Lord of the Rings Online COMPLETE $9.99 *this weekend*

If anybody is considering this, let me know, I can toss refs over.

*Lifetime members will be issued a 30-day game card code to share with a friend.

Here are the terms:
https://myaccount.turbine.com/referral/rules/lotro

If anybody is interested, I don't need the 30 day code, so if anybody wants a ref and decides to stay to earn me one, I'll gladly give you it.

*NOTE* I don't get any mounts/experience/money/ANYTHING from doing this.

I have to chime in on this one - I played LOTRO for about 6 months up through I ran out of Moria content and it's a really great game. For any mmo players getting burned out over wow I'd recommend to pick this up and give it a shot.

Being a Tolkien geek, I signed up for the Lifetime account at launch and go back to it every now and then. The quests are really well written and it's a ton of fun just running around in Middle Earth. Nice deal for $10 for sure. I don't have the Siege of Mirkwood expansion on my account yet.

I have been playing since beta (3 years ago). I'm a HUGE mmo player and nothing meets the high quality and fun standards that is LOTRO. The community is probably one of the best also that I have seen. It is very casual solo friendly and has tons of content for groups also so both crowds are pleased.

[quote name='georox']If anybody is considering this, let me know, I can toss refs over.

Here are the terms:
https://myaccount.turbine.com/referral/rules/lotro

If anybody is interested, I don't need the 30 day code, so if anybody wants a ref and decides to stay to earn me one, I'll gladly give you it.

*NOTE* I don't get any mounts/experience/money/ANYTHING from doing this.[/QUOTE]
I'll totally take you up on that. I sent you a PM.

Hmm, yes I have a lifetime to this game but took a break after reaching max level (was 60 at the time), anyone interested should take up this offer, a very good deal for all that content. Definately one of the best mmo's out there at this time.;)

I bit. Ten bucks and change for ALL of them and a free month! I have heard more positive things about this than WoW and i liked that.

Hows the solo content in this game (i.e. pve leveling)? I'm not huge into forced groups just to level up (I.E. FF11 from level 12 onwards... yuck). I'm ok with groups in dungeons/raids/events/etc, but I like to see the world at my own pace and still level up (guildwars is a perfect example). I'm very tempted for $10.

Edit: Another question... can I buy the pack for $10, NOT activate the key to an account yet, sign up for the 10-day free trial, then activate it on that account for a total of 40 days?

If you're a [inactive] account holder, buying the pack will also give you 30 days correct?

Also it seems like I can't find anywhere to log-in on the Turbine "store" site - unless the store site's account is completely separate thing from the subscription account. :whistle2:s

[quote name='callmewoof']Hows the solo content in this game (i.e. pve leveling)? I'm not huge into forced groups just to level up (I.E. FF11 from level 12 onwards... yuck). I'm ok with groups in dungeons/raids/events/etc, but I like to see the world at my own pace and still level up (guildwars is a perfect example). I'm very tempted for $10.

Edit: Another question... can I buy the pack for $10, NOT activate the key to an account yet, sign up for the 10-day free trial, then activate it on that account for a total of 40 days?[/QUOTE]

Prob not helpful but in WoW if you activate during trial they still give you the 10 days free and add the 30 days on top of that to essentialy 40 days if you activate on day one.

I hear this game is purely PvE and does it fairly well. I mostly play pvp though so this may not be for me.. I dunno why I even play wow from time to time.

I decided to give this a try. If I don't like it, it's only $10. I've spent a lot more on games I haven't liked or played and the reviews on IGN seem really good. Actually rated higher than WOW I believe.

As a long time (since The Realm) MMO player, I would highly recommend LOTRO to anyone interested in the genre. It is certainly my favorite.

As for subscription questions, from what I read on the forums, the 9.99 purchase can be applied to a brand new account or an existing account to add the expansion(s), and comes with 30 days of play either way. After that, you pay either $14.99 monthly, or $9.99 per month in multi-month packs (i.e purchase 3 months for $29.97, 6 months for $59.94, or 1 year for $119.88). There's also a $199.99 lifetime subscription option.

Bit on this. Always heard positive things about it and the community.

Should at least give me something to do on times inside the house during the upcoming lazy summer days.

I tacked on an a 14-day trial before activating my main key, so I don't have to pay a dime monthly till like May 11th. Sweetened the deal even more for me.

I'm Tunoku on Brandywine, if anyone has started it up yet :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ekwalizer']I bit. Ten bucks and change for ALL of them and a free month! I have heard more positive things about this than WoW and i liked that.[/QUOTE]

LOTR is an above average game.. but it is NOT better than WoW. Just wanted to give you a heads up - don't dive in with those sort of expectations.

Just my opinion anyway.

[quote name='callmewoof']Hows the solo content in this game (i.e. pve leveling)? I'm not huge into forced groups just to level up (I.E. FF11 from level 12 onwards... yuck). I'm ok with groups in dungeons/raids/events/etc, but I like to see the world at my own pace and still level up (guildwars is a perfect example). I'm very tempted for $10.[/QUOTE]

This, to me, is the big question. It's something WoW does extremely well, that none of the other MMOs that aren't as successful seem to realize/don't care about. I played the game the first month it was out, and a bit in Beta. It's a pretty fun game, until you get out of the first enormous zone at like lv10 and it was all fellowship quests(or at least near impossible to find quests someone is capable of solo'ing). Would love to know if this changed any, or if my experience with it was faulty. Cause yeah, I like to play games, not spend a fair amount of time in a game looking for a group so I can *play* the game.

Back when I played there was a solo quest hole around level 35-40 but I think they added more quests to compensate. There is an infinite amount of solo content for levels 1-16 and your quests will be green/gray before you run out.

I got tired of the original end game content and quit back in the day but I really enjoyed the ride (took 2 characters to 50.) The book quests are epic.

This weekend is also a "welcome" back for ex-players for free. It ends Monday but not sure what time. However, if you don't have the expansions (like me) you're lvl capped at 50. Both of the expansions raises up to 65.

It is a really good game, I played for two years before burning out. The main problem is there isnt a lot of end game content, and they have a totally moronic dread system which only allows people who are hard core players in hard core guilds to do the final instances. If they removed those requirements, I would of never left.. I ran a casual guild with 100 players.. but we could never get the right combo of 12 players with all the right gear to do the final instances..

There are plenty of quests to take you to 65, and most of them are solo quests. They made everything a little too solo friendly, IMO.. you can get to 65 and have no idea how to really play your character or know your function in a group at all.

LOTRO is more solo-oriented than group-oriented, IMO. If you are going to solo to the level cap (which there is more than enough content to do), make sure you don't miss some of the great group instances along the way. Great Barrows, Garth Agarwen, and Fornost are some of the most memorable instances in the game for me. Been playing since closed beta (Nov. 2006) and I still play nearly every day.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']LOTR is an above average game.. but it is NOT better than WoW. Just wanted to give you a heads up - don't dive in with those sort of expectations.

Just my opinion anyway.[/QUOTE]

WoW is a below-average game that did nothing original. It does everything, but it excels at nothing. The entire game is the definition of mediocrity.

[quote name='redline']LOTRO is more solo-oriented than group-oriented, IMO. If you are going to solo to the level cap (which there is more than enough content to do), make sure you don't miss some of the great group instances along the way. Great Barrows, Garth Agarwen, and Fornost are some of the most memorable instances in the game for me. Been playing since closed beta (Nov. 2006) and I still play nearly every day.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I'm on Windfola if anyone is on that server PM me and perhaps we can hook up in-game.

[quote name='georox']WoW is a below-average game that did nothing original. It does everything, but it excels at nothing. The entire game is the definition of mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm a sucker for simplicity then.

When you purchase the game.. when do the 30 days start? As soon as you create your account? I recently bought Guild Wars and I figure I'd save this game for the summer. Would it be fine to buy it now and wait to "activate" those 30 days in the next few months?

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']When you purchase the game.. when do the 30 days start? As soon as you create your account? I recently bought Guild Wars and I figure I'd save this game for the summer. Would it be fine to buy it now and wait to "activate" those 30 days in the next few months?[/QUOTE]

Wondering this as well. This is a great deal, but I might not have a lot of time to invest in this game immediately.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I started as a 10-day trial member a few days ago and purchased this a day or so after that. I was sent (via e-mail) a serial number/CD key which you use to upgrade your account. Once I did that, the 30 days were added onto the game time I had left from the trial.

Yeah, they helped create LOTRO, lol

"Turbine has created some of the most popular and exciting game worlds on the Internet, like the award-winning Asheron's Call®, Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™, and The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™."

:p

If your worried about solo content...I solo'd 2 alts so far to 65 without too much problems. To me this game is much more than WOW will ever be (especially since a lot of wow content gets stolen from LOTRO or other Turbine games, ex: wow interface was ripped from asheron's call interface). But each crowd likes their own sets of games so argument is pretty invalid in itself also.

Moving on, 9.99 is a great price and probably the lowest it will go for a very very long time. Also showing from turbine's history books, when they do something like this, it usually means something major is in works for the game that is coming down the pipeline.

Is anyone having problems paying for the game? I grabbed it yesterday, but my girlfriend is having troubles today.

[quote name='jonac13']Is anyone having problems paying for the game? I grabbed it yesterday, but my girlfriend is having troubles today.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the problem?

It lets her go through the whole process, asks to confirm the order, then says "We are unable to process your order. Please verify your information and try again." I tried it myself using my credit card instead of hers, and the same problem persisted. This is on two different machines on several different browsers, as well.

[quote name='jonac13']It lets her go through the whole process, asks to confirm the order, then says "We are unable to process your order. Please verify your information and try again." I tried it myself using my credit card instead of hers, and the same problem persisted. This is on two different machines on several different browsers, as well.[/QUOTE]

I found this thread on LOTRO's forums which doesn't have much to go on at the time of this posting, except for one person providing a link and advising to send a ticket in to LOTRO's account support. Hope this helps.

[quote name='kosmos13x']If your worried about solo content...I solo'd 2 alts so far to 65 without too much problems. To me this game is much more than WOW will ever be (especially since a lot of wow content gets stolen from LOTRO or other Turbine games, ex: wow interface was ripped from asheron's call interface). But each crowd likes their own sets of games so argument is pretty invalid in itself also.[/QUOTE]

Every MMO rips off from some other MMO somewhere. World of Warcraft isn't original and neither is LotR:O. I have no clue where some people in this thread get the idea that "X" MMORPG is the pinnacle of originality when, in reality, are far from it.

[quote name='Statonxyb']Every MMO rips off from some other MMO somewhere. World of Warcraft isn't original and neither is LotR:O. I have no clue where some people in this thread get the idea that "X" MMORPG is the pinnacle of originality when, in reality, are far from it.[/QUOTE]

exactly...hence the "But each crowd likes their own sets of games so argument is pretty invalid in itself also"

[quote name='jonac13']It lets her go through the whole process, asks to confirm the order, then says "We are unable to process your order. Please verify your information and try again." I tried it myself using my credit card instead of hers, and the same problem persisted. This is on two different machines on several different browsers, as well.[/QUOTE]

Actually I can vouch for this problem as your not the only one to have this problem. Their billing system is kinda screwy unfortunately. First make sure you did not actually get charged for the 2nd account (guess checking through online bank or telebank if available). My guess is that it didnt. Second, try the browser program that you used on the first computer (if you used IE to get it to work, try IE). If its giving you the error, make sure you completely log out of the site if applicable, completely close down the browser, and possibly clear the cache if it is still not working. I remember when my gf signed up it took her several tries also to get it working. It's a pain I know.

Good luck hope it works out

This deal is still alive as a digital download

The Lord of the Rings Online™: Siege of Mirkwood™ Complete DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
$9.99
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood Complete DIGITAL DOWNLOAD includes:

* The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™
* The Lord of the Rings Online™: Mines Of Moria™ expansion
* The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood expansion
* 30 Days of Free Game Time

Now all you need are some cheap time cards in this deal from digitalbabe

Grr. I just got over WoW!

I wish I had tried this. I probably could have gotten into it... -.-

"YOU SHALL NOT RENEW!" *sobs*

Gah! trying to kick the MMORPG bug... still tempting though. may have to bite. missing out on anything buy not getting boxed version?

bread's done
Back