Madden 07 Reviews & General Discussion

[quote name='Maximo1324']/\ /\ Yeah those are funny. Like i said before this game REVOLUTIONIZES all football games to come. I would much rather play a 2k sports game than this Crap. 2k should make a NCAA football game since they are out of the NFL. I know they would be an overall better game. I hate madden ever since it came out on the next gen systems. I would much rather play TECMO BOWL than this.[/QUOTE]
EA has the NCAA and arena football licenses as well actually.

[quote name='daphatty']That isn't saying much my friend.[/QUOTE]

I know, but it's still a good football game on the field. Yes, menus are not that big of a deal....you learn to deal with it. The gameplay is pretty solid though. People just HATE EA and will find every little flaw.

All games usually have some kind of flaw. Now the fatigue thing is something that SHOULD get addressed. EA said they are working on a patch, so those messages may just be by "dumb" employees.

The game is good. I hate All-Pro mode; instead of making the game harder, it just makes it "cheaper." All-Pro just makes a random DE break through your O-line after the snap for no apparent reason, receivers drop two out of every five passes, and no time to pass.

It made it all worth it when Mike Alstott dragged a hapless CB five yards into the endzone though. :)

[quote name='2Fast']
It made it all worth it when Mike Alstott dragged a hapless CB five yards into the endzone though. :)[/QUOTE]

THAT's MY BOY! BIG MIKE!

[quote name='doubledown']I know, but it's still a good football game on the field. Yes, menus are not that big of a deal....you learn to deal with it. The gameplay is pretty solid though. People just HATE EA and will find every little flaw.

All games usually have some kind of flaw. Now the fatigue thing is something that SHOULD get addressed. EA said they are working on a patch, so those messages may just be by "dumb" employees.[/QUOTE]

Well its like microsoft. They got into all that trouble because they were monopolizing the industry. EA is doing the same. I love EA's MVP baseball and now I cant play it because 2k has that licence. I would much rather play MVP than MLB 2K6. I pick at this game because i would walk into gamestops and all of the managers would say that is was gonna be way better than 06. Its gonna be a whole new game. Which it is not. Added a few more animations on tackling, celebrations and changed the kick meter. Plus they added when you get tackled for a loss sometimes your players on the field clap. WTF? Everyone here serious put down what you like and dont like about the game. Let me see what everyone is loving so much about this game. Maybe it will open up my eyes.

[quote name='Maximo1324']Let me see what everyone is loving so much about this game. Maybe it will open up my eyes.[/quote]

It's fun

I'm still debating whether or not to buy this game.

+I love football
+Nothing that I'm really interested for the 360 comes out until November (Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War) and the two games I own right now are getting worn out. Madden might be something that serves as a bridge until the big boys come out.
+Fun dorm game -- moving into college (2nd year) next week
+Lot of friends I know to play online with

-Getting mediocre reviews
-I don't want to seem like one of those guys who gets suckered by EA into buying Madden every year (but really, I only own 2001, 2004, and 2005 from current-gen)
-I will probably only play this online
-Madden mania will probably wear off after a month like it does every year and will be selling cheaper.

What to do!?!

When it comes to actual gameplay, it's unequaled. The stuff that was missing from the game made me want to initially sell it, but after playing it on another system it felt like the same game. The 360 version is a whole new beast.

[quote name='Maximo1324'] Everyone here serious put down what you like and dont like about the game. Let me see what everyone is loving so much about this game. Maybe it will open up my eyes.[/QUOTE]
----------------------
Hate:
----------------------
Computer AI
Somehow expects a draw play on third-and 22? REALLY?

Unstoppable Plays
Those ridiculous up-the-gut-runs or passes in triple coverage that magically turn into 70-yard touchdowns. Puhlease. A game I played yesterday on All-Pro had Corey Dillon break THREE of those runs in the first quarter, each by trucking through between two and four LB/CB/SS/Whatever. 4 rushes, 175 yards and three TD and 1:35 left in the first quarter.

---------------------
---------------------
No More Safety Glitch
This was something that I saw in Madden and 2K, where the safety starts smoking the ganga and runs in the complete opposite direction to where the ball is thrown / breaks on some invisible pass going five yards short of the WR's current position.

---------------------
Love
---------------------

Superstar mode
Thinking two, three years down the line where 10 people play together on the same team in a massive online league... stat tracking more fun because everyone only plays one position... WRs calling out that theyre open thru headsets...

Until then, I'm having a blast playing QB and LB.

[quote name='WildWop']----------------------

Superstar mode
Thinking two, three years down the line where 10 people play together on the same team in a massive online league... stat tracking more fun because everyone only plays one position... WRs calling out that theyre open thru headsets...
[/QUOTE]

You just blew my mind with all the possibilities this has.

That's a great idea, WildWop. Hopefully EA will figure this out and maybe even implement it into the next Madden game. That would be a blast, there could be a CAG team, green and black of course with CheapyD's head as the logo.

I'm tempted just to get it for the superstar mode, but all the other issues I keep hearing are keeping me away. Plus there are a ton of games coming out in the next month I want.

[quote name='dcswirl']I'm tempted just to get it for the superstar mode, but all the other issues I keep hearing are keeping me away. Plus there are a ton of games coming out in the next month I want.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get the game JUST for the Superstar mode. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's definitely not worth the $60 pricetag.

Sweet idea. A MMORPG/Football hybrid. That'd kick ass if they had the off-field stuff as well. Something like Blitz or the SCEA sports games.

Anybody havvign problems with achivements. One of the achivements is Madden gamer level 2 and im already I'm to 5 or 6 and did not get that achivement.

I had a funny glitch happen, The other team was kicking to me when the announcer says "last kick off the cowboys fumbled on the return, lets see how they fair this time" Thing is I DID NOT FUMBLE at all last kick off, BUT! get this, as I catch the ball thinking WTF was the announcer talking about? I get hit at the 30 as usual and what happens? FUMBLE! The game PRE-DETERMINES these things that far in advance. That was lame.....hella lame.

[quote name='2Fast']So...uh...how do I change lengths of quarters in franchise mode?[/QUOTE]
Go back to the main menu (left on d-pad or analog stick) then go to My Madden, then Settings, then Gameplay, then press "A" on Game Rules to modify the game rules. First option in Game Rules is quarter length.

Maybe it's because I've just played the PS2 version til this year, but does anyone else find the navigation and such through the menus to be annoying and needlessly complicated. Some of the worst menu navigation I've seen to date for anything IMO...

I must be the only person who loves the new UI. For whatever reason, it's totally intuitive and easy to navigate for me.

My enjoyment of this game is quickly dwindling and slowly turning into complete frustration. Two games today. Two freezes. I don't know what the deal is and it better not be the console. Things start to stutter and before I know it, lock up.

The game, when it works, is quite fun though. Started Superstar w/ a MLB and the camera shift behind the defense is a refreshing change, though I suck at it. The points thing for it is pretty harsh though. You get negative points even if the AI on offense only gains 1yd on the play.

I have to say as well, that the new animations really add to the gameplay. Had control of a LB at snap, saw it was a run, dove into the opposing player as he came through the hole and what does he do? He hurdles me. Awesome.

[quote name='2Fast']God this game pisses me off. I can't stand the cheap A.I. in All-Pro even with sliders on.[/QUOTE]
The AI on All Madden is not cheap at all. Its actually very good just like NCAA 07. They are smart and you have to read the D. It makes for a great game of football. I'm loving this game. And I also like the new menus and such.

I like the new menus, I just can't stand how choppy it gets when switching menu screens or going from a replay to the playbook, etc.

[quote name='dcswirl']I'm tempted just to get it for the superstar mode, but all the other issues I keep hearing are keeping me away. Plus there are a ton of games coming out in the next month I want.[/quote]

Don't. Superstar mode is horrible and buggy. Some of the camera angles make it unplayable. Just horrible. Wanna buy mine?

So, when does EA put rosters out? Opening day hopefully? I cannot stand the Lions roster....especially since the WR situation is a mess right now.

So anyone care to help explain the menu system to the idiots like me out there? I can see that it's fairly structured like a cascading file system, but the last menu items being in the background and the R-stick "quick access" functionality confuses the hell out of me.

Further impressions after a few days of play:

Is this the greatest Madden ever? No.
Is this the greatest football game ever? No.

What it is, is a very solid football game at its core. It isn't "broken". The gameplay works and the options when you get on the field itself are pretty robust. The AI, in my experience, especially in the All-Madden setting is quite tough, but not cheap. Play the game smart and you'll be rewarded.

Sound hasn't changed much. Still no Madden commentary and all you have is the radio guy. I do hate the sound effect for the long throws though. They need to axe that next iteration.

The animations really stand out for me. You see little things that really immerse you even more into the presentation of actual football (as opposed to videogame pigskin), with its intricacies. Though it is disappointing how little "broadcast" feel the game has. Presentation is lacking if you're looking for something that looks and feels like a TV broadcast.

Lead blocking feature is a welcome addition. Coupled with the new animations and AI routines, the inside run has become a viable play choice now. It's actually fun to run up the gut and bust a few long runs out (and thoroughly disheartening when you miss that crucial block and get crushed 3 yards behind the LOS).

Franchise option is right where I like it. I wasn't a fan of that Owner mode stuff anyway, so no big loss for me.

The new mini camp stuff is a bit hit or miss. I still prefer the older mini camp drills in the current gen versions of Madden. The 40 yard dash is just a pain in the ass.

The other addition this year, Superstar Mode, is the only one I have real qualms about. As a whole I'm really not too thrilled with it. The idea is great--one that I hope is further cultivated and improved upon, but there's just a few hitches here and there that keep me from enjoying it as much as I would like:

- Horrid camera: I can understand what they're going for--getting you to really take the role of your player with the tight camera shot. Get in the trenches, if you will. Now, for some positions, I can understand and appreciate the tight camera angle. Being on the line, for one, you can benefit from it. You can see the blocking and the animations better that close and you really don't need to see much of the field anyway, rushing up field or blocking. The problem, however is with every other position.

QB has to be the worst offender. You need to see the whole field yet your view is restricted by the camera. As a result, you'll end up throwing blind passes mostly to the sidelines since you can't see.

It'd be nice if they gave you the option to start pre-snap at the given camera angle and then pull out to the normal view so you can see the play developing. That goes for LB, WR, CB, and HB as well. Though the camera should be behind the defense as well to give you the other perspective.

- Choppy play-calling/pre-snap: It chugs, especially at the start of a drive when you pick the attributes you want affected. It's horribly annoying.

Just a few notes to those still looking to get the game. Overall though, despite my gripes, I really like the game. Having fun with it anyway.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So anyone care to help explain the menu system to the idiots like me out there? I can see that it's fairly structured like a cascading file system, but the last menu items being in the background and the R-stick "quick access" functionality confuses the hell out of me.[/QUOTE]

quick access is pointless except to go online really quickly. I dont get what there is to not understand, you hit a or right, the next menu comes up, and you go from there. Then you go back with b and left. The thing you were just doing is in the background, hit x to bring the menus up and down. If youre in a franchise, and you want to make roster adjustments, go to game modes, then franchise, then the franchise menu comes up, and you can make your roster adjustments under the roster or coaching sections. Its not hard at all

So, anyone get GREYED OUT sections in the menus...what do you do then? I was stuck trying to save and I just wanted to back out and not save...but it makes you save. Besides that, the menus are ok....still a stupid layout. NCAA seems much better, and I didn't like those much either.

So, anyone waiting for them to fix the fatigue bug and get some DECENT rosters before starting a franchise?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Sound hasn't changed much. Still no Madden commentary and all you have is the radio guy. I do hate the sound effect for the long throws though. They need to axe that next iteration.[/quote]

So what the hell is with that sound effect anyways. Tavarua88 and I were talking about it during our league game. If I remember correctly he was saying that he heard it during one of the mini games. I thought he said the 40-yard dash but I'm not 100% sure. I always here it on big passes.

I also am waiting for that damn patch. I started a franchise, but I'll just start a new one when it comes out.

Yep, EA was smoking something with the cannon shot sound effect....and the fatigue. Besides that, I enjoy the game....Hopefully they patch it SOON!

[quote name='SteveMcQ']
QB has to be the worst offender. You need to see the whole field yet your view is restricted by the camera. As a result, you'll end up throwing blind passes mostly to the sidelines since you can't see.[/quote]
You can use the right stick to move the camera right or left during the play so you can look to the sides. I still suck as a QB, but it does make it a "little" more playable.

the game gets very choppy before a drive when it goes to that attributes part. This game is only worth a rental to me (which is what I am doing) besides that so far I almost prefer 06 for the 360 by gameplay just because of the less choppiness.

the one time i heard it out of the regular game was when i used deangelo hall during the 40 and i guess i was in a groove cuz you hear the same bang and then the whole environment kinda warps around you. i kinda lost my pace and it went away.

[quote name='mvp828']So what the hell is with that sound effect anyways. Tavarua88 and I were talking about it during our league game. If I remember correctly he was saying that he heard it during one of the mini games. I thought he said the 40-yard dash but I'm not 100% sure. I always here it on big passes.

I also am waiting for that damn patch. I started a franchise, but I'll just start a new one when it comes out.[/quote]

As far as the POV in Superstar, it has just about the same limitations as the 1st person mode implemented in the 2K series. The idea is nice, but the implementation could be better as far as gameplay experience is concerned.

I'm not sure if I've heard that sound effect, but I do hear one that sounds like a panting dog every now and again.

[quote name='AK85']You can use the right stick to move the camera right or left during the play so you can look to the sides. I still suck as a QB, but it does make it a "little" more playable.[/QUOTE]

Besides, how much of the field do you think a real QB can see at any given point?

[quote name='WildWop']Besides, how much of the field do you think a real QB can see at any given point?[/quote]

That is what I was thinking, the camera really doesn't bother me at all in the superstar mode, it is your shitty ass defense and braindead qb that makes it frustrating.

So I finally busted out the game to play, and while it's fun, it's just lacking *something* that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe its the fact that the game lacks any sort of presentation or style... it just feels so bland at times. I think SteveMcQ hit the nail on the head for me when he said it dosen't feel like a televised game... where is my player of the game? What about a post game show? Cmon, even a halftime show would be cool. It's good football but the presenation is about as bare bones as you can get.

I really dig the new announcer, he really gets excited about the big plays and I think he's 1000 times better than most announcers for sports game I've heard. Hearing him get super excited about a big play really gets me pumped up.

Superstar mode seems kind of fun but where's the shit I read about, like getting tattoo's, running your mouth, getting endorsements, or does that all come later? I just did some training camp shit and had a game, but I thought I had to compete against other QB's for the 1st string spot?

Speaking of which, franchise mode is really dry... I think it was ESPN 2k5 that had the amazing franchise mode where players could compete against each other for spots, they would email you, you'd have to make them happy, they had that radio show... it was really fleshed out. From what I've seen of 2007's franchise mode it's just "Here's a list of games now play them", none of the interactivity or the personal touches.

I know it's been asked before, and maybe it should be added to the OP, but how do I keep the legends off the franchise free agent list?

And also, I noticed that there are no throwback jerseys AT ALL... I see a tip that says "Download old uniforms and old stadiums in the Xbox Live Marketplace!" and I think to myself "Awesome, I'll check it out right now" but um... the Marketplace dosen't have anything like that? Here's to hoping they'll be free, as well.

Otherwise, it's good at the football side of things, I just wish they'd make sure of the ESPN license and really give the game a new facelift. That menu system is horrible, too. But oh, the jerseys getting progressively dirtier and the grass getting torn up is an awesome effect.

[quote name='Roufuss']So I finally busted out the game to play, and while it's fun, it's just lacking *something* that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe its the fact that the game lacks any sort of presentation or style... it just feels so bland at times.

I really dig the new announcer, he really gets excited about the big plays and I think he's 1000 times better than most announcers for sports game I've heard. Hearing him get super excited about a big play really gets me pumped up.

Superstar mode seems kind of fun but where's the shit I read about, like getting tattoo's, running your mouth, getting endorsements, or does that all come later? I just did some training camp shit and had a game, but I thought I had to compete against other QB's for the 1st string spot?

Speaking of which, franchise mode is really dry... I think it was ESPN 2k5 that had the amazing franchise mode where players could compete against each other for spots, they would email you, you'd have to make them happy, they had that radio show... it was really fleshed out. From what I've seen of 2007's franchise mode it's just "Here's a list of games now play them", none of the interactivity or the personal touches.

I know it's been asked before, and maybe it should be added to the OP, but how do I keep the legends off the franchise free agent list?

And also, I noticed that there are no throwback jerseys AT ALL... I see a tip that says "Download old uniforms and old stadiums in the Xbox Live Marketplace!" and I think to myself "Awesome, I'll check it out right now" but um... the Marketplace dosen't have anything like that? Here's to hoping they'll be free, as well.

Otherwise, it's good at the football side of things, I just wish they'd make sure of the ESPN license and really give the game a new facelift. That menu system is horrible, too. But oh, the jerseys getting progressively dirtier and the grass getting torn up is an awesome effect.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I kinda like the slimmed down version of the Franchise mode. I felt like the 04 and 05 ones were getting to be a bit overwhelming and the micromanaging got to be too much. Especially when you don't know a whole lot about football.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Personally, I kinda like the slimmed down version of the Franchise mode. I felt like the 04 and 05 ones were getting to be a bit overwhelming and the micromanaging got to be too much. Especially when you don't know a whole lot about football.[/QUOTE]

Maybe... too be honest I didn't put much time into it, its the last thing I checked out before bed. I was looking for any sort of "fun" options but it seems like its more or less "take a team through to the super bowl" without any of the frills that I believe ESPN 2k5 had for its franchise mode.

I'll check it out in the hopes of it fleshing itself out the more you get into it. I forget to mention, the graphics are decent too but still not quite next gen.

Can't wait for Madden 2008 where they hopefully develop for the ground up on 360 and cut out the ps2 / xbox versions.

bread's done
Back