Lock Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='evanft']1. The Wings were good preceding their 2 cup wins.

2. The Pistons were becoming better every year leading up to their championship, and had one 2 chapionships about a decade earlier.

3. The Tigers have been awful since 1993, and have not played significant baseball since 1987. They were awful as recently as just last year, when they won less than 75 games.

4. There is no other story in baseball bigger than the Tigers this year, period. That is an indisputable fact.

5. No one gives a flying fuck about the Yankees beating them. They had a great season and it'll be remembered no matter what happens.[/quote]

About the topic change, its not happening. I won't change it in support of any team other than the Reds or Red Sox. Nothing against the Tigers, just the way I am.

Now if the Reds somehow win the Central, then they'll get the title for a day.

As for the biggest story in baseball this year, no. Ryan Howard's tear is huge. Especially coming in the wake of steriod testing, its huge to have someone hit that many.

They are in the top 3 stories of the year for baseball, but not #1, therefore not indesputable fact.

Edit: Also the Phillies still being in the hunt for the playoffs after their fire sale, is just insane. So the Tigers being in the playoffs in #3 for me, thats probably because I am not a fan of theirs.

[quote name='craven_fiend']About the topic change, its not happening. I won't change it in support of any team other than the Reds or Red Sox. Nothing against the Tigers, just the way I am.

Now if the Reds somehow win the Central, then they'll get the title for a day.

As for the biggest story in baseball this year, no. Ryan Howard's tear is huge. Especially coming in the wake of steriod testing, its huge to have someone hit that many.

They are in the top 3 stories of the year for baseball, but not #1, therefore not indesputable fact.

Edit: Also the Phillies still being in the hunt for the playoffs after their fire sale, is just insane. So the Tigers being in the playoffs in #3 for me, thats probably because I am not a fan of theirs.[/QUOTE]

OMG A PLAYER HAS BEEN HITTING!!!!! STOP THE fuckING PRESSES!!! THAT'S THE STORY OF THE YEAR!!! OMG PHILLIES!!!! DEY HAD WINNING SEEZONS BUT DIS YEAR IS SPECIALZ!!11!!!

No. Tigers are the story of the year.

[quote name='evanft']OMG A PLAYER HAS BEEN HITTING!!!!! STOP THE fuckING PRESSES!!! THAT'S THE STORY OF THE YEAR!!! OMG PHILLIES!!!! DEY HAD WINNING SEEZONS BUT DIS YEAR IS SPECIALZ!!11!!!

No. Tigers are the story of the year.[/quote]
WOW DETROIT FANS HAVE SOMETHING TO fuckING CHEER FOR IN SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER. HALT THE fuckING PRESSES, CHANGE ALL HEADLINES TO ONLY THE TIGERS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Get your head out of your ass and take a look at the bigger picture, instead of just your team.

Howard is having an insane year, was it expected? Hard telling.

And I think its a big deal when a team all but gives up and "sells" off players, only to get back to the hunt for the playoffs.

The Tigers are not the story of the year. Thats only your opinion and they are like assholes, everyone has them. Just because you say it is the story of the baseball year, doesn't make it fact either.

How about the end of the Braves 14 years at the top of the NL East?

Edit: And throw in the end of the 20 game winner era. Bigger story.

[quote name='craven_fiend']WOW DETROIT FANS HAVE SOMETHING TO fuckING CHEER FOR IN SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER. HALT THE fuckING PRESSES, CHANGE ALL HEADLINES TO ONLY THE TIGERS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Get your head out of your ass and take a look at the bigger picture, instead of just your team.

Howard is having an insane year, was it expected? Hard telling.

And I think its a big deal when I team all but gives up and "sells" off players, only to get back to the hunt for the playoffs.

The Tigers are not the story of the year. Thats only your opinion and they are like assholes, everyone has them. Just because you say it is the story of the baseball year, doesn't make it fact either.

How about the end of the Braves 14 years at the top of the NL East?

Edit: And throw in the end of the 20 game winner era. Bigger story.[/QUOTE]

Tigers are only one game up on the Twins. IMO, the Twins are the bigger story than the Tigers. And how about the collapse of the Cardinals? If it goes through, THAT will be the biggest story, no doubt.

It's great that the Tigers are having a good season. We don't even show up to the playoffs down here and now it's gone.:(

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Tigers are only one game up on the Twins. IMO, the Twins are the bigger story than the Tigers. And how about the collapse of the Cardinals? If it goes through, THAT will be the biggest story, no doubt.

It's great that the Tigers are having a good season. We don't even show up to the playoffs down here and now it's gone.:([/quote]

I was going to mention the Twins, but I'd wait to see how it finiishes before I judge that.

And the collapse of the Cards will be huge if it continues. I'd like to see the Reds in the playoffs if that were to happens. And if it were to happen, I don't know if I'd rather them play the Padres or Mets (assuming the Dodgers win the WC). I think they would play better against the Padres, than the Mets. But thats putting too much thought into it.

[quote name='starman9000']Is it their possible monumental collapse?[/quote]

The Tigers are in the playoffs for the first time in 19 years, have had their first winning season since 1993, and may finish with the best record in the A.L. or possibly all of baseball.

That's a fucking story.

[quote name='evanft']The Tigers are in the playoffs for the first time in 19 years, have had their first winning season since 1993, and may finish with the best record in the A.L. or possibly all of baseball.

That's a fucking story.[/quote]

You want a fucking medal?

How about this, the Twins with a payroll 20 million short of the Tigers, lost their 2nd best pitcher who is better than anyone the Tigers have (Yes better than Verlander), and were under .500 during June/July.

Go on, please, your really making your case.

[quote name='ph33r m3']You want a fucking medal?

How about this, the Twins with a payroll 20 million short of the Tigers, lost their 2nd best pitcher who is better than anyone the Tigers have (Yes better than Verlander), and were under .500 during June/July.

Go on, please, your really making your case.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. If the Tigers really were that great of a story, they would have been setting up their rotation for the last two weeks and not trying to fall behind a team that has made up nearly 12 games in the standings.

No, the story is either the Twins' comeback, or the Cards' collapse.

[quote name='evanft']The Tigers are in the playoffs for the first time in 19 years, have had their first winning season since 1993, and may finish with the best record in the A.L. or possibly all of baseball.

That's a fucking story.[/QUOTE]

It's definately a story. It's just funny to have it noted as the story of a year as a fact. Now if they manage to take the Series, that would be a terrific story. (annoying as heck, but impressive none-the-less)

I agreed that the tigers are a big story. Ill take back that they were the biggest because of really thinking about it...what happens if they lose the AL Central to the Twins. A storied season turns into one of dissappointment. So they make the playoffs and then what? if they make it far than it turns from dissappointment to a season of unexpected proportions for them. the tigers making the playoffs for the first time in 19 years equals the the Red Wings winning the cup in what 52 years or the NY Rangers making the playoffs in 10 years..my point is that the others do have a point. the tigers arent just the big story. even ph33r m3 with the yanks had a good point....the Sox had them all but clobbered...but then came back took the AL east and arent far off the pace for the MLB best record. Anything can be a big story. In the MLB there is no one single big story to define a season. We had crowning achievements, tragedies, races,controversy....hell we shouldnt even have this argument of which story is the biggest. they are all big IMO. each one equals the next one...form anibal sanchez's no hitter to the dodgers 5 homerun comback to win it...to even Trevor Hoffman breaking Lee Smith's record. hell Braves even have a place with losing the NL east for first time in 13 years. everything is huge end of story.

I still say the Tigers are the BIGGEST story. People basically wrote them off.....a team that set a record in losses just years ago, now becoming one of baseball's elite. People expected the Twins and ChiSox to compete. The Yankees are always up there...

Monumental Collapse???? They hit a skid....the Twins hit a skid early in the year. We are still 1.5 games up. 3 is the Magic Number.

Looks, the Mets are 3-9 in the last twelve....people aren't saying they are collapsing.

[quote name='doubledown']

Monumental Collapse???? They hit a skid....the Twins hit a skid early in the year. We are still 1.5 games up. 3 is the Magic Number.

Looks, the Mets are 3-9 in the last twelve....people aren't saying they are collapsing.[/QUOTE]

Thats because the Mets have clinched. The Tigers had a double digit lead last month and now they might (but probably won't) lose the division. That would be a huge collapse. Not as huge as if the Cardinals manage to blow it in the next few days though.

All that said, the Tigers could do what the Sox did last year, with a late slump but then pulling it together when it counts. The playoffs will be interesting that's for sure. Yanks are coming together strong, Twins are looking good, but with a big ? at pitching. Tigers could sweep or be swept by Oakland. Oakland's basically getting ignored by everyone. Im hoping for an all central ALCS.

[quote name='doubledown']I still say the Tigers are the BIGGEST story. People basically wrote them off.....a team that set a record in losses just years ago, now becoming one of baseball's elite. People expected the Twins and ChiSox to compete. The Yankees are always up there...

Looks, the Mets are 3-9 in the last twelve....people aren't saying they are collapsing.[/QUOTE]

yeah but i think willie is playing more of his bench now to give his players some rest before we hit the big time. anyway i can care less....the mets clincehd homefield and the division...they can lose as many games as they want...as long as they dont do it in the playoffs.. the only thing i worry is Pedro. that guy has utterly lost it. i hope he can make a full comeback in the playoffs...this will hurt us big.

As for the Tigers winning now...it all seems like this was coming..they have young talent and it was just knowing when they would break out..it looks like they did it this year. To be elite like the Elite...they need to win consistently every year. atleast if i see that they will be elite to me but right now no. anyone can have 1 good season...eg ChiSox. Its if they have a couple which make them great

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah but i think willie is playing more of his bench now to give his players some rest before we hit the big time. anyway i can care less....the mets clincehd homefield and the division...they can lose as many games as they want...as long as they dont do it in the playoffs.. the only thing i worry is Pedro. that guy has utterly lost it. i hope he can make a full comeback in the playoffs...this will hurt us big.

As for the Tigers winning now...it all seems like this was coming..they have young talent and it was just knowing when they would break out..it looks like they did it this year. To be elite like the Elite...they need to win consistently every year. atleast if i see that they will be elite to me but right now no. anyone can have 1 good season...eg ChiSox. Its if they have a couple which make them great[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thank you. I don't know how anyone could call the Tigers elite after a one year turn around. Sure its nice, but it doesn't put them up there with the other elites.

Their story may be a big one, but to say its the biggest and calling it fact is just ridiculous. Its as if Detriot fans only care about whats happening in their hometown instead of the rest of the sports world.

It was a squeeker for the Twins tonight. Radke looked good, that definately will help their playoff run if he stays strong. Now if only the Royals could figure out how to beat the Tigers.

[quote name='H-Town Info']astros are a 1/2 game behind the cards. this could be the worse collapse in baseball history by the cardinals.[/QUOTE]
Being a Cubs fan, all I have to say is, that's a real shame. A real, real shame.
As sad as the Sox not making the playoffs.

[quote name='craven_fiend']:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thank you. I don't know how anyone could call the Tigers elite after a one year turn around. Sure its nice, but it doesn't put them up there with the other elites.

Their story may be a big one, but to say its the biggest and calling it fact is just ridiculous. Its as if Detriot fans only care about whats happening in their hometown instead of the rest of the sports world.[/QUOTE]

its definitley not a fact that its the biggest...well litterally its "a" fact but its not the end to tell all. I just think that there is not one big story but all the exciting stories is what defines another great season. im stoked that the mets won the NL East for the first time in 13 years but im not going gonzo over it. at this pt if i were a tigers fan i would care more about their horrid play as of late and not worry about the biggest story in baseball. If they play like that going in...and they lose..i wonder what the Tigs fans will say? will you guys still think this is the best story in baseball or just another dissappointing season. my point is that the tigs arent the biggest story they are part of a great season in baseball...i mean seriously there are so many stories that happend this season each one can equal the next..this will not matter anymore when October hits..we will all get new stories that are just as important or even more important than the ones in the reg season.

well Pedro is out for 2006 :( i hope he rests up and gets his shit back together for 2007. we needed him and stil need him...maybe Minaya will actually move for Zito this off season.

[quote name='H-Town Info']astros are a 1/2 game behind the cards. this could be the worse collapse in baseball history by the cardinals.[/quote]

Come on H-Town, it would be the worst collapse, not worse. Just messing with you though.

And I am hoping that the Cards and Astros get swept and the Reds sweep and squeak into the playoffs.

Edit: Start the new thread for the build up to (and for) the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back