Madden 2005 or ESPN Football 2005?

Ravaged

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I was contemplating on this, buy ESPN for 20$, or Madden 2005 Special Editon for about 55$. Big difference in price there, but Madden has been so great over the past years, I don't really know what to do. I was this close to buying ESPN just 5 seconds ago, but now, I really can't decide.

Espn is actually imo the better fottball game and at that price who can beat that. I get sick of here Maddens one liners anyway. The presentation on espn will blow madden out of the water. I buy Madden every year ( yes I know. I know.) Anyway this is the first year that I won't be.

ESPN gets my vote. The gameply always just feels better to me and MrHockey's right about the presentation.

For 20 beans you can definitly give ESPN a try. If you really dont like it you can always trade or sell it and then get madden. I think Madden always takes for granted their the better game and sega really wants to prove them wrong this year.

I was already thinking ESPN but when I found out about the possible $20 price point my mind was made up. Definetly ESPN.

To be honest I was close to switching from Madden to ESPN last year.. at the $20 price point, I'll definitely be going with ESPN this year.

And which one you play has absolutely nothing to do with whether you're a football fan or not.

[quote name='$hady']MADDEN hands down, if your a football fan. If your a causal baller then ESPN will get you by.[/quote]

I'm curious as to what your reasoning for this is?

I was gonna say "in before the Madden fanboys" but I guess I lost.

Yeah, buy ESPN now and pick up Madden when it gets cheaper (especially if you can get a used special edition). Read the previews at IGN; the ESPN game has a lot of new gameplay stuff while most of Madden's improvements are cosmetic.

If you want to encourage companies to release games with lower prices: ESPN.

If you want to encourage companies release minimal upgrades, and charge you $50 a year: Madden.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']the ESPN game has a lot of new gameplay stuff while most of Madden's improvements are cosmetic.[/quote]

Well, yeah. That's the way it is every year.

I'd say get them both. $75 for 2 good football games is a a good deal.

The only thing I didn't like about NFL 2k3 was that it didn't seem you had as much control when defending as you do in Madden (less defensive line moves, etc.), and the defense never could be caught overpursuing like in Madden. The players always cut on a dime. It just wasn't realistic gameplay in that regard. However I have not yet played ESPN NFL 2004 so I won't rush to judgement with 2005. I'll try to get them both. The main reason is because I have a friend online who prefers ESPN but my sister's fioncee prefers Madden (as do I right now).

Not that I've played any Madden or Sega Sports/ESPN game since about 2000, but I have always heard from reviews and friends who buy the games that the ESPN games have been better than Madden. That coupled with the price point, I think the choice is obvious.

ok, you have madden from04, why not get sega 2k5?

madden WONT BE THAT DIFFRENT!!!!!! so pick up 2k5 because its a diffrent game

logic:
$55 for same game
$20 for new game
hmmm...

[quote name='ananag112']Get ESPN now. Get Madden when the price drops. ESPN can't drop in price much more. Use the BB gift card to get ESPN 2K5 for $15![/quote]

Don't count on Madden dropping. Madden 04 is still at its $50 price point and it is almost time for 05. Just buy ESPN, or pay the full price for Madden, either at launch or whenever, because your still gonna pay the full price.

Do you guys know if the ESPN series stops online support of previous games once the new version comes out like Madden does? I hate that EA abuses its power by forcing us to buy a new game every year in order to play online, bastards. If Sega lets me play 2k5 in 2006 than i will be happy.

I can't recall when exactly, if ever, the last time I fully enjoyed a Sega Sports title, but I'd buy ESPN for $20.

I'm sure if enough people buy it and sales of Madden are in something of a slump, there will be numerous price drops and specials on the game.

Last Sports game enjoyed was NFL 2K1 and NBA2K1.

I picked up 2K3 but never played it as had other things to play. I plan on picking up ESPN

i dont really buy sports games every year, i dont c the point in it so my last sports games (nhl, and nfl) are both from 2002. i think its time for an upgrade this year and im definetly going with espn for football. being a CAG i dont have money to waste on $50 games anyway just for the brand recognition. and im not too sure about this but does espn make nhl games also, and will they be retailing for $20 also?

alright so i was readin ign's preview of 2k5 and they mentioned how the music is very customizable on XBOX. Can you only put store bought music on there or can you put songs from cdrs?

ESPN if your a gamer. Madden if your into simulations. I bought Madden last year and I was pissed, personally. Espn has more of a arcadey feel, which to me is better coding. If I wanted a complete realistic football game...I'd go outside and play it.

Madden. Damn, I just don't like ESPN. I buy Madden every year, and I always give ESPN a rental. Everytime I play ESPN, I can only play like one game in a row, and the game just bores me. The presentation is great, and there are some awesome animations, but I just love Madden's gameplay. And that is what it comes down to for me. And you can't say Madden has just improved costmetically. It has gone through the whole new graphics upgrade, and some great in game features have been added.

* New Hit Stick — Change the momentum of a game by using the right analog stick to make a huge hit, force a turnover, and send the crowd into a frenzy. Time it just right or you’ll get burned for a big play.

* New Defensive Playmaker Control — You are now in complete control on defense. Modify pre-snap assignments, including double teams and player-specific match ups, for any defensive player on the field.

They have also noted some inprovements to the DB so you can really tell the difference between Champ Bailey and Donnie Abraham. Champ will be able to shutdown Moss and Owens, Donnie, won't.

Oh yeah, these features look great as well.

* New Storyline Central — Get inside the NFL like you never have. Now your games are impacted by the stories that surround your team. Satisfy your star WR’s demands or watch your team chemistry suffer. Get the scoop from local and national newspapers, email from assistant coaches, and Tony Bruno’s weekly radio talk show.

* Enhanced Franchise Mode — Players now react to everything that happens in the franchise—reward a hard-working player by naming him team captain or trade away unhappy players. The new game-by-game progression system rewards players for their performance during the season.

* New Fan Presentation — Your team’s crowd is now customizable with new Create-a-Fan. Be on the lookout for team-specific super fans via all-new 3D fan scenes.

But the main thing that has me buying Madden over ESPN is....

draft classes, you HAVE to buy madden.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Well, since ESPN dropped their Gamecube support, I guess I'm stuck with Madden. :(

I hate Madden...[/quote]
oh man you really gotta hook up with an xbox for low price or somn because it just overrules gamecube in every way...especially sports titles. As for me, i still cant believe that all this stuff can be put into one football game(espn nfl 2k5). I've read all the previews and especially liked the 10 best things on espn nfl 2k5 on ign, but i still just cant believe it until i see this game in action. Also, what possibly at this rate would they have for NFL 2k6?...I shouldn't think that far

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']
* New Hit Stick — Change the momentum of a game by using the right analog stick to make a huge hit, force a turnover, and send the crowd into a frenzy. Time it just right or you’ll get burned for a big play.

* New Defensive Playmaker Control — You are now in complete control on defense. Modify pre-snap assignments, including double teams and player-specific match ups, for any defensive player on the field.

They have also noted some inprovements to the DB so you can really tell the difference between Champ Bailey and Donnie Abraham. Champ will be able to shutdown Moss and Owens, Donnie, won't.
[/quote]

You really need to educate yourself about Sega's game. Check out these bits from the preview from TeamXbox:

Maximum Tackle

Players can now decide to go for the big hit or the wrap-up tackle. While a big hit is harder to execute, it can cause a fumble if successful; the wrap-up tackle is easier to make but allows the ball carrier a chance to escape.

Momentum cutbacks

Player movement is now more realistic with all new momentum cutbacks where players can make defenders over-pursue ball carriers with more effective jukes, head-fakes, stop-n-gos, and more.

If that weren’t enough, ESPN NFL 2K5 has enhanced defensive adjustments that include player specific adjustments allowing gamers to double team specific receivers, spy on the QB and much more.

Hmm...looks like 2k5 has everything game-related that you bragged on for Madden. Don't know about the franchise stuff since I usually just like to play the game multi-player.

Momentum cutbacks

Player movement is now more realistic with all new momentum cutbacks where players can make defenders over-pursue ball carriers with more effective jukes, head-fakes, stop-n-gos, and more.

It's about damn time ESPN does this, that was my main complaint about the series, the player physics.

I'm surprised at the amount of animosity towards EA. Always out sells, but always hated on. And before anyone jumps on me for that, I SWEAR by ESPN for Basketball games (ESPN is just superior and more polished, aside from the post-up game. EA does that better).

ESPN NFL had always been better....madden always gets sales b/c of the old fans that still like the 1996 version which has been updated to 3d to run on ps2/gc/xb. Yeah i hate madden :twisted: :twisted: as it always is the same thing, except for some here and there changes....the worst thing is madden's comentry......man do i want to tell madden to SHUT THE HELL UP.....

neways....yeah ESPN ALL THE WAY.....for NFL and NBA..... i am gettin and xb just so i can play ESPN with the extra/cool features that are available for xb users......

i bought madden when it first came out for g/c.....oh how stupid i was :x :x ....neways....after that i have never ever, ever, ever, ever thought about buying it......

I'm gonna say both...why? Well, ESPN at 20.00 is too good a deal to pass up, and why MADDEN? NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 Draft classes!!! Got to remember that!

I loved Madden 2004, but I sold it for a great price to get the 2005 version. However, the ESPN price cut won me over and I already pre-ordered ESPN game. The thing that worries me is that I have never played any ESPN game. I loved the Madden gameplay, but 30 dollars difference will let me take a risk.

bread's done
Back