Mario Kart 8 + 4 Digital Titles $75 (Wii U + 6 Games for roughly $275)

nintendokingdom

CAGiversary!
https://thegamerpad.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/special-feature-mario-kart-8-4-digital-titles-75-wii-u-6-games-for-roughly-275/

Ok I copied and pasted the steps from the link.  Here is how you do it, you gotta jump through a couple hoops.  Take 1 trip to Best Buy and spend around 15 Minutes on Club Nintendo's website.  Don't really want to get into a debate about the ethics of this, do it or don't, that's up to you

Step 1a) Buy 3 copies of Mario Kart from Best Buy.  The price currently is $60, or $48 for those with a Gamers Club Unlocked Membership.  Don’t worry though, Amazon currently has the game priced for $48.80, get Best Buy to Price Match this if you don’t have GCU.

3 Copies of Mario Kart 8 at $48.80 = $146.60 BEFORE TAX  (*$144 if you have GCU membership)

Step 2a) Open your 3 copies of Mario Kart 8 take out the Club Nintendo registration codes, and trade them back into Best Buy (you currently receive $40 credit per copy…$44 if you have GCU).

Trade- in Credit for the 3 Copies of Mario Kart 8 = $120 (*$132 if you have GCU membership)

Step 1b & 2b) The same basic idea, but you would buy 1 copy, open it, and then trade it in.  Using your $40/$44 trade in credit to buy your 2nd copy.  Then you open that, trade it in, and use the credit to buy your 3rd copy.  This way you’re only required $70 or so (after tax) cash in hand to buy your initial copy, and your end result is $$40/44 in trade-in credit instead of $120/$132

Step 3) *Ignore this step if you’ve already purchased a personal copy of Mario Kart 8 for yourself, or if you don’t want Mario Kart 8 Use your trade-in credit and now purchase your copy of Mario Kart 8.  Best Buy limits the GCU to only 3 copies of the same SKU, so those using the GCU membership might not be able to buy a 4th copy at $48.  If that is the case, this is when you use the Amazon price-match.   For those using the Amazon Price-Match for the previous 3 copies, I’m not sure how many copies they limit a customer to when performing a price-match.  The way around this would be to just ring up different transactions, or just order directly off Amazon and hope that Best Buy’s trade-in value doesn’t go down before you receive your copies.

Step 4) Go to club.nintendo.com and create/use your main account.  Then create 3 (2 if you didn’t buy a personal copy) other accounts that you will add to your family. This is explained here on their support site.

Step 5) Register all 4 (3 if you didn’t buy a personal copy) and then select a different free game for each one.  Write-down, save, copy, etc your Redeem Codes.

Step 6) Boot up your Wii U, go to the eShop and select “Download Code” at the top of the eShop menu.  Enter in each of your codes individually and you should end up with all 4 digital downloads.  *If you don’t have a Wii U yet you can hold onto these codes until they expire, but I’m not sure when that exactly is.  If you order a refurbished Wii U and are waiting on it to ship to you, you should be fine if you redeem it when you get your Wii U.

Summary) Following Steps 1A & 2A You will spend roughly $146.60 + TAX on purchasing 3 copies of Mario Kart 8.  You will then turn that $146.60 + TAX into $120 ($132 if you have GCU) Best Buy Store Credit PLUS the 3

Redeem Codes.   If you do Steps 1B & 2B you’ll spend $48.80 + TAX initially, and then $8.80 on each of the other 2 copies, costing you $66.40, turning that into $40 store credit PLUS the 3 Redeem Codes (GCU Members Spend $56 and end up with $44 store credit) .

If you follow Steps 1A/2A or 1B/2B depends on how much it bothers you to turn cash into store-credit, and/or how much of a hassle it is for you to break things up into several transactions.

You then use your remaining store credit on the final copy of Mario Kart 8, which you keep for yourself and gives you the 4th Redeem code.  Or you can just keep the credit for another time.

BONUS) If you have a Deluxe Wii U and are part of the Digital Deluxe Promotion you will receive Reward points for every one of these “free” purchases. The points should go Wii Party U (399), NSMBU (499), Pikmin 3 (599) and Zelda Wind Waker (349).  Which is 1846 Points.  You get a $5 giftcard for every 500 points.  This means you’ll receive $15 in Nintendo eShop Giftcard and be 144 points away from another $5 (This might be incorrect, but I believe when you use your $15 eShop Giftcard, that will be another 150 points).

MORE BONUS) If you’re a Best Buy Rewards Member you should receive 2x points for every video game purchase.  That means you’ll receive 96 points for every Mario Kart 8 you purchase.  If you purchase 3 that’s 288 points, 4 copies would be 384.  $5 Reward Cards are rewarded for every 250 points.  You earned another $5 in Best Buy Store Credit

SIDE BONUS) The Gamers Club Unlocked Membership is currently on sale for $60 for a 2 year subscription.  This gives you 20% off all new game purchases and 10% extra in trade-in.   This will pay for itself if there are 5 games you plan on buying at $60 MSRP in the next 2 years.

FINAL RESULTS) Those who haven’t purchased Mario Kart 8 for themselves yet will spend roughly $75 for a personal copy of Mario Kart 8 and all 4 Digital Downloads (some of the Wii U’s best games), $20 in eShop Store Credit and a $5 Best Buy Reward Certificate if you follow Steps 1B & 2B.  Steps 1A & 2A would result in you spending around $150 and recieiving Mario Kart 8, All 4 Digital Downloads, $20 in eShop Store Credit and $120 in Trade-in Credit ($132if you’re a GCU Member) and a $5 Best Buy Rewards Certificate.

If you already own Mario Kart 8, you’re looking at spending around $65 and getting the other 3 Digital Copies, $15 in eShop Store Credit, a $5 Best Buy Reward Certificate and $40 ($44 if you have GCU) in Store Credit.  That’s turning $65 cash into $60 in random credits ($64 for GCU) plus getting all 3 Digital Copies

Last edited by a moderator:
I WANT to say:  This isn't a "deal" it's exploiting it.  Whether you find it "right" or "wrong" on a moral level shouldn't matter.  IMO this shouldn't be posted here, period.  CLEARLY this wasn't what Nintendo intended when they were awesome enough to offer a free game (guessing this is basically their solution to the ambassador program for 3DS except this is to say thanks to new people jumping aboard) so I'm not sure how or why it's even being debated...it shouldn't be here.  I guess if Cheapy D says it's ok it obviously has to be ok but allowing stuff like this to be here undermines the whole site.

But in reality:  Not much I can say other then it's always a little sleazy to trade in a single game multiple times.  Nintendo is still getting the sales from the initial purchases, BB is still getting the business and trade ins...and since the free game is "free" AFTER a purchase and you're still purchasing something then they'll good on that front as well.

Unfortunately for me I really don't want any of the other games.  I've already played Pikmin 3, have Zelda already, got NSMB with my MK8 purchase (which I got for a net $30 new anyway) and Wii U Party doesn't really interest me...my kids might like it but honestly not sure if it's worth even the trip over there.

Cool post, but any true Nintendo fan should have all those games hard copy.
True. How many Wii U owners don't already have at least 1 or 2 of these games? 2 of them have been in system bundles and 3 out of 4 seem like must own games for the system.

Never mind the fact that Nintendo gets to sell four copies of a new game during launch month. Really not seeing any downside for Nintendo in the situation.
I don't see much downside either. I'm gonna guess Nintendo would rather sell 4 copies instead of 1. By doing this promo, they should expect to give a free digital game for each copy of MK8 sold and that is what is happening assuming MK8 buyers are aware of the Club Nintendo deal. Whether 1 person gets 4 games or 4 people each get 1 game, why does that matter to Nintendo? They get to sell extra copies of MK8 instead of maybe or maybe not selling copies of Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, or Wii Party U. Getting these games is also another reason to buy a Wii U now if you don't already have one. Putting more systems in homes is obviously a good thing for Nintendo.

The only downside I see for Nintendo is having more used copies out there than normal and that doesn't seem like it justifies the outrage of some people in this thread.

Not being a Wii-U owner, take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the only problem I can foresee (and unlikely at that) would be if enough people simply bought out the local stock of new copies entirely to exploit / take advantage of this promo, leaving only used copies available. I'm sure that's not going to be the case in most areas, if not nearly all of them, but it's still something to consider.

Otherwise, idgaf.

I don't really care too much what other people are doing either way but just a thought I have is that if you're someone who can afford to drop $150, even temporarily, you clearly have the means to legitimately buy your games comfortably without resorting to doing things like this. You should probably take a step back and really consider what you're doing.

I get it if you're a poor college student but I'm guessing the people doing this have fortunate enough circumstances.

The things people go through for a couple free games.

I read stuff like this and can't imagine some CAG members having jobs or anything at all going on in their lives.

I just bought a code for $15 and I didn't even have to make a family account. Just two club nintendo accounts works for these digital games.

A lot easier then going to worst buy. 

I just bought a code for $15 and I didn't even have to make a family account. Just two club nintendo accounts works for these digital games.

A lot easier then going to worst buy.
Not sure your point though, the point in making the family account is that you keep all your points/rewards on ONE account. It's just as easy to make a family account as it is to make a new account... you're actually hurting yourself by doing it the way you did.

Not sure your point though, the point in making the family account is that you keep all your points/rewards on ONE account. It's just as easy to make a family account as it is to make a new account... you're actually hurting yourself by doing it the way you did.
Agreed.

But right now i can't even get the email to activate my family account. >.>

long term this deal definitely helps Nintendo.  I had no plans at all to buy a Wii U, but due to the E3 presentations (new first party games in the fall/next year) and this specific deal I bought a refurb Wii U from Nintendo for myself and another for my nephew so our families can play online.  

I ended up buying 5 copies of MK8 at Target, traded 3 of them into Best Buy to cover future pre-orders, and kept all the inserts for extra Wii U games.  I don't really see how anyone loses.  Nintendo is going to have a HUGE boost of MK8 sales.  Target got $35 each copy, maybe not a great profit margin (probably costs them $25-32) but they aren't losing money and they need sales boosts after last year.  Best Buy will find people to buy the used, pristine copy at $50 and make money, plus they now have $120 of future spending from me, guaranteed.

The things people go through for a couple free games.

I read stuff like this and can't imagine some CAG members having jobs or anything at all going on in their lives.
People have varying circumstances. Some have more time than money, others have more money than sense, and yet others are just bad at math and don't consider sunk costs when they start thinking they're getting over on someone and pulling a fast one.

Sure, if you're a 30-40 year old salaryman with a solid job getting you better than the median household income, and dealing with a wife and kids, well... saving $30-$40 on games you'll probably not have time to play, this most certainly isn't even worth the couple of minutes to do the math to figure if it's worth your time.

If you're a 20 year old college student that's home for the summer and only pulling 20-30 hours on a summer internship or a part time job while you're waiting for the semester to start, this might be worth your time- you'll probably not play them over the summer, but there's value in squirreling away games in your Steam account and for your consoles because you'll have the time and money to get them now, but when the fall semester starts, you'll likely not have the money to buy new games.

If you're a 16 year old kid that's putting in as much time as they can at their summer job, you're got more time and money AND likely hours that are more flexible to let you run around and do this "grinding out" of value that such things would require- and just by the nature of things, you're far more likely to be time rich and cash poor.

While I don't exactly know the demographics of the site, I'd guess that there's probably a lot more in the under 30 bracket than the over 30.

this specific deal doesn't work anymore since Target isn't giving $15 per preorder card anymore, and the trade in value for MK8 has dropped at GS/Best Buy.

Next week (this sunday) target will have b2g1 free on Wii U games, so you may be able to buy 3 for $98 after PM'ing amazon

this specific deal doesn't work anymore since Target isn't giving $15 per preorder card anymore, and the trade in value for MK8 has dropped at GS/Best Buy.

Next week (this sunday) target will have b2g1 free on Wii U games, so you may be able to buy 3 for $98 after PM'ing amazon
The BB website says Mario Kart 8 trades for $28 + 50% bonus = $42 and then you can PM amazon to $48. Isn't that close enough of a deal?

The BB website says Mario Kart 8 trades for $28 + 50% bonus = $42 and then you can PM amazon to $48. Isn't that close enough of a deal?
Yes you are correct. And if you have GCU at Best Buy you'll be able to purchase MK8 for $48 and you'll get an extra 10% trade in. I'm not sure if that extra 10% is an added $2.80 or an added $4.20. So you're looking at either $44.80 trade in credit or $46.20 trade in.

Yes you are correct. And if you have GCU at Best Buy you'll be able to purchase MK8 for $48 and you'll get an extra 10% trade in. I'm not sure if that extra 10% is an added $2.80 or an added $4.20. So you're looking at either $44.80 trade in credit or $46.20 trade in.
I don't have GCU unfortunately. Is it a good enough of a deal to buy it for $48 and trade in for $42? Then do that 3 times?

Will the Bestbuy trade in value still be $42 on Sunday?
He means go get the games now from target, trade them in to best buy, then go back to target and be all like "OMG I OVERPAID ON THESE GAMES I HAD NO IDEA YOUD BE DOING A SALE ON THIS WOW" (lol) and get a partial refund, instead of taking the risk to pricematch the games next week, having the promo apply, and praying that BB's TIVs doesn't tank... Much.

In hindsight, his way is much better and safer because you could always buy another three games (if you can pricematch and use the promo to save even more) and then return them with the original receipt to get your money back.

Is there a way to redeem one of the codes without having a wii u yet?
You can redeem the Mario Kart 8 to get a code for one of the free games without a Wii U (via the club nintendo website). I wouldn't have a clue on how to activate said game without a wii u in case you were asking for that information

Let me rephrase: I have a regular Wii, and a club nintendo account. I'd like to buy 2 copies (trade 1, keep 1) to redeem 2 of the free games. Is this possible without having the Wii U system yet?

twick87 said:
Let me rephrase: I have a regular Wii, and a club nintendo account. I'd like to buy 2 copies (trade 1, keep 1) to redeem 2 of the free games. Is this possible without having the Wii U system yet?
I haven't done it yet but I assume you just get a download code to enter on the Wii U shop. So I don't see why you can't do that and just save the codes. They will be good for longer than end of July (just need to redeem the Mario Kart code on Club Nintendo by then).

I haven't done it yet but I assume you just get a download code to enter on the Wii U shop. So I don't see why you can't do that and just save the codes. They will be good for longer than end of July (just need to redeem the Mario Kart code on Club Nintendo by then).
Ah okay, thank you. Can someone who has already redeemed the free game tell me the expiration date on their code? More specifically, the expiration date on the code for Wind Waker HD

Also, can I set up the "family accounts" via the club nintendo website or do I have to have the Wii U system to do that?

Yes, you may do it. Even without a wii u, you'll be emailed codes to the games you redeemed your MK8codes for.

Yeah, you can set up the family account stuff on the web site (in fact you have to). I would think maybe the game codes have no expiration, actually.

Ah okay, thank you. Can someone who has already redeemed the free game tell me the expiration date on their code? More specifically, the expiration date on the code for Wind Waker HD
Also, can I set up the "family accounts" via the club nintendo website or do I have to have the Wii U system to do that?
Yeah, you can set up the family account stuff on the web site (in fact you have to). I would think maybe the game codes have no expiration, actually.
All the codes expire 9/30/14

http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/mobile/

Basically use your CN code by 7/31
Choose your game by 8/31
Use your code by 9/30

I just received and setup my $200 refurb Wii U (looks brand new) yesterday so I can tell you exactly what to do.  You can totally activate the MK8 club nintendo pins on http://club.nintendo.com.  You want to activate one on your main account, and then create children account, logoff your main account, and then login your children account and activate extra MK8 codes on each child account.  To access the child account creation page click the "Account and Coins" link on your main CN account after you login, its on the bottom right of the first page.  Set the birthday to at least 1999 on all child accounts, since you must be 13 years or older to get a free game (no clue why).

The coin/activation process is a multi step process.  First you enter the CN pin code from the red insert onto the web site.  It accepts it, and then starts the survey process.  You can skip that for now (or do it), the survey earns 50-70 coins and is available for 1 month after you activate the code.  A few minutes (3-10) after you activate the code, a new option appears on the CN site of "buying" your free game.  Do this for each child account you create, each will have its own survey/free game entry.

HOWEVER, it is beneficial to wait until you have your Wii U before doing any of this.  The reason is that a Wii U deluxe model triggers the Digital Deluxe Promo on http://p.nintendo.net/deluxe   For each $59 game you "buy" on the eShop, you earn 599 DDP points and every 500 points gives you a $5 eShop credit.  I activated 3 MK8 codes (2 child accounts) after setting up my Wii U and logging into it with my Nintendo Network ID and setting up my Club Nintendo connection, and 24 hours later got $15 eShop credit from DDP, which will almost pay for the Luigi U DLC for SMBU.  All told I paid $22 and got 4 games and $15 in eShop credit and a couple hundred CN points, thanks Target!

There is no way to get the DDP to start/trigger off a NNID account until you actually log into an unregistered new deluxe Wii U.  The $200 refurb Wii U's count, or at least mine did (ordered last week).

I was able to activate and install all of my free games from the MK8 promo without having to "earn" any more CN points, they are all surveys that will be available for another 30 days.  I'm waiting until July 1st (new CN calendar year) to run them, since I already have plat status this year.

since you must be 13 years or older to get a free game (no clue why)
I've read all through Nintendo's promotional FAQ and can't find where it says this. How do you know?

I'm asking b/c I already have one "child's" account and I don't remember the bday I put on it but I think it was in the 2000s. And I can't figure out a way to change the bday on that account. Obviously, I want to keep my extraneous accounts as few as possible.

We also know because someone on one of the threads tried it and effectively lost their code as a result. They got the Club Nintendo coins but did not get the free game promo survey/code.

We also know because someone on one of the threads tried it and effectivelt lost their code as a result. They got the Club Nintendo coins but did not get the free game promo survey/code.
Actually no. I have my 7 years old brother on my account and he can redeem the free game, but we have to go through a couple extra loops including emailing nintendo support and having a wii u serial number.

So nobody lost anything, it's just much more difficult to get the game.

Sabrages said:
Actually no. I have my 7 years old brother on my account and he can redeem the free game, but we have to go through a couple extra loops including emailing nintendo support and having a wii u serial number.

So nobody lost anything, it's just much more difficult to get the game.
Ah, OK. Last I had heard you (or someone else) said they effectively lost the code. Still, sounds like a pain. If someone is starting fresh, they definitely want to make the age of the sub account over 13.

bread's done
Back