Looking for Best HDTV for around $500-$600

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
My girlfriend and I have been looking around trying to find the best deal for a new HDTV. We've had Time Warner's HD service for about 1 1/2 months and we don't have an HDTV. We kept meaning to get one but ever got around to it because we've both been busy working and because I didn't want to make a rushed decision. So I figured I'd come to CAG to see what the best deal is.

Thanks.

I bought a 32" flat lcd Envision from Staples for $475 after tax & a 12% off coupon. I've been very satisfied with it so far. If you want to look into it search the forum for "32 envision staples" That 12% off coupon might've expired though...it was a back to school type of thing.

[quote name='Z-Saber']And after reading reviews and such on the Circuit City website, buy it from somewhere else.[/quote]

Why... There budget TVs, of course there not going to be amazing.

These are your options- Either a budget 32" TV or a name brand 19" Tv for the price, your call

[quote name='Chacrana']So do you just want a deal, or do you want something nice?[/QUOTE]
Why do people still think that more money means better. Look op all the ones posted above are fine tv's, you can get a good Hdtv for little money now.

first thing how big is your tv now? a 32 inch lcd is way smaller than a 32 inch crt and if you watch a lot of standard tv it looks like crap on hdtv.

[quote name='shrike4242']Check Costco or Sam's Club for Vizio TV's. You should be able to find a 32" for around $600.[/QUOTE]

Or check out this set at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623471

Vizio 26" for $448. I haven't seen it up close but a lot of people seem to like the Vizio sets.

2x HDMI inputs, 1x RGB PC inputs, 1x component inputs, and the Vizio website says it even has a QAM tuner.

[quote name='freshzen']lol how is a 32" crt bigger than a 32" lcd?[/quote]

If the op were watching regular television then it would fill the entire screen. If he watched the same source on an lcd tv then it would be missing 1/4 of the screen space.

[quote name='jagwire1141']If the op were watching regular television then it would fill the entire screen. If he watched the same source on an lcd tv then it would be missing 1/4 of the screen space.[/quote]

Thats only true if the CRT is 4:3, if they are both 16:9 and you watch it in 4:3 then effectively your watching on a ~22" space.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Thats only true if the CRT is 4:3, if they are both 16:9 and you watch it in 4:3 then effectively your watching on a ~22" space.[/quote]

Are there really CRT HDTV's that come in 16:9 format that are 32 inches big?

[quote name='jagwire1141']Are there really CRT HDTV's that come in 16:9 format that are 32 inches big?[/quote]

Yes, alot of Samsung slimfit's, Phiilips makes some... Oh here look at this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...sc=TVVideoSP&sp=+brand+skuid&usc=abcat0100000

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.a...47630&GSESID=fj2a43ekuo0oj42sd0ay0o45&GSCID=2

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET

There are other cheaper brands also I have seen a ILO from walmart and a Insignia at Best buy.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned but do not buy a Vizio from Walmart. I had to learn the hard way, as I hooked one up and then found out they sell the gimped version. I took it back ASAP, and got the VX32L somewhere else.

VW32L = No.
VX32L = Yes.

The VW models from Walmart don't have audio out, so if that's important to you you'll want to find your way to a Sears or Circuit City where they sell the VX model. I almost bought a 37 inch from Walmart and was glad I didn't when I discovered this.

[quote name='jagwire1141']I had no idea there was a market for those. It's pretty incredible that you can get a 1080p 30 inch for < $600.[/quote]

Yea thats cool, but I'm sure you cant even notice the difference between that and 720p and a 30" TV

[quote name='chodax']Yea thats cool, but I'm sure you cant even notice the difference between that and 720p and a 30" TV[/quote]

Yeah there's a chart floating around that shows when higher resolutions become noticeable but it's the thought that counts.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']To make this easier, the walmart version is black ( and exclusively sold in walmart I think :p). BUt it is black.[/quote]
Yes the gimped version that Walmart sells is all black, where as the better one is black around the screen and silver where the speakers are at.

i just bought a 32" LCD HDTV 720p Insignia from Best Buy with 4-year warranty for $650. i'm happy with it.

[quote name='jagwire1141']I had no idea there was a market for those. It's pretty incredible that you can get a 1080p 30 inch for < $600.[/QUOTE]

That's 1080i, not 1080p. Big difference. I like CRTs. I own a 34" 1080i HD tube, and a 37" 720p HD LCD. Each one has it's advantages, but neither is perfect.

MjC

Got a Fry's near you? Go there and buy the 50 inch sony they have advertised for $600 in the newspaper. Might want to call about it first.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Why do people still think that more money means better. Look op all the ones posted above are fine tv's, you can get a good Hdtv for little money now.[/QUOTE]

Well... "good" is pretty debatable with some of the stuff that gets thrown around here.

Either way, you won't get a truly great TV unless you pony up. Cheap ass gaming is fine and good, but when it comes to hardware, it's stupid to skimp.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well... "good" is pretty debatable with some of the stuff that gets thrown around here.

Either way, you won't get a truly great TV unless you pony up. Cheap ass gaming is fine and good, but when it comes to hardware, it's stupid to skimp.[/quote]

What television do you own, my elitist friend?

I know, and I'm not saying that everyone needs one either. There's a number of excellent TVs out there, but with maybe one or two exceptions, they cost quite a bit (at least $600 for a 32")

I'm considering taking back the Vizio I bought last week and upgrading to the Samsung LN-T3253H, which is about $300.00 more. Besides the extra features, I can't find anything else saying that the PQ on the Samsung is that much better to justify the price. I need a good television for SD content, as I watch a lot of 480p DVDs and regular cable via coaxial. The Vizio does a decent job with the television, and a great job with DVDs. But I can definitely see some room for improvement.

I know that Samsung's new, high-end stuff is all really, really nice. I've seen the 53H version of the 40 inch TV and it's damn good. Very sharp, great color, good black levels (given that it's an LCD.) Looking at the specs, yeah, that'd be a ridiculously good choice. It's got sufficient inputs, the resolution's right (considering that 1080p is irrelevant at that size), and everything else seems to be quite good as well. No idea how Samsung's new TVs perform with SD stuff as all I saw was an HD demonstration, but SD hasn't been a problem with their TV's in the last couple years so I'd assume it'd be very good as well.

But yeah, I can't imagine being without a TV that does a good job with SD content since barely any of the stuff I watch/play is actually in HD... can't see that changing for a couple years still either.

Yeah, considering I'll have the television for several years... I might just pony up the extra few hundred and get the Samsung.

For people who are still on the fense about getting a budget TV as opposed to a named brand TV, most budget TV warranties are trash. Check out more information here.

I took back the VX32L and paid an extra $200.00 to get the Samsung. SD content is better, HD content is better, viewing angles... are hell of a lot better. Everything is a vast improvement, and was definitely worth the extra bit of money. Not to mention they have a USB port so you can transfer the latest firmware for the television onto it, which the Vizio doesn't have.

bread's done
Back