Looking for a new TV

[quote name='willardhaven']Toss out some details/requirements. Size? Price? Type of room?[/QUOTE]

Between 25-30 inches, not more than $700. It'd be in the living room which is smallish, maybe about 4x3 yards

[quote name='myxyplik']Between 25-30 inches, not more than $700. It'd be in the living room which is smallish, maybe about 4x3 yards[/QUOTE]

PS: Looking at digital, too, but something with analog inputs.

You leave a lot open with those deatails. for $700 you could get a 27-30 inch HDTV at any big box retailer.

Does your mom care about DLP, CRT, LCD?
Does your mom care about brand name?
Does your mom watch lots of tv?
Does your mom really care about HD?
Does your mom want 16:9 or 4:3?
Does your mom need a large tv or does she want a large tv?
Do you want to answer all of these?

[quote name='Graystone']
Does your mom care about DLP, CRT, LCD?
Does your mom care about brand name?
Does your mom watch lots of tv?
Does your mom really care about HD?
Does your mom want 16:9 or 4:3?
Does your mom need a large tv or does she want a large tv?
Do you want to answer all of these?[/QUOTE]

no
no, but I told her to stay away from Sony.
She's retired, so probably.
I don't think so, (I did mention getting an analog set and get a set-top box later but she doesn't want to pay extra for the set-top)
Doesn't care
She wants a large tv.
I just did.;)

PS: in case you're wondering, yes I know that HD is not the same as digital. The set my mom has now is going down the toilet, hence the need for another tv and a set up that won't leave her screwed come 2009.

I say you go to a big box retailer scope out a few tvs. Then find the reviews for them online. From your responses look for a CRT, that has a HD tuner bulit in. I know that their is a thread here for a $400 shipped 30 in widescreen that is HD.

I tried to find the link but I can't. Its for a phillips.

[quote name='myxyplik']
no, but I told her to stay away from Sony.
[/QUOTE]

Bad move if you are looking at tube TVs. They make the best ones on the market.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Bad move if you are looking at tube TVs. They make the best ones on the market.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is their picture is great, but they tend to break down more.

[quote name='myxyplik']My understanding is their picture is great, but they tend to break down more.[/QUOTE]

That can be said for pretty much every Sony product.

Flat tube at least. Anything less is just crap and your poor mom will hate you for life. Once you go flat, you scoff and laugh at your dumb friend who passed up a 27" flat tube for a 32" round with a shitty picture. Oh wait, that is me.

1.) Didn't Sony recently halt production on all of their CRT's? PC and TV.

2.) Not exactly a brand name ... but in this weeks Office Depot ad they you can get a 23" Olevia LCD HD set for $400 after $300 in rebates.

bread's done
Back