lying cheating & buggy game rant(thread)

[quote name='waldo21212']NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, and most other Midway arcade games cheated hardcore.

No fumbles or int's and up by 21 in Blitz with 1 minute left? Not so fast there, time for the AI to throw 4 - 75 yard TD's.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the commercials were awesome. I.got the new blitz and it seems to have similiar qualities,not as bad though, that I can tell. Does the new NBA Jam?

[quote name='defpally']The original NBA Jam had built in adjustment to shot percentage. It added 1 percent for every point you were down by. If you were getting crushed it would get to the point where all you would have to do is get the ball in the air and it would go in and the AI took advantage of it. You could literally see it because there was an arcade code that would show shot percentage chance. I would assume Blitz did the same with pass completion since it had many of the same guys that worked on it.[/QUOTE]

I never noticed this back in the day but a friend pointed it out recently and we fired up a game. Sure enough I was beating him the entire game until the 4th quarter and the ball was finding the basket every time while I was missing all my shots. I guess it makes the game more competitive and interesting, but the boost seemed much to drastic.

I hate fighting games where the end boss always has magical powers, can block you mid attack and has 4 times the health. DOA3, Power Stone, Tekken im looking at you. DOA3 is the worst because you get a messed up camera just for this boss to content with too.

A little while ago I 100%'ed Midnight Club II for the second time. So many restarts due to bullshit car flipping caused by the random traffic and AI whose sole purpose is to make you rage. The slightest bump can send you back to the pause menu hitting restart. The AI had the ability to make you fishtail your car whilst you couldn't do the same to them. The bullshit level is right up there with the Motorstorm games and its ridiculous rubberband AI and "oops I flipped because of a pebble" physics.

Also maybe I suck at card games, but in Magic the Gathering Planeswalker series the AI would pick the best cards... I guess I just have to believe in the "heart of the cards" next time.

The SNK boss Syndrome. fuck all of you. I'll have a special hatred in my heart for 95' Rugal.

5495_144365480409_770240409_3360610_2616560_n.jpg

The thing about arcade games is they are designed to make their operator money, so they are a whole different beast than a console game.

[quote name='waldo21212']NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, and most other Midway arcade games cheated hardcore.

No fumbles or int's and up by 21 in Blitz with 1 minute left? Not so fast there, time for the AI to throw 4 - 75 yard TD's.[/QUOTE]

This. I dont remember anything as crazy as the blitz comeback. Interception or fumble every possession if you went up by more than 2 or 3 scores.

Okay, I just remembered something that happened years ago while while dating my wife. She witnessedbthe ordeal.

You ever see those prize dispensing electronic game/skill cabinets? My local theater had one, where the screen would have a random maze and you would have to trace the way through the maze faster than the machine. It cost a few bucks and had stuff like PSPs and NDS's and $140 Nikon Cameras in it.

I played and beat it three times. It also had a countdown timer to show how long until the machine won the "race". Every time, I would get through the maze and not touch any wall 3-5 second s before the timer ended, and as soon as I did, it would jump from 3-5 to 0 and say "you lost".

I got ticked. I got the theater manager who said I obviously was touching the walls or not doing it right, he had played and its hard. I told him to watch, so he did. I beat it by 5 seconds that time, and it jumped to zero and said I lost.

He seemed shocked I beat it so obviously and agreed something was wrong, and then said "well, those are owned by someone else so I can't do anything except offer your money back". I told him he needed to put a sign on it.

After the movie it was still on and some kids were playing it. I don't remember if I unplugged it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Mass Effect 1 Insanity Snipers gassed up on Liara plot armor thick ass Immunity spam. Well... at least until you can Lift + Throw them into outer f*cking space because "FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU fuckING DESERVE."

- CoD WoW's Spirit Bomb sized clusterf*ck of insta-spawning grenade icons on top of you. Why? Well... because.

- CoD MW2 campaign Attack Dogs and the suspiciously small window available to break their necks before they murder you. I swear killing something via CQC in a video game never felt so random since Gears of War MP off-host.

- AI Galford, Charlotte and Hanzo on ANY and EVERY Samurai Shodown 2 arcade cabinet. ...Pain. Pure pain.

I guess I just have to believe in the "heart of the cards" next time.
You mean blatantly cheat because that's literally what Yami Yugi did every chance his scheming ass got in that anime.

The SNK boss Syndrome. fuck all of you. I'll have a special hatred in my heart for 95' Rugal.
Amen.

uncharted 3. damn near every enemy had fucking perfect aim and occasionally youd be shot through walls.
Agreed. This can be said for all three Uncharted games. Combine that with the crappy shooting mechanics and endless waves of enemies, and you have a recipe for controller throwing frustration.

Okay, I just remembered something that happened years ago while while dating my wife. She witnessedbthe ordeal.

You ever see those prize dispensing electronic game/skill cabinets? My local theater had one, where the screen would have a random maze and you would have to trace the way through the maze faster than the machine. It cost a few bucks and had stuff like PSPs and NDS's and $140 Nikon Cameras in it.

I played and beat it three times. It also had a countdown timer to show how long until the machine won the "race". Every time, I would get through the maze and not touch any wall 3-5 second s before the timer ended, and as soon as I did, it would jump from 3-5 to 0 and say "you lost".

I got ticked. I got the theater manager who said I obviously was touching the walls or not doing it right, he had played and its hard. I told him to watch, so he did. I beat it by 5 seconds that time, and it jumped to zero and said I lost.

He seemed shocked I beat it so obviously and agreed something was wrong, and then said "well, those are owned by someone else so I can't do anything except offer your money back". I told him he needed to put a sign on it.

After the movie it was still on and some kids were playing it. I don't remember if I unplugged it or not.
"Games of skill" like that are almost always rigged against you. I worked in an arcade once and we had one of those claw games that picked up stuffed animals. The tension on the claws was sooo laughable when we opened it up and checked it out. You had to make a perfect grab to get something. The manager/owner used to see people (especially kids) that would dump money into it and if they put in a bunch of tries and never won he would go open it and let them have their pick out of pity.

It reminds me of carnival games. Like the basketball game with over-inflated balls and oval rims. Or shooting games with obviously off sights (like in an old Andy Griffith episode). Or the ring toss with the greased bowls/bottles.

Blitz the league. I could hardly finish a game by season two. Id be up 14-21 and the all of a sudden in the fourth quarter my Qb is throwing to the defense and the AI cannot make any mistakes on offense. Only game I've ever broken my controller due to frustration.

Bugs have shown up in the rants so I added it to the title. Let the BF4 rants start.

I'm sick of getting shot through (indestructable) walls, tanks, etc. I think I got killed with a 9mm handgun through a concrete wall once.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back