Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games! IN STORES! Party Game of The Season?! IGN: 7.9!

Everybody knows the party game of the season will feature:

rabbidzq6.jpg

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow I just played an hour of this game... what a work out.[/quote]

Yeah definitely. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I had a World Record in the Javelin Toss, but have since fallen to 22nd last I saw. The running and swimming events are extremely tiring if you repeat them a few times.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Wait?
When did this happen?[/QUOTE]

I was kidding.......... but expect Nintendo or some other company to release Maraca attachments with rattlers to support this game.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah definitely. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I had a World Record in the Javelin Toss, but have since fallen to 22nd last I saw. The running and swimming events are extremely tiring if you repeat them a few times.[/QUOTE]

you know I think i better start doing stretches before I play this game. I look like a complete fool banging my controllers to pick up speed :(

My right elbow hurts like a bitch now.

[quote name='ITDEFX']you know I think i better start doing stretches before I play this game. I look like a complete fool banging my controllers to pick up speed :(

My right elbow hurts like a bitch now.[/quote]
Haha, I know how you feel. One of the folk in the gaming rotation is a HS senior, and completely kicks the crap out of everyone else that plays those running/swimming type games. Usually a different story with the more precision type mini games, but playing the running/swimming games makes me feel old, and I'm not even that old. :cold:

I think what's happening is that I am putting too much force/speed into it when I should be just taking it easy. skeet shooting is extremely hard if you don't have steady hands. Guess I am going to need the zapper for that.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']Does this game require each player to have a nunchuk?[/QUOTE]

yes and no....however some games tell you in game that you can play just with the Wii-mote.

I found the attachment cable from the wiimote to the nunchuck to be annoying sometimes as when you are moving both of them up and down fast that cable can fly around :(

[quote name='crystalklear64']Is there some ingame explanation as to why Sonic doesn't trounce everyone in the speed events?[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be a fair and balanced game.. It would be what if Batman and superman where in the game...of course Superman would win the speed events but batman would kick his ass in a fight as long as superman was depowered.

[quote name='ITDEFX']It wouldn't be a fair and balanced game.. It would be what if Batman and superman where in the game...of course Superman would win the speed events but batman would kick his ass in a fight as long as superman was depowered.[/QUOTE]
Meh. Just wondering if they made Sonic handicapped via some explanation rather than he is somehow now slower than a plumber. Could have been interesting.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I found the attachment cable from the wiimote to the nunchuck to be annoying sometimes as when you are moving both of them up and down fast that cable can fly around :([/quote]

I have the same problem lol. On a side note, are we the only people on the forum that have this game? :cry:

I was going to get this after some more hands-on reviews. How is the multiplayer on this? Would you consider it a "party" game? How is the single player?

I just got GameStop's weekend e-mail saying "Available Now!" I had no idea this was out already, and clearly that can't fare well with any of the "best selling" claims. Oh, and GameSpot's 6/10 review probably doesn't help anything.

As I suspected, this is a forgettable title.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I have the same problem lol. On a side note, are we the only people on the forum that have this game? :cry:[/QUOTE]

Give it time...

[quote name='defiance_17']I just got GameStop's weekend e-mail saying "Available Now!" I had no idea this was out already, and clearly that can't fare well with any of the "best selling" claims. Oh, and GameSpot's 6/10 review probably doesn't help anything.

As I suspected, this is a forgettable title.[/quote]
Did you read Gamespot's review or just see the score? The review is laughable at best. At least IGN had the text part pretty much how I feel about the game (besides some points here and there), though the reviewer seemed to take points off for the simple fact that it was a party game.

[quote name='KhaosX']I was going to get this after some more hands-on reviews. How is the multiplayer on this? Would you consider it a "party" game? How is the single player?[/quote]
If you liked Wii Sports and/or your multiplayer groups liked Wii Sports, you should enjoy Mario & Sonic. There are more things to do, and the fact that the single player has things to do besides just beat your old high scores is great.

You get 6 missions to perform for each of the 16 characters (some missions do overlap so you aren't getting 96 different missions). These missions will have you attempting different tasks. Missons include things like winning 7 points in table tennis using a power shot, getting a certain distance in one of the throwing/running events, or jump/throw from as close to the foul line as possible. While most of the missions aren't too difficult that I've seen, I have maybe half of the missions to unlock still.

In addition to missions, you have 15 different circuits to compete in (5 circuits in each of the 3 difficulty levels). These circuits are handled just like Mario Kart, where you gain points at the end of each event in the circuit, and your total score at the end of the circuit determines your overall placement. Another great thing about circuit mode is the ability to set up a circuit with any 5 events that you want. As an added twist to circuit mode is a challenge you can use once at the start of an event where if you place in the top 3, your point total for that event will be doubled, but place 4th or lower and you get 0 points. So saving the challenge for an event you are good at means you can quickly catch up if you are behind should you place in the top 3.

That being said, not sure how often I'll be checking this thread since it seems most people won't be bothering with this game, making it kind of pointless for me to keep going on and on about it when nobody is listening. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the game though, and I guess that's all that matters in the end. ;)

ignoring what this game costs... is it a good and fun game?

i saw a lot of waggling going on in the trailers, so how much of a work out do you really get playing ths game? abd how responsive are the controls on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 as the worst and 10 being the best)?

oh...also... how many of the events don't require the nunchuck?

[quote name='defiance_17']I just got GameStop's weekend e-mail saying "Available Now!" I had no idea this was out already, and clearly that can't fare well with any of the "best selling" claims. Oh, and GameSpot's 6/10 review probably doesn't help anything.

As I suspected, this is a forgettable title.[/quote]

And you need Gamespot to tell you what's good? Whatever floats your boat.

[quote name='The Crotch']Question: How's the archery? That's the only thing about the game that intrigues me, as it's exactly what I envisioned Twilight Princess doing.[/QUOTE]

you have to unlock it :(

Skeet shooting is a bitch if you don't have steady hands.

Unlocking archery is easy, but I have trouble playing the archery since my hands shake a bit much when I'm holding an obect midair with one hand. Though I do great in skeet shooting because I can sit and use both my hands aiming the Wiimote while I rest them on my legs to keep it even more steady if my hands are shaking more than the norm.

Picked it up when I picked up Super Mario Galaxy. Was really iffy getting the game right away with all the releasing coming out, but I'm a bit surprised that the game is more fun than I thought. Though it's going to sit on a backburner except for when friends are over since Super Mario Galaxy is pretty damn awesome.

I like it...a lot. Though, I have been annoyed by being smacked with the cord between the Wii-mote and the nunchuck from time to time, but that's mostly cause I get a little too into the event and look down while I'm running...

I'd agree that if you like Wii Sports, this is a nice extension on that. You can play as your Mii's...which is really funny to watch a Fencing match between Robotnik and a Mii. Also, your Mii has full limbs in this game.

There are two modes of play commonly with each event, a Wii-mote + nunchuck mode or a just Wii-mote mode. With the nunchuck, the controls are more precise.

The first time my girlfriend played Mii Sports with me, and saw the Mii's with only one limb she was laughing hysterically for a long time.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']I picked this up a couple days ago and I love it even if I can barely lift my arms anymore.[/QUOTE]

I told my gf that we should do stretches BEFORE playing this game.

Metacritic ranks this at 67, but the CAG playing this seem to say otherwise. I'm thinking I was going to get this at the buy two get 1 free sale at TRU next week.

I love Wii Sports, so I assume I'll love this too.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I told my gf that we should do stretches BEFORE playing this game.[/quote]

You know, I do stretched before any of the more intense Wii games, DDR, etc and I still pulled a muscle in my right arm playing this Tuesday while I was taking turns with friends.

Was doing the Master Circuits and was taking turns with one of two friends who were over so we didn't strain ourself. I was testing various ways to play and after they left, my arm just felt dead for the rest of the night with no real pain. Next day I wake up I can't lift my right arm at all without a lot of pain and still had a decent amount left yesterday. Today it's barely there and should be back to normal tomorrow.

So to reiterate, make sure to take breaks and stretch. Especially at higher difficulties. Though it won't make you immune to injury, but it should at least help. This is my first injury playing a video game ever. Didn't really stop me from playing Super Mario Galaxy though.

It's a good game, but it's hard to recommend it to someone at full price. Though it has Mario in it, so it may not go down in price ever outside of sales.

[quote name='Draekon']You know, I do stretched before any of the more intense Wii games, DDR, etc and I still pulled a muscle in my right arm playing this Tuesday while I was taking turns with friends.

Was doing the Master Circuits and was taking turns with one of two friends who were over so we didn't strain ourself. I was testing various ways to play and after they left, my arm just felt dead for the rest of the night with no real pain. Next day I wake up I can't lift my right arm at all without a lot of pain and still had a decent amount left yesterday. Today it's barely there and should be back to normal tomorrow.

So to reiterate, make sure to take breaks and stretch. Especially at higher difficulties. Though it won't make you immune to injury, but it should at least help. This is my first injury playing a video game ever. Didn't really stop me from playing Super Mario Galaxy though.

It's a good game, but it's hard to recommend it to someone at full price. Though it has Mario in it, so it may not go down in price ever outside of sales.[/QUOTE]

So she finally gets a chance to come over tonight and play Mario and Sonic. She loves the trampoline event. It's quite funny taking turns and watching after like 7 tries she screws up and makes these funny gesters. She is so into it that she wants to continue DESPITE the fact that the game says take a break. She's more fit than I am so it doesn't hurt her like it does to me. When we finally took a break, my right arm was so useless so I ate dinner with my left hand. I am so tired right now, so yes I agree do stretches BEFORE you play this game....you will regret it later if you don't.

[quote name='WiiGame']so this game is actually a workout???

i picked it up in TRU's buy 2 get 1 free sale[/quote]

400 Meter swimming/running/hurdles/relay can be rather tiring. Early on it's not so bad.

[quote name='WiiGame']so this game is actually a workout???

i picked it up in TRU's buy 2 get 1 free sale[/QUOTE]

yes for your arms. I think there is more stress toward your right arm (or whichever hand your holding the wii-mote). Don't expect to loose a lot of weight from this game, because it in no way works out your lower body.

Good luck with the Toys R Us deal, I just tried ordering it with the B2G1 deal and it's OOS.

I think it's getting beat up a bit because it's a party game, so I'm glad to hear CAGS are enjoying it.

Sold out when i was there, go figure. Clerk said they are restocking tomorrow or tuesday, so ill stop by again on tuesday.

Edit:
PMed best buy and picked it up there instead... Ill post my impressions after a few.

Slightly off topic question. You guys are playing this with your girlfriends/wives...what other Wii games have her interest? I was thinking about WarioWare, but I wasn't sure how long the novelty would last.

[quote name='ZForce915']Slightly off topic question. You guys are playing this with your girlfriends/wives...what other Wii games have her interest? I was thinking about WarioWare, but I wasn't sure how long the novelty would last.[/QUOTE]

Just rent Warioware. It is great fun and my wife dug it, but it was like 4 hours of playtime

Just got the game, it's pretty fun, but I have a question:

How the hell do you unlock circuits/events? My brother and I just got 1st and 2nd place on the first circuit under beginner, and nothing changed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Ah. You have to beat the events single-player in order to unlock circuits/events. Being able to unlock circuits/events multiplayer would have been better, especially in this type of game.

Finally picked this up and played for an hour yesterday - awesome game. I encourage anyone on the fence to give it a rental. Don't realize why it got docked so badly in the reviews - it's a lot of fun (although I may be biased as I'm a big fan/participant in t&f). Between this, Rock Band and Wii Sports I've finally found a group of video games that all my friends can come together and enjoy.

[quote name='rgd2blck']Just got the game, it's pretty fun, but I have a question:

How the hell do you unlock circuits/events? My brother and I just got 1st and 2nd place on the first circuit under beginner, and nothing changed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Ah. You have to beat the events single-player in order to unlock circuits/events. Being able to unlock circuits/events multiplayer would have been better, especially in this type of game.[/QUOTE]

Play Trampoline and the track race several times and that will unlock a few other events.

[quote name='ZForce915']Slightly off topic question. You guys are playing this with your girlfriends/wives...what other Wii games have her interest? I was thinking about WarioWare, but I wasn't sure how long the novelty would last.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend thinks this game is fun. She gets a big kick out of the Mii's gesters :p

This game brought my entire family + extended family together for Thanksgiving. It even went to a point where my dad was sitting back and giving pointers on how to run correctly. Definitely a keeper for me.

My wife and I rented this over the long weekend and really enjoyed it. Not sure if it is worth $50, but we definitely got 10+ hours of play time out of the game this weekend. It definitely can be tiring and gives your arms a good workout - my arms are sore today :)

I think I'll play until the rental + no late fee thing is done and then possibly pick it up cheap/used for when people come over. Seems like a good party game.

For the guys that have it, I got annoyed that the high jump and pole vault max out way too easily. I really liked the way they worked, but once you get the motion down, it is way too easy and you can quickly get to the max heights. Would have loved to go for huge heights.

Favorite events:
archery, trampoline, high jump, pole vault, long jump, triple jump and rowing (the events that are more about timing and precision, less about pumping arms quickly)

Least favorites:
Dream race - seems way too random
Table tennis - maybe cause my backhand sucks

Overall - a solid 8 in my book

Man, I cannot break the 10 second mark for the 100m dash. But overall I think this game is good, I'd call it a $40 value.

[quote name='KhaosX']This game brought my entire family + extended family together for Thanksgiving. It even went to a point where my dad was sitting back and giving pointers on how to run correctly. Definitely a keeper for me.[/quote]

Classic.

Scanned over the thread, didn't see an answer... can you only set world records in the individual events mode? And is there a way to download the real WiFi world records to my game so that I know what I'm going up against as I play?

bread's done
Back