various characters.

Just played for about an hour and it's pretty fun and very charming you can't help but to smile. It won't steal much time away from Fallout 3, Gears 2 or CoD5 but it'll be fun to play these next 2 weeks on my rental and i'll check it out again once all the user created stuff starts piling up. :)

Got this at walmart about 1 hour ago. They had about 30 copies. I went to ring it up "DO NOT SELL" he grabs the assistant store manager and he says "Oh well lets take a look" and he scan the game and it says "released Oct 20th" and he thinks so next up the store manager just happens to walk by and she is looking now also. I think "Dammit i'm screwed :(" and she just comes up and says "Oh just ring out another game thats $60 bucks and that will off set the inventory"

Funny thing was as I was waiting there an employee from Best Buy walks up and I look at him and he smirks and I tell him "Keep cool :)" and he just smiles and says "you do all the talking"

This game is fucking amazing

praise Allah.

just scored a copy at toysrus. pipeline rd hurst tx. The guy rung it up and it said do not sell till 10/21 and had to get a manager to override. He said thats been happening all day. While i was there he got like 2 calls from other stores asking if they had any left.

[quote name='mykee98']just scored a copy at toysrus. pipeline rd hurst tx. The guy rung it up and it said do not sell till 10/21 and had to get a manager to override. He said thats been happening all day. While i was there he got like 2 calls from other stores asking if they had any left.[/quote]
Oh snap, that's right next to me. (work in bedford)
Any left?

[quote name='mykee98']just scored a copy at toysrus.[/quote]

Called my TRU. The girl said that they just got a notification not to sell theirs until the 25th. So for those of us that can't find one now that all of the stores are getting the word, Saturday might be the next best thing.

I would go out to grab an early copy since I do have a couple places in the area, but I'm low on funds and need to be cheap! $50 from Amazon will have to do :/
(I had a $10 off code for this which has a promo for another $10 off, couldn't resist, even if I have to wait a little longer)

[quote name='dallow']Oh snap, that's right next to me. (work in bedford)
Any left?[/quote]

they had a small stack of 5 or 6 when i left about 1 pm.

I found a blockbuster that has it and is holding a copy for me. I won't be able to pick it up for another 4 hours though, so I'm hoping whoever works the night shift doesn't do a 180 on me. Especially as it's a half hour busride away.

[quote name='cartman58']Called my TRU. The girl said that they just got a notification not to sell theirs until the 25th. So for those of us that can't find one now that all of the stores are getting the word, Saturday might be the next best thing.[/quote]

interesting. I'll be calling them on saturday then.

Ugh, I hate you all with your fucking corrupted store. Like its so easy to walk in an get one, all the stores that said they are selling it Oct 21st, all denied me today saying all their stock was recalled.

You guys are so annoying

The blockbusters that told me they would have it recalled it. Damnit, and I have a bunch of free credit there, so I don't want to buy it anywhere else. I can wait if it means a free copy. So I picked up Rock Band 2 game only instead.

I got as close as humanly possible to owning Little Big Planet without actually owning it. In fact, I may have even owned it for approx one second.

I called a Blockbuster that had it for rent and sale, so I had them hold a copy for me. The place was rather far away, so I had to take a bus for 30+ min to get there (as well as pay a couple bucks bus fair). Once there, the girl rang me up and as I was entering my PIN, the manager walked by and saw what was going on and put an end to it. I tried to enter my PIN and hit accept as fast as I could before he could finish his sentence to the girl, in hopes that once sold to me it would be too late for them to take it back. It didn't work. I'm not sure if it charged me or not, though. I think it did, but then the manager voided the sale (it's not on my online statement at least). Soooo friggin' close...

The good news is that the manager issued me a free game rental, which was nice. It made me feel kind of bad for getting frustrated with him earlier (if he had looked the other way for just a few extra seconds I would have been home free). There was nothing I wanted to rent there (especially as that place was so far away and they were out of Fable 2), but he said it could be redeemed elsewhere. I have no proof of my credit, so I hope I actually got it.

I really hate it when release dates get broken like this, because it gets my hopes up and makes me feel unlucky if I'm not able to get a particular game when so many others can. Or if I do get it, I'll feel guilty, like I shouldn't have it and could possibly get some poor clerk in trouble. The whole situation creates so much more anxiety than just having to wait for a particular known date.

I really hope the delay is only a week like they said. Because this game is amazing! I did not even try to get into the beta because I wanted to wait for the real game when it came out. I was lucky enough to find one of those early copies and have been playing like mad.

It is addictive like very few games are. Once you start and pass a level, and you notice there are a few items you missed, you want to go back and try to get them. And sometimes you need other tools/stickers before you are able to do that. Instead of being bored because you are retrying a level, you try to figure out other ways to get more points and such. "Maybe there is something hidden behind that person." Or maybe I can try to reach this place forward or backwards." I was taking a wait and see approach with this game. I was hoping it turned out good, but never thought it would live up to the hype. And it absolutely has with me.

In fact, I also bought Fable 2 and have not even turned it on!

I stayed away from the beta because I just wanted to see the game when it was ready in its full glory. I really didnt expect to love this game but now that i have played it for a couple of hours I am happy that I picked it up. It is defintely a very good and I must say cute platformer that will have many a sequel and will be sonys' flagship title for years to come. Nice Job SCEA.

bread's done
Back