LOST Season 5 Discussion - 5/13: The Incident -

[quote name='willardhaven']I am pretty sure Miles was correct, I've been thinking it since Daniel came up with his ridiculous plan. They created exactly what they were trying to stop. The only question is when does Richard "watch them all die".[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you're "pretty sure" about it. We won't know until next season! =[ We don't even know if the flash ending was the bomb or a time flash. I have the same feeling when Miles said that, but I don't know anymore. It's LOST.. who knows.

I'm curious to why Jacob replied to Ben, "What about you?" Is Ben just pure evil, even though he was manipulated by smokey/fake Locke? I thought he would've said something to Ben with more significant value than that. Jacob's big F U to Ben, haha.

Yeah that was kind of mean, it seemed out of character for Jacob (even though it was his first episode). By pretty sure I mean, that's what I think. Lost could always throw a curve ball, which is why I like the show. How on earth did
Juliet survive that fall? The hole seemed like it was miles deep.

[quote name='eastshore4']I liked the episode, quite a bit actually. I'm kinda surprised people are upset about being strung along and not getting a satisfying conclusion at the end... I mean, that's been the show's modus operandi since day one.
[/QUOTE]

I was fine with the Jacob ending, the 1977 ending with the flash and then an eye opening was lame. Hearkened back to the season 1 ending with just seeing the ladder going down into the hatch.

They'd done better in subsequent finales of showing you more of what happened--but not too much. i.e. that Jack and Kate etc. were off the island at the end of season 3, that the Island vanished when the wheel was turned at the end of season 4 etc.

I'd have liked it more if they showed them waking up on the island, or as the plane landed at LAX etc., as it was a lame cock tease of an ending as is. They could show where they went without giving away what happened next and that would have left more more satisfied and more stoked for next season.

[quote name='slidecage']Cant remember was the statue complete back in the 70s or just the foot.... Maybe the bomb destoryed it.[/QUOTE]

Ben said the statue was like that when he got to the Island--which was as a child in the earlier 70s. So the bomb couldn't have destroyed it.

[quote name='evanft']Most of the episode was crap. They basically had 15 minutes of real plot to tell, minus the flashbacks.[/QUOTE]

Yup...and the ending...come on...just a white flash!? Did it go off or was it just the title scene? :bomb:

So that broken circle on the hut they burned...could it have been there to keep Jacob's enemy in...having the seal broken set him free, parading around like Jack's dead father and...Locke? So back to the first time we saw the cabin, when Ben took him there...I don't think that was Jacob giving him any direction at all, I think it was Jacob's nemesis.

Didn't they show on that episode that someone walked over the "ash" and broke the circle? I could have sworn I've seen them focus on that on an episode.

Didn't care for the finale one bit. While the introduction of Jacob and his nemesis was great, the rest of the episode seemed to have gone down hill from there. They left so much open for the final season it annoys me. And to think they'll also be bringing back Claire it just makes it more frustrating.

What I think really gets me going is the paradox that Miles points out, i.e what if what they do to try and change the future is what they were destined to do all along, like jack not saving Ben as a child. Thats what stuck with me the most of this past season. Which sucks because actually thinking of said paradox can make you go cross eyed.

It just reminds me of Jak and Daxter (which is probably derivative from something else). Jak goes into the future to send himself to the past, to save the future, to travel to the past and create the city/arrangements for the future (which is his past).

it was good, but it wasnt great. i was hoping for more.

the beginning with jacob and his nemesis was good, but it all ended so fast with jacob dying at the end.

i hope sayid isnt dead.

at the end he said, theyre coming. i assume thats the losties that are back in time, he went and met with them all and seem to "choose" them. but theres a couple of flaws there, they didnt show him meet miles or hurley, which was odd. he also visited john who, evidently, is actually dead. sooo yeah. i can only assume this is the war thats coming, but i dont see whos on whos side... it seems like everyone is on jacobs side...

which brings us to illyana and the ajira crew, they seem to be on jacobs side and in coherts with richard, so who are the bad guys then?

in juliets flashback there was no jacob, and she is apprantly going to die. i guess she might show up in season 6, but hey who knows, she looked as dead as sayid.

illyana and the ajiras were talking about a candidate and frank as a possible one. im guessing this is going to be a big focal point for the final season, but we have 8 months to guess what the candidate is for

other random thoughts

i feel bad for sawyer, his character changed so much this season and i thought he did a good job in this episdoe showing his heart break when juliet sacrificed herself so he could get away. good scene

i thought jacobs death was quick and annoying, so many unanswered questions that i think will stay that way because they killed him off instead.

ben stabbing jacob was a bad scene, it looks like a frail girl fighting with a knife, i dont see how a stab like that could have even broken skin

damn lost....

Yeah, some weird and crazy stuff happened, but I would like to point something out about the Jack/Sawyer fight scene, and why Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.

1. Sawyer suckerpunches Jack.
2. Jack then fights back, and knocks Sawyer down TWICE.
3. After the second time he gets knocked down, Sawyer, being the pussy bitch that he is, kicks another man in the fucking balls. The balls, people.

Once again, Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.

god i hate jack. sawyer was going easy on him, we all know sawyer could have killed him if he wanted. and theres nothing wrong with kicking someone in the balls if theyre trying to set off an abomb.

i had another thought, i was so happy to see phil die and it was an awesome death. steel pole through the chest via super magnetism. awesome.

Ben stabbing reminded me of the shower scene from Psycho. Juliet was really depressing, I still want to know how she survived a fall like that.

[quote name='willardhaven']Ben stabbing reminded me of the shower scene from Psycho. Juliet was really depressing, I still want to know how she survived a fall like that.[/QUOTE]

This boggles my mind. A group have people have been skipping through time, there's a giant monster made of black smoke, there are two John Lockes on the island, and Richard Alpert never ages.

All that, and the one question I've seen asked more than any other is "How did Juliet not die from the fall?". Like that's the one thing from this series that requires the greatest suspension of disbelief. :lol:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']This boggles my mind. A group have people have been skipping through time, there's a giant monster made of black smoke, there are two John Lockes on the island, and Richard Alpert never ages.

All that, and the one question I've seen asked more than any other is "How did Juliet not die from the fall?". Like that's the one thing from this series that requires the greatest suspension of disbelief. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair, most of the stuff was explained through seemingly supernatural/spirtual things. But when people have gotten shot, crushed by a plane etc. they have died and stayed dead. So it is harder to stomach Juliet surviving that fall when they showed no intervention by smokey etc.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
they didnt show him meet miles or hurley, which was odd. he also visited john who, evidently, is actually dead. sooo yeah. i can only assume this is the war thats coming, but i dont see whos on whos side... it seems like everyone is on jacobs side...
[/QUOTE]

1. He did visit and touch Hurley. Remember he was waiting in the taxi when Hurley was released from prison.

2. Miles wasn't one of the orginal Losties--so he was brought the island by Widmore. So he's not one of Jacob's choosen one's or whatever the hell the people he visited are.

[quote name='mooshie78']1. He did visit and touch Hurley. Remember he was waiting in the taxi when Hurley was released from prison.

2. Miles wasn't one of the orginal Losties--so he was brought the island by Widmore. So he's not one of Jacob's choosen one's or whatever the hell the people he visited are.[/QUOTE]

yup, youre right, my bad.

yeah, i know he didnt touch miles, i just hope miles doesnt meet a similar fate to juliette, i like miles.

just for fun

picture1egv.jpg

[quote name='MisterModest']Yeah, some weird and crazy stuff happened, but I would like to point something out about the Jack/Sawyer fight scene, and why Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.

3. After the second time he gets knocked down, Sawyer, being the pussy bitch that he is, kicks another man in the fucking balls. The balls, people.

Once again, Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.[/QUOTE]

Counterpoint: Jack hardly ever stops crying

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So that broken circle on the hut they burned...could it have been there to keep Jacob's enemy in...having the seal broken set him free, parading around like Jack's dead father and...Locke? So back to the first time we saw the cabin, when Ben took him there...I don't think that was Jacob giving him any direction at all, I think it was Jacob's nemesis.

Didn't they show on that episode that someone walked over the "ash" and broke the circle? I could have sworn I've seen them focus on that on an episode.[/QUOTE]

Remember we saw Horace building the cabin in Locke's dream. Maybe members of Dharma were recruited to help protect the island after all, and built a 'prison' for the Smoke Monster?

[quote name='MisterModest']Yeah, some weird and crazy stuff happened, but I would like to point something out about the Jack/Sawyer fight scene, and why Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.

Once again, Jack is a badass motherfucker, and Sawyer is a pussy bitch.[/QUOTE]
Man I'm not a huge Jack fan but this has to be one of the best posts I've ever read :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='slidecage']

who knows , maybe next season they all will be running around naked

Best part of the entire series was when Hugo why desmond was running around the jungle naked lol

[/QUOTE]

haha, the best part of the series is Desmond. He better play a big role in the final season. Mr. " The Constant"

secondly, jack is annoying and should have died in the first season with boone

It was a good episode. Too bad we didn't get more ansewers. But its lost what are are you going to do?

I loved that guy getting impaled by the Rebar. I thought for sure Siad was going to die. We'll see if Rose, Bernard and Vincent make the next time shift.

I know Vincent was suposed to be a part of the lost mythology. So it will be interesting to see if they leave those folks in 1977.

Is there going to be any Lost related events while we wait for the 2010 season? If not, then I'll see you all next year. Have a good 4th, halloween, thanksgving, xmas & NYE.

[quote name='munch']Someone actually likes Jack? :shock:[/QUOTE]
For me, he's the main and central character of the show. I know people love Locke, or Desmond, etc., I do too, but Jack is #1. He's the Jack Bauer, Dexter Morgan, etc. of the show. I also think it's super cool Matthew Fox is the only cast member who knows the ending of the show. And that probably annoys the Jack-haters even more.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']This boggles my mind. A group have people have been skipping through time, there's a giant monster made of black smoke, there are two John Lockes on the island, and Richard Alpert never ages.

All that, and the one question I've seen asked more than any other is "How did Juliet not die from the fall?". Like that's the one thing from this series that requires the greatest suspension of disbelief. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The hole was so deep that Jack couldn't even hear the bomb drop. Yet she was able to wake up a few minutes after falling with the added velocity of giant chains. The show has supernatural magic, which is what I think saved her, but it wasn't indicated. I'll suspend my disbelief, but come on.

Something I was thinking about today at work: Miles' episode when he was walking down the street and was abducted by Bram. Bram was trying to recruit Miles that night. Why? Obviously for his ability to speak with the dead. Did they know Jacob would have to die? Or just who was he needing Miles to communicate with?

[quote name='willardhaven']The hole was so deep that Jack couldn't even hear the bomb drop. Yet she was able to wake up a few minutes after falling with the added velocity of giant chains. The show has supernatural magic, which is what I think saved her, but it wasn't indicated. I'll suspend my disbelief, but come on.[/QUOTE]

Added mass doesn't necessarily add to the velocity of a fall. Everything falls at the same speed, the only thing it would change is the terminal velocity. In which case, it would be a question of whether or not the fall was long enough to surpass her original terminal velocity.
Not that she should have survived either way.

[quote name='jaso']Something I was thinking about today at work: Miles' episode when he was walking down the street and was abducted by Bram. Bram was trying to recruit Miles that night. Why? Obviously for his ability to speak with the dead. Did they know Jacob would have to die? Or just who was he needing Miles to communicate with?[/QUOTE]

I thought they were trying to stop him from going to the island and working for Widmore, not necessarily recruiting him? =/

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Added mass doesn't necessarily add to the velocity of a fall. Everything falls at the same speed, the only thing it would change is the terminal velocity. In which case, it would be a question of whether or not the fall was long enough to surpass her original terminal velocity.
Not that she should have survived either way.[/QUOTE]

Well I think the metal's magnetism would be what added to the speed of her fall.

Ok, I've read through most of the posts on "The Incident" and I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Juliet appears to be pregnant in this episode. First, her boobs look unusually large all of a sudden. Second, she refuses Bernard's offer of tea, most likely because of the caffeine. Third, as she leaves to follow Sawyer and Kate from Bernard and Rose's camp she instinctively places her hand on her belly. This is something that pregnant women do when they sense potential danger to their baby. Finally, it totally explains the reason she survived the fall: She's carrying Jacob inside of her. The blast surely teleports her to the distant past where she will give birth to Jacob. That's her eye we see at the end of the episode with the white background. She can't die from the fall, because she was always destined to be transported to the past to give birth to Jacob. What happened, happened and can't be changed.

There was water at the bottom. Maybe it was flooded. And when she landed the water was splashed away. Like when fat chicks jump in the pool and it's empty afterwards.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Ok, I've read through most of the posts on "The Incident" and I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Juliet appears to be pregnant in this episode. First, her boobs look unusually large all of a sudden. Second, she refuses Bernard's offer of tea, most likely because of the caffeine. Third, as she leaves to follow Sawyer and Kate from Bernard and Rose's camp she instinctively places her hand on her belly. This is something that pregnant women do when they sense potential danger to their baby. Finally, it totally explains the reason she survived the fall: She's carrying Jacob inside of her. The blast surely teleports her to the distant past where she will give birth to Jacob. That's her eye we see at the end of the episode with the white background. She can't die from the fall, because she was always destined to be transported to the past to give birth to Jacob. What happened, happened and can't be changed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they were hinting at a pregnancy, she might be alive next season via warp. Or some kind of Jacob healing power might come into effect... although he's sort of preoccupied.

Maybe the radiation will turn Juliet into the Invisible Woman to go along with Jacob's Human Torch. Bram could somehow become the Thing because he's big and dumb, and Faraday could be resurrected as Mr. Fantastic.

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm quite bummed they killed
Juliette, of course depending on the aftermath of the bomb and how it effects future events, we may see her again.

Well, it seems pretty clear
that Locke isn't Locke, and the Smoke Monster has often appeared as dead people. That would explain why the smoke-Alex told Ben to do whatever "Locke" said. The fact that Jacob referred to it as his loophole makes me think that this is correct.

That, and it would also explain why 2 people were allowed to enter. If Locke really is dead, that would make Ben the leader again by default, right? Meaning he really was allowed an audience with Jacob, but was deceived into killing him by the Smoke Monster.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Segasonic01']I agree with JohnnyPark.
Locke has to be smokey. Like Christian, he has become a Persona of Jacob's. Who says Christian's body isnt out there somewhere, they just never found it. It WAS smokey who said to Ben to do whatever "Locke" says, so that could've set up Jacob's demise. However, I really did hate to see Jacob killed off so soon after being introduced. I wanna see what he can do, dammit!
[/QUOTE]

agreed on all accounts.

[quote name='johnnypark']Apparently the translation of Richard's answer to 'what lies in the shadow of the statue' is 'he who will save us all.'

http://www.lost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9319

Now that we've seen more of the statue, anyone know WTF it was?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Segasonic01']No. What was it?!?![/QUOTE]

[quote name='KongaKing']That statue is not Anubis. Anubis would weigh the heart of the dead on a scale, with a feather. If the heart was lighter than a feather, they would go on to "Heaven" and if it was not, it would be thrown to an alligator type creature. I don't remember what it's name was, but that's what the statue was. It had alligator teeth and all that. It wasn't the face of anubis.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit[/QUOTE]

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm pretty sure it's

Also, the hieroglyphic is of Anubis.[/QUOTE]

according to TV Guide's interview with lindolf and cuse, the statue is pregnant and the statue symbolized birth and renewal (among other stuff)

and from TV Guide's recap, the latin phrase Richard responded is "That which we protect"

[quote name='pacifickarma']Ok, I've read through most of the posts on "The Incident" and I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Juliet appears to be pregnant in this episode. First, her boobs look unusually large all of a sudden. Second, she refuses Bernard's offer of tea, most likely because of the caffeine. Third, as she leaves to follow Sawyer and Kate from Bernard and Rose's camp she instinctively places her hand on her belly. This is something that pregnant women do when they sense potential danger to their baby. Finally, it totally explains the reason she survived the fall: She's carrying Jacob inside of her. The blast surely teleports her to the distant past where she will give birth to Jacob. That's her eye we see at the end of the episode with the white background. She can't die from the fall, because she was always destined to be transported to the past to give birth to Jacob. What happened, happened and can't be changed.[/QUOTE]

I brought this up a few pages back:
[quote name='jaso']

Was it just me, or were there hints speckled througout that episode that maybe Juliet was pregnant? She kept holding her stomach, and she had a weird exchange of glances with Bernard when he offered her some tea.
[/QUOTE]

One more thing, I also think tea has caffeine in it ... could be wrong. But if it does, as a doctor, Juliet would know she's not supposed to drink it. Especially as a fertility doctor.

I only know because my wife is pregnant right now and would just as soon kill you for a Diet Pepsi.

Unrelated to that, but I was thinking about it more, and now I'm thinking maybe Locke is NOT the smoke monster. The producers may want us to believe that what we’re dealing with is a manifestation of the smoke monster, but I’m thinking it might be more like a John Locke from a different future or an alternate reality. If you watch Fringe, another JJ Abrams series, they just brought the concept of alternate realities into play. I think it would be the scientific explanation, whereas a manifestation of the smoke monster would be the spiritual explanation.

[quote name='jaso']

I brought this up a few pages back:

One more thing, I also think tea has caffeine in it ... could be wrong. But if it does, as a doctor, Juliet would know she's not supposed to drink it. Especially as a fertility doctor.

I only know because my wife is pregnant right now and would just as soon kill you for a Diet Pepsi.

Unrelated to that, but I was thinking about it more, and now I'm thinking maybe Locke is NOT the smoke monster. The producers may want us to believe that what we’re dealing with is a manifestation of the smoke monster, but I’m thinking it might be more like a John Locke from a different future or an alternate reality. If you watch Fringe, another JJ Abrams series, they just brought the concept of alternate realities into play. I think it would be the scientific explanation, whereas a manifestation of the smoke monster would be the spiritual explanation.[/QUOTE]

They hint that Locke is the guy from the beginning when Jacob says "I guess you found your loophole"

[quote name='willardhaven']The hole was so deep that Jack couldn't even hear the bomb drop. Yet she was able to wake up a few minutes after falling with the added velocity of giant chains. The show has supernatural magic, which is what I think saved her, but it wasn't indicated. I'll suspend my disbelief, but come on.[/QUOTE]
Well this isn't the first time that the island has saved someone from a large fall, I mean, the show started with a plane crash, and Jack even fell out of the plane before it crashed. The only time it's ever been insinuated that the island saved them from dying then was a single comment from Sayid in the first season, before we even knew the island could do that.

I'm hoping they do a series reset back to crash day but with the dharmaville folk and the oceanic six all having the prior memories. I want Locke back and alive to his normal self. If it does do a reboot like that then maybe Jacob would be back to being alive since it's three years prior. That's why he wasn't too worried at the end.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy must they end it there!!!? :bomb:

*just watched it*

[quote name='BarbblerElf']They hint that Locke is the guy from the beginning when Jacob says "I guess you found your loophole"[/QUOTE]

Wow, you just blew my mind. What was the loophole?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow, you just blew my mind. What was the loophole?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't kill Jacob himself but could manipulate someone who'd beeen touched/healed by Jacob into doing it, presumably.

[quote name='Magus8472']Couldn't kill Jacob himself but could manipulate someone who'd beeen touched/healed by Jacob into doing it, presumably.[/QUOTE]
Ahh, I see. But I thought Locke was the guy at the beginning - so... how did he turn into the smoke monster?

I'm so confused...

I think the show creators are getting sloppy trying to hold the plot together in order to wrap it up. Maybe if the assholes focused more on Lost rather than side projects. Abrams needs to cash his Star Trek check and get the fuck back to working on Lost fulltime so the last season doesn't wind up like Indiana Jones 4.

Abrams hasn't done shit on Lost since Season 1 other than a writing credit on the Season 3 opener. It's Lindelof and Cuse's baby.

[quote name='mooshie78']Abrams hasn't done shit on Lost since Season 1 other than a writing credit on the Season 3 opener. It's Lindelof and Cuse's baby.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ahh, I see. But I thought Locke was the guy at the beginning - so... how did he turn into the smoke monster?

I'm so confused...[/QUOTE]

WARNING
May Contain spoilers about previous episodes along with substantial information about some of the events that happened last episode.

Warning #2
Information may be mushed together and hard to understand or may have no point at all. Read at risk of intelligence.
The guy at the beginning can take on different forms. When the Losties return to the island he takes the form of Locke. Then when Ben wanted to be judged he took him to the temple so they would be separated and Ben would be trapped alone. He then walked away and transformed into Alex and told Ben he has to follow "Locke" or he will be destroyed. I am almost positive he is the "Christian" that has been giving orders. He has been trying to get Locke killed since he was the one to tell Richard to tell Locke that he would have to die to get Jack and the others back. Then he takes the form of christian when Locke falls down the well to guide him off the island. What I would like to know is if he is omnipresent throughout all of time on the island or if he is like Richard and just learns/plans what happens as time passes.

There's also a good chance that he took the form of Walt when Locke was shot by Ben and left in the Darmah Pit. He didn't want Locke dead until he was the leader and was able to get an Audience with Jacob.

Even though he can shape shift I am not too positive he is the smoke monster. I assume it is an actual entity that the (Jacob Enemy) can control. The reason is that he is trapped within the cabin until one of the Losties free him by breaking the seal of ash. I remember Locke touching the ash when Ben took him to the cabin, but I cannot remember if he broke the seal or not. If he was trapped in the cabin until one of the Losties breaks the seal then he would not be able to get out and since the Hostels knew about the smoke monster way before the Losties came to the island, it would be hard for it to be the guy, since he is imprisoned. It would make sense though since when Locke enters the Guy asks for Locke's help. I am not too sure if the cry for help was asking for Freedom or for help killing Jacob. After Locke leaves the cabin we start to see "Christian" more.

Hmmm, actually we see him in the beginning when Jack thinks he is going crazy. I wonder if the guy is actually trapped in the cabin rather than just staying there. The seal could also have been broken before the Losties got to the island.

There are a few questions I would like answered. Why did Jacob want the other Losties to come back to the island. I think they needed to come back because they needed to be transported to the past. Seems Daniel was wrong and you cannot change the past. That's the only reason I can think of why Jacob wants the losties to come back. He tells Hurley to go back to the island, he makes Sayid's wife get hit by the car when he asks for Directions.

{That confuses me. I wonder how Ben took advantage of this. Did he know it was going to happen and then made Sayid become his mercinary; or did he just take advantage of the situation when he learned that his wife was killed. Maybe Ben was in on it all along, including the part when he Killed Jacob to "trick" the other guy. Or maybe to free Jacob. As others has said Lapidus could be the body he will take over. I don't think that's what he is the canidate for, I assume since Locke is dead, they want to make him their new leader.( Maybe not since Leaders are selected when they are children, except for Locke)}

Now getting Jack and the others back to the island will ruin the peace that Sawyer and friends have and start the incident that is destined to happen.(Including the bomb)

Wow getting late. Sorry this isn't organized and some of it is mushed together. Also, I forgot a lot of what I was about to write as I was typing. As they say the mind moves faster than you can write/type. It's just some random thoughts about the shows events and the mysterious guy.

[quote name='BarbblerElf']

Hmmm, actually we see him in the beginning when Jack thinks he is going crazy. I wonder if the guy is actually trapped in the cabin rather than just staying there. The seal could also have been broken before the Losties got to the island.[/QUOTE]

Go watch the Missing Pieces videos on abc.com - particularly the first one with Christian.

bread's done
Back