Major Earthquake in Japan (CheapyD & Family are OK)

[quote name='SgtMurder']I'm glad Cheapy D and others are ok...

I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Soulless bastard.

I doubt Japan is going to ask for donations. India rejected foreign aid after being hit pretty hard by tsunami a few years

[quote name='docvinh']Seriously, did someone beat you as a child or something? Or did they not beat you enough?[/QUOTE]

what?

Just watch some news. The images coming out of Japan is just horrific. 2 major quakes, massive tsunami. Lets hope no volcanoes will erupt.

Deepest condolence to the people of Japan and those affected by this disaster.

[quote name='Oaxan']Soulless bastard.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe in souls, so your "insult" doesn't bother me. Japan has the third best economy in the world so I doubt they will be needing any form of aid from other countries.

if it didn't bother you, you would have ignored it ^^
Japan's gonna be cleaning this up for years, hundreds have lost their homes and family, they're in a state of national disaster and nuclear emergency.
and you're complaining about commercials. smh

[quote name='SgtMurder']I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Just shut up. Please.

[quote name='daphatty']
EDIT: Also, thread stickied.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the sticky.

I edited the first page to have the link to the Red Cross. They started gathering up donations to help fund the clean-up effort that is soon to come. I put the main site up so people feel comfortable donating if they want to. I first put up a link, but I realized that some may think it was a referral link of some kind.

Anyway I just donated what I could. I just heard about the massive aftershock. That is where it become very dangerous. The quake messes stuff up, but aftershocks could tear down now weakened infrastructure.

Still everyone in Japan be watchful, and safe.

I gotta admit. Whoever the engineers are in Japan, did a good job with the buildings/skyscrapers in Tokyo. Hopefully California has the same when they get hit by the big one. However the Tsunami definitely put a big impact on Japan. My thoughts go to everyone down there.

Glad to read Cheapy & his Family are doing good, they where the 1st to come to mind, when i heard the news. Cheapy, if you need anything please let me know. Are Prayers are with you guys & everyone over there. be safe!

NBC news Twitter:

"Electric Power Co. is reporting that they have lost control of the pressure in their No. 1 & 2 nuclear reactors with temps rising."

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but that can't be good.

[quote name='KaneRobot']NBC news Twitter:

"Electric Power Co. is reporting that they have lost control of the pressure in their No. 1 & 2 nuclear reactors with temps rising."

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but that can't be good.[/QUOTE]

Another plant has had their coolant system fail.. via @breakingnews

Japan issues state of emergency at another nuclearpower plant after cooling system failure - AP

It's good news that CheapyD and his family are okay but it's just a damn shame and a sad day for the people of Japan. For those God-fearing people, remember to include Japan in your prayers, I know I will.

How are y'all CAGs on the West coast doing?

West Coast CAG reporting, nothing serious happened, got some minor flooding in Seattle, but nothing more then a few inches of risen water.
Dunno 'bout Cali yet...

[quote name='Oaxan']West Coast CAG reporting, nothing serious happened, got some minor flooding in Seattle, but nothing more then a few inches of risen water.
Dunno 'bout Cali yet...[/QUOTE]

I'm in SoCal. We've had tsunami watches but news reports just show tidal changes, boats moved in docks. Very minor.

Report from NorCal shows at least some accidents occurred (although THIS was avoidable)

Cali reporting in. Nothing major here. Some damaged boats in Santa Cruz and San Francisco. A video was shot about 10 minutes from where I live of the "Tsunami" coming in.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/dailyreview/localnews/ci_17593040

People were waking up in hysterics. I had a friend tell me his neighbor came over panicked at 430 in the morning letting him know about the possible Tsunami. I drove past that part you see in the video just fine and carried on with my day. I hope the folks in Japan are doing alright and they get those nuclear reactors under control.

Yeah, my Cali friend posted on her facebook that her neighbor came banging on her doorbell around the same time last night XD

Right now, having the occasional tornado out here (St. Louis, MO) doesn't seem so bad compared to all that happened around here.

Glad to see we haven't had any CAG issues due to this and hopefully, we won't.

[quote name='Oaxan']Yeah, my Cali friend posted on her facebook that her neighbor came banging on her doorbell around the same time last night XD[/QUOTE]

Your friend wouldn't happen to be named Kim would it?

[quote name='Spanky']Your friend wouldn't happen to be named Kim would it?[/QUOTE]

I just knew you were gonna ask something like that XD
actually her name is Jessica, she lives in Hercules :p

[quote name='KaneRobot']NBC news Twitter:

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but that can't be good.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that the designers figured earthquake into the structure and there are back ups to back ups to back ups. I'd be more worried about a leak right now.... Such radioactive leaks in the surrounding area could put major dampers in rescue operations.

Glad to hear all the CAGs are fine. Also glad my friend in Okinawa wasn't hit by anything, I was worried when I had heard of a tsunami in Japan. My heart goes out to all the people in Japan and those affected by this tragedy.

[quote name='Oaxan']West Coast CAG reporting, nothing serious happened, got some minor flooding in Seattle, but nothing more then a few inches of risen water.
Dunno 'bout Cali yet...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DaBoltz']I'm in SoCal. We've had tsunami watches but news reports just show tidal changes, boats moved in docks. Very minor.

Report from NorCal shows at least some accidents occurred (although THIS was avoidable)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Spanky']Cali reporting in. Nothing major here. Some damaged boats in Santa Cruz and San Francisco. A video was shot about 10 minutes from where I live of the "Tsunami" coming in.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/dailyreview/localnews/ci_17593040

People were waking up in hysterics. I had a friend tell me his neighbor came over panicked at 430 in the morning letting him know about the possible Tsunami.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can understand the preoccupation after seeing the images being broadcast out of Japan...I'm watching dateline and it's still all seems surreal.

God, I hope they get that nuclear power plant under control, they don't need any more devastation.

Well, I'm glad y'all guys are okay. Stay safe.

Good to hear most CAGs are good as well, I just got done watching some videos of the damage and it's awful what happened.

Sadly, not everyone was as fortunate. These past couple of years have been quite terrible in terms of natural disasters it seems like every other year some huge disaster strikes.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah that guy sounds all happy until he finds out Cheapy took pictures of him while he slept.[/QUOTE]

I though about doing that, but then realized it might potentially ruin any glowing article he had planned to write about me.

Thanks to all of you or your kind thoughts. We continue to be fine, but there is now talk of power outages coming to Tokyo as one of the nuclear reactors is melting down. We shall see...

This is going to sound terrible, but I'm watching what I assume is a replay of Piers Morgan's show on CNN where he's covering the tsunami, and some of this background music sounds just like the Super Mario Galaxy theme before it cuts to something more dramatic sounding.

[quote name='figcoinc']Thanks for the sticky.

I edited the first page to have the link to the Red Cross. They started gathering up donations to help fund the clean-up effort that is soon to come. I put the main site up so people feel comfortable donating if they want to. I first put up a link, but I realized that some may think it was a referral link of some kind.

Anyway I just donated what I could. I just heard about the massive aftershock. That is where it become very dangerous. The quake messes stuff up, but aftershocks could tear down now weakened infrastructure.

Still everyone in Japan be watchful, and safe.[/QUOTE]

I will be donating too, by buying music cd's from a site called HMV or Amazon.co.jp .

I'm actually curious what happened to some students coming here in the next week or two. I know my Japanese teacher in college was suppose to pick them up next week, coming off the airport to be placed with host families. I'm wondering if any of them are injured and/or this will delay them coming by a week or two or perhaps longer. I was just thinking some might want to stay with their families for a while.

edit: Hmmm the man who the Japanese likely believe is the reincarnation of Buddha(points at CheapyD) on the Howard Stern show.

[quote name='shrike4242']Pretty cool story about CheapyD helping out someone from Destructoid after the earthquake:

http://www.destructoid.com/sincerest-thanks-destructoid-s-readers-are-amazing-196246.phtml[/QUOTE]

How tall is Cheapy again (since he's mentioned as the tallest white man in Tokyo in the article)?

Very kind of him to do that, though I'm betting any good person would do the same. The situation described of people just wandering Tokyo in the article sounds surreal. I wonder when the trains will be back up and running.

EDIT: Um, holy shit?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/12/3162450.htm?section=world

Stay safe, folks in Japan.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know it would have been interesting if this occurred during a CAG cast recording.[/QUOTE]
I thought the exact same thing, then for some reason felt really guilty about it, Glad to hear they're ok!

[quote name='CheapyD']I though about doing that, but then realized it might potentially ruin any glowing article he had planned to write about me.

Thanks to all of you or your kind thoughts. We continue to be fine, but there is now talk of power outages coming to Tokyo as one of the nuclear reactors is melting down. We shall see...[/QUOTE]

I know it's not exactly an easy thing to do, with family, career, life, etc, but I'd get the hell out of there. Go to New York, man. Post-haste. 1 hour of radiation exposure within a ten mile radius is the equivalent of 1 year's worth in normal conditions, according to world news sources.

[quote name='CheapyD']one of the nuclear reactors is melting down. We shall see...[/QUOTE]

Does that give you any Godzilla fears?

Best wishes go out to CheapyD and his family and for helping out Dale North of Destructoid while he was with you. Hope the aftershocks will stop soon to ease what has been a terrible natural disaster for Japan.

[quote name='cgarb84']Living in Illinois earthquakes are something we don't have to worry about which I am eternally grateful for. Tornadoes however are a completely different story. It seems like no matter where you live in the world you can't escape some type of natural disaster like this. Thoughts and prayers with all those affected.[/QUOTE]

I hate to burst your bubble but, go research the New Madrid fault line. Granted, the further you live from southern IL the better.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/japa...-lines-dangers-lurk-america/story?id=13114816

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

http://quake.ualr.edu/public/nmfz.htm

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-s...hould-be-wakeup-call-20110311,0,3495455.story

Glad to hear Cheapy and his family is okay. Hoping for the best for the rest of the Japanese CAGs.
The nuclear plant explosion is very troubling, hopefully it doesn't cause a full meltdown. I'm also hearing that Fukushima prefecture is at high risk of another major tsunami. Thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='daphatty']Here's the USGS Map of the earthquakes and aftershocks, including this latest one. Puts everything into perspective.[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck!

BTW, Texted $10 to Red Cross. The LEAST I could do.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']How tall is Cheapy again (since he's mentioned as the tallest white man in Tokyo in the article)?

Very kind of him to do that, though I'm betting any good person would do the same. The situation described of people just wandering Tokyo in the article sounds surreal. I wonder when the trains will be back up and running.

EDIT: Um, holy shit?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/12/3162450.htm?section=world

Stay safe, folks in Japan.[/QUOTE]I know he's over 6' tall, maybe 6' 2" or 6' 3". I think he's mentioned it on one of the CAGCasts when he made it over to Japan or one of his blogs/posts back in the day.

Agreed about the "holy shit". I suppose you can earthquake proof a building only so much, though when you're talking about a 8.9 - 9.1 Richter scale earthquake, I'm sure that's something you can't quite cover since they almost never happen at that intensity.

It sounds like they're doing all they can to try and work through the issue as quickly as possible. Radiation exposure is nothing to take lightly.

bread's done
Back