Major Earthquake in Japan (CheapyD & Family are OK)

figcoinc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I wanted to make this posting in case some CAGs wake up, see what happened on TV, and flood Cheapy's PM with messages. I just happened to be on twitter as he and Mrs. Cheapy reacted to the quake. They are all OK.

Just put down well wishes, and stuff in this thread. Do not PM, or flood his twitter. I tweeted stuff, but realized they need this to communicate with each other. So I rather put my prayers for their continued safety here.

Not only for them, but pray for all those affected by this quake. As a person who lived through a 6.9 size I understand the force of a quake. It is absolutely amazing, and scary like you can not believe.

So be safe all CAGs who live in Japan, and especially near the Tokyo area.

If you wish to donate to the Red Cross's effort to assist Japan please follow the link below. In the upper right hand corner of their website is where you can donate to Japan, or any other worthy effort.

http://www.redcross.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was just reading twitter now and heard about the quake. Glad to hear Cheapy and his family are ok and I hope the best and safety for others as well. Earthquakes just suck:bomb:

Just heard about this myself. That is the largest quake I've ever heard of. My prayers to Cheapy, the fam, and the people of Japan.

Im watching right now on Fox news. They are showing the tsunami as it is coming on shore. They are reporting it as an 8.9.

I hope everyone gets to safety. I'm watching it on TV now. What a massive quake. It's crazy. :cry:

Forgive me for only finding out about this just now...
and I turned on the News, and they're talking about how it's gonna effect the West Coast USA (I live in Washington, about 30-40 miles inland D: ) so this is gonna be a problem...

[quote name='daphatty']CNN is reporting 8.9 magnitude at the moment. Not sure how realistic that is but Jesus Christ...[/QUOTE]

8.9!? Last I heard it was 7.9. Wow...I can not even image. 6.9 was so powerful it felt like the air current stood still. 8.9 must have felt as if the world was being ripped apart.

Wow.... incredible...scary as hell, but incredible.

[quote name='Oaxan']Forgive me for only finding out about this just now...
and I turned on the News, and they're talking about how it's gonna effect the West Coast USA (I live in Washington, about 30-40 miles inland D: ) so this is gonna be a problem...[/QUOTE]

I just got on to check email before heading to bed and saw it and turned the news on. They said if there is a tsunami was headed for the US West coast it wouldn't make land fall until around 0800 or 0900 pst. They just put out a tsunami warning for Hawaii.

I've only seen some of the news but I heard it was 6 miles deep. So hopefully that means that it didn't hit as hard as it could've, but there's still those tsunamis to worry about.

Jesus Christ help us all...
world's gonna blow up soon, you can tell.
I dunno about the rest of my fellow CAGs, but I'm gonna seek higher ground if this gets any worse...

They said because it was not deep it causes the tsunami to be worse. On an ironic note I read an article about a guy claiming the full moon on the 19th would cause major disasters because it will be closest to the earth it has been in two decades.

'Glad to hear they are ok! Thanks for posting this, figcoinc. I've been following the quake on the news, and this footage is very disturbing =/

Well thankfully Cheapy didn't have to tweet his legs were trapped like he said he would in the CAGCast if any big earthquake hit.

Glad to hear they are okay. I hope everybody in Japan is okay though, but I cant see it. :(

At least Tokyo is a city that is well prepared to handle quakes, I am worried for the people im more rural areas though.

[quote name='Beatofficer']7th worst earthquake ever recorded jesus[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing it as 5th worst in recorded history. Where do you have it 7th from? Also the 2004 Xmas day quake was not recorded officially on the Richter Scale so this could be 4th worse ever recorded.

The BBC reports are scary. :(

Sendai seems to be the biggest victim of this, it's a city a couple of hours north of Tokyo that has a population of a million people. It seems that the tsunami is going to be the thing that does the real damage too, a 10 metre (about 11 yard) high wave has flattened pretty much everything around there. There has been footage from a helicopter of the wave sweeping across the land, where the reporter was pointing out its not just the water that smashes everything, whenever the water knocks down a building or swallows up a car then it carries the debris with it, so you have bricks and stones and rocks smashing into standing structures. This makes access to survivors difficult because the roads are out.

Japan, you are in my prayers.

Tsunami warning siren sounding in Hawaii too, they are saying that the waves will take about 5 hours from now to hit Hawaii. I think that means 3am local time?

[quote name='Nayson']Tsunami warning siren sounding in Hawaii too, they are saying that the waves will take about 5 hours from now to hit Hawaii. I think that means 3am local time?[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

Right now I'm sticking closely to my TV (being that I live in Hawaii).

A similar situation occurred last year too during the Chilean earthquake... luckily, nothing major happened. Hopefully it'll turn out the way it did like last year for us...

My thoughts and prayers also go out to the people of Japan who were affected. You never want to have anything to happen like that.

[quote name='silentevil']I'm seeing it as 5th worst in recorded history. Where do you have it 7th from? Also the 2004 Xmas day quake was not recorded officially on the Richter Scale so this could be 4th worse ever recorded.[/QUOTE]

That's what they said on MSNBC or CNN I was flipping channels.

yeah I heard it on the radio on my way home from work checked up on Twitter in the car and CheapyD was already wanted to come on home to the US. Watching the tsunamis on the TV was crazy. My prayers are with the people, so good luck everyone.

Tsunami *watch* issued for West Coast, CA to AK. Wave expected to reach SF at 8:16 a.m. Santa Barbara 8:24 a.m. La Jolla 8:48 a.m.

Hope everyone is safe over there. Christ.

I'm still waiting for the "big one" over here. We're WAYYYYYYYYYY over due... :\

Glad to hear Cheapy is okay. Kinda scary the warning extended to the west coast here. I'm in San Francisco so hopefully nothing major hits.

oh dear shit cakes

http://www.businessinsider.com/fukushima-nuclear-plant-2011-3

Japan Declares Nuclear Emergency, As Cooling System Fails At Power Plant
Joe Weisenthal | Mar. 11, 2011, 6:13 AM | 7,967 | 5
A A A

inShare
Update 2: Japan has declared a nuclear emergency.
Update: There's no evidence of any radioactive leakage, but officials have confirmed that the cooling process for the nuclear plant has not yet gone according to plan.
Original post: Ominous flash from Kyodo Wire:
The operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant reported an abnormality Friday following a powerful earthquake which hit a wide area in northeastern Japan including Fukushima Prefecture, the industry ministry said.
The system to cool reactor cores in case of emergency stopped at the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors of the plant operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., it said.
There are reports that the Japanese PM will declare a nuclear emergency.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/fukushima-nuclear-plant-2011-3#ixzz1GHxqZOkE

Thanks for the update as I couldn't find anything on twitter. Cheapy just talkin about this on the podcast too. Scary

Cheapy...glad to hear that you and the family are ok. Having grown up in Alaska, big earthquakes like that are no fun and to get hit with a Tsunami also is hard to fathom. Keep us updated and hopefully everyone on Mrs. Cheapy's side of the family is ok.....

bread's done
Back