Looking for Game Suggestions for a Baten Kaitos Lover

LocarionStorm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I am in quite the pickle. I really would like to play a JRPG (irregardless of system). However, my main experience with JRPGs was the two Baten Kaitos games. I loved the quirky turn-based battle system and would really like something similar. I know that's a tough request with such a weird system being used by Baten Kaitos. But, I figure that there has to be other lovers of the Baten Kaitos games that can point me to other RPGs they really enjoyed.

I never played Origins, but the first Baten Kaitos was one of my favorite JRPGs too. The same developers went on to make Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii, which I believe is the best JRPG of this generation, easily. You may also want to check out Tales of Graces F on the PS3. Neither is card- and strictly turn-based like BK, but both have fast paced battle systems that are definitely not just variations of active time battle.

I'm a huge lover of Baten Kaitos too, couldn't really get into Origins though (I think the fact it felt like they were focusing much more on puzzle solving using the cards was a bit of a turn off for me, and the story pacing didn't seem to flow like the first game). But Eternal Sonata is totally worth checking out, like the other suggestions it doesn't use cards, but since it's made by the same developers the pacing and feel seemed really similar to me, plus the game is gorgeous and has a wonderful soundtrack (which Baten Kaitos had as well), just don't expect a very well developed or executed story because that is really Eternal Sonata's weakness (honestly, and I mean I still thought Baten Kaitos story was decent, I think that was the weakness of Baten Kaitos too was the story wasn't quite as strong as everything else (I had a lot of fun leaving the voice acting on though because it was so cheesy and odd it was kind of enjoyable)).

I've always wanted to play the Baten Kaitos games (have them both). At this point I'm sort of holding out for an HD remake perhaps. I know it is a long shot, but there you go...

So, yeah, I can't be too helpful with your request but I will echo coolz481's post in that I also think Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG this generation.

Games like Baten Kaitos, huh? Have you tried Final Fantasy X? The voice acting is even worse! Yey!

I'm kidding, by the way. I would like to suggest the Mega Man Battle Network Series on the GBA (at least part 2 and 3). You build a deck of cards and can create unique combinations when used in the right order, like BK. The battles keep playing while you're waiting for more cards, so you have to dodge enemy attacks and can shoot with your standard weapon.

I never did finish BK, though I really liked the combat and card setup. Couldn't stand the voice acting any longer after a certain point. I did get quite far I believe.

Thanks for the good feedback so far!

I do agree with the people saying the voice acting was laughable in the first one.

I'll take a look at Xenoblade Chronicles and Eternal Sonata. I am just quite thirsty for some RPG goodness.

I've never played BK (really need to get to it) but since it's a card based combat system, I think the two Lost Kingdom games (both on the GC) and Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (it's been released on the GBA, then PS2) have similar systems. I think there's a few others but don't know for sure.

If you just want JRPGs, there's lots to recommend beyond what was said in this thread. Radiant Historia (probably my favorite JRPG this generation) and Lost Odyssey are two that weren't mentioned but definitely worth playing.

[quote name='io']I've always wanted to play the Baten Kaitos games (have them both). At this point I'm sort of holding out for an HD remake perhaps. I know it is a long shot, but there you go...

So, yeah, I can't be too helpful with your request but I will echo coolz481's post in that I also think Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG this generation.[/QUOTE]

I've always heard good things about BK but have been putting it off for years now... I'm actually thinking of trying it on Dolphin Emulator, since GC games aren't as resource demanding as Wii games.

^ I've been playing Tales of the Abyss on my 3DS recently (yet another game I put off from last gen but with the 3DS remake got a chance to play on a shiny new system ;)). There are tons and tons of DS RPGs that I own but have never had time for. Maybe I'll play Radiant Historia next, though. I've always heard good things about that.

And yes, Lost Odyssey is a decent game, but I'd go with Xenoblade Chronicles over that.

I really enjoyed the card combat system of Baten Kaitos but not necessarily because it was card-based but instead because it had greater strategy than most turn-based JRPG systems. So I guess I am kind of currently looking for JRPGs with turn-based or pseudo-turn-based combat systems that have a good amount of strategy or are fast-paced.

[quote name='io']^ I've been playing Tales of the Abyss on my 3DS recently (yet another game I put off from last gen but with the 3DS remake got a chance to play on a shiny new system ;)). There are tons and tons of DS RPGs that I own but have never had time for. Maybe I'll play Radiant Historia next, though. I've always heard good things about that.

And yes, Lost Odyssey is a decent game, but I'd go with Xenoblade Chronicles over that.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, no doubt. Xenoblade Chronicles is my second favorite RPG this generation (I should have said Radiant Historia isn't just my favorite JRPG but also my overall favorite RPG this gen).

[quote name='LocarionStorm']I really enjoyed the card combat system of Baten Kaitos but not necessarily because it was card-based but instead because it had greater strategy than most turn-based JRPG systems. So I guess I am kind of currently looking for JRPGs with turn-based or pseudo-turn-based combat systems that have a good amount of strategy or are fast-paced.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you might wanna give some strategy RPGs a try. Valkyria Chronciles (arguably one of the most under appreciated games this generation) is a fantastic game. It's a strategy RPG game with some action game elements... sounds kinda odd but there's a demo of the combat that's worth trying.

You can also give Jeanne D'Arc a try on the PSP, it's more of a traditional SRPG but it was fun nonetheless.

[quote name='LocarionStorm']I really enjoyed the card combat system of Baten Kaitos but not necessarily because it was card-based but instead because it had greater strategy than most turn-based JRPG systems. So I guess I am kind of currently looking for JRPGs with turn-based or pseudo-turn-based combat systems that have a good amount of strategy or are fast-paced.[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, give Live A Live (SNES) a try, if you don't mind playing it via computer (although there are other methods, too.) Turn-based JRPG with a small grid field. Each hero has a unique set of moves that affect different parts of the grid based on their position. It has a good story and wonderful soundtrack, too. There's a splendid translation patch out there with much attention to detail and even custom fonts.

If you haven't played Chrono Trigger (SNES or DS), you should give that a try. It's a bit easy if you attempt to level at all, so just go through the storyline without grinding a bit if you want to retain some challenge. Has a lot of endings and some really fun sidequests.

There's the Pokemon series, of course. If you haven't tried those, consider starting with HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black/White. Pokemon Black/White 2 are out now, too, I think. They're all on the DS.

Also, I highly recommend Tales of Phantasia (SNES or PS1, ignore the GBA version). Great storyline and music, and an especially unique battle system. It plays like a real-time battle system, but it's essentially turn-based, because you must wait for your hero to return after sending him to attack. There's some strategy in knowing which moves to set for each area and boss fight. Can be quite difficult if you enter a fight without an appropriate moveset.

bread's done
Back