Major League Baseball 2K8 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Demo Out Now

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Your garbage team has won the WS twice in 14 years you shut your damn mouth[/QUOTE]

Then we dismantle the entire team the next year.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']Then we dismantle the entire team the next year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for D-Train and Cabrera...sincerely, The Detroit Tigers :)

This game MIGHT be better since they are fixing the gameplay, although anyone with a PS3 might be better off getting the SHOW. We'll see how it shakes out soon enough.

The thing I hate more than anything are the people that live in the St Pete area and they only go to Rays games when the Yankees and Red Soxs come to town....to cheer for the Sox or Yanks. These are the people I generally get into fights with

[quote name='slickkill77']The thing I hate more than anything are the people that live in the St Pete area and they only go to Rays games when the Yankees and Red Soxs come to town....to cheer for the Sox or Yanks. These are the people I generally get into fights with[/quote]

Haha, I saw 4 Sox/Rays games at TB 2 years ago. The Sox lost 3 out of 4 so the Rays fans gave everyone shit. That was fine and I understand their position when 95% of their home field is full of the opposing teams fans but I got into a fight with some screaming douchebag Rays fan that pulled on my shirt.

Still, gotta give Rays fans respect. I thought they were gonna start fielding a good team until they went into the offseason and dealt away Dukes and Young (both assholes but good enough players.) At least they did something right by re-signing Pena.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Hopefully a demo of this hits marketplace before it ships.[/quote]
It should, they said in the gamespot interview that one would drop early Feb.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Not anymore.

Rays fans might though.

They got rid of the Devil part of their name ;)[/quote]

holy shit i didnt know this

[quote name='Ryukahn']Hopefully a demo of this hits marketplace before it ships.[/QUOTE]

seeing as there's a demo for it on ps3, i'd bet on it. nevermind, that's a different mlb game.

They've said repeatedly in the interviews that a demo will come out before the game ships; however, they also said to expect the demo in early February.

[quote name='slickkill77']The thing I hate more than anything are the people that live in the St Pete area and they only go to Rays games when the Yankees and Red Soxs come to town....to cheer for the Sox or Yanks. These are the people I generally get into fights with[/quote]
You have the heckler though! Haha that guy is awesome. I'm an A's fan and I always look forward to their road games against the Rays so I can find out who the next victim is, even if it is against my team.

Where is the fucking demo!! Game is out next week... I don't wanna buy it blind when the Show demo is so stellar...

[quote name='DestroVega']Where is the fucking demo!! Game is out next week... I don't wanna buy it blind when the Show demo is so stellar...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel the same way. I hope we get a demo the next few days or I just might pick up the Show.

it'll probably be out tomorrow if they do a demo before the game ships. new stuff usually comes out on wednesday.

The last thing I read on the game was a Game Informer preview which didn't leave me that hopeful that the game will be a significant improvement over last year's version. Also of note is that the classic stadiums and uniforms on the PS3 disk and missing from the 360 disc will be available as free DLC on the day of release.

I will probably pick up The Show this year - and promptly boot Adam Dunn's lazy ass from the Reds and bring back Josh Hamilton - like it should have been in the real world.

beside people jumping on the bandwagon...both teams have a large transplant of people retiring in Florida, as well as fans from NY and MA traveling to tampa to see a game. As it is almost cheaper to fly to tampa, stay in a hotel and go to a game with good seats then it is to buy tix from scalpers in boston or ny

as for the game, i had read that the pitching took a dramatic change. It is easy to pick up, but difficult to master.

[quote name='mykevermin']The last thing I read on the game was a Game Informer preview which didn't leave me that hopeful that the game will be a significant improvement over last year's version. Also of note is that the classic stadiums and uniforms on the PS3 disk and missing from the 360 disc will be available as free DLC on the day of release.

I will probably pick up The Show this year - and promptly boot Adam Dunn's lazy ass from the Reds and bring back Josh Hamilton - like it should have been in the real world.[/quote]

Seriously. How has that guy not been traded to the AL to become a full time DH? Watching Dunn in the OF is worth the price of admission.

I actually think Dunn is a great player, His avg improved last yr and he is an amazing hitter. His defense needs work true but in all honestly the Reds should have him at first. I would dream to have him on the Cardinals even if he was playing LF, he is still servicable at that position. What the needed last yr was bullpen help.

There are some decent starters over the past few years (Arroyo, Bailey, Harang) - but the relief pitchers and closers ruined this year somethin' fierce. If you have a batting lineup that can consistently produce 2-4 runs every game, you can't have the kind of dismal bullpen Cincinnati has and expect to win many games.

I was looking at that card list, and then I get down to #140. Couldn't stop laughing.

Flashbacks of Albert hitting that monster home run off of lidge in the 9th during the playoffs came to mind.

i don't know much about bailey...he is young so who knows how he will develope....harang is a solid pitcher, but regardless of how bad your bullpen is, when bronson arroyo is your number 2, you will not make it far. David weathers isn't bad..granted it looks like he was your closer last year, at least this year it appears he will be the setup guy. Burton appears to have had a solid season for you last year...47 appearances is a decent amount for a bullpen guy..you have a decent closer in cordero this year...IMO the fall of the reds is starting pitching, not the bullpen...assuming cordero, weathers and burton put up similiar numbers

as for the gamespot thingy...i dunno how i will like it...looking at some of the redsox and yankee players, some of them seemed retarded for the player it was named after....12 consecutive outs with mike mussina...really, mike mussina, maybe 7 - 8 years ago

[quote name='slickkill77']Well the game comes out in two days[/QUOTE]

Yeah and still no demo. I am hoping for on tomorrow but if not I will probably just pick up The Show.

I'm really interested in trying out the new pitching system. I do agree with the developers that the normal pitch system is pretty easy. You don't get too many mistake pitches. The best way I could think of to make it more challenging on The Show was to turn off hot/cold zones, ball marker, strike zone indicator and vibration. It made it more interesting but it was still really easy to make good pitches.

I hope the demo is out tomorrow.

[quote name='defiance_17']So no demo, no reviews...I'm starting to kick myself for ordering this already (but not too hard, because it was free :lol:).[/quote]
EGM's scores have shown up on metacritic, which was a 7.2 average saying:

"Fielding features the sweetest setup in years, with its simple analog-based meter. And baserunning and hitting benefit from less-complex models. Something's still missing."

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']EGM's scores have shown up on metacritic, which was a 7.2 average saying:

"Fielding features the sweetest setup in years, with its simple analog-based meter. And baserunning and hitting benefit from less-complex models. Something's still missing."[/quote]

EGM Score was B/B-/B, if that equals 72, I may not have been quite as good in school as i once thought.

[quote name='drbutchevil']EGM Score was B/B-/B, if that equals 72, I may not have been quite as good in school as i once thought.[/quote]
A C is a 5 for EGM and Metacritic.

IGN review 7.4

Notes:
-Lack of authenticity and fluidity
-Presentation/graphics/framerate inferior to MLB The Show on Sony systems
-Player models some realistic some not close
-How the jersey only flows through the wind in the midsection and not anywhere else
-Inaccurate commentary
-Soundtrack doesn't fit the game

2K7 looked a lot better than 2K8 did. 2K8 looks more cartooney. I couldn't find an option to disable the swing stick in 2K8. I don't remember it being this way last year, but they even have the swing stick for throwing the ball to bases from the outfield.

Its not perfect, far from it.

-Graphics down from last year in places
-Laziness as far as players pictures go. Bobby Abreu still wears a Phillies cap in his picture, Soriano still has Nats hat on.
-Pitching is not exact, even doing the motion shown for pitches, it still sometimes turns into a meat pitch, which is often crushed, not for homeruns, but for doubles
-Fielding is still somewhat awkward, but ALOT better than last year
-Some bugs, such as the players in the little diamonds for baserunners look nothing like the player they are to be, and their shoes are all white, regardless of actual color
-Player model quality is inconsistant, Arod looks great, whereas Pat Burrell looks absolutely nothing like him
-Frame rate on 1080p resolution? I've read this on Gamefaqs and 2k forums, but I play at the VGA monitor equiv of 720p, and have had no issues whatsoever, even in places people mentioned suck for it, such as the A's stadium
+Baserunning is easier.
+Not a homerun fest, tons of doubles, mostly off meat pitches (oops!)
+Signature Styles still look nice, Cole Hamels looks like he should when he throws
+Pitching, while not exact is alot more fun to do than in previous years because its not easy to dominate by putting pitches in the right place and hitting a face button
?Possible bug, possible feature. When runners are on base, pitcher uses max effort on every pitch, making it more difficult to throw strikes, I say possible for feature because it could be there to put more pressure on you.
?Errors are more common, not too many, but more than previous years, on both sides of the ball. A smashed ground ball isn't always an out
?Pitching meter, swing stick, and throwing meter in the field have a learning curve, this could be good or bad, I've gotten better at all 3, and it makes the game more enjoyable
?No sprint button for fielders
?Playing in Oakland, you quite often hear the sound of Sirens from a police car, or ambulance, nothing here, just thought I'd mention it

Overall, I like the game more than 2K7 and aside from the issues, it's a solid game, and I'll play it alot. I haven't played The Show since 06, so I can't give any comparisons. Nor have I done franchise, just did 3 normal games thus far. I read on gamefaqs that people who had framerate issues could have them solved by clearing your cache on your HDD, I did this before I even popped the game in and have had no issues with frame rate at all. Its not a steady 60 fps, but its also not dropping down to like 5 as some people would have you believe.

I also put in my code to get my Jose Reyes bobble head, which comes in 6-8 weeks... now I have that time to think of a creative way to destroy it, though I might keep it just to use it as a voodoo doll for their collapse in September!

[quote name='Scorch']2K7 looked a lot better than 2K8 did. 2K8 looks more cartooney. I couldn't find an option to disable the swing stick in 2K8. I don't remember it being this way last year, but they even have the swing stick for throwing the ball to bases from the outfield.[/quote]

Options. VIP settings, hit RT to go to Controls, change Batting Interface, have Classic, Swingstick and Swingstick 2.0

[quote name='DestroVega']Anyone who wants to barter their Bobblehead... lemme know..[/quote]

I have one I'd part with, but as mentioned above, they are being shipped out, not included with the game, so 6-8 weeks atleast.

[quote name='drbutchevil']I have one I'd part with, but as mentioned above, they are being shipped out, not included with the game, so 6-8 weeks atleast.[/quote]

that's fine

Here's the news on Prior...(I'm a Cubs fan)... he will never get healthy. All he ever did in Chicago was get paid to sit on the DL. Sry to break you the bad news :(

The framerate is the only thing that's bugging me right now, but I can overlook that for the good gameplay, plus I'd imagine a simple update from XBL will fix it.

bread's done
Back