Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='PhoenixT']Pardon my ignorance but how do you avoid the slowing effect of the pow block?[/QUOTE]

If you time your hop right you can avoid it. Hard to do but I have done it a few times. You can also avoid it if you are in the air over a jump.

[quote name='pezdspncr']yes....in fact I picked up my copy today while I was there buying milk :)[/quote]

And, thusly, it wound up the other way around!

[quote name='PhoenixT']Pardon my ignorance but how do you avoid the slowing effect of the pow block?[/quote]

You can negate POW completely if you are in the air. A more consistent alternative is the pull up in the wiimote as the POW hits (or just shake furiously). You will spin out and lose your items, but you keep your momentum, instead of coming to a complete stop.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']You can negate POW completely if you are in the air. A more consistent alternative is the pull up in the wiimote as the POW hits (or just shake furiously). You will spin out and lose your items, but you keep your momentum, instead of coming to a complete stop.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that only for bikes? Doesn't seem to work for karts.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Apparently, the game doesn't mind screwing you over when you play online - I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I ended up in a 2 vs. 1 battle as the one...and I think you're all smart enough to guess the outcome. :bomb:

So far, no other bad online experiences, but that was a frustrating match - being double teamed on the Cookie map (probably one of the smallest) by one giant character and one invincible one blows.[/quote]

LOL this happened but I was the 2 and me and my buddy pwnt the 1 hahah poor guy I think he gave up.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Isn't that only for bikes? Doesn't seem to work for karts.[/quote]Nope, works just fine for carts too.

[quote name='lilboo']Now I have NO idea on how the hell you get 2 and 3 star ratings :shock:[/quote]

I managed to get two stars in the banana cup 50cc. Did a lot of drifting around corners but didn't take any shortcuts that were available in tracks 2 and 3. Did get hit in the second track from a cannonball explosion that I didn't think would hit me and I don't remember getting hit much by enemy items as I think I usually had a shell or banana to block most of them.

Don't remember much else I did to obtain it.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']God, when I first started playing this, it made me miss "real" manual mini-turbos SOOOO much. I still do, in fact. =([/quote]

There is nothing stopping you from still doing the motion. I know I still do it out of habit ;)

So, in this one, are mini-turbos charged by drifting with the turn instead of rocking back and forth? That seems to be the case but I just wanted to make sure.

[quote name='JoeB1233']So, in this one, are mini-turbos charged by drifting with the turn instead of rocking back and forth? That seems to be the case but I just wanted to make sure.[/quote]

Yep, just drift with the turn. The longer your hold the drift, the more mini-turbo you build up. Orange sparks being the most charged up.

There is something to be said for the rocking motion, though. It's not just time as you are able to with a hard steer to engage that orange spark faster.

Ok, this game so far is awesome, and I've only done 50cc grand prix.

I have noob questions though....

Does anyone know how to get a boost after going up a ramp and landing? Can this be done with all vehicles, and how?

Also, which control type are you guys liking most? I could not for the life of me get used to the wheel, which annoyed me because I really wanted to get skilled with it. So I went with the gc controller instead, which is pretty comfortable so far. Any advice on the wheel?

[quote name='daroga']There is something to be said for the rocking motion, though. It's not just time as you are able to with a hard steer to engage that orange spark faster.[/quote]

That is true. I've noticed when drifting a corner extremely tight, the orange sparks seems to come much faster.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Does anyone know how to get a boost after going up a ramp and landing? Can this be done with all vehicles, and how?[/quote]

Right when you go off the ramp, flick the Wii Remote (wether it's in the Wheel or not) and you should perform a trick for a speedboost when you land. Works on bikes and carts.

As for a gamecube controller... I have no idea how and haven't looked into it.

[quote name='Draekon']Right when you go off the ramp, flick the Wii Remote (wether it's in the Wheel or not) and you should perform a trick for a speedboost when you land. Works on bikes and carts.

As for a gamecube controller... I have no idea how and haven't looked into it.[/quote]

Oh thanks! I actually just figured out the gamecube controller's trick too, all I do to trigger it is push up and down on the d-pad.

This game is so overwhelming at first, you just wanna try everything out.

if your talking about jumps then on the wheel at least you shake the wheel and it does a "trick" which gives you a boost when you land. On the GC controller I"m not sure but I "think" you press up on the dpad when you jump and it will do a trick. You just have to time it right is all.

Picking this up after class tonight, and I will be sending out friend requests.

I've already had a few people send them to me...keep 'em coming!

EDIT NVM, I'm really getting the hang of this! This is really the most fun I've had in a game since Super Mario Galaxy!

PM me if you wanna play!-

Last night I might have had a total of 15-20 online races...but today my license profile says my record is something like 77-19...I guess somehow they got my license mixed with someone else, other than that this game is awesome.

[quote name='help1']I gotta grab this during the summer. No sense in getting it now though, with GTA IV coming out.[/QUOTE]

Variety is the spice of life? :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']Variety is the spice of life? :D[/quote]

And money is the burden of life. :cry:

It doesn't matter much anyway, as I only play Mario Kart with my brothers and I won't be available to play this with them until summer time anyway.

Just played a couple races online, nice and smooth. I really love the ghost ranking between friends / regional / worldwide. It adds a sense of rivalry without direct racing, and gives incentive to work on those time trial runs.

Rosalina on a bike is bitchin!
I just got my first 2 stars ^_^

But seriously, why does she drive the LARGE karts and bikes?!

[quote name='lilboo']Rosalina on a bike is bitchin!

But seriously, why does she drive the LARGE karts and bikes?![/quote]

Damn right she is. After a decade of Luigi, I've actually given him up to use her on this one.

And my assumption is that they wanted a 'heavy' female character, since there wasn't one. Does it make sense? No, but that's what we got.

That's what I thought.. but c'mon. Give us like.. Wendy Koopa or something. I could believe her being in a heavy class because she got a fat ass and a big shell :lol:

Rosalina is actually pretty petite too! :lol:
She looks like an asshole on Wario's Bike.

[quote name='bfauble83']Last night I might have had a total of 15-20 online races...but today my license profile says my record is something like 77-19...I guess somehow they got my license mixed with someone else, other than that this game is awesome.[/quote]

It's not how many races, but how many people you beat.

[quote name='lilboo']Rosalina on a bike is bitchin!

But seriously, why does she drive the LARGE karts and bikes?![/QUOTE]

So you have to have a Super Mario Galaxy save file to unlock her? Looks like I won't be getting her anytime soon, then - I haven't had a chance to buy the game yet. :cry:

I'm going to be online for a while tonight, I think. I need some points. :)

ADD ME!

0344-9719-7413.

My Wii console code is over to the left, if you want that too.

PM me with your information when you add me!

EDIT: Didn't see the FC thread. Posted over there too.

All right, you bastards got me worked up enough about this that I went and bought it today (using store credit, mind you - I still refuse to pay anything close to full price for anything). I've got a lot of work to do around the house, but tonight I'll post my code and maybe catch some of you for a race or two. Do you get to see my obscene Mii faces and names, or is it all safely anonymous?

Baby Daisy! Woot!! So cute! :pinches ass:

What's everyone's character unlockables thus far? (Just characters, don't care about what karts/bikes you unlocked, LOL)
For me I'm up to 5.
King Boo, Diddy King, Rosalina, Birdo, and Baby Daisy.
I'm working on Toadette now.

[quote name='PhoenixT']if your talking about jumps then on the wheel at least you shake the wheel and it does a "trick" which gives you a boost when you land. On the GC controller I"m not sure but I "think" you press up on the dpad when you jump and it will do a trick. You just have to time it right is all.[/quote]

In fact, on the GC/CC controller, you can press the D-pad in any of the 4 directions to perform a trick, and thus, get a boost on the landing. I'm not sure if each direction causes a different trick, but yeah, on my Thrustmaster, I like to press a different direction each time...just to be different. ;)

[quote name='lilboo']IMMA START A ROOM UP.

If you want in, please let's exchange FC's in the next few minutes.[/QUOTE]

I'm totally going to avoid innuendo about being in a room with liboo.

I'll join you as soon as I finish this next race.

Has anyone compiled a list of unlockables (characters tracks, and other bonuses) and how to unlock?

Maybe other secrets of the game as well?

Also, can anyone list all of the classic tracks?

Thanks!

[quote name='flybrione']I'll play if you start a room![/QUOTE]

Are you guys still there? I looked about 1/2 hour ago and Lilboo didn't have anything going. When my wife gets home (so I don't have to watch the 5 month old) I can kick off the kids (who are playing MK right now) and play a bit online - I have yet to do so!

I'll add you flybrione as soon as I get on.

I'm bout to go to bed :(
Maybe tomorrow we can set some room up. Only me & bluelobstah were playing.

I am good anytime after 7pm (EST) tomorrow night ^_^

No prob! If anything, there's always the weekend!
So someone recommend 4 easy tracks to break the staff record.. :lol: and who to use. I want Funky!

[quote name='io']Are you guys still there? I looked about 1/2 hour ago and Lilboo didn't have anything going. When my wife gets home (so I don't have to watch the 5 month old) I can kick off the kids (who are playing MK right now) and play a bit online - I have yet to do so!

I'll add you flybrione as soon as I get on.[/QUOTE]

I was playing for a while but I'm getting ready for bed. I won't be on tomorrow but I will be on most of the week in between GTA4. I am going to check out a demo on 360 and then I'm sleeping.

I need some brawl friends too! Code in the sig send me some requests and a PM with your code!

[quote name='flybrione']I was playing for a while but I'm getting ready for bed. I won't be on tomorrow but I will be on most of the week in between GTA4. I am going to check out a demo on 360 and then I'm sleeping.

I need some brawl friends too! Code in the sig send me some requests and a PM with your code![/QUOTE]

I tried to join in a game with you but it couldn't connect. Then I got in a race or two with a "jeffrie" from CAG - not sure who that is, exactly. I didn't do too bad for my first attempts online - at least I'm above 5000 ;).

Okay, I finally jumped online with a friend that lives about 50 miles away...

...and it was horrific. Two disconnects, constant invisible races, items that were not hitting the other person. Just atrocious. One race was finished by him lapping me, even though he never appeared on my map whatsoever. (And of course, my items weren't working.)

Is it like this for everyone else? I think of the games we played, only two seemed to be lag-free and working correctly.

[quote name='Rig']Okay, I finally jumped online with a friend that lives about 50 miles away...

...and it was horrific. Two disconnects, constant invisible races, items that were not hitting the other person. Just atrocious. One race was finished by him lapping me, even though he never appeared on my map whatsoever. (And of course, my items weren't working.)

Is it like this for everyone else? I think of the games we played, only two seemed to be lag-free and working correctly.[/QUOTE]

Not at all! I played my friend in LA along with 10 other randoms, and it was absolutely perfect. We constantly said how surprised we were over our iChat convo.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Has anyone compiled a list of unlockables (characters tracks, and other bonuses) and how to unlock?

Maybe other secrets of the game as well?

Also, can anyone list all of the classic tracks?

Thanks![/quote]
The walkthough on Gamefaqs has a pretty good list of how to unlock everything.

I'll add this to the code thread as well, but I finally am getting to play for the first time:

4897-6380-1885

As long as I don't spill another drink before I even get to sit down like I just did, I'm hoping to get an hour or so in now.

bread's done
Back