LittleBigPlanet Delayed Everywhere Over Qur'an expressions in a Licensed Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
SCEE has just confirmed to VG247 that shipped LittleBigPlanet units are to be recalled on a global level thanks to a licensed track in the game containing two “expressions” from the Qur’an.
It was thought this afternoon that shipped units of the game were to be pulled back in Europe, but the move will be made “worldwide,” Sony’s just told us.
When asked how many units are to be recalled, a SCEE rep said, “We haven’t been given any figures.”
http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/17/sony-littlebigplanet-to-be-recalled-on-global-level/

Personally, I'm kind of upset I'll have to wait on this game a bit longer, but I wouldn't want any other gamers to be turned off by the game. Quoting the Qu'ran is considered to be deeply offensive to some, and the lyrics themselves don't really seem to suit the game's extremely happy charm.

Feel free to discuss further.

Personally, I think the other thread on this shouldn't have been locked.

I am also reminded of the shitty old Xbox fighter - Kakuto Chojin? - that had the same "problem". Except since the game already sucked, we all just laughed.

[quote name='The Crotch']...

Personally, I think the other thread on this shouldn't have been locked.

I am also reminded of the shitty old Xbox fighter - Kakuto Chojin? - that had the same "problem". Except since the game already sucked, we all just laughed.[/quote]

I think the person who posted it locked it himself....but I could be wrong...

[quote name='The Crotch']I can lock my own threads now?

*runs over to SC2 thread with girlish glee*[/QUOTE]OH NO YOU DON'T!

whose to say thats the real reason for the recall. could be something worse going on and theyre using that excuse to cover up for something else.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I wouldn't want any other gamers to be turned off by the game. Quoting the Qu'ran is considered to be deeply offensive to some, and the lyrics themselves don't really seem to suit the game's extremely happy charm.[/quote]

Are you serious? There are tons and tons of games movies and TV shows with incendental refrences to other religions. Do think all of those should be censored?

And forget about the incendental references, how about all of the movies and TV shows that directly purposefully ridicule religions like Christianity or Judaism? How about disrespectful depictions of Jesus?

Why should Islam get special treatment?

Sony is stupid for apoligizing and recalling a game over an incendental reference that only people who understand Arabic would notice. (BTW MS is guilty of this too, they recalled a game in the past over a similar issue).

Besides, Sony has a hand in publishing lots of other movies and TV shows that could be considered offensive to some consumers by the same standards they're applying here to LBP. They've ignored other complaints in the past over other concerns. So why does everyone want to bend backwards for this complaint?

And I am honestly pretty shocked by the number of apologetic comments I've seen (like the comment by leveskikesko). I thought that the disgust over this move by Sony would be more universal. This is just plain stupid.

[quote name='olanmills']Are you serious? There are tons and tons of games movies and TV shows with incendental refrences to other religions. Do think all of those should be censored?

And forget about the incendental references, how about all of the movies and TV shows that directly purposefully ridicule religions like Christianity or Judaism? How about disrespectful depictions of Jesus?

Sony is stupid for apoligizing and recalling a game over an incendental reference that only people who understand Arabic would notice. (BTW MS is guilty of this too, they recalled a game in the past over a similar issue).

Besides, Sony has a hand in publishing lots of other movies and TV shows that could be considered offensive to some consumers by the same standards they're applying here to LBP. They've ignored other complaints in the past over other concerns. So why does everyone want to bend backwards for this complaint?

And I am honestly pretty shocked by the number of apologetic comments I've seen (like the comment by leveskikesko). I thought that the disgust over this move by Sony would be more universal. This is just plain stupid.[/quote]HE didn't say they should be censored, he said SOME GAMERS might be offended.

I see where you're coming from. Lately the Muslim religion has gotten special treatment, while other popular religions like Christianity are ridiculed freely. But even so, there's nothing wrong with showing respect for other people's beliefs. We may not understand them, but that's no excuse.

This game doesn't look like it's trying to send a deeper message on religion, so really it's not a big loss if you could even consider it that. If the game relied on it for its essential story, maybe I'd agree on keeping it. Freedom of Speech and all that, but it just seems counterproductive for it to be in this type of game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo! I just picked up 2 copies from this Mom and Pop store! I was in TRU and I was talking to another gamer that I had just met in line. So where exchanging thoughts on upcoming games and then he brings me up to speed on this whole delay thing. I hadn't heard anything about it until then. And then he proceeded to say that he called the Mom and Pop store one town over from where we were and they had it in. I told him I knew exactly what store he was talking about and I dropped everything I was doing and hauled ass over there. Funny thing, we both pulled up at the same time in a parking lot about a block or two away from the store. He decided to snatch up a copy as well. I am going to play one and keep the other. Only thing though, unless they change the SKU, there will be no real way to tell whether you have the recalled version or not. So if people are going to try and sell them then they may want to do it quick, before the push back date arrives.

[quote name='lokizz']whose to say thats the real reason for the recall. could be something worse going on and theyre using that excuse to cover up for something else.[/quote]

Get out your tinfoil hat!

There are worse things going to be made in that game, I know because I plan on doing it. I am sick and tired of this shit. I want my damn game!

[quote name='olanmills']Are you serious? There are tons and tons of games movies and TV shows with incendental refrences to other religions. Do think all of those should be censored?

And I am honestly pretty shocked by the number of apologetic comments I've seen (like the comment by leveskikesko). I thought that the disgust over this move by Sony would be more universal. This is just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]

Brain ... going to ... asplode.

First off, LBP isn't a movie or a show; they're irrelevant, so restrict your argument to games. Even if that weren't the case, Sony/Columbia/TriStar/Destination/MGM/United Artists (all owned by Sony) have managed to put out movies on enough subjects, offensive and otherwise, that saying Sony is giving anyone special treatment is ridiculous.

Back on the subject of games, religious elements get censored all the time. Obviously you weren't aware that the ADL convinced Nintendo to pull a Pokemon card because they found the swastika on it offensive (in spite of its obvious Japanese usage). Or that Christian iconography is censored from Castlevania games all the time (most notably in Symphony of the Night, which appeared on ... oh yes. The Sony Playstation). I'm curious: what other games has Sony been asked to censor for religious reasons and chosen to go ahead with?

Also, your question of "Why would they censor something that only the people who might be offended would understand?" is self-evidently silly in retrospect, I hope.

So let me break it down: For controversial or offensive subject matter, they'd have to re-rate the game, and they don't want to skirt a more restrictive rating that might impact sales when they're obviously trying to go for as wide an audience as possible. Beating a hooker (or flirting with offending a religion) might be fine for some games, but if you want an all-ages vibe, it doesn't belong. It's not that complicated.

Lastly: why isn't this in VS?

[quote name='Kendal']Get out your tinfoil hat!

There are worse things going to be made in that game, I know because I plan on doing it. I am sick and tired of this shit. I want my damn game![/quote]

if i do that then the aliens will be able to read my mind through the cable box...........trust me they can do it.

[quote name='trq']
So let me break it down: For controversial or offensive subject matter, they'd have to re-rate the game, and they don't want to skirt a more restrictive rating that might impact sales when they're obviously trying to go for as wide an audience as possible. Beating a hooker (or flirting with offending a religion) might be fine for some games, but if you want an all-ages vibe, it doesn't belong. It's not that complicated.[/quote]

Except that the song has no explicit lyrics and would not change the rating at all.

It's more likely that Sony didn't want to have their HQ suicide-bombed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back