Lost Oddyssey or Blue Dragon

Gbear09

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I just blazed through Eternal Sonata, and was not a fan of it (specially the ending) and am looking for a new 360 rpg. Right now I own Lost Oddyssey and Blue Dragon. Which one should I jump into next?

[quote name='KingBroly']I will pose a question to you: What do you prefer: Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest?[/QUOTE]

Well said. This is the correct answer.

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I jumped into LO and the first scene is intense. Definitely liking it. And I love both FF and DQ, I just wished DQ didn't have so much level griding!

Good choice. Lost Odyessy is excellent. Kaim is a awesome main character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree, Lost Odyssey is a pretty epic game while Blue Dragon is more of an acquired taste in my opinion.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Tales of Vesperia!

Oh that wasn't a choice ... Definately Lost Odyssey then.

:)[/QUOTE]

I hated Tales of Vesperia. Just couldn't get into it at all.

Lost Odyssey is really good. Star Ocean was decent, but a massive time sink for achievements.

I missed one item in LO so my game isn't complete. :(

[quote name='mykevermin']Lost Odyssey is a must play.

Blue Dragon is an "if you must" play.

;)[/QUOTE]

Ha!

But yeah, Lost Odyssey is a great RPG. The battles can feel a bit slow and the load times are a bit on the long/excessive side (even with the install) but the story is decent and the "dreams" (which are mini side-stories about the main character, not part of the main story) were great. I also liked the music.

Blue Dragon was a bit too average. Tales of Vesperia is worth checking out if you want another option.

Lost Odyssey has crappy controls and boring battles, that said it's the closest thing there is to classic Final Fantasy. It's not a bad game overall, it just has bad art direction, a bad interface and stale gameplay.

[quote name='willardhaven']Lost Odyssey has crappy controls and boring battles, that said it's the closest thing there is to classic Final Fantasy. It's not a bad game overall, it just has bad art direction, a bad interface and stale gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the gameplay of the classic FF games. The art isn't bad, just some of the character designs.

After sinking a few hours into it LO, I really like it. The dream stories are great stories in their own sense and the fighting is pretty decent. It was nice having a boss hand my ass to me (the first one) for a change. I'm just hoping that this game (in all of its four disc glory) won't feel like a waste of time like ES did.

I'm of the type that few games can beat classic SNES FF. And MSU Hitman, I do own Tales of Vesperia, but for some reason it just didn't click in my mind that it was an RPG. Maybe when I finish LO up I'll create a new thread asking about BD or Tales of Vesperia lol (and the original Mass Effect, damn backlog is too big!). I was thinking about picking up Star Ocean, until I heard about the international version...

To tell you the truth I really, really enjoyed Blue Dragon. (I'm still waiting for a good amount of time to devote to LO.) BD isn't for everyone but I really enjoyed it. It had a classic RPG feel to it and I really, really enjoyed the dungeon layouts and the classic turn base battles. Sure it has many flaws; Too kiddie (but it also gives it charm,) horrid boss music (I learned to keep some custom soundtrack music in queue for boss fights,) a cliche 16-bit RPG story (not a bad story, just a simple story) and way too easy difficulty (fixed with free DLC.)

If you are an old school RPG gamer give it a shot (it doesn't start getting great until disk 2.)

I thought BD was horrible.

LO was great though. The only annoying part was the sometimes slow loading. I thought the story and the characters played out rather well, even beyond the dream sequences.

I might be alone in this, but i really enjoyed Blue Dragon, once you get past the first disc the game really opens up. But is till really enjoyed LO as well, but they are very different from one another.

BD has been getting alot of hate. I've been playing it for the last few days and I forgot how fun it was. If you want a long, traditional style JRPG then Blue Dragon is a fine game. It's not without flaws, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

But I will say I got burnt out, thus letting it sit for 2 years. And don't expect to get a majority of the acheivments till disc 3. I played about 60 hours and had only 30 nerd points.

[quote name='Rodimus']BD has been getting alot of hate. I've been playing it for the last few days and I forgot how fun it was. If you want a long, traditional style JRPG then Blue Dragon is a fine game. It's not without flaws, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

But I will say I got burnt out, thus letting it sit for 2 years. And don't expect to get a majority of the acheivments till disc 3. I played about 60 hours and had only 30 nerd points.[/QUOTE]

A big chunk of the cheevos is maxing out all the classes. I maxed out a couple but had no desire to try the rest. I'm still debating on if I should play through all of LO again to get that stupid treasure chest cheev...

[quote name='mike.m']A big chunk of the cheevos is maxing out all the classes. I maxed out a couple but had no desire to try the rest. I'm still debating on if I should play through all of LO again to get that stupid treasure chest cheev...[/QUOTE]

There's a field barrier trick to maxing out the classes, but it still takes some diligence.

[quote name='Rodimus']There's a field barrier trick to maxing out the classes, but it still takes some diligence.[/QUOTE]

Yeah did that for a couple classes but just didn't like the idea of leaving the box going for that long. I think this was before I got my elite.

[quote name='Rodimus']BD has been getting alot of hate. I've been playing it for the last few days and I forgot how fun it was. If you want a long, traditional style JRPG then Blue Dragon is a fine game. It's not without flaws, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

But I will say I got burnt out, thus letting it sit for 2 years. And don't expect to get a majority of the acheivments till disc 3. I played about 60 hours and had only 30 nerd points.[/QUOTE]

Very true, Once i got to the laser mini game and couldn't get perfect after about 6hours i put the game down for about a year, then i picked it back up again, and eventually got my perfect achievement and then i kept rolling through the game to get all 1000 points. The 2nd half of the game is definitely where it shines. But once you get the field barrier leveling up isnt that hard but a bit time consuming still.

Another one for LO. I really like LO. But to be fair I didn't give BD a fair shot, I got about 5 hours in, then picked up Mass Effect, and BD never saw my 360 again.

bread's done
Back