Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ Best Buy Exclusive

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Theatrical Edition] (9-Disc) Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ (StickerBook) [Best Buy Exclusive]

6735bc07e2ad0f1065df1c6fcf63d1aao.jpg

Price: $84.99 MSRP
Pre-Order Price: $64.99 Sale
Release Date: April 6, 2010
SKU: 9794135
Pre-Order Date: March 2 & 7, 2010
Minimum Deposit: $5.00 Required
Limited Quantity: 5-10 copies per store
Size: Jumbo
Other: StickerBook
Link: BestBuy.com
Store Locator: BestBuy.com

According to Brana, Best Buy is getting LotR Trio on BD Jumbo SteelBook but printed on Sticker. Now we have 4 different versions of LotR Trio (Best Buy, Future Shop, FNAC and Amazon.de). Best Buy are the stickerbook, Future Shop is jumbo, FNAC (French) get 3 individual steelbook cases, and Amazon.de (Germany) will have 3 individual steelbook cases housed in a slipcase.

Edit: Pre-order this and get a Steelbook case for free. Required $5 deposit. Must order between 2/4/10 and 4/5/10. Limit 3 per customer.

What is Stickerbook?
Stickerbook is printed on a high gloss photo sheet then laminate on the blank steelbook.
postcard-104341-3557-b.jpg

What is SteelBook Jumbo?
SteelBook Jumbo holds up to 6 disc, measuring by 6.7" x 5.4" x 1.14"
JumboProducts.jpg

2lj58wx.jpg

Courtesy to mmcvey (Bluray.com)

Fine Print: Available Tuesday, April 6, $5 deposit required. DVDs and Blu-ray Discs not included with Steelbook case. Pre-order must be made between 02/04/10 - 04/05/10. Release date subject to change. Limit 3 per title per customer. While supplies last. No dealer. Good in USA only. Void where prohibit. Distributed in the USA by Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91522. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot all about this until I went in a Best Buy for the first time this year. Picked up the only 2 they had. Maybe I can trade one out. :bouncy:

[quote name='Xizer']Just a warning to you guys - apparently Warner really fucked up the transfers of these films. They look god awful on Blu-ray.

See the AVS Forum thread on this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1137098&page=75

Might be something you want to consider before plunking down money on this sloppy work by Warner Bros...[/QUOTE]

Some of us just spent the $5 on the SB and are not planning on buying this because it's the Theatrical releases and this will not help in trying to change our minds.

Wow thats fucking awful, I only pre-ordered the actual steelbook with BDs from Future Shop. I might cancel mine right now. Thanks for the head up Xizer!

Oy... alright, so let's say for just a minute that I'm stupid, and that the above link to AVS gave me a headache upon reading.

Should I buy the trilogy set or not? I don't give a crap if it looks top notch, as long as it's better than DVD then I'm good.

Yes, the trilogy set will look better than the DVDs, even bad HD looks better than good SD.

Here's an easier to understand link, comparing The Fellowship of the Ring Blu-ray Disc with HDTV captures recorded a long time ago. Apparently, the HDTV captures look better than these Blu-rays.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237167

At this point I'd wouldn't recommend giving Warner money for this crap. They need to be taught a lesson that we expect better than this, especially for something as legendary as this franchise.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']Oy... alright, so let's say for just a minute that I'm stupid, and that the above link to AVS gave me a headache upon reading.

Should I buy the trilogy set or not? I don't give a crap if it looks top notch, as long as it's better than DVD then I'm good.[/QUOTE]

Click on these links, let the pic fully load, and run your cursor over the pic to see how much better and more detailed a HDTV broadcast with a lower bitrate looks.

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43821

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43820

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43823

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43824

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']
2lj58wx.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ok again label me a noob, but the image above says the case hold only 6 disc? but i thought the entire collected version on blu-ray is 9 discs? or am i missing something here?

also another noob question, so why is BB selling the case separately? or again am i mistaken? so we have to buy the normal blu-ray edition and store them into the steelbook case ourselves?

jumbo steelbook holds 6 disc, the other 3 disc are just digital copies that aren't necessary.

steelbook is optional, you don't have to buy steelbook nor movie. people usually buy steelbook in best buy then buy the movie elsewhere.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']jumbo steelbook holds 6 disc, the other 3 disc are just digital copies that aren't necessary.

steelbook is optional, you don't have to buy steelbook nor movie. people usually buy steelbook in best buy then buy the movie elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

i see. thanks.

[quote name='cky']They didnt even have any at the best buy i went too. How much is the pre-order anyway?[/QUOTE]

$5 in store, $15 online. They sold out fairly fast in most stores.

March 25th 2010

Dear valued customer,

We are contacting you directly to inform you of a pricing error that occurred on March 24th on your futureshop.ca pre-order of the Lord of the RingsTrilogy (Blu-ray) New,,WebID: M2175972.
There was a pricing error and you were charged $18.99 for your purchase instead of the correct price $49.99. This error was fixed immediately once we became aware of it.

We have faced these situations before and always look to our guiding principles to help us make good decisions. We take the trust you have placed in us as your online electronics store very seriously and strive to balance both the financial viability of the business with doing everything we can to provide excellent customer service.

We will honor the $18.99 price point for one unit to all customers who placed an order while the incorrect price was displayed on the site. For your particular order, multiple units were ordered at the incorrect price, the order will be cancelled and you will receive notification via email. Please place a new order for one unit on futureshop.ca and insert the eCertificate provided below to obtain the discounted price.

Your eCertificate code is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ($31 Promotional Credit) :D

How do I use my eCertificate code?

If you have received an eCertificate code from futureshop.ca, you can enter the code on the Cart page or the Review & Payment page during checkout.

IMPORTANT: eCertificate codes are easy to use for your online purchases, however you must have an account and a valid credit card* to redeem them. Simply enter the code when you add items to your cart.

*Your credit card will be charged only if the total amount of your purchase exceeds the total value of your eCertificate.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. You should receive your unit at $18.99 plus applicable taxes and fees as soon as product is released.

Enjoy the movie and thank you again for your patience and continued loyalty to futureshop.ca.

Sincerely,

The Future Shop team

Best Deal of the Year! :D

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']Click on these links, let the pic fully load, and run your cursor over the pic to see how much better and more detailed a HDTV broadcast with a lower bitrate looks.

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43821

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43820

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43823

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/43824[/QUOTE]

I am admittedly not a picky person and roll my eyes at the obsessive nature of most of the AVS people, especially when it is doubtful they will notice the minute details they nitpick over when actually watching the movie with the pictures in motion.

But to my eye the blu ray looks better in the first 3 and the picture is almost the same in the fourth. The blu ray seems to have more natural skin tones and less digital noise. Am I missing something?

I'm sure not happy with Bluray.com's review of this.
If they are in any way right about this, I'll be holding off for the extended versions for sure. No way do I want this movie on Blu if it's any less than a 4.5 out of 5 for video.

[quote name='bywaytm']I am admittedly not a picky person and roll my eyes at the obsessive nature of most of the AVS people, especially when it is doubtful they will notice the minute details they nitpick over when actually watching the movie with the pictures in motion.

But to my eye the blu ray looks better in the first 3 and the picture is almost the same in the fourth. The blu ray seems to have more natural skin tones and less digital noise. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

I think its just one more thing to add to the whole "might as well wait for double dip" attitude. Either an average to below average transfer or the looming director's cut being excluded would normally not be deal breakers for me but when they're combined I just don't see a point of spending any money on it.

[quote name='sunnysky']I'm sure not happy with Bluray.com's review of this.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention WB made Blu-Ray.com take down their screencaps, and replace them with pre-approved images from WB. :roll:

Damage control boys and girls. They know their product is subpar.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...eatrical-editions-comparison-pix-reviews.html

Tons (and I mean TONS) of screen caps here. While I personally didn't plan on buying the theatrical cuts on Blu it is a bit of a letdown to see New Line/Warner blow this release. This also puts a bit of a worry about when the extended cuts get released on Blu if we are going to see the DNR work be done to that as well.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1883031-post2.html

This example right here shows the ugly side of the Blu release. Gandalf's face looks like plastic on the Blu especially compared to the HDTV broadcast. Bleech.

[quote name='Demolition Man']http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...eatrical-editions-comparison-pix-reviews.html

Tons (and I mean TONS) of screen caps here. While I personally didn't plan on buying the theatrical cuts on Blu it is a bit of a letdown to see New Line/Warner blow this release. This also puts a bit of a worry about when the extended cuts get released on Blu if we are going to see the DNR work be done to that as well.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1883031-post2.html

This example right here shows the ugly side of the Blu release. Gandolf's face looks like plastic on the Blu especially compared to the HDTV broadcast. Bleech.[/QUOTE]

Hey, they can't get the transfers right, and you can't spell Gandalf. Nobody's perfect. :roll:

As is often the case, The Digital Bits says the whole DNR issue is being blown out of proportion.

I'm torn. On the one hand, the DVDs just don't impress anymore, and according to all counts the blurays are better (if only just). Also, I don't own a ridiculously large screen, so I may not notice the problems anyway.

On the other hand, I know what a good transfer looks like, and these clearly aren't. I don't much care for the packaging either.

I think I'll wait. If nothing else they'll probably be released individually (I'd prefer seperate cases) and with any luck we'll get news of a re-mastering.

[quote name='Tybee']Hey, they can't get the transfers right, and you can't spell Gandalf. Nobody's perfect. :roll:[/QUOTE]

bahahahahahaha!

and I'm a very sad panda for not living in Canada and getting that $18.99 deal :(

[quote name='Tybee']Hey, they can't get the transfers right, and you can't spell Gandalf. Nobody's perfect. :roll:[/QUOTE]

The difference is that you don't have to pay $60 to see his misspelled post.

[quote name='Penguin1084']bahahahahahaha!

and I'm a very sad panda for not living in Canada and getting that $18.99 deal :([/QUOTE]

Sorry bro, maybe next time. :cry:

Shit happens. But there's no need to be a jackass about it.

[quote name='Allnatural']As is often the case, The Digital Bits says the whole DNR issue is being blown out of proportion.[/quote]

Which in turn is pretty typical of Bill Hunt. I guess he doesn't want to offend the studios who send him all those free copies to review on his blog.

I'm torn. On the one hand, the DVDs just don't impress anymore, and according to all counts the blurays are better (if only just). Also, I don't own a ridiculously large screen, so I may not notice the problems anyway.

Sadly I noticed the DNR on Gladiator on my meager 40 inch Samsung. Yeah some of the screen caps for the LOTR trilogy look semi decent which I'll give credit where its due. On the other hand semi decent shouldn't be the best thing I can say when it comes to LOTR. The PQ on the trilogy should be nothing short of fantastic as even if these are the theatrical cut they beg to be given the best presentation possible.

That's my stance and I'm sticking with it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']The PQ on the trilogy should be nothing short of fantastic as even if these are the theatrical cut they beg to be given the best presentation possible.[/QUOTE]
Yup. The double-dip is annoying, but I'm one of the few who prefers the theatrical cuts. There's no reason these should have been given a slapdash release (and there's no guarantee the EE's will be better).

My biggest complaint right now is the pisspoor packaging. 2 bluray cases, 6 discs in one, 3 in the other. Seriously, couldn't splurge on throwing in a third case for us WB? When you're making it blatantly obvious your going to force the fans into buying it all over again a year down the road, do you really need to be cheap assholes like that?

[quote name='abouttandoutt']Didnt they already come out with this stuff 6 years ago[/QUOTE]

Lord of the Rings on bluray....? No.

The plastic stickerbook isn't worth the plastic and paper it was made from. One of my worst purchases ever.

[quote name='Stele']The plastic stickerbook isn't worth the plastic and paper it was made from. One of my worst purchases ever.[/QUOTE]

so something you got for free is one of your worst purchases ever...

must make some awesome purchases in that case...

[quote name='dabamus']Why does BB.com say it is a 9 disc set? Is that just a typo or did something change?[/QUOTE]

3 Blu-Rays for the movies + 3 bonus DVD materials discs + 3 digital copy disc = 9 total.

[quote name='opterasis']My biggest complaint right now is the pisspoor packaging. 2 bluray cases, 6 discs in one, 3 in the other. Seriously, couldn't splurge on throwing in a third case for us WB? When you're making it blatantly obvious your going to force the fans into buying it all over again a year down the road, do you really need to be cheap assholes like that?[/QUOTE]

No. I'll show you why:

Each movie is two discs:
1 BD + 1 DVD

So it's:
Fellowship: 1 BD + 1 DVD
Two Towers: 1 BD + 1 DVD
King: 1 BD + 1 DVD
Digital Copies (3)

But WAIT!

Digital copies are Limited time only. So as soon as they stop pressing them, they don't include the nice outer box and sell just the 6 disc set in stores. If they split it up differently (1 BD + 1 DVD + 1DC) inside the current box, they would be selling them individually with 3 different SKUs and Warner HATES that. They always start with boxsets (see Matrix, Austin Powers, TMNT, Oceans etc.) because there is more money in it for them to get people to buy 3 movies instead of 1 or 2. I think the 6 disc set even has a SKU on it.

Warner :lol:

bread's done
Back