Logitech Harmony 520 remote $29.95 shipped (eBay homepage deal of the day)

[quote name='ajh2298']Do you have to do two different activity set-ups if say your TV is already on and you want to play your 360 and if your TV is off and want to do the same thing?[/QUOTE]
No. It will just do all of the steps without turning your TV on.

[quote name='linkmon']I bought this remote and the batteries that came in it had acid all over them and I got it all over my fingers burning them pretty good. I emailed them about it and the never got back to me!! Be very careful!![/QUOTE]
Mine too, actually. Not the batteries in the remote, but the extra pair provided.

I just made some tweaks to my activities that should fix the delay problem. I'll post them here if I get it to work.

Edit: Yep, got it fixed.

Go to Troubleshoot in the activity you're having the problem with, confirm the settings are correct, select TV is not being controlled correctly, Select 'When I first turn TV on, it doesn't go to correct input' (If that's your problem, of course), select No, then set your delay. I set mine to 8000ms, or 8 seconds, and it works fine now.

Is this available again for $29.99 I did a quick E-Bay search and the cheapest I could find was $39.99 for a refurb/open box with free shipping.

I'm trying to set up the Xbox 360 activity I mentioned before, but a couple of snags are preventing things from working correctly.

1. Starting the activity turns my TV off if I've already got it on. I want it to initially work with my TV already on.

2. When setting the option to set my TV to the HDMI 1 input, it only cycles to the next source input. My TV remote only has one source button that cycles each input one at a time, but since I can customize the Logitech remote to jump to a specific input (ie I got one button mapped to HDMI 1, the other mapped to HDMI 2), there has to be a way to get the activity to do the same.

3. I can't find an option to automatically adjust the picture size when the Xbox is turned on and the TV is set to HDMI 1.

4. When I push the power button on the Logitech remote, it turns off the Xbox and my TV. I want my TV to stay on when I turn off the Xbox.

I've found that if i select "watch tv" and all my TV and cable box are already on, it just won't do anything. Which makes sense i guess considering the activity.

[quote name='linkmon']I bought this remote and the batteries that came in it had acid all over them and I got it all over my fingers burning them pretty good. I emailed them about it and the never got back to me!! Be very careful!![/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to mine. I emailed the jacks twice and no response even though they say they will respond in 2 days. I filed a dispute with Paypal and will escalate it to a claim when the time comes.

[quote name='JolietJake']I've found that if i select "watch tv" and all my TV and cable box are already on, it just won't do anything. Which makes sense i guess considering the activity.[/quote]

Yeah, the remote remembers the state that every component is in. So if you picked "watch DVD" while "watch cable" was already selected, it would turn on your DVD player and turn off the cable box etc... If something screws up the help button up at the top is amazingly very helpful in setting this straight.

[quote name='SOLDIER']I'm trying to set up the Xbox 360 activity I mentioned before, but a couple of snags are preventing things from working correctly.

1. Starting the activity turns my TV off if I've already got it on. I want it to initially work with my TV already on.

2. When setting the option to set my TV to the HDMI 1 input, it only cycles to the next source input. My TV remote only has one source button that cycles each input one at a time, but since I can customize the Logitech remote to jump to a specific input (ie I got one button mapped to HDMI 1, the other mapped to HDMI 2), there has to be a way to get the activity to do the same.

3. I can't find an option to automatically adjust the picture size when the Xbox is turned on and the TV is set to HDMI 1.

4. When I push the power button on the Logitech remote, it turns off the Xbox and my TV. I want my TV to stay on when I turn off the Xbox.[/quote]

There really is no way I know of around problem #1, although I usually turn everything off with the remote and if I turn it on again to watch TV or something, I use the remote activity for that and the remote remembers the TV is on, like someone else said. I'm not really sure what your asking in problem #2. As for #3, AFAIK there is no way to adjust the picture size of the Xbox through an activity. As for #4, just make another activity for whatever you want to do when you turn your Xbox off (i.e. watch TV) and rather than turn the power off, just switch to that activity.

So for problem 1, I should redo the activities with the device in question (the TV for instance) turned off?

For problem 2, I'm talking about how my remote only has one Source button, and it just cycles my different inputs. I'm trying to have my Xbox activity cycle directly to the input that the Xbox is connected to (HDMI 1).

Problem 3, I'm referring to adjusting my TV's screen size, not the Xbox. My TV can do 4:3, Just Scan, 16:9, and Wide Fit. I want to have the activity set the TV to Just Scan (assuming it wasn't already set to it).

My father and I had a hard time setting this up. My Dad wasn't to techi and I didnt know how his system was set up well enough to get it working for him. Sadly I took the gift back and gave him a gift card.

Hopefully it'll work nice with the system I have set up at home.

Packing came a little crappy but the price was good.

[quote name='SOLDIER']So for problem 1, I should redo the activities with the device in question (the TV for instance) turned off?

For problem 2, I'm talking about how my remote only has one Source button, and it just cycles my different inputs. I'm trying to have my Xbox activity cycle directly to the input that the Xbox is connected to (HDMI 1).

Problem 3, I'm referring to adjusting my TV's screen size, not the Xbox. My TV can do 4:3, Just Scan, 16:9, and Wide Fit. I want to have the activity set the TV to Just Scan (assuming it wasn't already set to it).[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right for problem 1. It's a bit of an adjustment at first to not touch any components manually without the remote, but that's how these things work. They know what state everything is in, so if you mess with any device manually, it throws everything off.

Unfortunately, for #2, you're probably stuck cycling through inputs unless your TV has some undocumented IR command that allows you to explicitly jump to an input. I've had TVs like this, and it sucks. You're forced to program a certain number of video input commands with sufficient delays in-between. It works, it's just a little slower and you have to keep the remote pointed.

Problem #3 should be easy to remedy provided there's an IR command to switch TV viewing modes. Just include it as an extra step in the activity.

I got mine in the mail last week and every thing was fine. No problems with the batteries or anything. An awesome deal. Just don't submerge it in water. My daughter did that to my original 520 and it took 3 days for it to dry out completely and start functioning again. That's the main reason I ordered this as a backup remote.

The database is constantly updated with new models. I'm guessing they build the data from user input as some of my obscure and brand new components that were not available when I first set it up are now in the database.

I wouldn't buy a 520. I got one for my secondary HT and the rubber off button now is almost impossible to use after a couple of years. Anyway at $30 it's a good deal.

If you want a very good universal remote buy a 880 usually sold for $150-200 (sometime on sale for $100). Only con most buttons are not identifiable by touch unlike the Harmony One.
IMHO the 890 is way too expensive for just adding RF instead of the usual IR). I never actually used a Harmony One, so I cannot say anything about it. Review seems to be good, even though I read IR is weaker than the 880.

bread's done
Back