Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle $329.99! Plus free Wii U game

JamesKelly09

CAGiversary!
Nintendo has announced a Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe bundle for North America. Featuring a 32GB Wii U, a copy of Mario Kart 8, a red racing wheel, and a red Mario Wii Remote Plus controller, the package will cost $329.99 on May 30.

Additionally, anyone who registers a copy of Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, 2014 can redeem one free Wii U game from a selection of four. 

Nintendo is offering a digital copy of Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, or Wii Party U

Will update later with links!!!

MK8Bundle_Front_1.jpg

Plus anyone else who buys Mario Kart 8 game retail or digital will still be able to register for the free game!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The features are pretty much on par, and as for the horsepower...where do people get this insane idea that there's a huge difference? There isn't. The PS4 and Xbone made one of the smallest jumps in power from their predecessors in gaming history. The Wii U is weaker, yes, but not by nearly as much as some people will try to make others believe.
This isn't true. At all. There is a massive gulf between PS4 and Wii U. PS4 has barely stretched out its legs, we've already seen the best visuals and the OS features the Wii U will ever have to offer.

Because they are dirty trolls who do this in every Nintendo thread. Haven't you noticed yet?
Please. The only people currently adding nothing to discussion are the ones crying "troll". This bundle is pretty damn weak and any CAG who follows Wii U prices should know that. Unless you get off on special edition boxes, how is this any better than the Nintendoland and NSMB bundles that have recently gone on sale? I'm kicking myself for passing those up when this the same damn SKU only now with Mario Kart and a garish wiimote (that I don't need). Not saying it's a total ripoff, but it's certainly not the best deal we've seen on this. I'm just disappointed. It'll be cheaper for me to buy these things separately.

WTF. Why can't we disagree without you qualifying my opinion as trolling? Grow the fuck up. I'm not having some idiotic debate about who the "bigger Nintendo" fan is. It's because of defensive cretins like you that I feel the need to even make the "I love Nintendo" disclaimer, but I no longer give a shit if you believe it.

Everything I've said about Wii U's hardware, features and library stands. You can deflect all you like but the facts remain. It's comparatively under-powered, has a weak third party forecast and lacks a feature set seen on most modern set top devices. Does that make it inherently a bad purchase? NO! I never said that. Again, I appreciate the Wii U for what it fucking is and will be buying one before Mario Kart releases. But I absolutely do not think it is worth what Nintendo has priced it at. That's what we do on this site...discuss value. I have just as much right to express my displeasure at this bundle's price as you do to be satisfied with it.

I spent the latter half of the very post you quoted extolling the values of Nintendo. READ, son. I don't have to think they're infallible to be a fan, and I sure as hell don't have to think every so-called "bundle" they put out is a gift to mankind. If it works for you, fantastic. In true CAG fashion I'll be seeking out what I think is the better deal.
Yea, umm, I'm not with him on that. I realize that you're posting honest opinions. I just happen to not agree with them.

Wii U's issue isn't of pricing... I think it's more of the image they created for themselves with the OG Wii. It was a "casual" system. I say that lightly because the majority of the Xbox/Playstation demographic think that games like Call of Duty are hardcore gaming. Regardless, the Wii is known more as a "kiddy" console. The moniker they adopted does little to separate the Wii U from its older brother. Many don't even know that it is it's own console and not a Wii add-on. Aside from that, the bulk of the market that the original Wii tapped into probably isn't as interested in buying another console. The Wii was a gimmick for them. They bought it and grew tired of it. The Wii U just has no direction.

You sound like you don't like fun games. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer, there are plenty of people who like to play games simply because they're fun, which is why I support Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't need to go into hardcore gaming to get fans. People who grew up with Nintendo know what they're about so the fact that you're saying that Nintendo's problem is that they're casual is stupid.

...the market that the original Wii tapped into probably isn't as interested in buying another console. The Wii was a gimmick for them. They bought it and grew tired of it. The Wii U just has no direction.
I agree with this statement.

I also think the free game w/ MK8 promo is excellent, especially with the version included in this bundle (presumably).

I do, however, think the slightly higher price-tag offsets the "deal" that is the free bonus game.

WTF. Why can't we disagree without you qualifying my opinion as trolling? Grow the fuck up. I'm not having some idiotic debate about who the "bigger Nintendo" fan is. It's because of defensive cretins like you that I feel the need to even make the "I love Nintendo" disclaimer, but I no longer give a shit if you believe it.

Everything I've said about Wii U's hardware, features and library stands. You can deflect all you like but the facts remain. It's comparatively under-powered, has a weak third party forecast and lacks a feature set seen on most modern set top devices. Does that make it inherently a bad purchase? NO! I never said that. Again, I appreciate the Wii U for what it fucking is and will be buying one before Mario Kart releases. But I absolutely do not think it is worth what Nintendo has priced it at. That's what we do on this site...discuss value. I have just as much right to express my displeasure at this bundle's price as you do to be satisfied with it.

I spent the latter half of the very post you quoted extolling the values of Nintendo. READ, son. I don't have to think they're infallible to be a fan, and I sure as hell don't have to think every so-called "bundle" they put out is a gift to mankind. If it works for you, fantastic. In true CAG fashion I'll be seeking out what I think is the better deal.
Hey man, I feel your pain, but you just can't argue with people like this. god knows I've tried. Most recently, I was BANNED from a site before for simply noting out how ridiculous it is that people support Super Mario HD Land for a GOTY award while bashing titles like Bioshock Infinite.........a week before HD Land was even released! To say that people take their support of Nintendo seriously is an understatement.... and I rarely meet Sony/MS/PC fans half as devoted as some of these Nintendo fanboys.

It's really not much of a stretch to say that some fans literally worship Nintendo. The Japanese have an insult that's pretty common.... it translates to something like Nintendo-gods or something I think.... Either way, I can't think of another company short of the NFL/NBA/MLB that has such devout followers and blind loyalty, and it astounds me to no end the length to which these fans will go to defend even the most greedy, asinine bullshit Nintendo pulls.

I'm not saying there are those in this thread like that, just heavily implying it ;)

Last edited:
So if you didn't own a wii u yet, would it be better to buy the current mario u/luigi u bundle and order mk8 at best buy with gcu for 48.00?
Hard to say. If the Mario/luigi set goes on sale, then it's probably the way to go. I think in your case, it depends if you value the Wiimote or need it and are willing to pay $30 for it and the wheel. I'm still debating. If the MK bundle was below $300, I'd probably go with it as I already have Mario u for the day I pick up a Wii U.

So if you didn't own a wii u yet, would it be better to buy the current mario u/luigi u bundle and order mk8 at best buy with gcu for 48.00?
I would still wait for the Mario Kart 8 bundle. Mario/Luigi Bundle is $288 on Amazon, but for $42 more you would get Mario Kart 8, an additional Wii Remote Plus, ($35 value) and the Wheel (Meh $5 value but Red is a new color).

(Edit)

Although this being said when the Nintendo Store comes back up the $200 Refurbished Deluxe Wii U would be a good deal. Then you could get MK8 at $48 from Best Buy and get the other accessories if you want them.

Hard to say. If the Mario/luigi set goes on sale, then it's probably the way to go. I think in your case, it depends if you value the Wiimote or need it and are willing to pay $30 for it and the wheel. I'm still debating. If the MK bundle was below $300, I'd probably go with it as I already have Mario u for the day I pick up a Wii U.
I have a couple wheels and wii motes from our older wii...they're compatible right?

When Sony and microsoft have sales and promos, nobody talks shit. :/ they bitch that Nintendo never does it. Then when Nintendo does it, they jump on the "Nintendo is doomed & this awesome deal is proof!" bandwagon. Ps3 and 360 sales seem to scream "we're so desperate to make you play this that we're selling it for $5 since you won't get it under normal circumstances!" Great for my wallet but not to motivate me to buy anything at launch.

At this very moment, it's hard to say since there aren't any sales (as far as I know). But various bundles have gone for as little as ~230 (ebay, newegg). Nintendo is also selling for 200 refurbished, but the store is down until May 9th. I guess it really depends on your situation. I already have several wiimotes, lol. I also have the plastic wheel from the last Mario Kart.

My question is whether new Wii U bundle uses new BATTERY PACK (2550MAH)?
EXCELLENT question and part of the reason I've been waiting. I figured they might phase in the new battery like they did with wiimote motion+. That would definitely be worth the extra money, but as far as I can tell this isn't the case. These appear to be the same SKU but repackaged with Mario Kart.

My question is whether new Wii U bundle uses new BATTERY PACK (2550MAH)?

At this very moment, it's hard to say since there aren't any sales (as far as I know). But various bundles have gone for as little as ~230 (ebay, newegg). Nintendo is also selling for 200 refurbished, but the store is down until May 9th. I guess it really depends on your situation. I already have several wiimotes, lol. I also have the plastic wheel from the last Mario Kart.

EXCELLENT question and part of the reason I've been waiting. I figured they might phase in the new battery like they did with wiimote motion+. That would definitely be worth the extra money, but as far as I can tell this isn't the case. These appear to be the same SKU but repackaged with Mario Kart.
No way would Nintendo ever put the new battery in these MK8 bundles. Keep in mind, they probably had tons of unsold Wii U consoles tht went into this bundle, with tons of gamepads that have the weaker battery. Why they didn't put a better battery into the gamepad to begin with is a mystery to almost everyone, but really not that surprising. They're not known for providing cutting edge anything these days, and they seem to aim for the lowest possible hardware specs, to save money. That goes for the gamepad battery along with everything else.

If you want the new battery, you're going to have to pay extra for it, plain and simple. $35 from Play Asia and God Knows How Much from Nintendo directly.

When Sony and microsoft have sales and promos, nobody talks shit. :/ they bitch that Nintendo never does it. Then when Nintendo does it, they jump on the "Nintendo is doomed & this awesome deal is proof!" bandwagon. Ps3 and 360 sales seem to scream "we're so desperate to make you play this that we're selling it for $5 since you won't get it under normal circumstances!" Great for my wallet but not to motivate me to buy anything at launch.
Where the fuck have you been? This is EXACTLY what everyone has been saying about Xbox One with their price drop and game included. No one has said anything about the PS4 yet because they haven't really had a promotion and this promo that Nintendo is doing is something I've never seen before.

If you want the new battery, you're going to have to pay extra for it, plain and simple. $35 from Play Asia and God Knows How Much from Nintendo directly.
It was $30 at the Nintendo store before it went down plus shipping. Use to be $32 when it first was sold in NA. Still cheaper than importing on play-Asia.

But seriously, you're absolutely right. No way there are new batteries in there when they have so many unsold units.
I went into a store the other day, asked if they had a wii & the clerk told me "We use to have wii u's, but they didn't sell so we returned them". I wonder how many stores did this.

Kinda off topic but I needed some opinions please ....I'm going to buy a Wii U today but I'm not sure which offer is the best

1. For 200 :                                                                       

Black Deluxe Wii U Console (32GB)
Wii U Black GamePad Zelda Edition
Sensor Bar
Wii U GamePad Cradle
Wii U GamePad Stand
Wii U Console Stand Feet X2
Wii U Pro Controller X2
All Cables

2. For 130

White Wii U Console (8GB).....Own 32 GB flashdrive

Sensor Bar

Gamepad

6 games (non super good)

All Cables

Wii Mote

Kinda off topic but I needed some opinions please ....I'm going to buy a Wii U today but I'm not sure which offer is the best

1. For 200 :
Sensor Bar
Wii U GamePad Cradle
Wii U GamePad Stand
Wii U Pro Controller X2
All Cables

2. For 130
Sensor Bar
Gamepad
6 games (non super good)
All Cables
Wii Mote
Option 1 is a great value. The two pro controllers makes it worth it alone in my opinion.

Yes, I would go with option #1 as long as it's New / In great condition :) I find the Wii U Pro Controllers to be much better for Mario / Etc. than the dpad on the Wiimotes!

I've just looked through my coin history on the Club Nintendo website and I don't see a redeemed code for my copy of New Super Mario Bros. U+Luigi...which was included in the bundle I bought before Xmas.

Can anyone else verify if their bundled game came with a Club Nintendo registration code? If there's no code, then there's no free game with the bundle.

I originally bought a launch bundle, but ended up returning it within a couple days, and I don't see a redeemed code for Nintendoland either.

(I'm going to go check the system packaging to see if I missed it in with the manuals and I'll report back.)

1. For 200 :

Sensor Bar
Wii U GamePad Cradle
Wii U GamePad Stand
Wii U Pro Controller X2
All Cables

2. For 130

Sensor Bar

Gamepad

6 games (non super good)

All Cables

Wii Mote
What are the games with the 8GB? I'd say get that and just use the flash drive or eventually get your own HDD either way since $130 is a steal.

I've just looked through my coin history on the Club Nintendo website and I don't see a redeemed code for my copy of New Super Mario Bros. U+Luigi...which was included in the bundle I bought before Xmas.

Can anyone else verify if their bundled game came with a Club Nintendo registration code? If there's no code, then there's no free game with the bundle.

I originally bought a launch bundle, but ended up returning it within a couple days, and I don't see a redeemed code for Nintendoland either.

(I'm going to go check the system packaging to see if I missed it in with the manuals and I'll report back.)
I believe some launch bundles in 2012 were accidentally shipped without CN codes for Nintendo Land. I think mine may have been one of those that missed on a code. But for the most part they were all suppose to include it, maybe the NSMBU code is in a digital manual in the game or something? Just an idea.

I have to say I really hope Mario Kart 8 boosts system sales a bit. Mario 3D World only pushed the system from like 60k in Oct 2013 to 225k in Nov 2013 despite the holidays. Then again, XB1 and PS4 launched too so you can argue those ate all the money consumers would have spent on the Wii U. Then in Dec 2013 the Wii U rebounded in the US to 450k I think so it showed signs of holiday life.

If Mario Kart 8 can't make the system break 150k during the month then things will be very bad. A year ago I would've thought that it would have no trouble pushing past 300k in May/June but with how little Mario 3D World, Pikmin and DKC helped system sales I have my expectations set low.

I imagine the $30 extra price is to make some profit on the system. They likely don't mind losing money on Mario Kart or the second free game since those have already made as much money as they are going to. I wouldn't be surprised if this bundle is sold at a $10-$15 profit and Nintendo hopes it will please investors to have a small profit on the system rather than more units sold.

Please. The only people currently adding nothing to discussion are the ones crying "troll". This bundle is pretty damn weak and any CAG who follows Wii U prices should know that. Unless you get off on special edition boxes, how is this any better than the Nintendoland and NSMB bundles that have recently gone on sale? I'm kicking myself for passing those up when this the same damn SKU only now with Mario Kart and a garish wiimote (that I don't need). Not saying it's a total ripoff, but it's certainly not the best deal we've seen on this. I'm just disappointed. It'll be cheaper for me to buy these things separately.
So what is Nintendo supposed to do? Take an even bigger loss and upset investors more? Further, Iwata clearly knows (and many more on their exec staff) that their jobs are on the line so they can't make this bundle like $250 or anything less than $330. They are likely trying to make a small profit off this bundle to stop posting losses.

I understand that this isn't a great deal in terms of past deals for say the $250 8GB Skylanders SKU or Nintendo's own refurbed 32GB for $200, but to expect them to do anything cheaper than maybe $300 is completely unrealistic and out of touch with what is going on with their business.

Look at 3DS. They posted massive losses on it from July 2011 until August 2012. In August 2012 Nintendo finally said the system was being sold at a profit again but of course this coincided with the XL's release. It literally took them a year plus more to turn a profit on the $170 3DS, the Wii U has to be even worse since it has the Game Pad's screen which is costly ($80+) and the fact that it uses specific, not common hardware like PowerPC which don't decrease in production costs as fast as something like the ARM processors in 3DS or the AMD processors in XB1/PS4

So what is Nintendo supposed to do? Take an even bigger loss and upset investors more? Further, Iwata clearly knows (and many more on their exec staff) that their jobs are on the line so they can't make this bundle like $250 or anything less than $330. They are likely trying to make a small profit off this bundle to stop posting losses.

I understand that this isn't a great deal in terms of past deals for say the $250 8GB Skylanders SKU or Nintendo's own refurbed 32GB for $200, but to expect them to do anything cheaper than maybe $300 is completely unrealistic and out of touch with what is going on with their business.

Look at 3DS. They posted massive losses on it from July 2011 until August 2012. In August 2012 Nintendo finally said the system was being sold at a profit again but of course this coincided with the XL's release. It literally took them a year plus more to turn a profit on the $170 3DS, the Wii U has to be even worse since it has the Game Pad's screen which is costly ($80+) and the fact that it uses specific, not common hardware like PowerPC which don't decrease in production costs as fast as something like the ARM processors in 3DS or the AMD processors in XB1/PS4
100% in agreement with you. Thank you for the reasonable response. This is obviously a very bullish move on their part. For all the reasons you state. Not disputing that. I was speaking purely from a consumer's POV. This just isn't a good deal, even for non-CAG types. It's not a "bad" deal per se, but people acting like Nintendo has done us a favor are kidding themselves. This is only a "bundle" in the most literal sense, lol. Bundles are typically designed to save people a few bucks. WHERE are the savings here? How has this lowered the barrier to entry for people previously on the fence? That's where my concern lies. I don't want Nintendo to lose money either, but I have my doubts as to how well this can do when similarly-priced SKUs have failed to make an impact. Difference being that Mario Kart is a franchise that always does incredibly well for them, so who knows. I hope it can help.

1. For 200 :

Sensor Bar
Wii U GamePad Cradle
Wii U GamePad Stand
Wii U Pro Controller X2
All Cables

2. For 130

Sensor Bar

Gamepad

6 games (non super good)

All Cables

Wii Mote
Where is this? I would get whatever you don't end up getting. Good prices, there.

bread's done
Back