Lock Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='javeryh']Yanks just beat the Tigers 2-0 so as of right now the NY Mets have the best record in baseball. Go Mets!!![/QUOTE]

oh my i never noticed....hoooo! "raising hands like Lionel Hutz"

I think the Tigers only have to win HALF of the rest of the games to make the playoffs...something like that. They have been playing pretty bad lately though...which disappoints me. Oh well, our Class-A pitcher, Andrew Miller pitched a scoreless 8th.

Hard to say how many wins the Tigers will need to have the best record, or win the Central, or just make the playoffs. I'm guess 100 wins gets you all 3 here. How many less than that, I'm not sure. I'm not convinced that 94 will get you in.

I find it hard to say, but it really seems like Boston is done. They would really need something close to a 13 game winning streak or 15-17 games. Something insane to get back into the wildcard hunt. So, with about 29 games left, yeah, the Tigers may not even need to win half to get in.

Should be a fun September in the D (which is good, since the Lions look like they could make another run at losing a dozen this year)

boston has been done ever since varitek left

Here was our starting lineup yesterday (openingday starter)

LF Kevin Youkillis (Manny Ramirez)
CF Gabe Kaplar (cocco crisp)
RF Erik Heinske (Trott Nixon)
3b Mike lowell (same)
ss Alex Cora (alex gonsalez)
2b Dustin Pedroia (mark Loretta)
1b Carlos Pena (Youkillis)
C Doug Mirabelli (Jason Varitek)
DH Mark Loretta (David Ortiz)

BigPappi is having heart problems, manny is having knee problems, wilie mo pena is having wrist problems...nixon tore his bicep, varitek tore a ligament in his knee. The pitching, we had been without wells, clement and wakefield for at least 2 months of this season. Wells is finally back, but now lester is out with possible cancer.

Well, let's break it down. The Tigers will need to go 17-12 to get 100 wins. If they bust out of their slump, then this is feasible.

The Yankees need to go 22-9 to get 100 games. Entirely possible, but that means they have to play better the rest of the season than they have on average this year, and they're only .500 over their last 10; clearly not on the top of their game at the moment.

Not to mention the Mets have snuck up and are tied with the Tigers for the best record in the league right now. So that about does it. If the Tigs can get back to their early season form heading into September, then they have a chance at the trifecta. But more importantly, they just need to outplay the ChiSox and Twinkies over the next 30 games and get to the playoffs.

[quote name='doubledown']Well, the Tigers made up for it in the night cap....what ANOTHER come from behind win. Excellent game....C-Mo is on FIRE.[/QUOTE]

Man, I went to bed with the Twins winning and the WhiteSox and Tigers losing. I was a little annoyed this morning when I checked the scores.

[quote name='ryanbph']it appears that wells was trades, as the red sox are allegedly starting jullian tavarez tonight[/quote]

I wish they'd tell us already whats going on with Wells. Tell us the trade or whatever.

And Julian Tavarez starting tonight, wow. Why not just put Lenny DiNardo (sp) in there and use Tavarez Saturday, if they have to.

well dinardo has really struggled in the minors, and usually goes about 3ip lately. So I would imagine, tavarez to start, hopefully get 4ip, and then put dinardo in.

Wells is offically a padre and John Lester may have cancer. The Red Sox have the worst luck, David Ortiz now Lester. I think the Yankees paid off some assasins, or god.

I'd like to thank Alex Rios for tonights game. If it wasn't for him, the game would probably still be going on right now. Thanks for throwing the ball into the stands while trying to catch it.

And if not for Pedrioa (sp) and that amazing double play turning throw, it may not have been a victory.

And to top it off, ESPN has Wakefield set to pitch on Saturday, now thats a boost.

I know its a slight glimmer, but theres still hope in Sox camp. Its just that they need a huge month and a miracle.

fuck....2 games the Giants should've won but don't, beat the Braves today, need somebody to be the Dodgers...

[quote name='craven_fiend']I'd like to thank Alex Rios for tonights game. If it wasn't for him, the game would probably still be going on right now. Thanks for throwing the ball into the stands while trying to catch it.

And if not for Pedrioa (sp) and that amazing double play turning throw, it may not have been a victory.

And to top it off, ESPN has Wakefield set to pitch on Saturday, now thats a boost.

I know its a slight glimmer, but theres still hope in Sox camp. Its just that they need a huge month and a miracle.[/QUOTE]
and nixon, varitek and pappi should play hopefully this weekend. I dont think they will, but it is possible if the tigers dominate both the twins/whitesox in sept, and then the whitesox/twins beat up on each other. The red sox did lose about 12 1/2 games in the standing in the month of aug, it is possible for them to make up about 7 games. I just don't think they have it.

Phil Nevin also went to the Twins today....

I hope the Tigers have an average September. They still have a 4-game series with Minnesota and a 3-game with Chicago. Looks like it could be a tough September...although, two series against KC.

We'll see....could be an interesting September.

Any way to check who made the September 1st playoff rosters?

i thought oliver perez has alot of upside? good thing he is still young.i hope he has a better year next year because i think dave williams is coming back

[quote name='doubledown']Phil Nevin also went to the Twins today....
[/QUOTE]

He's not great, but anything is an upgrade over Rondell White.

[quote name='assasin4hire']Wells is offically a padre and John Lester may have cancer. The Red Sox have the worst luck, David Ortiz now Lester. I think the Yankees paid off some assasins, or god.[/quote]

The Yankees have had roughly the same amount of injuries as the Red Sox this season. Matsui, Sheffield and Pavano have been out all year and Cano, Mussina, Dotel, Cairo and a bunch of others have been on the DL at some point this year.

I object, I OBJECT

sheff and matsui are you only legit ones...pavano was hurt going into the season and not much was expected, same with dotel. Cairo is a backup...mussina said the only reason he is on the dl right now is because the space between the yanks and the sox, and if they were close, he would be pitching...cano was out less then a month...we have had crisp out 2 months, wells was out more then 1/2 the season. Nixon has been out 2 months and counting, varitek out 1 month and counting, wakefield out 2 months and counting, loretta has been in/out of the dl recently, our startiing ss has been out a couple wks now, foulke has spent most of the season on the dl, matt clement has spent the majority of the season on the dl. We have had 60% of our projected starting staff on the dl for more then 2months each. Pitching wins games, and the only projected starter you had with extended stay on the dl is pavano (and there was no guarantee he would be back). You take sheffield and matsui out of the yank lineup, and payroll, the yanks payroll is still more $50mill more then the redsox. Dotel and pavano both were big question marks on if they would have impact on the team. And your trying to tell me that cairo was a big deal. He barely ever plays

according to yahoo

Sep 1 Lester has a form of lymphoma and will begin treatment within the week, the team said Friday. The 22-year-old left-hander was placed on the disabled list Monday with back pain, but tests revealed enlarged lymph nodes. The team said Lester has a treatable form of anaplastic large cell lymphoma.

and jon paplebon was pulled from the game tonight with an apparent shoulder injuries.

[quote name='ryanbph']according to yahoo

Sep 1 Lester has a form of lymphoma and will begin treatment within the week, the team said Friday. The 22-year-old left-hander was placed on the disabled list Monday with back pain, but tests revealed enlarged lymph nodes. The team said Lester has a treatable form of anaplastic large cell lymphoma.

and jon paplebon was pulled from the game tonight with an apparent shoulder injuries.[/quote]

Hopefully all goes well and he is able to have a normal life, with or without baseball. (preferably with baseball and the Red Sox, but life is first and foremost)

Alright so its been a week and another embarassing stint against the Royals after taking 2 of 3 from the ChiSox and splitting with the Jays, I've finally got my fork in the Red Sox. I know its a little late, but oh well they're done.

And I take back what I said about Halladay, since he's been ineffective since I said he deserved the Cy Young. Its Santana's to lose. The NL Cy Young still appears up for grabs, as no one jumps out and says look at me.

What a mess for the Tigers. If they blow this 10 game lead they had....it will have to be one of the worst collapses in baseball. People in Motown are beginning to panic. 2 game lead now...sheesh. They better go .500 the rest of the way.

[quote name='doubledown']What a mess for the Tigers. If they blow this 10 game lead they had....it will have to be one of the worst collapses in baseball. People in Motown are beginning to panic. 2 game lead now...sheesh. They better go .500 the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

doesnt help that the twins are red hot..its kind of like a reverse in season for the two.

well the dodgers spanked us pretty good tonight. cant wait for pedro to return

[quote name='craven_fiend']No such luck.[/quote]

Watched the Manning Bowl more so I didn't see all of it, 2/3 isn't bad, been dominating the Pads. Matt Morris needs to go A.S.A.P.

Ortiz thinks the Red Sox free fall shouldn't affect his MVP chances, and calls out Jeter saying he couldn't hit in the Red Sox line-up. Ortiz is crazy to think he has a chance/win the MVP, he's hit a lot of key hits in the late inning, but Jeter plays a little thing called defense, and is superb at it to say the least.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Ortiz thinks the Red Sox free fall shouldn't affect his MVP chances, and calls out Jeter saying he couldn't hit in the Red Sox line-up. Ortiz is crazy to think he has a chance/win the MVP, he's hit a lot of key hits in the late inning, but Jeter plays a little thing called defense, and is superb at it to say the least.[/quote]

But Ortiz's point is this, if you take Jeter out of the Yankees lineup, it doesn't have too much effect on the hitting of the team. Without Ortiz's bat, well you've seen what happened to the Red Sox. In that case, Ortiz is the more valuable asset to his team.

I want Ortiz to win, but neither him or Jeter should get it. I honestly think without Morneau, the Twins would probably be in a distant 3rd place in the Central, if not lower. So if the season ended today, I think the Cy Young and MVP in the AL would be on the Twins. They would've cleaned up on the award triple crown had Liriano not gotten hurt.

And atleast I've got the Reds to fall back on now, they hold the key to their post season, with a series against the Padres at Cincy, should be a good one. I won't settle for anything less than 2 of 3.

I'm tired of the 'you can't be an MVP if you're a DH.' Last I checked it was a position on a baseball team. Last I checked, it was an awfully important position in the AL. (Ask the A's this year) Jeter might be hitting for a high average, but before tonight, he was 20th in RBIs.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm tired of the 'you can't be an MVP if you're a DH.' Last I checked it was a position on a baseball team. Last I checked, it was an awfully important position in the AL. (Ask the A's this year) Jeter might be hitting for a high average, but before tonight, he was 20th in RBIs.[/quote]

I don't think DH should be scoffed at, but my arguement wouldn't be for Jeter if he wasn't a Gold-Glove caliber player which he is.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm tired of the 'you can't be an MVP if you're a DH.' Last I checked it was a position on a baseball team. Last I checked, it was an awfully important position in the AL. (Ask the A's this year) Jeter might be hitting for a high average, but before tonight, he was 20th in RBIs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a position on a baseball team. But you still have to stand out much more as a DH compared to a position player, because you only play on one side of the ball. Heck, Kicker is a position in football, it doesn't mean that they should get an MVP nod in that sport.

I do think it's silly to give the award out to a position player over a DH if they are no good at the position, but Papi is forgetting that there is more to baseball than RBI and homeruns (even on the offensive side). His comments haven't done much to help himself in getting the award.

isnt the mvp based on stats though? as what i remember that usually is the determining factor in any kind of mvp voting. i bet you ryan howard wins NL MVP with his monster hr hitting. thats how bonds and pujols won theirs. ortiz could win with just sheer numbers. trust me its gonna be the same for teh cy young and the same for teh rookie of the year. IMO its all about the stats which of course is a bunch of crap when its taking into consideration for voting.

[quote name='integralsmatic']isnt the mvp based on stats though? as what i remember that usually is the determining factor in any kind of mvp voting. i bet you ryan howard wins NL MVP with his monster hr hitting. thats how bonds and pujols won theirs. ortiz could win with just sheer numbers. trust me its gonna be the same for teh cy young and the same for teh rookie of the year. IMO its all about the stats which of course is a bunch of crap when its taking into consideration for voting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, stats are a big part. But it is hr/RBI are not the only stats that people look at. Plus, Ortiz's biggest negative is he is probably not on a playoff team. Most voters won't vote for a non-playoff player unless it is a VERY special season.

I got a simple solution: Morneau. Top ten in average, RBI and HR.

Phil Rogers is right: we're not giving Jeter his lifetime achievement award this year. Give it to someone who means much more to his team.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I got a simple solution: Morneau. Top ten in average, RBI and HR.

Phil Rogers is right: we're not giving Jeter his lifetime achievement award this year. Give it to someone who means much more to his team.[/QUOTE]

I'd love Morneau to get it. He certainly helped himself last night. I didn't realize he was leading the league in game winning RBI after 8 innings.

Unfortunately, the MVP is kind of like the Oscar's and voters do tend to give it out as a lifetime achievement award, so who knows. Part of the reason some people want Ortiz to get it is because they think he should have won last year. It'll probably all come down to who makes the playoffs. Dye could get it for the Sox. I don't think Thomas has a chance, comeback player yes, but not MVP.

[quote name='botticus']Bout damn time... too bad the Twinkies scored 4 in the 8th to win as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was sweeet.

You Tigers Fans shouldn't be too worried, I still think you'll make the playoffs and probably win the central. I don't get all these people who think the Sox and the Twins are gonna pass you. It's possible I suppose, but I don't see it happening. The Sox have been just as bad as the Tigers lately. All credit to the Tigers for building up such a huge lead early on.

Yeah, there is panic here in Tiger Town, but hopefully they hold up. Everyone seems to be getting injured. Zumaya is out for a few days with tenditis...should be back Friday hopefully. I'm glad the ChiSOX are stumbling too though, that's nice. I still hope they win the division outright....I don't want NY in the first round.

[quote name='starman9000']Yeah that was sweeet.

You Tigers Fans shouldn't be too worried, I still think you'll make the playoffs and probably win the central. I don't get all these people who think the Sox and the Twins are gonna pass you. It's possible I suppose, but I don't see it happening. The Sox have been just as bad as the Tigers lately. All credit to the Tigers for building up such a huge lead early on.[/quote]
Well, they've just been lucky that everyone has stumbled down the stretch here. Yeah, they lost 8 or 9 games on the Twins over the past couple months, but that's not really a huge differential.

The real problem with this team is going to be the expectations. Even if they make the playoffs, there will be a ton of people pissed off when they get knocked out of the first or even second round. Because, you know, everyone knew they were Series contenders at the beginning of the season. :roll:

[quote name='botticus']Well, they've just been lucky that everyone has stumbled down the stretch here. Yeah, they lost 8 or 9 games on the Twins over the past couple months, but that's not really a huge differential.

The real problem with this team is going to be the expectations. Even if they make the playoffs, there will be a ton of people pissed off when they get knocked out of the first or even second round. Because, you know, everyone knew they were Series contenders at the beginning of the season. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Are you referrig to Detroit? People expectations change now....you make the playoffs, you want to win. They should NOT just be happy to be there, that's a poor way to look at it for a team. Every team believes they can win. Detroit has executed this year. Now, fans are not going to say...oh, they made the playoffs, they can lose now...nope...we want WINS.

Also, Detroit went 11-8 vs Minnesota this year I believe. Although, they are 2-5 in the last two series.

[quote name='doubledown']Also, Detroit went 11-8 vs Minnesota this year I believe. Although, they are 2-5 in the last two series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Detroit kicked the crap out of the Twins early in the season, they didn't just win...they were blowouts. (they were outscored like 40-2 or something goofy)

[quote name='doubledown']Are you referrig to Detroit? People expectations change now....you make the playoffs, you want to win. They should NOT just be happy to be there, that's a poor way to look at it for a team. Every team believes they can win. Detroit has executed this year. Now, fans are not going to say...oh, they made the playoffs, they can lose now...nope...we want WINS.

Also, Detroit went 11-8 vs Minnesota this year I believe. Although, they are 2-5 in the last two series.[/quote]
Well of course you want to win, but even now, do I realistically think that the Tigers, as young and tired and inexperienced as they are can beat the Yankees, Twins, or Sox in a 5-7 game series? Hell no. The Twins are the only ones they even managed to have a winning record against during the regular season, and the playoffs are a whole different ballgame when we know we'd be going up against Santana as many times as they can pitch him.

With all that said, they'll probably get flack from fans and the media if they don't win the pennant.

ortiz doesn't deserve it this year. Being almost 10 games out in both the division and wild car, he doesn't deserve being called mvp.

Twins lose Liriano and the game today, 1-0.

If the Tigers can win tonight, the magic number is 15. Big number with 17 games left, but it's better than nothin. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back