Madden 11 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-That's all folks! Mini-tourney still coming tho!

playing the cpu your players contracts get used as soon as you start the game

online the contracts didnt get used until after the game so if someone quits with one second left you got no coins but no contract used

play MUT online is much better than vs the cpu, you get like twice as many coins earned per game even if you did lose

[quote name='theredworm']
play MUT online is much better than vs the cpu, you get like twice as many coins earned per game even if you did lose[/QUOTE]

But you also have to put up with the people who play online, 99% of whom are insufferable. I'd rather not torture myself just to get more coins, I'm not all that into MUT anyway.

Anyone got the Seahawks CAG name? It's not in the OP yet.

Still looks like 3 games are unplayed, I assume we're advancing tonight regardless? The only one I've seen firm plans for in here is Packers-Bills.

Well, we played our game an hour early. It really was a great game. The outcome may have been different if Forte didn't manage to break that last tackle for a game clinching first down.

Jbrun85 vs. Zurezo

Game scheduled for tomorrow between 1:30p - 2:00p (est)

Good Luck to everybody in week 3 :)

[quote name='eddie291']So what difficulty is the AI on? Just noticed that the Chiefs-Browns game ended 81-7.[/QUOTE]

It's on All-Pro, but that game was not played against the CPU, the owner dropped after.

Redskins @ Rams scheduled for tonight at 10PM EST, assuming we move on this evening as it has been planned.

Two 0-2 teams going for their first win!

Someone has to win! I mean.... right?

Packers/Bills into the 2nd quarter.
Seahawks are on XBL now (CAG name: sayHey), but no sign of SolidDragon.

So we may be advancing a little later than 6pm EST, assuming the Broncos do show up. Hawks just told me they planned on playing around now.

I've got my fantasy football draft and Packers game to watch tonight so if we could get out Bills-Pats game tomorrow sometime that'd be great. I'll be around all day Sunday.

[quote name='theredworm']I've got my fantasy football draft and Packers game to watch tonight so if we could get out Bills-Pats game tomorrow sometime that'd be great. I'll be around all day Sunday.[/QUOTE]

NICE. I forgot the Jets were on tonight too. Yay, now I have something to do from 8 to like... 8:30 when they pull the starters haha.

Bills over Pack 10-0. Very defensive game, a couple of early picks (me getting the Pack in great scoring position, Pack throwing it away near the endzone). Only a couple good drives for me. Kicking lag prevented this from being 10-3. Play of the game would be Shawn Nelson's 60 yard reception (He's a TE, so it took a while!). That set up the sole TD.

Good game overall, if uneventful.

[quote name='Lexxon']Bills over Pack 10-0. Very defensive game, a couple of early picks (me getting the Pack in great scoring position, Pack throwing it away near the endzone). Only a couple good drives for me. Kicking lag prevented this from being 10-3. Play of the game would be Shawn Nelson's 60 yard reception (He's a TE, so it took a while!). That set up the sole TD.

Good game overall, if uneventful.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Bills' first drive ended in an interception, but Woodson couldn't take it to the house. Then Rodgers threw a pick in the end zone, or within a couple yards of it, and you drove the field to get that TD.

It was a really fun game, but having not played online before, I didn't realize how terrible the kicking meter lag was. There was moderate lag throughout the game, but nothing that seriously affected gameplay. But I missed a very easy field goal at the end of the first half because the kicking meter is so messed up. Looking back, at 4th & 1 on the 3, I should have gone for the first down/touchdown, but I wanted to take what I thought would be the "easy points" and try to take the lead in the 2nd half.

But overall, it was a good game. Lexxon's a good player, and I showed that I definitely need practice. Eddie564 contacted at the end of the game asking if I wanted to play our week 3 game tomorrow, and
I responded saying that I could do late afternoon/early evening Pacific time. He hasn't responded to that message yet, but I'd imagine we shouldn't have much trouble getting our game in early in the week.

[quote name='Matt Young']
It was a really fun game, but having not played online before, I didn't realize how terrible the kicking meter lag was. There was moderate lag throughout the game, but nothing that seriously affected gameplay. But I missed a very easy field goal at the end of the first half because the kicking meter is so messed up.
[/QUOTE]

It depends on the game, but at times it can be brutal. Ubernes can attest to a scrimmage he and I played where I shanked just about every extra point and half my kickoffs. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a league game yet, because when it gets bad there's really nothing you can do about it. They desperately need to fix it.

I'm hoping, at the very least, that I can get used to the timing of it. Lexxon appeared to be able to do so, since he made the short FG at the end, and his extra point. I guess it's better than having the game frequently freeze on a made field goal like in Madden 09.

I personally have got the lag down pretty well, albeit not perfect. (I played WoW at its laggy launch plus other lag-infested games, so I've kinda got a thing for beating lag) You have to be about a half-second early with your button presses with the kicking. It takes a game or two to get used to it. At least, that's me. And it does depend on the game. During our game I didn't have anyone else on the connection, though, so I don't think it was a poor link on my end. Mostly EA's servers being awful at this point.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that you had a bad connection. It was definitely the EA servers. I've been wanting to play some unranked/non-league games to practice, anyway (I have played 3-4 games offline and this was my first game online. That's the extent of my experience with this year's game.) so hopefully I can become accustomed to it.

Also:

CAG: Matt Young / XBL: X Matt Young X / Pacific time / later in the afternoon or early in the evening (Pacific) is usually best for me.

Re: Titans

He's still waiting to get the game back from Buy.com. I think we'll just hold tight on how we are now. If he doesn't have the game Tuesday then whoever is playing the Titans should expect to play the CPU in week 3.

Re: Browns

The Browns are now open. I PMed the next guy on the waiting list a day or 2 ago, nothing. Hopefully someone comes in here and claims them.

[quote name='ubernes']They are into the 3rd quarter now. He showed.[/QUOTE]

That solves that. :D

I've got all the write-ups done but that one, so I'll finish those up and post after we advance.

any way to make the user name list on the OP also link to the user profile?

would be great in trying to send pms quickly on cag, just a thought

Seahawks 21 Broncos 20

The Extra Point miss ended up costing him late in the game, but Leon Washington was a key player in a 47 yard screen pass to give me the lead and eventually, the game.

It was a back and forth game the entire time, with no team ever being up by more than one score. It was well fought, very enjoyable game.

[quote name='sayHey']Seahawks 21 Broncos 20

The Extra Point miss ended up costing him late in the game, but Leon Washington was a key player in a 47 yard screen pass to give me the lead and eventually, the game.

It was a back and forth game the entire time, with no team ever being up by more than one score. It was well fought, very enjoyable game.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. You ready for another one? :D

Here are your official Week 2 Game Recaps!

Quick note: Some of these are more long and involved than others, it's not meant as a slight to anyone. Anyone who posted a recap or PMed me one I tried to work that stuff in, otherwise I just went off the box scores. As you can see, if you send me highlights I will add those as well. Hope you all enjoy these!

Ravens 38, Bengals 17

The Ravens rebounded from a hard-fought loss to the Jets in Week 1 to show the sort of fortitude which took them all the way to the Super Bowl last season. Behind a dominant ground game (28 carries for 269 yard and 5 touchdowns) the Ravens held the ball for over 60% of the game. The game was tied at the half, but the Ravens broke it open late in the game, outscoring the Bengals 24-3 over the last two quarters to move to 1-1 on the season. The Bengals, off to a tough start against strong opponents, fall to 0-2.

Panthers 35, Bucs 0

Smarting from a week 1 beatdown at the hands of the mighty Giants, the Panthers came into this game determined that history would not repeat itself. And did they ever deliver, showing the kind of poise and skill that has had people in the Carolinas buzzing all preseason. Matt Moore threw for 3 touchdowns, and the balanced Carolina rushing attack controlled the clock to the tune of over 150 yards. The Bucs didn't look to have many answers to the staunch Carolina D, either on the ground (7 carries for 14 yards) or through the air (2 picks). The Panthers move to 1-1 and look to build some momentum, while the Bucs fall to 0-2 and will look to score an upset next week against the Steelers before heading into an early bye.

Bills 10, Packers 0

The sort of game played by the Bills and Packers at Lambeau Field felt better suited for a mid-January game on the frozen tundra, but driving rain in Wisconsin certainly did its part to set the mood. A hard-nosed and brutal defensive slugfest, neither team could do much of anything, with both being under 225 total offensive yards for the game. The teams traded interceptions early to nullify scoring chances, which set the tone for the game. The Bills finally broke through with a touchdown midway through the second quarter following a long grab by Shawn Nelson to set up the touchdown, which would prove to be the only one of the game. A late field goal sealed it, but otherwise this game was entirely about the defenses. Both running games were decent, but neither team could do much to approach the red zone on this day. The Bills suffocated their opponents on defense and put together just enough offense to win and improve to 1-1 on the season, while the Packers fall to 0-2.

Dolphins 42, Vikings 35

Offense was the name of the game this week in Minnesota, where the Dolphins-Vikings game more closely resembled two mighty boxers throwing haymakers at one another. The Vikings fired the opening salvo, going up 14-0. They looked to close out the half strong, but a very late TD pass by Henne pulled the Phins back within a score at the half. If you thought this was shaping up to be a low-scoring affair, you would have been wrong. The teams began trading touchdowns like it was going out of style, with nary a field goal or a defensive stop to be found. The teams found themselves tied at the two minute warning, but that didn't stop three more touchdowns from being poured in. Unfortunately for the men in purple, the Phins had the last laugh as Chad Henne found his receiver for a score from 62 yards out to win the game. Chad Henne threw for 6 touchdowns, while Brett Favre was no slouch with 3 of his own. Purple Jesus added 136 yards and 2 scores for good measure. Both offenses were given Tuesday off, but word is the defenses were running suicides all morning. The Dolphins move to 2-0 while the Vikings drop to 0-2.

Bears 24, Cowboys 17

Coming off strong performances in their week 1 games, the Bears and Cowboys were both looking to make their case for being among the elite teams of the NFC. The Cowboys struck first, jumping out to a 10-0 lead in the 2nd quarter before Devin Hester wrestled away the momentum by returning the ensuing kickoff for a score. The Bears took over from there, scoring 24 unanswered in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to take a commanding lead. A late touchdown from the Cowboys was too little too late as the Bears went on to win by a touchdown. Jay Cutler, looking to shake the well-deserved stigma of being turnover-prone had his second straight interception free game, no doubt saving a lot of heartburn in Chicago. Tony Romo and Marion Barber were both solid, but the Cowboys never looked comfortable after the Hester kickoff return. They fall to 1-1 on the season, while the Bears are looking strong at 2-0.

Lions 24, Eagles 21

Despite being outgained in total offense by the high-flying Eagles, the Lions won thanks to two tried and true tenets of football: Control the clock, and hold onto the ball. Both Matthew Stafford and the ground game were efficient and mistake-free. The Eagles, clearly missing the veteran presence of Brian Westbrook, relied heavily on the pass. Despite a valiant effort by Kevin Kolb who threw for 3 touchdowns, a couple of costly interceptions - including one returned for a touchdown - swayed the course of the game. With the result, each team moves to 1-1 on the season.

Falcons 35, Cardinals 10

The Falcons, after giving up 59 points in week 1, came into this game with a renewed focus on defense, and it clearly paid off. Forcing three turnovers while allowing none put the Falcons in firm control of this game. They didn't ask much of Matt Ryan, who was efficient and threw for 2 touchdowns on only 11 pass attempts. Michael Turner was brilliant on the ground, rushing for 2 scores on 170 yards. The Cardinals clearly miss Kurt Warner, as Matt Leinart looked shaky at times in throwing up a couple of key interceptions. In an odd statistical twist, despite being outgained on the ground nearly 3-to-1, the Cardinals won the time of possession battle. The Falcons right the ship at 1-1,matching the Cardinals' mark after their week 1 win over the Rams.

[quote name='Highlights courtesy gbpackers94']
47 yd td rush by Michael Turner

15 yd recieving td by Tony Gonzalez

Cardinals 69 yd td pass
[/QUOTE]

Chiefs 81, Browns 7

The Chiefs came into week 2 looking to make a statement after a week 1 loss, and they did. The inept Browns could do nothing all game, repeatedly turning the ball over again and again and watching in abject horror as Chiefs players rumbled into the endzone again and again. Jake Delhomme threw 8 interceptions (tied an NFL record). Charles rushed for 367 yards (record) and 8 touchdowns (record). Everybody on hand was very impressed at the enormous prowess of the Chiefs starters who valiantly played the entire game, bravely scoring three times in the final two minutes, including a heroic 8th score by Charles with 35 seconds left. Everyone in the stadium left quite in awe as the Chiefs move to 1-1, joining the Browns who are also 1-1 but left without a coach after he resigned either in disgrace or disgust after the game.

Steelers 56, Titans 24

Showing the sort of offensive firepower few believed they possessed anymore coming into the season, the Steelers put up over 600 total yards for the second consecutive week. They're certainly not winning pretty, having turned the ball over 6 times in 2 games. However, having forced 7 turnovers in that same span it seems clear that this high octane high risk/high reward style will be the calling card of the Steelers all season. Most of the damage was done on the ground, where they gashed the reeling Titans for a mind-boggling 448 yards on 26 carries (a drunkenly stupendous 17.2 yards per carry). This newly reborn Pittsburgh powerhouse moves to 2-0 on the season, while the Titans are left searching for answers and a new coach after what can only be described as a disastrous start to what many hoped would be a playoff campaign.

Seahawks 21, Broncos 20

The Seahawks and the Broncos met in Mile High in what would prove to be the closest game of the week. The teams traded touchdowns 1 for 1 the entire game, one each in the first and second quarters. The Broncos would score first in the 4th quarter but missed the extra point, opening the door for the 47 yard pass to Leon Washington which sealed the game for the Seahawks. The teams were almost exactly even in time of possession, with the Seahawks winning that battle by a whopping 2 seconds, a testament to the closeness of the game. It's a shame that the Broncos had to lose the way they did, as they put up a great battle. With the result of the game, both teams move to 1-1 on the season but showed definitively that they can hang with anybody in the league.

Raiders 51, Rams 17

Before the season there were whispers about the Chargers running away with the AFC West, but in just two weeks the upstart Raiders have brought any such talk to a screeching halt. They were dominant for the second straight week, putting up an astonishing 51 points despite holding the ball for only about 6 minutes (a more than 2-to-1 disadvantage). Jason Campbell threw the ball only 6 times, completing all 6, including 2 touchdowns. Combine a strong rushing attack, suffocating defense and a score on special teams and the Raiders are surely looking like the real deal. The tough luck Rams put up a good fight, but it was a tough day for #1 overall pick Sam Bradford who completed only 38% of his passes while throwing up 2 picks. The Rams fall to 0-2 while the surprise new Silver and Black Menace moves to 2-0, stamping their presence on the AFC.

Jets 35, Patriots 24

No love was lost when the hated Patriots came into down to New Jersey in the pouring rain to face the new-look Jets. The Jets, looking to establish themselves as the preeminent power in the AFC East, certainly made that case early, jumping out to a seemingly surmountable 21-0 halftime lead on the strength of three passing Tds from Mark Sanchez. Tom Brady and the Patriots were not about to be supplanted so easily, however, as they roared back in the third quarter helped in part by two costly Jets fumbles on kickoffs. By the time the third quarter scoring flurry was over it was 28-21 Jets and anybody's game to win. However, the Pats drive with a chance to tie stalled out and they were forced to kick the field goal. The Jets took the ball and never looked back, sealing the win with a 30 yard run by Greene south of the 2-minute warning. Tom Brady had a tough game in the rain, completing under 50 percent of his passes, though he did manage 2 touchdowns against only one pick. Sanchez was brilliant in limited opportunities, throwing 4 touchdowns on only 15 attempts. The Jets rushed for over 200 yards while the Patriots ran the ball twice (albeit for a mighty 6 yards per). The Jets move to 2-0 and the Pats fall to 1-1.

Texans 42, Redskins 21

The Texans came to Washington looking to assert their position as the new team to beat in the AFC South while the Redskins looked to avoid a second straight loss in their tough division. It was the Texans who would laugh last, however, as they dominated in all three phases of the game, literally, pulling off the unheard of feat of scoring on offense, defense, and special teams for the second consecutive week. The Redskins, meanwhile, tried to make a game of it in the 4th quarter down 28-7, but it was too little to late as every assault was seemingly met by a counterpunch from the dominant Texans. Donovan McNabb improved in his 2nd game as a Redskin, throwing for over 300 yards and two scores, but also threw 2 costly picks. Schaub was efficient, getting 3 touchdowns on 10 of 12 passing. Both running games were solid if not spectacular. The Texans continue to build momentum at 2-0 with a 2 game lead on the rest of their division, while the Redskins find themselves in an 0-2 hole in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

Chargers 17, Jaguars 14

The Chargers and Jaguars met in torrential downpours in Southern California and played one of the most hard-nosed games of the young season. After both stalled out on their opening drives, it looked to be a defensive struggle the whole game. But the Jags then marched down the field for a touchdown, only to see the Chargers answer right back. The Jags wrested away control of the game with 1 second left in the half when Garrard connected with Williamson in the endzone. The Chargers took the ball to start the second half and answered with a second score of their own, Rivers to Gates. The Jags were marching down the field early in the 4th but their drive stalled and they gave the ball back on 4th and 6th from the Chargers 46 when Stephen Cooper heroically batted away the pass intended for MJD. From there, the Chargers drove to well under the two minute warning before kicking a FG. The Jags were left with just over a minute and no timeouts. On the third play from scrimmage Garrard found MJD on a deep route well within FG range, but in the driving rainn Darrell Stuckey hit the ball loose and the Chargers recovered to seal the game. Both quarterbacks were great, easily eclipsing 100 passer ratings and throwing for 2 scores each while the running games were a non-factor statistically, but helped the Chargers in closing out the game. The battle-tested Chargers move to 2-0 on the year after two close wins, while the tough-luck Jaguars fall to 0-2 but proved that are not to be taken lightly.

[quote name='Highlights courtesy of bvharris']
Williamson TD to close out the half

Chargers make a stop on 4th-and-6

MJD fumbles to end the game
[/QUOTE]

Giants 28, Colts 0

Coming off two recent Super Bowl wins, the Giants were without a doubt considered the prohibitive favorite coming into the young season, but nobody could have predicted they would be this dominant this soon. After allowing an uncharacteristically high (for them) 20 points in week 1, the Giants set out to make a statement, and did so in grand fashion by shutting out Peyton Manning and the Colts. You may not be aware, but the Colts have NEVER been shut out in the regular season under Manning (they were shut out by the Jets in the playoffs in 2002). Eli was clearly the superior Manning on this day, throwing for 3 touchdowns, whereas all Peyton could manage was 2 picks. Really, this game was all about the legendary Giants D, who held the Colts under 150 offensive yards to move to an unsurprising 2-0 on the season. The Colts meanwhile, no doubt considered the pre-season favorites in the AFC South, are going to have to climb their way out of an 0-2 hole.

[quote name='Highlights courtesy of BigAT']
Jacobs breaks away for a 33 yard TD

Manning to Nicks defies gravity for an 82 yard score
[/QUOTE]

49ers 35, Saints 7 (CPU)

The Saints came into Candlestick Park looking to continue their Super Bowl defense but instead found themselves steamrolled by the dominant ground game of the 49ers. The Saints, missing coach Scotts who was out “with a knee”, managed to hold the ball for less than 6 minutes as the combo of Westbrook and Gore refused to relinquish the rock. Gore, averaging over 10 yards a carry, rumbled for three scores, including a blistering 81 yard run. Brian Westbrook was no slouch either in his debut for the 49ers, rushing for 53 yards a welcome change of pace. The 49ers amazingly completed only 1 pass in the game (on 4 attempts) but they never needed to go anywhere near the air. Not to be outdone by the Texans, they too managed to score a TD in all three phases for the 2nd straight week. The 49ers move to 2-0 on the season while the Saints fall to 1-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']Woah, did Scotts leave the league or something? It doesn't look like anyone owns the Saints anymore. What gives?[/QUOTE]

It was discussed a few pages back. He had to leave temporarily, but he's coming back.

Great write-up, bvharris, but I did forget to mention (since you made reference to a pleasant afternoon) that it was raining. That probably contributed to the game being low-scoring on both ends.

[quote name='theredworm']Matt if you want to get an online game sometime hit me up.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing, man. If there's time between when I get back home (leaving in less than an hour) and when the Packers game starts, maybe we could play then. If not, I'm free tomorrow- late afternoon/evening.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the draft. Not sure what time that is. Maybe we can play after the Packers game, although that may be late for you.

hey ubernes whats going on with my week three should I wait to play this since Deezy may be moving to the Titans, and Scotts (Saints owner ) will need another invite.

[quote name='Matt Young']Great write-up, bvharris, but I did forget to mention (since you made reference to a pleasant afternoon) that it was raining. That probably contributed to the game being low-scoring on both ends.
[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. The historical record is now correct. ;)

gg uber, i couldn't stop frakking braylon edwards..... You took my Starting SS out for 4 weeks.... Broken Ribs. Looks like i took your ROLB out for 8 weeks though, broken wrist:D

[quote name='bvharris']Hey ubernes/siradam, you guys planning on playing any defense in that game of yours? :D[/QUOTE]

lol harris, my seconday came to play "watch the ball float into Braylon Edwards hands EVERY DOWN"......13 Receptions for 303 Yards....4 TD

gg for sure. it turned into the Braylon Show real quick. after you scored on that 60+ yard run on your first play and Greene fumbled the ball for my first play, I just decided to say screw it I'm throwing the ball. luckily it worked. and actually luckily Edwards caught all those. he's hardly my go-to guy. his catch rating is iffy for a WR, but he always found his way open.

a couple key moments of the game come to mind:
-4th and short stand by I think Ellis in your territory. it was right in the middle of me roaring back and the following score by me might have been the one to tie it 21-21.
-a VERON GHOLSTON sighting. It's a shame I couldn't get the replay on this one because it was HUGE. 3rd quarter, I was up by this point and you were 3rd and goal. Henne had the space to run it in but Gholston chased him down for the sack. the next play Henne threw into coverage and it was turn over on downs. Fins were trying to tie it up at that point 35-35.
-Mr. Perfect Chad Henne getting picked twice. One by Lowery, which I don't remember being huge by any means but all turnovers are big. But the 2nd one he threw into double coverage. Revis Island got his hands on it and then Leonhard grabbed it out of the air. Replay: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/31871288

edit: and no Pace for 8 weeks hurts :( my LB depth isn't bad, I'll play Jason Taylor back at ROLB more than DE now so it could be worse. not ideal though!

[quote name='Deuce20602']So do i wait for someone to take over the Browns or can i just go ahead and play the CPU?[/QUOTE]

Wait until Monday if you could. If we can't find someone by then, then play the CPU.

[quote name='siradam134']lol harris, my seconday came to play "watch the ball float into Braylon Edwards hands EVERY DOWN"......13 Receptions for 303 Yards....4 TD[/QUOTE]

Braylon Edwards caught 13 passes?!?! How many did he drop, 40? :D

bread's done
Back