Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II Thread - 1st Review is Up!

y2jedi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Fellow CAGs,

I've had this on preorder for quite some time and I was wondering if anyone has seen any reviews for the 360. The PC version seems to have good reviews, but I thought I'd see what you all had so say.

I'm having surgery on 7-6 and this is released on 7-5. I just want to make sure this is worth the $60.00 and if this will be time (get)well spent.

CheapyD Edit:
First review is up:
Yahoo Review

It seems like it could be good. I've never really played RTS games, but this has me intrigued. I wonder how it'll play on the 360, don't most RTS games use a mouse and keyboard?

I'm interested for the multiplayer. I think everyone is waiting to see what the controls will be like, as most RTS games do use the mouse and keyboard. If they can nail the controls, I'll pick this up. Lets hope they do, since Command and Conquer 3 will share the control scheme.

[quote name='doubledown']It seems like it could be good. I've never really played RTS games, but this has me intrigued. I wonder how it'll play on the 360, don't most RTS games use a mouse and keyboard?[/QUOTE]

Same here man. I'm going to Gamefly it and give it a try. If you grab it and want to have a noob vs noob match let me know.

thanks for the links gang.
The only RTS I've really played on a console was Goblin Commander. I really didn't think it was that good and it was kind of short.
I think I'll stick with my initial preorder and give it a shot.

Btw, I'm not sure why the thread title corrected to lower case.

The thread title cracks me up.

I might get this one, depending on reviews.

Yup looks like it's back on for next week..... I hope it holds since I just signed back up for online rentals and i'm holding a spot in my queue for it. July & August is full of good 360 games! :D

I heard that they were currently dealing with lag issues on the multiplayer (always the case). It does sound like it's going to be fun playing with others, so I might pick this up on the cheap.

This game definetly needs a demo so everyone can see how well the controls work. EA's usually pretty good about putting out demos for their games so I think I'll wait to try the controls myself.

Online multiplayer for a console RTS game could be very fun.

[quote name='asianxcore']Is today the ship date, or will most stores have it in today?[/QUOTE]

Today's the ship date so most stores should have it by tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for CAG impressions. Didnt preorder it but tempted to pick up at GameRush, just hope I can get the extra maps if I do.

For those of you that picked it up, did you guys get the extra maps? If so, how were they given out (card with code, bundled in)?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For those of you that picked it up, did you guys get the extra maps? If so, how were they given out (card with code, bundled in)?[/QUOTE]
I don't think I got anything... I just got the game. Haven't cracked it open, yet... but I can only assume I didn't get the maps.

[quote name='Brak']I don't think I got anything... I just got the game. Haven't cracked it open, yet... but I can only assume I didn't get the maps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here, no maps I'm kinda pissed, maybe I'll call EA customer service and give 'em a piece of my mind

I'll probably end up picking this up on the weekend. Was gonna wait for some impressions as well, but I'm a sucker for LotR. Still looking forward to what you CAGs think of it!

[quote name='Wombat']Yeah same here, no maps I'm kinda pissed, maybe I'll call EA customer service and give 'em a piece of my mind[/QUOTE]

UPDATE 1: So I decided to call EB/Gamestop Customer service, to see if they would email me the codes, they said that the free maps were online only, I said I know that isnt the case, and kindly asked if they would email them to me.

She said she would have to email someone else to see if they had an "extra" codes. And that I would recieve an email either way. So far they and I have been pleasant. will update when I recieve an email

[quote name='Wombat']UPDATE 1: So I decided to call EB/Gamestop Customer service, to see if they would email me the codes, they said that the free maps were online only, I said I know that isnt the case, and kindly asked if they would email them to me.

She said she would have to email someone else to see if they had an "extra" codes. And that I would recieve an email either way. So far they and I have been pleasant. will update when I recieve an email[/quote]

Good to know, keep us updated.

didn't get the maps, and i am so far unimpressed with the game

i have played only for about 20 minutes, but the graphics so far are less than good looking, and i can't stand the lag when there are alot of enimies on screen or when you are moving your cursor

not to mention it will not let me get on the XBL part of the game. I click xbox live and it just says connecting to EA servers until i go back to dashboard or restart the whole 360

weak sauce so far

I'm enjoying this game so far. When I finally have the controls down (it'll take you a while, it uses several combinations of buttons), this'll be a blast online. The strategic possibilities seem endless. (Hope it doesn't turn into a big rush-fest.)

Two complaints:

I can't tell how far along unit construction is without having the building selected.

The camera just doesn't pull back far enough.

The graphics are fine for an RTS (some of the text may be difficult to read on a standard television, but it looks just fine in 1080i.) and the controls are certainly manageable.

I say go get it.

Unless you're really arachniphobic...you'll hate the loading screen.

[quote name='Jaket']
not to mention it will not let me get on the XBL part of the game. I click xbox live and it just says connecting to EA servers until i go back to dashboard or restart the whole 360[/QUOTE]

has anyone else had this problem? i can't find a soloution anywhere!

[quote name='Jaket']has anyone else had this problem? i can't find a soloution anywhere![/QUOTE]

nope, I got through, although only to be disturbed by finding a form asking me to opt into EA and their 'partners' to get accessto my personal information from microsoft.

Also, I got no maps with my pre-order. However, started the game for the first time, the Xbox360 popped up with a message saying that their was an update that needed to be downloaded. Perhaps they decided to give the maps to everyone?

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']

Unless you're really arachniphobic...you'll hate the loading screen.[/QUOTE]

What what? Now I'm too a-scared to plays it. Oh noes!

Just got the game but I have to go out for dinner soon. I'll try it out later tonight.

Also preordered it from Gamestop and didnt receive the extra maps.

[quote name='Jaket']has anyone else had this problem? i can't find a soloution anywhere![/QUOTE]

still no luck for me so far either, making me angry and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry

Ive been playing the game off and on since 3pm today. I enjoy it, not anything ground breaking but it gets better each time I play it because I get used to the control scheme more and more.

Things I dont like (most already listed)

Camera doesnt pull back far enough
The Controls are still a bit confusing right now but like i said, people will get it over time
Online setup for 2 vs 2 matches (there is no mode, you have to do a verse match and ask people to be on teams)
Offline Lag in the single player bites
Troops sometimes dont respond to orders you give them, they are highlighted and when you order an attack some may just stay in the back.

^^^ That sounds like a lot of complaints but it is the true first RTS on the 360 so ill take it. The online is fun (ive got onto the EA servers with no lag). Theres 39 maps (not including the 3 bonus ones which I did not get either) and the achievements seem fun.

As for you people who cant log online, its happening to a few of my buddies on my friends list, Im not sure what the case is. Im just assuming that EA doesnt have stable servers at the moment since the true release is suppose to be Friday

For those of you having connection probs, I saw this on gamefaqs (haven't tried it myself):

***From EA***

"Various people have mentioned they are having issues connecting to our servers thru Xbox Live. To those of you on these forums and our other popular Xbox.com forums that are having any connection issues, please try the following steps and please provide feedback whether or not this solved your connection issue:

1. Sign in and start the game
2. Select Xbox Live
3. This is where you will sit “Connecting To EA Servers”, at this point, press the 360 button on the controller and sign out, but don’t go back to the dashboard
4. Once signed out, sign back in again.
5. Go back to the game, it will say “the active gamer profile has been signed out”, press A to continue.
6. Select Xbox Live"

As for my impressions of the game (after completing both tutorials, and 4 campaign missions...haven't tried online yet):

Initial impressions for me are good...this is the deepest RTS I've ever played on a console. Those that don't like learning curves, tutorials, or reading the instructions need not apply.

The controls are good, but are definitely overwhelming at first. That's probably the only thing holding me back from enjoying this one to the fullest is learning all the shortcuts so that I can do what I want when I want (the action happens pretty fast).

Positives:
+ Graphics are ugly up close, but look great zoomed out all the way (where you will want to keep it)...this is on my Dell widescreen 24" HD monitor.

+ There is ALOT to do...you have FULL control over planning your attack, and can go about completing each mission any way you want. I haven't played the PC versions, but it doesn't seem like this is dumbed down in any way for the consoles.

+ So many different types of units and buildings to choose from. Multiple heroes with different skills included as well. Also, many types of powers/spells to choose from. If you are a LOTR fan, you will be in heaven with all the stuff they included.

+ Skirmish mode seems to be very customizable (can choose number of cpu generals, number of teams, plenty of maps, etc.)...I can see myself playing this alot after the 2 campaigns (good and bad) have been completed.

Negatives
- Camera is a little too close, even at max zoom out...would've liked a tad bit more zoom out.

- Can't "drag a window" to select units (like in PC RTS's)...I'm still trying to master unit selection, but right now it's clunky and unintuitive to me (although I'm getting better at it).

- Games are long...this is not a pick up and play title. You will have to set aside time to play (and learn the controls).

- Framerate/slowdown happens when you get alot of units on the screen (but not to the point where it's unplayable). Also, sometimes, units don't respond to commands right away (some control lag).

Hopefully, online will be a good experience. So far it's a keeper for me. If anyone wants to try the online stuff, shoot me an invite.

[quote name='Jaket']didn't get the maps, and i am so far unimpressed with the game

i have played only for about 20 minutes, but the graphics so far are less than good looking, and i can't stand the lag when there are alot of enimies on screen or when you are moving your cursor

not to mention it will not let me get on the XBL part of the game. I click xbox live and it just says connecting to EA servers until i go back to dashboard or restart the whole 360

weak sauce so far[/quote]

From eaapoc from EA forums:

Hey guys,

We're looking in to this right now, no worries, all will be well shortly. I will keep you posted. The game is supposed to street tomorrow so that could play a reason in this technical bump.

We should have this resolved as soon as possible, i'll keep you informed.

APOC

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?sls=3&lkey=RKoy_g3Dr8YPr488CmaMdAAAKDw.&tstart=0&threadID=86187&

And then he goes on to say what someone already posted here from GameFaqs:

Hey guys,

Various people have mentioned they are having issues connecting to our servers thru Xbox Live. To those of you on these forums and our other popular Xbox.com forums that are having any connection issues, please try the following steps and please provide feedback whether or not this solved your connection issue:

1. Sign in and start the game
2. Select Xbox Live
3. This is where you will sit “Connecting To EA Servers”, at this point, press the 360 button on the controller and sign out, but don’t go back to the dashboard
4. Once signed out, sign back in again.
5. Go back to the game, it will say “the active gamer profile has been signed out”, press A to continue.
6. Select Xbox Live

Other feedback please provide:

-How many friends do you have on XBL in our buddy list

-And also, please let us know if you are able to connect or not connect to other EA Games on Xbox Live such as Burnout Revenge or Battlefield: Modern Combat, if you own them or any other EA XBox 360 Live title.

Many folks have been able to log in just fine, but we're continuing to assess individual cases on this issue. I'll keep you posted.

Please provide feedback as constructively as possible so we can make use of it
happy.gif

Thanks!
APOC

Official EALA Community Manager

Message was edited by:
EA Apoc (EA.com)

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=86445&tstart=0

Hope this answers some questions.

I picked this up, went and played it at a friend's house since my 360 should be on its way back from microsoft by now. I like it. Controls are simple enough. My biggest complaints are the camera not zooming enough like some of you have already said, and the 1000 command point limit (if there's a way to raise this please tell). I have a couple questions,

1. Which sides seem to be good? I played Elves in a skirmish and I liked them, but I don't know if they're neccesarily the "best" to use

2. Do the "bombardment" (Treebeard, catapult, etc.) weapons hurt your own soldiers as well as enemies if the "rocks" hit close enough?

thanks

still thinking about picking this up later today.

I saw the bonus map offer if you pre-ordered off of Ebgames.com, was the same offer on Gamestop's website?

bread's done
Back