Little King's Story - Build a kingdom, raise an army, take over the world! - OUT NOW!

So does anyone know how to get the Merchant items? I have six merchants and received three of their items, so far. I'm not entirely sure how to get the last two. Do I have to actually train the other merchants by having them in my party when I go out and explore or what? Any help would be appreciated 'cause I really want those last two equips.

By the way... This game is fucking amazing. 19 hours in and only beat three bosses.

I don't think the merchant items have any relation to the number of merchants that you actually had. I had them come to me it seems like as I progressed through the game, and only had trained one merchant up to the last merchant item.

Yeah, I have no clue how to get the other equips. I just got the 3rd item by making a new merchant from one of my Carefree Adults, taxed a few houses in one of my new areas (
Glamour Town
), and talked to the new guy immediately after I went back to my castle. Literally took five minutes. I'm not even sure how that worked.

just beat the game

So the princess you choose dies? I choose verde because all the rest were to weird, but couldn't believe that you never get to save her from the rat king :(. Still great game

thinking of trying it on tyrant mode to get the new ending, but starting with only 1hp is hard...

Thanks for the tips, Draekon. I didn't realize that the evade formation made your guard follow the path you walked- I can finally get up stairs easily!

Okay, just so we're on the right track... Are you guys talking about the merchant that comes to visit you in your castle or your Savvy Merchants? I'm talking about the Savvy Merchants. Talking to them sometimes will net you equips. Five in total. The last one being one of the legendary weapons.

I'm not worried about the merchant that visits while you're in the castle. I've paid for all the upgrades of his, so far.

Whoops. I'm talking about the merchant that visits the castle. Didn't know talking to your personal merchants yielded anything. Thanks. :]

Stumbled around for an hour looking for the entrance to the Sunshine Plains in vain, and in the meantime, I lost my first citizen to a permanent death - stupid turnips. I will hope to attend the funeral tonight and then carry on after someone told me how to get to where I need to be.

Sorry about that, Rocko. I should've been more clear about which merchants I was talking about, haha.

On that note, I talked to one of my merchants and didn't net an item. I talked to him IMMEDIATELY again after and he gave me the 4th merchant item. Now all I need is that last one and I won't have to deal with these guys no more. I'm still not sure what the damn requirements are.

Anyone know how to set the damn alarm clock to AM? I set it to 6, 7, 8, 9, every time it woke me up in the PM. I want to get up in the fucking morning, damnit.

The alarm clock runs on a 12-hour schedule. So you'll wake up whenever the next X o'clock is. So, if you set the clock to 7 and it's past 7 AM when you go to sleep, you'll wake up at 7 PM that night. Works vice-versa (sleep after 7 PM, wake up at 7 AM).

Hopefully that makes sense.

My Amazon refund went through, and I had a GS gift card, so I used it to buy another copy of Little King's Story (Along with Wii Sports Resort). As expected, this copy worked fine.

I only played for a little bit (Up to Cow Bones), but it was enough to get used to the controls and the basic strategies.

i'm only 10-12 days in. i've beaten 2 or 3 "fights." and i'm really enjoying this game. and i don't ordinarily like this kind of game. i did lose a ton of people to the boss i'm fighting now. i haven't figured out exactly how important these people are just yet.

i had saved the "night" before, so i'll go back and try the fight again and see if i can lose less people.

so far i'm enjoying the exploration, people aspects of this game more then the fighting. but, so long as they keep a good balance i'll be happy. but that's being picky. i'm enjoying this game more then any other in a long long time.

i am absolutely loving this game. i'm really taking my time and going through each section completely. the game does so many things right. i love how many things there are to learn, but that it doesn't overwhelm you with tutorials or people teaching you stuff. you just figure it out, or you go back to liam and he teaches you what you need to know.

it also does a great job of giving you the right amount of tasks to do. i always feel like i have a choice between a few things but not an overwhelming amount of things to do. everytime i'm home, i just want to play this game.

i do like the pikmin aspect of this game. but i'm rarely so drawn in to the story and the people. and this game is so artistically good. i just beat the tall boss with the long beard. and i couldn't have been more pleased with the cut scene that followed. the boss's little jumps. reading backwards the loser is the winner. it's all so good.

for 1 player games, i've only enjoyed galaxy more this generation.
i can't get over how picky some of the gaming sites have been with this game. even the flaws, i think, add to the charm of the game.

Has anyone beat the game in tyrant mode yet? I heard the ending was slightly expanded, but I was wondering if it was worth it to even try. I know the final boss game me some difficulty on normal, so I would hate to see how long it would take on tyrant.

I believe the king only has one health on Tyant Mode, so I'll probably pass on attempting it anytime soon. Well that and my game is out on loan currently.

Tyrant mode isn't worth it, from what I've read. The ending is pretty much the exact same ending, but with just one extra screen saying, "Congratulations!", or something along those lines.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Has anyone beat the game in tyrant mode yet? I heard the ending was slightly expanded, but I was wondering if it was worth it to even try. I know the final boss game me some difficulty on normal, so I would hate to see how long it would take on tyrant.[/QUOTE]
Tyrant mode is my goal for when I buy this game. I think it makes all of your people have 1 health + whatever items you equip to them. Sounds really difficult.

The final boss wasn't too bad. My first time through I lost nearly everyone. But after I got some better items and tried it again, I only lost one guy on the way there and one during the actual fight.

I'm awful at this game, but it's so good that I'm going to keep after it. I can't imagine I'll be trying Tyrant mode once I beat this, but maybe if I start getting better at figuring out a strategy for the boss fights. Against Duvroc it took me 4 tries to beat him, and the time that I did I lost almost everyone I had with me(luckily it seems that anyone who dies during a boss fight won't actually permanently die).

I'm just under 9 hours now, and have taken down the first two kings(and working on the third now). I've probably put in at least another 3-4 hours or so on top of that just trying to do too much at one time and then dieing though.

i've finally beaten it. i really didn't like the end boss at all. but i loved everything up to that point.
my complaints on it
it was very dark, and the whole game was so beautiful.
all of my specialized people were useless. i eventually went back and switched to all hardened soldiers. i may have had a couple hunters, but not very many. and that seemed to work best.
and i thought the whole thing about the whole world being a small box was just a little lame. it's simply been done. while the rest of the story from the game was so good and unique.

outside of the end boss, i thought the biggest flaw to the game was that you couldn't leave a boss fight. there were a couple times when i was out exploring and i've accidentally come across a boss. and then i either loose all my progress since my last save or i have to fight with the group i've got. but this game is all about being strategic with your group, i should be able to leave the fight, get a new group, save, and go back.

but still, i loved everything else about this game. it's the most artistic game i've played in a long long while. i loved the story and all of the characters. and the fighting and specialized fighters was really good. i loved figuring out the best way to attack the bad guys and taking them down.

i loved the god aspect, the aliens, the wives, the kingdoms. i always looked forward to seeing what would come next. and exploring the world was very rewarding. every area had so much to be found.

this is the best game i've played all year.
it's a shame it had to end on a slightly bad note.

do the citizens do anything in the town? Like if I have a lot of farmers in town will they grow wheat or something that I can chop down and get items from? I have a lot of farmers but if classes don't do anything within the kingdom I guess I should turn some of them into soldiers.

Also, is there any way to tell which couples are already married? I noticed they live together, but is there any quick list I can check to see who's married?

The citizens "do" stuff, but nothing that will impact you at all. Carpenters will occasionally be sitting on a house banging away with their mallet, farmers will be in their fields, but they don't change the landscape.

As far as marriage, I don't think you can see who's already married. It wouldn't be so bad except that if you throw two married people in the church, they'll get married again. :p

I'm slowly making my way to the Worrywort Kingdom, planning to wrap up that aspect tonight.

I'm up to the last boss now... that guy is pretty tough. I'm just happy to have a truly evil final boss, the game really makes you want to kill him.

This game has been amazing, easily one of the best of the year. I'll wait until the year's over to judge, but right now this is easily the Wii's game of the year.

I just received LKS from amazon and my disk wont work. Anyone else have a bad disk? I googled the problem and it seems the bad disks are coming from amazon. All my other Wii disks work just fine.

Hmmm... My Amazon shipment just came today as well. I wasn't planning on playing it any time soon but maybe I should check it just to be sure.

[quote name='Wanderlai']I just received LKS from amazon and my disk wont work. Anyone else have a bad disk? I googled the problem and it seems the bad disks are coming from amazon. All my other Wii disks work just fine.[/QUOTE]
A few people on GAF had the problem. Some went ahead and got replacements from Amazon, at least one or two put it in the next day and it worked fine.

Since I'm here: only one kingdom left to conquer, then whatever the endgame throws at me. With any luck I can squeeze in enough time to wrap it up this weekend.

My disc from Amazon works just fine. There is one quirk with it though: the disc reader in my Wii tends to make a lot of noise whenever I'm playing LKS, especially when I'm going through the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='botticus']Since I'm here: only one kingdom left to conquer, then whatever the endgame throws at me. With any luck I can squeeze in enough time to wrap it up this weekend.[/QUOTE]

The last kingdom wasn't too bad, I think I died maybe once or twice. For the final boss/battle be sure you bring a lot of hardened soldiers, and a couple of farmers. This was my least favorite battle of the game, and by far the most difficult so you want to be prepared.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']The last kingdom wasn't too bad, I think I died maybe once or twice. For the final boss/battle be sure you bring a lot of hardened soldiers, and a couple of farmers. This was my least favorite battle of the game, and by far the most difficult so you want to be prepared.[/QUOTE]

I thought the last kingdom was pretty easy actually. I even made the mistake of accepting a request that required me to kill something in the same exact area as the boss there, which was quite odd fighting that and the boss at the same time.

I guess it all depends on how quickly you figure out the patterns and/or if your units are fairly buffed up from equipment.

[quote name='Draekon']I thought the last kingdom was pretty easy actually. I even made the mistake of accepting a request that required me to kill something in the same exact area as the boss there, which was quite odd fighting that and the boss at the same time.

I guess it all depends on how quickly you figure out the patterns and/or if your units are fairly buffed up from equipment.[/QUOTE]

it's funny, i did the areas and bosses out of order. i had a lot of fun with the quests and with making money and building up my troops. due to this, i never had any real trouble with any of the bosses.

that's crazy you fought a quest and the boss at the same time. it's times like that when i wish that i could run back to the castle, save, and go out again. even in the middle of a boss fight.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']The last kingdom wasn't too bad, I think I died maybe once or twice. For the final boss/battle be sure you bring a lot of hardened soldiers, and a couple of farmers. This was my least favorite battle of the game, and by far the most difficult so you want to be prepared.[/QUOTE]
I did not reread this thread before attempting the final boss, and the lack of soldiers makes it pretty much impossible. :lol:

After a quick game over, I was able to do a lot better on a second try, but quick deaths and no damage make for a lot of useless units.

I agree that it's really an annoying fight. Very difficult to pick up the patterns and figure out when you're able to attack. Hopefully third time will be a charm tomorrow.

Late to the party but I just finished this. That was a long walk for a kind of disappointing ending. Omelet was my favorite boss by a country mile. The whole sequence through the Worrywart kingdom leading up to him was a blast and his fight was as well.

I did feel that I was dragging my feet to complete this game however. It's definitely getting traded back to Amazon or sold on craigslist. It's not a keeper even though it was fairly interesting.

I picked this up when GameStop had it for $30 a while back and after a few breaks due trying to quickly 1000/1000 ODST and start Muramasa, I'm back to playing it. Those distractions aside, this game seriously has its hooks in me. I've started and put down NSMB Wii and Metroid Prime Trilogy, which are both huge interests to me, to progress more in LKS. I've only defeated King Onii, Duvroc, & Shishkebaboo, but this game just oozes quality & style and has taken its place above Pikmin 1 & 2 already.

It sounds like some people were disappointed with the end of the game, so I hope I'm not let down too when I get to it, but right now, just building up my town, training my citizens, and finding & equiping them with new weapons is very addciting. So far, I've managed not to kill any of my troops, but have had to reset/reload several times to achieve this - Shiskebaboo pushed me close to accepting a loss, as that was a really tough fight for me, but I got through it mostly unscathed on the 5th attempt. I'm looking forward to fighting the next few kings in the Skulls Plains.

I hope we get a sequel to this, as I'd like a quick load feature on the menu, as well as improved troop movement around obstacles and IR pointing targeting. Off to the Worrywart Kingdom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully we'll see a sequel, Kimura (the producer) has expressed interest in doing so.

The bad news is unfortunately the game hasn't sold that well. Only around 120k worldwide. I was hoping it would at least reach 300k. For one of the higher rated Wii games, the sales are a big disappointment.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Hopefully we'll see a sequel, Kimura (the producer) has expressed interest in doing so.

The bad news is unfortunately the game hasn't sold that well. Only around 120k worldwide. I was hoping it would at least reach 300k. For one of the higher rated Wii games, the sales are a big disappointment.[/QUOTE]

Outsold 10x by Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour (Wii)... :(

one of the most disappointing thing about the wii is the breakdown between quality and sales. It has to be disheartening to see a great game, you worked really hard on and that came out fantastic get consistently outsold by stuff that took a fraction of the time and is garbage.
This happens elsewhere, but it seems to really haunt the wii.

But doesn't that usually happen with the front-running console, since by shear numbers the non-gamers who buy shovelware outnumber the "real" gamers? I mean, the same thing happens on the DS and look at Okami on PS2. I guess it's no different than movie afficianados decrying how action blockbusters outdraw the artsy films.

Still, we should start a new topic to list all the critically acclaimed games that don't sell well. Little King's Story can be exhibit #2, because I think Zack & Wiki has to be exhibit #1 (especially because it's a launch title).

It seems I won an XSEED contest and I get to pick one free game from their list, so naturally I picked this one. Only a matter of time now!

To be honest, I wasn't going to get it, it was oft putting somehow. Now I have no damn excuse lol :p

[quote name='Cao Cao']Yoshiro Kimura posted a post-mortem on GamaSutra for LKS, as producer and director:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26453/Postmortem_The_Creation_Of_Little_Kings_Story.php

He mentions some interesting things, including concepts that were axed like a multiplayer mode, a "network feature," and an introduction chapter (Play as Corobo before finding the crown; Replaced by the opening cutscene due to being too slow of a segment).[/QUOTE]

Now if Cing could create a sequel... They are one of my fav developers after playing through Hotel Dusk.

I haven't played this much for the past couple of months, but I was really into it at the end of the summer beginning of fall. I got to a sticking point where my next bosses were the guy made of pencils and the TV show area and I couldn't really make any progress on either of them and haven't picked it up since. I'm not even sure how far along in the game I am, but for the hours I put into it I feel like I should be 3/4 of the way through.

bread's done
Back