Live DoTW Deadliest Warrior | READ OP FOR MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up for everyone. I was going to buy Sonic Adventure, then I remembered a dreamcast collection is in the works. Im sure SA will be on it.

Decided to buy in on MNC. After playing a game online in the trial, somehow getting MVP in my first game, and an immediate desire to play again, I figured I'd go for it.

Might have to go in on sonic 1-3. Already own Sonic and Knuckles from a contest on 360Junkies a while back, 4 is still too expensive for me and I never played Adventure so I'm thinking with out some nostalgia going on I'm not likely to enjoy it much since that seems to be a big part of it. (Not to mention it will almost certainly be on the dreamcast collection coming out)

[quote name='seanr1221']Just a heads up for everyone. I was going to buy Sonic Adventure, then I remembered a dreamcast collection is in the works. Im sure SA will be on it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, passed on both the PSN and now this sale for the same reason.

[quote name='rickyff7']You know what, i'll just get the Yugioh game. i do have on psp but it suck there no online in it. Sonic 4 may have to wait *sigh*, anyways Thanks HDShadow.[/QUOTE]
Not a problem! I'm waiting for Sonic 4 too. Sega can wait for their sales haha.

From an avid Yugioh fan and old school Sonic Fan, i'd have to say go with Yugioh. Sonic 4 wasnt bad, but it wasnt great either. And im willing to bet it'll go on sale pretty soon again in the future.

Yugioh has alot more replay value (The online is pretty fun, and aside from the rage inducing difficulty in the first few hours, and the dumb ass card unlocking system, its still a great game)

[quote name='seanr1221']Just a heads up for everyone. I was going to buy Sonic Adventure, then I remembered a dreamcast collection is in the works. Im sure SA will be on it.[/QUOTE]

Totally forgot about this and was just about to pick up SA. Thanks for the reminder and for saving me 400 points.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Totally forgot about this and was just about to pick up SA. Thanks for the reminder and for saving me 400 points.[/QUOTE]

Its only 5 bucks o_O, plus theres a good chance the Collection wont be out for a good while AND might not even have the Avatar Awards

Since when the fuck did microsoft points start charging sales tax when you buy them at retail? I bought a 1600 card earlier today and I'm not sure I wanna use it just yet.
If I buy points through the dashboard, is it tax free?

[quote name='harry hood']Since when the fuck did microsoft points start charging sales tax when you buy them at retail? I bought a 1600 card earlier today and I'm not sure I wanna use it just yet.
If I buy points through the dashboard, is it tax free?[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on your state law. Like Amazon

I brought up the part about being charged tax for microsoft points awhile back, no one gave it any thought. bb don't charge me tax for ms points, gamestop does. don't know how that works, was told it varies by state but it's ymmv i guess by store(s).

From what I've noticed (in NY at least), if you buy the points in the plastic packs you are charged tax. If you buy the cards that have to be activated at the register, you won't be charged tax.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I brought up the part about being charged tax for microsoft points awhile back, no one gave it any thought. bb don't charge me tax for ms points, gamestop does. don't know how that works, was told it varies by state but it's ymmv i guess by store(s).[/QUOTE]

Not to get off topic, but that could just a software/POS error. Some one could have just keyed the SKU to be taxed incorrectly. Depending on the law in your state if you should be taxed or not, if you made a big enough stink they could get into a good bit of trouble

Also, per request I put the old sales behind a spoiler tag. As a reminder, I'll start a new thread in 2011 and get rid of some of the clutter.

[quote name='harry hood']I've never had to pay tax when I bought points in retail before. It seems like I may have to pay tax online as well.[/QUOTE]

And now you do. The law changed.

I'm not much of a Sonic fan anymore but I suppose I'll get Sonic & Knuckles for a buck fifty, or should I just cough up the extra dollar and go for Sonic 3 instead? I don't plan on getting the Genesis collection, and really only want one Sonic title in my collection.

It really depends on the store. I've been charged sales tax at the BB near my house but the one a little further away did not charge me. Different cities but still.

Time to dip again on Sonic Adventure! Haven't played this game in about six years. I'm excited to play through it again.

Sonic 4... is a fun game. It's sort of like Sonic Rush Classic or something. Like a really well done version of Sonic Rush that I prefer over Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. It's not a very good version of Sonic 4 though. Especially being a die hard fan, it's easy for me to pick this apart for its mistakes and how it can't possibly live up to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Good game, but, ehh... don't pay attention to the "4" in the title.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Any reason to get Sonic & Knuckles if I have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's not on there.

Price Drops (only since there are several floating around)

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Onslaught Mode - 400 Microsoft Points
Shortcut Bundle - 1200 Microsoft Points
Shortcut Pack Assault Kit - 400 Microsoft Points
Shortcut Pack Engineer Kit - 400 Microsoft Points
Shortcut Pack Medic Kit - 400 Microsoft Points
Shortcut Pack Recon Kit - 400 Microsoft Points
VIP Pass - 800 Microsoft Points

Dante's Inferno
-Trials of St. Lucia - 400 Microsoft Points

Burnout: Paradise (might be a sale - The collections are several DLC items packed together)
-Big Surf Island - 560 Microsoft Points
-Boost Specials Collection - 400 Microsoft Points
-Cops and Robbers - 400 Microsoft Points
-Legendary Cars Collection - 400 Microsoft Points
-Party - 400 Microsoft Points
-Time Savers Pack - 400 Microsoft Points
-Toy Collection - 400 Microsoft Points

I just noticed these in the OP (I must not have scrolled down to far before). Anyways, not that it isn't too hard to figure it out on your own, maybe they should still have a section in the "What's in this DLC?" section. Also, I don't know what the original prices are, but those seem high for a sale/drop, what are the original prices?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, it is on there. But you can't lock it on Sonic 2 or 3 (or on Sonic 1 for the sphere bonus stage game)[/QUOTE]

What does that mean?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, it is on there. But you can't lock it on Sonic 2 or 3 (or on Sonic 1 for the sphere bonus stage game)[/QUOTE]

I'm fooled then. I could've sworn S&K wasn't on the disc.

[quote name='chickenbutt']What does that mean?[/QUOTE]
It was an interesting concept back in the nighties. The Sonic and Knuckles cart had an port on the top of the cart to allow another Genesis title to be connected. When you "lock on" Sonic 2, you get Knuckles playable in Sonic 2 (along with some different item placement so that you would take advantage of Knuckles gliding and climbing skills)
Sonic 3, well that is the definitive way to play Sonic 3 in my opinion. You lock that bitch on there and you play through the game as it was meant to be played through. You play through Sonic 3 first, as either Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. You can collect the emeralds as usual, but after you get done with Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles starts up immediately after. You can then collect the Super Emeralds to become even more badass versions of Super. (Tails even has a transformations with all of the Super Emeralds, Hyper Tails)

Long story short, I dunno if it's worth it to you to buy Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. It's a little under 5.00. But they're both amazing games and I really think it's much more epic to play through with them locked on.

Oh wow. Totally missed that. So Sonic & Knuckles wasn't connectable in the Genesis Collection? Well, I might bite on a few of the Genesis games then.

Sonic and Knuckles lock on doesn't even give you the 4+ save slots and the level select that the original game did. You can only use Backbone's cruddy 3 save state feature. Don't bother with this if you want the Sonic 3K experience... which you should. It is the best Sonic experience by far. Just get the old PC port or emulate.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Sonic and Knuckles lock on doesn't even give you the 4+ save slots and the level select that the original game did. You can only use Backbone's cruddy 3 save state feature. Don't bother with this if you want the Sonic 3K experience... which you should. It is the best Sonic experience by far. Just get the old PC port or emulate.[/QUOTE]
I don't understand how losing the original save slots impacts things much. Level select, sure, that was fun and sucks to lose it. Achievements, what not. But what about the save system that impedes the experience much, if at all?

I would think that all of the MIDIized music in the PC port would be far more dissuasive to a potential player of Sonic 3 and Knuckles than the save system that's employed in the 360 version.

Yeah, that midi music was weak sauce but they improved the Launch Base theme at least.

What you lose on the save system is the ability to have a completed save with all the character pairs you wish selected. You could have perfect games crafted for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Sonic and Tails. This isn't a LOT but there are a few bosses that are different depending on who you are playing as. Without Tails to fly you, for instance, in that one ruins level, the mid-air dive-bomb midboss is different. Only Sonic ends up getting the Doomsday Zone finale, etc etc.

It's not SERIOUS, but it represents a definite act of negligence on behalf of the porters.

Then again, I guess if you were at all serious about getting SK lockon abilities, you would probably have learned a bit about emulation and have them emulated anyway.

Also, Sonic 4 is tepid and unimpressive.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8013692 said:
I thought Fable 3 was part of the deal for the 30th? If not, drats :c
It was guessed but it turns out to not be the case. Honestly I'm not surprised. The DLC just came out end of November. A sale this soon seems perhaps a little inappropriate/too soon?

[quote name='Chrono Gear']It was guessed but it turns out to not be the case. Honestly I'm not surprised. The DLC just came out end of November. A sale this soon seems perhaps a little inappropriate/too soon?[/QUOTE]
I was just excited as I just finished the game, and wanted to play through Understone. Maybe I'll bite anyway :/

So Knuckles and Sonic only works on Sonic 2 and 3, not Sonic the Hedgehog 1? I mean, the lock-on ability to play as Knuckles. If so, then I may just get those 3 games and not the first.

Thanks for any help.

[quote name='justoneuncle']From what I've noticed (in NY at least), if you buy the points in the plastic packs you are charged tax. If you buy the cards that have to be activated at the register, you won't be charged tax.[/QUOTE]
That's possible I guess. I bought just a regular card with a scratch off, not a plastic pack, like you mentioned and was charged tax. I didn't end up using it, but I bought points online and I was charged tax. Huh, how about that.

Just last week I bought points at the same gamestop and wasn't charged tax. Of course, that purchase had the redeem code printed directly on the receipt. Maybe that makes a difference.

[quote name='megma42']Reddjoey,

Just wanted to thank you for your hard work on this thread.[/QUOTE]

No problem.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I just noticed these in the OP (I must not have scrolled down to far before). Anyways, not that it isn't too hard to figure it out on your own, maybe they should still have a section in the "What's in this DLC?" section. Also, I don't know what the original prices are, but those seem high for a sale/drop, what are the original prices?[/QUOTE]

Maybe a post or something. The problem with price drops is they could go unnoticed, even in a specific slot.

Most of those are 50% off. I'll add that next time a mention them.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8013692 said:
I thought Fable 3 was part of the deal for the 30th? If not, drats :c

Sorry to get your hopes up, I'll take the blame. The clue was One Good vs A World of Evil and that was Sonic. I was hoping for Fable too, but it was a slim chance.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8013726]I was just excited as I just finished the game said:
If you are gung-ho about the dlc go for it. You're only going to save maybe $3 at most. I'm too cheap (also I beat it a while before the DLC came out so I have long since moved on) so I'll wait for the eventual discount. Based on Fable's track record you can expect one at some point in the future.

Just noticed that in the Destination: Arcade section, it says that items are "non-longer working". Thought you might wanna fix it in case you didn't catch it. Thanks again for keeping this thread going!

[quote name='kburns10']Just noticed that in the Destination: Arcade section, it says that items are "non-longer working". Thought you might wanna fix it in case you didn't catch it. Thanks again for keeping this thread going![/QUOTE]

Thanks

If you don't mind missing achievements I would personally get "Sonic Mega Collection Plus" for the Xbox (which is backwards compatible with the 360). You get the majority of the classic Sonic games and you can even link S&K and Sonic 2/3.

You can find it for cheap online, same goes with the "Mega Man Anniversary Collection".

It sucks that the Fable III DLC isn't on sale but it was only a slight chance at best. I'll just wait for it to go on sale especially since it doesn't have achievements.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has all of those (except Sonic 4 and Adventure) and includes achievements. It's a great deal for your money and gives you all of the Sonic games on one disc.

Really tempted by Sonic 4. Was hoping for a bigger discount, but this is probably the biggest discount I'll ever see on it. So is it worth it at 800 points or should I pass?

[quote name='kburns10']Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has all of those (except Sonic 4 and Adventure) and includes achievements. It's a great deal for your money and gives you all of the Sonic games on one disc.[/QUOTE]

Yes the game has achievements but they are not the same achievements. Disc has 1 achievement for Sonic 1 and 1 Achievement for Sonic 2 only if I remember correctly... These allow an extra 800 gamerscore on top of these so not as bad as you make it sound

Miffed that we dont get DLC for Sonic Adventure... rethinking buying game now

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back