Martial Arts Films Suggestions (new and old films welcome)

[quote name='shieryda']Man, I always laugh at some the of the titles of these films. I just looked at Yuen's flimography on imdb, and he was in one called "Burger Cop".:lol:
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I gotta see that one :lol:

Watching "High Kick Girl" now. I'm not sure why, though. It's really slow and not very interesting so far. I'll try and finish it, though.

I do NOT recommend "High Kick Girl", especially if you don't want to see every fucking fight scene replayed in slow-motion. So annoying.

[quote name='shieryda']I do NOT recommend "High Kick Girl", especially if you don't want to see every fucking fight scene replayed in slow-motion. So annoying.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. I'd heard it was at least semi-watchable.

the original street fighter movie with van dam! haha, then load up the incredibly awesome street fighter movie game that actually has jcvd in it also

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']That's too bad. I'd heard it was at least semi-watchable.[/QUOTE]

i just finished it and its bad. theres a decent bit at the end but damn. all the fucking replays its so damn annoying its like watching a movie directed by someone with alzheimers. every time they do something they have to do it again because obvioulsy they cant remember what they just did. shame too becaause it could have been better.

the main chick talks way too much i still hate movies where a gang of guys fight one guy one on one instead of freakin swarming. some decent lookin chicks in it though and an asian guy with a mullet. on top of all that must of their damn moves are so telegraphed its hard to get lost in the moive and just enoy it.

if you cut out the replays i but the movie would be like 30 or 45 minutes long lol.

[quote name='lokizz']

if you cut out the replays i but the movie would be like 30 or 45 minutes long lol.[/QUOTE]

I concur. Not only do they replay every fight, but they often did it from 2 or 3 different camera angles.

finally finished musa. its an ok movie its more of a period piece than a martial arts film but it does have some cool combat moments. if youre looking for a more mature movie its a good go i liked the ending too. i think ill check out spin kick next.

Art of Fighting is another korean movie. This is mostly story but has some fight scenes. General story is the main character gets bullied and needs to find a master to teach him to fight. The movie isn't too heavy on the fighting but I found it very enjoyable.

Since this thread is about martial arts films, I was wondering if anyone watches the old school stuff. My favorite is The Invincible Pole Fighters or 8 Diagram Pole Fighters. This movie had a couple names and stars Gordon Liu (Master Killer). I just saw another pole fighting movie but I forget the name. It showed every type of pole (staff) weapon and the variations. 3 piece staff, spears, the flying guillotine (sick!), etc.

If you want a great old-school film, try "Master of the Flying Guillotine". And you can't go wrong with "36th Chamber of Shaolin".

[quote name='mr_burnzz']

Since this thread is about martial arts films, I was wondering if anyone watches the old school stuff. My favorite is The Invincible Pole Fighters or 8 Diagram Pole Fighters. This movie had a couple names and stars Gordon Liu (Master Killer). I just saw another pole fighting movie but I forget the name. It showed every type of pole (staff) weapon and the variations. 3 piece staff, spears, the flying guillotine (sick!), etc.[/QUOTE]

FYI: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is coming July 13 from Dragon Dynasty. Should be a nice remaster, going by the quality of the Shaw Bros. releases they've done so far.

yeah i love the old stuff especially that tiger crane series( sorry cant recall the name) but its a shaw bros series i believe. zatoichi is awesome stuff to they used to show them weekends on ifc. jackie chans earlier stuff was pretty good too.

8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a really good martial arts film. I've found these Shaw Brothers films to be quite good as well:

Heroes of the East
Opium and the Kung Fu Master
Five Masters of Shaolin
The Delightful Forest
Martial Club
Legendary Weapons of China

[quote name='gr8asianman']There were a ton of fantastic movies that were mentioned, but is there no love for Jackie Chan's New Police Story?[/QUOTE]

my issue wiith jackie chan is after a while all his ma films kind of feel the same only a diff character , setting and plot. and thats mainly due to the action and fighting he does. you know what hes going to do after a while so its hard to enjoy imo.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']FYI: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is coming July 13 from Dragon Dynasty. Should be a nice remaster, going by the quality of the Shaw Bros. releases they've done so far.[/QUOTE]

hey, thats some exciting news for me. I could watch this movie about a dozen more times in my life. Thanks

Will check out the other films mentioned, too.

finished spin kick and its a really good movie. i dont know if its a ma flick as much as a movie set around taekwando but whatever it is its worth watching. good action scenes and alot of funny humor kind of reminds me of the bamboo blade anime except its guys and not chicks.

[quote name='Squall835']8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a really good martial arts film. I've found these Shaw Brothers films to be quite good as well:

Heroes of the East
Opium and the Kung Fu Master
Five Masters of Shaolin
The Delightful Forest
Martial Club
Legendary Weapons of China[/QUOTE]

Heroes of the East is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of my go-to MA movie-mood flicks.

[quote name='lokizz']finished spin kick and its a really good movie. i dont know if its a ma flick as much as a movie set around taekwando but whatever it is its worth watching. good action scenes and alot of funny humor kind of reminds me of the bamboo blade anime except its guys and not chicks.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't think Koreans really do straight martial arts stuff. Always more into story and character development which isn't a bad thing at all. And your analogy with anime does make alot of sense. Many times I told myself while watching some korean flick that it would make a cool anime (Spin Kick, Fighter in the Wind, Art of Fighting, etc.).

This has been quiet for a while. This past week I watched all three of the Undisputed movies. While the first is more of a boxing movie, the second and third throw in more martial arts/mma stuff. Scott Adkins and Michael Jai White, both multiple black belt holders, star in the second one, and do a nice job. The third features Adkins and contains 8 different fighters with different styles. It's a series that gets better with each movie, which is rare. Another bonus: Long takes. Since the stars actually know their stuff, the camera doesn't have to cut every two moves. There are some really nice sequences with 10+ moves in one take. It's a rare sight in this day and age. I wholeheartedly recommend at least the second and third movies in the series, and the first is worth a watch too.

Adkins, by the way, is one of my new favorites. The guy is very impressive. If anyone hasn't seen Ninja yet, it's worth checking out. It's not particularly impressive in any one area, but it brings back the spirit of the 80s ninja movie with a guy with true skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
havent watched any ma films since spin kick. i "located" one of the films someone mentioned but i couldnt find the right subs for it. i liked the first undisputed alot it was a cool boxing flick.

[quote name='shieryda']Started to watch "Flash Point" last night on The Movie Channel. Couldn't get into it. Plus, it was dubbed.[/QUOTE]

Dubbed? Ewww. It's worth watching though. The Donnie Yen/Colin Chou showdown is pretty badass.

Yeah? I might still get it from Netflix. I have no idea what time it started, and I was just channel surfiing when I stumbled upon it. Too much about feeding an old lady at a restaurant, and then kidnapping her and having a car chase scene. I had no idea what was going on.

[quote name='shieryda']Yeah? I might still get it from Netflix. I have no idea what time it started, and I was just channel surfiing when I stumbled upon it. Too much about feeding an old lady at a restaurant, and then kidnapping her and having a car chase scene. I had no idea what was going on.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you stumbled into the most pointless scene in the movie :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Dubbed? Ewww. It's worth watching though. The Donnie Yen/Colin Chou showdown is pretty badass.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that fight scene is fantastic.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Protector yet. I'm a big fan of Tony Jaa and that probably has some of his best fighting (story's dumb though)

I'll second the recommendation for Fearless, that movie is just so awesome. I'd also recommend District B13. It is more of a parkour movie with fighting involved, but it has some great choreography and is fun to watch.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Kung Fu Cinema just gave this movie a subpar review, but the trailer doesn't look too terrible. Might check it out sometime for the hell of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizBKYrA0iQ[/QUOTE]

just by that video i can see why itd get a low review. it feel like its a bunch of kids doing their own ong bak impersonations. if i can see it online ill watch it but i wouldnt want to spend time dling it.

[quote name='cmahoney']Surprised no one has mentioned The Protector yet. I'm a big fan of Tony Jaa and that probably has some of his best fighting (story's dumb though)

I'll second the recommendation for Fearless, that movie is just so awesome. I'd also recommend District B13. It is more of a parkour movie with fighting involved, but it has some great choreography and is fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

ive seen it i always just lumped it into the ong bak series but i guess im wrong.

[quote name='lokizz']well that sucks guess its time for that chocolate chick to step up to the plate all she needs is a voice coach and shes set.[/QUOTE]

Voice coach? Just give her a bit of testosterone to lower that voice :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Voice coach? Just give her a bit of testosterone to lower that voice :lol:[/QUOTE]

whatever they do i hope it works because her voice in that other flick was too much to take. maybe bulk her up a bit too.

Watched Legend of the Black Scorpion (aka The Banquet) tonight. It's pretty much Crouching Tiger, Hidden Hamlet. The wirework is very heavy, but in this case I think it really works. There's a very dance-like feel to everything, which stands as a marked contrast to the bloody violence that is occurring. Blood spurts all over, but the movements are more akin to a slowed down ballet. It really is a beautiful film, and it's a pretty interesting take on Hamlet to boot.

[quote name='shieryda']Anyone seen anything good lately? I saw a trailer for "Shanghai Express", so I'll have to look for that one.[/QUOTE]

I was pretty bored by Shanghai Express. There's no action for what seems like the first hour. Maybe you'll like it more than I did, but don't go in with your expectations too high.

I haven't watched much lately, but Dragon Dynasty did release Return of the One-Armed Swordsman a week or two ago. I need to go pick that up sometime soon.

i saw this one flick about an abused woman who challenges her husband to a match. it was way more comedy than it was ma.i was going to reccomend it until the ending. im still looking around for some good stuff though.

[quote name='quickly_one']High Kick Girl is a must watch for material arts movies, as well as Jet li Fearless[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shieryda']No. It isn't. See post #54.[/QUOTE]

Uh-oh, it seems like High Kick Girl is becoming the benchmark for us. If you like it, you just aren't fit to talk to us :lol:

that was the one with shot like a mountain dew commercial with all those annoying replays? i see that damn thing in my nightmares but the chick was cute id let her high kick me anytime.

Okay okay i will admit High hick Girl isn't the best movie out there but i has a really hot chick in it, and most of the hitting was real. Also you have to admit the scene where a guy is holding a girl as a type of shield and then get kicked in the face along with the girl was funny as hell (happens in the fist 5 minutes)

I don't watch many martial arts films these days, but I have watched some recently.

Ong-Bak - I really liked it. The fight scenes were smooth and brutal for a pretty low quality film

Ong-Bak 2 - I don't really know why this is a sequel and not just something new. It has nothing to do with the first (outside of Ton Jaa being in it). The fighting scenes were well done, but there was too much outside stuff that brought it down.

Ninja Assassin - It's over the top and a bit cheesy, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It didn't hurt to have JMS writing it.

[quote name='quickly_one']High Kick Girl is a must watch for material arts movies, as well as Jet li Fearless[/QUOTE]

It's only a must watch in the sense its so bad its funny. I definitely laughed a few times.

Other than that it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

saw an old kung fu movie today and got to see where tarantino got some of this ideas from. man he doesnt just "borrow" ideas he pretty much takes them and adds them in almost as is lol. but that said i believe the last dragon may have gotten the idea for the glow from that flick too. i dont know the title of it but the guy was learing the iron fist technique.

bread's done
Back