Little King's Story - Build a kingdom, raise an army, take over the world! - OUT NOW!

[quote name='Draekon']You can marry citizens? Really? I've seen the hearts but never approached them.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I've seen hearts above them, or a message in my ticker "x & x have fallen in love", but I usually miss them. I just follow asgaga's method by throwing everyone in the church and someone ends up getting married.

It works pretty well without pointer controls, I mean I never had issues with Pikmin 1 or 2, but it really boils down to aiming is somewhat difficult, especially in the heat of the battle. This game really would have benefited by allowing more precise aiming, or actually using the Wiimote pointer.

Gameplay wise, everything is fine, I just feel like some of the controls could have used some slight tweaking.

As if the Sterile Undies, Health Undies and Striped Undies weren't enough, the game felt the need to go and give me a Dude Thong on top of all that.

Ok, citizens *can* permanently die. The chance isn't high, but it definitely can happen. It basically happens when a citizen dies in battle and doesn't wash up on shore within the next couple of days and then you'll see members from that house wearing funeral clothing and will talk about a funeral being held in their name.

[quote name='Draekon']Ok, citizens *can* permanently die. The chance isn't high, but it definitely can happen. It basically happens when a citizen dies in battle and doesn't wash up on shore within the next couple of days and then you'll see members from that house wearing funeral clothing and will talk about a funeral being held in their name.[/QUOTE]

I still think that's only the case when you're not in a boss battle (i.e. one of the 7 kings). You can lose citizens outside on any other regular quest, although most of the time you do tend to have them wash up on shore the next day. Anyone I lose to a boss always just "shows up" the next day with all of their equipment/jobs intact with no washing up on the beach, so I assume this is the case unless someone finds out otherwise.

I was able to beat
the second king, Duvroc
last night after some effort. If there's anything to refute that this game isn't childish, this boss would be the perfect example.

Also got the evade formation which makes it so much simpler to claim stairs. I'm not sure why they just didn't include the formations from the start...

Just a reminder to people to use the save function. I just died on my way to one of the later half of the games bosses and my king was getting hit while I was in a defensive formation. Luckily I saved just before I went, but lately I've only saved about once an hour I'd guess.

This arrived from Amazon today (technically yesterday :p), via super saver shipping. Didn't have a chance to play it, but I'll definitely crack it open in the morning. Very exciting to have something new to play on the Wii until Muramasa comes out.

Played for two game days. Definitely neat, but I feel like the aiming is way too imprecise. When there's an enemy and some inanimate objects around the enemy, it's almost impossible to target the enemy. I have to retreat and wait for the enemy to get away from the objects to target him. A little inconvenient.

Wow this game is fun! My kingdom is expanding like crazy. It's a bit overwhelming but I think I've learned where everything is at. Right now I'm too caught up in exploring and side quests to even go to the second boss. But even the mini-bosses are giving me trouble so the practice helps.

Is there an easier way to collect your people? I have the podium thing set up, but when I try to gather different types of workers the others disappear. How do I get it to where I can grab a couple from each category?

You should be able to get a podium upgrade not too long after defeating the Onii King. I don't remember if it's a specific quest that unlocks it, but I know I was able to buy the second podium upgrade sometime after I beat the first king.

Just wait until you get to the third King, Shiskebaboo. I was confused when starting out, but they throw such a curve-ball battle here that is an absolute blast.

Yoshio Kimura (the producer) has already expressed interest in a sequel; provided Little King's Story does well. Refinement of controls would be one thing I would hope they take a look into. It works for the most part, but it does get difficult to aim sometimes. I would like to see better citizen management, i.e. call back one group without calling back your whole brigade, it would make it better to multitask.

Thanks. You know, I did just buy the second podium but I forgot to test it out :dunce: I only really needed my archers for that mini boss that runs around the tree trunk.

Damn. Finally got a chance to sit down w/ my kids and start playing and the damn thing locks up during the 'Little King's Story' title splash during the "Memories" opening... Amazon's already got a replacement on the way, but it won't get here til Monday, so no LKS this weekend. :(

doesnt look like most retail store are carrying this game. You better hope amazon stocked a lot of copies or else this game is going to be hard to find.

Played a little more today- defeated the cow and frog and explored the mushroom area. I guess the next step is building a bridge across the river.

I really wish you could easily categorize your citizens by their health points, or their health points would show when their name does. I want my battling citizens to have high health and my carpenters to have low health since they don't need it, but that's difficult to organize.

What do those treasure seekers do besides open the coin purse? I thought the description said they can find secret treasure spots. But what what am I looking for? Will he jump up and down or will a lightbulb appear over his head or something?

I really hate those guys that shoot those magic arrows that can even go through mountains. Why do they always have to be surrounded by 10 smaller enemies!? And then they regenerate when you leave the area :bomb:

Merchants I think can also find "holes" where "treasure" (Farmers make the hole open, but don't find them I believe) is found. I know I found a few Treasure holes myself, but I have both a merchant and a farmer in my group at all times. However, they do give you something else, but I think it's only initiated by not having them in your royal guard and not talking to them. Over time they should find five "treasures" and will give them to you when you talk to them at some point or another. I only heard about it but haven't tried it myself since I haven't bought more than one merchant yet.

As for the enemies that shoot out three arrows that ignore terrain aren't that bad. Just stay far enough back in attack formation and when the 'steam' animation appears that shows they're about to attack, bring all your guys back. Then as soon as you see him fire the three arrows, move your king and then reposition your direction to move your army behind you. It's pretty easy to dodge once you get the hang of it.

You're right. I walked over a spot that scarecrows were pointing at and my merchant got a lightbulb over his head and a dig spot appeared. Though I could have sworn my animal hunter alerted me to a scarecrow dig spot earlier. Hopefully the merchant will find more, less obvious spots in the future. At least the chefs were a good investment. I wouldn't go into the sunflower area without them.

I had to go through Sunflower Valley a couple of times without chefs, let me tell you, it was hell. I was so happy when I found out the chefs would make it so much easier.

Draekon, have you made it up to the Blue Dragon quest yet? I'm having some difficulty beating it without losing half of my followers. Any tips?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Draekon, have you made it up to the Blue Dragon quest yet? I'm having some difficulty beating it without losing half of my followers. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

I think I lost half towards the end of that due to
its instant kill move that blew everyone off screen
. I more or less beat it with about half of my followers if I remember right.

EDIT: Other than that, all I can say is just the normal tactic of figuring out its moves and then use the send/retreat trick.

EDIT 2: Finished up the game and clocked in around 28 hours. Played it way too much in a short amount of time, but the game was great. I don't see a young child being able to beat this game and there's a lot of collection type stuff for those who are into that. The final battle itself felt somewhat epic, which was nice. Mostly due to the music they choose and the way that the game presents itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat the Onii king last night, and then took care of the mushroom guardian. All of a sudden this game has really opened up. I'm probably going to have to spend some time just farming for money and getting things in order before I progress.

[quote name='Draekon']I think I lost half towards the end of that due to
its instant kill move that blew everyone off screen
. I more or less beat it with about half of my followers if I remember right.[/QUOTE]

I was able to finally beat him with no losses with a team of just Grunts, Hardened Soldiers and Animal Hunters. You just have to be really careful once he is less than 25% health.

[quote name='Rocko']Beat the Onii king last night, and then took care of the mushroom guardian. All of a sudden this game has really opened up. I'm probably going to have to spend some time just farming for money and getting things in order before I progress.[/QUOTE]

The game is somewhat restrictive before the first king, but really opens up after that. I'm impressed with how non-linear they have made it, since you can explore at your leisure or beat certain kings in a different order (to a certain extent). I had accidentally stumbled upon TV Dinnah earlier than I would have liked, but still was able to defeat him without too many issues.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I was able to finally beat him with no losses with a team of just Grunts, Hardened Soldiers and Animal Hunters. You just have to be really careful once he is less than 25% health.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and for the most part I didn't have trouble through the game outside of a few insta-kill moves or one enemy in particular that stripped the classes from anyone it managed to attack successfully.

I just don't really find it worth it to reload every time people die as the chance of them coming back is pretty high. Plus I ended the game with over 120 citizens from houses alone. That doesn't count the special citizens either, which you only get one of each except for children which can in turn become adults and probably even produce more children.

Only once you build a school. It's good to have at least one kid around though, since they're the only citizen that can fetch items out of trees.

Yeah, I knew children did that, but I stopped trying to marry my citizens once I learned that's all kids did since I knew I wouldn't need 18 tree climbers running around. Guess I should make a few more. :lol:

[quote name='Draekon']
I just don't really find it worth it to reload every time people die as the chance of them coming back is pretty high. [/QUOTE]
I get attached to my people though.

Next up for me is the Onii king, but I need to go find one more piece of loot to be able to afford my upgrade podium.

this game is so good, totally unexpected, like a piksim crossing.
the only frustrating things are accidentally tossing the wrong dude into the wrong place- say a hunter into the carpenter house
two or three more different zoom in/out options would be handy
and building mixed use teams isn't as smooth as it could have been
but the animation for the cutscenes is really nice
I'm really enjoying this, and I hope they get another game in this series and smooth out some of the (small) annoyances.

Got my package in from Amazon today, and it came with the Onii figurine.

However, when I tried to start the game from the Channel Menu, my Wii's disc drive stuttered four times, then a "Disc Read Error" screen came up. No dice, even after cleaning the disc. If the error screen didn't appear in the Wii menu, then it would appear as soon as I pressed "Game Start" I immediately tried a few other games, like Deadly Creatures, SSBB, and the MadWorld that also came in my Amazon order, and they worked just fine. Therefore, I can only conclude that the disc that I was sent was defective. Going through the Amazon refund process, and I'll probably pick it up at a local store soon.

"An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I had a problem at first with booting up the game (it would hang at the opening movie). I went and used the Lens Cleaning kit; afterwards it runs great.

My Wii's a launch Wii, but it runs SSBB fine.

[quote name='botticus']I get attached to my people though.[/QUOTE]

Me too. This is one aspect that isn't anything like Pikmin. In Pikmin, I felt little remorse over sending a horde of Pikmin only to die a quick death. That was quickly averted by popping another pill into the respective onion. With Little King's Story, each character has a name (and sometimes a family) so you tend to get a little more attached to certain characters.

I had my first character (Joshua) finally die today and not wash up on the beach, and it was very sad. People were decked out in funeral garb and were crying. I feel like I let them down.

As I get further and further in the game, I'm just so impressed with the music selection that was done. I about choked when the intro to Grieg's Concerto in A minor played in one section, since it was just so perfect. I really hope they release an OST, I would definitely buy it.

I just got my copy in from Amazon today, and I've enjoyed it so far. I've made it up to the frog boss, who is a pain. I love the music in the game, and the watercolor-y look of the world.

[quote name='vherub']this game is so good, totally unexpected, like a piksim crossing.
the only frustrating things are accidentally tossing the wrong dude into the wrong place- say a hunter into the carpenter house
two or three more different zoom in/out options would be handy
and building mixed use teams isn't as smooth as it could have been
but the animation for the cutscenes is really nice
I'm really enjoying this, and I hope they get another game in this series and smooth out some of the (small) annoyances.[/QUOTE]
Once you have the second podium, it's much much smoother.

Just got my lumberjacks, so it's soon on to the Onii king.

Just beat the game doing while most of the side quests, clocking in at 30:21. The last boss is a pain in the ass, if not only due to the amount of extreme hit and run tactics that have to be used.

Fantastic game from start to finish, a few areas could have used a bit more polish, but it doesn't diminish too much how good the game is. This definitely ranks in my top 3 Wii titles and is by far my favorite game of the year.

I just got this game tonight, and put in about 2 hours so far... this game is amazing. Like, I expected it to be good, but not this good. If I had known how much this was going to be like Pikmin(and actually so far I would say it's better than Pikmin in some ways) I would've had this game preordered months ago.

If I had any complaint so far, it's that the controls just don't feel as good as the controls for Pikmin. This is one game where the pointer controls would've been really appreciated. But I can get over the controls without any problem if the rest of the game is as good as the first two hours have been.

The director, Yoshiro Kimura, says that they're planning a sequel, like a "Super Little King's Story" as he calls it. They're currently looking for development partners.
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/29/kimura-san-you-just-said-super-little-kings-story/

“We are planning to make a sequel to Little King’s Story, like Super Little King’s Story, but we’re still in the process idea phase,” Yoshiro Kimura, Producer of Little King’s Story told Siliconera.

“Right now, we’re trying to get funding and trying to find new partners meaning that Little King’s Story wasn’t developed by one development company, it was developed by different people.” Cing, the studio behind Hotel Dusk, Town Factory, and Marvelous collaborated to make Little King’s Story.

Son of a bitch. I go away for two months, and suddenly, I've got a whole bunch of Wii shit to buy. God dammit. A new game costs me, like, 540 trees.

I am getting really sick of this game. I explore all over and find a bunch of dead ends. I finally find a sunflower area, but it's pretty much impossible to traverse it since my people keep falling off of ledges. Then I get a letter than some Onii is in the turnip forest. Oh, good, I can finally get something done. But apparently the game has a different definition of turnip forest than I do, because there's isn't shit in the forest with all of the fuckin' turnips.

You need to either take the lower path in the sunflower patch or learn the evade formation for the upper path. Should help with the whole falling off thing and I kindof know what you mean by it. You can prevent it by moving the direction your king is facing all the time to prevent it.

As for the turnip forest... you can always check the map and hit Z (I think) to find out where it specifically is asking for it. I only remember one real turnip forest for a guardian and you needed to build a bridge from the royal district to reach it.

Thanks, I'll try that for the Sunflower area. Did I see someone mention I should get chefs for that?

As for the turnip forest, that's the one I'm in.

You don't need chefs, but it makes it a bit easier if you use them appropriately. First time I went through I didn't have any.

bread's done
Back