Martial Arts Films Suggestions (new and old films welcome)

[quote name='lokizz']saw an old kung fu movie today and got to see where tarantino got some of this ideas from. man he doesnt just "borrow" ideas he pretty much takes them and adds them in almost as is lol. but that said i believe the last dragon may have gotten the idea for the glow from that flick too. i dont know the title of it but the guy was learing the iron fist technique.[/QUOTE]

Recognize any of the actors?

Side note: lokizz, seeing how this thread has kind of shifted a bit, perhaps you should retitle it as a general MA flick discussion thread. I'm interested in continuing talking about what we're watching, new or old.

On the subject of older stuff, Amazon has Return of the Five Deadly Venoms slated for release from Dragon Dynasty on September 14.

high kick girl wasn't a great movie but I liked it. I wouldn't watch it again but it had some memorable moments. Like this one part where this cute chick does a insane flip and nails someone in the head with an axe kick.

Shaolin Invincible sticks (old school) is great. Shows most or all of the variations of the pole.

I saw Red cliff one and two. I suppose it was good but I am not into that whole historic story telling. My lady loved it though. She loves chinese movies.

Bruce Lee definitely. Any Gordon Lui. Michael Jai White, specifically Blood and Bone. Story was horrible, but nice martial arts. Even Black Dynamite, which was also hilarious.

[quote name='shieryda']My buddy finally watched "Blac Dynamite" last night. That film is just way to awesome for words.[/QUOTE]

is it really worth seeing? ive seen it around but i wasnt sure if it was a cheesy spoof or if it was a serious film with great action in it.

[quote name='whoknows']Ive never seen the original. Worth watching?[/QUOTE]
It is if you like old school kung fu movies cause its a classic.

[quote name='lokizz']is it really worth seeing? ive seen it around but i wasnt sure if it was a cheesy spoof or if it was a serious film with great action in it.[/QUOTE]

Black Dynamite
is a fantastic movie. It is a play on blaxploitation films, but it's not in the vein of the Epic Movie, etc. variety. It's very well done and legitimately funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpT8ic_wxm0

"Volcano High" and "Once Upon A Time In China 2". "Once Upon A Time In China 2" just basically blows it's load for the entire series in that weapons fight.
As for Dragon Dynasty why not just import it as I hear they straight up butcher the translations.

Also while it's not a film in the traditional sense but a documentary I HIGHLY recommend "Budo". It's fucking fantastic.

[quote name='Sarang01']"Volcano High" and "Once Upon A Time In China 2". "Once Upon A Time In China 2" just basically blows it's load for the entire series in that weapons fight.
As for Dragon Dynasty why not just import it as I hear they straight up butcher the translations.

Also while it's not a film in the traditional sense but a documentary I HIGHLY recommend "Budo". It's fucking fantastic.[/QUOTE]

While Dragon Dynasty is not perfect (they've made some decisions that have made purists a bit peeved), they do an excellent job on most of the A/V presentations. Their Shaw Brothers discs look almost as good as new. And though they have on occasion used older dubtitle tracks, again, most of them are fine. I own almost all of them because I initially wanted to support more US distribution of Asian action films, and overall they've done a solid though admittedly not perfect job.

In other news, Ip Man's US DVD release has finally arrived (Blu review here and a comparison with the Universe HK here). Think I might pick it up today along with Return of the One-Armed Swordsman.

Must see old movies - The Prodigal Son and check out City of Violence, mentioned before casually, but really these are must watch ones to really freakin see! :D

ip man 2, 14 blades, true legend, bodyguards and assassins

watch

watch

Some of my personal favorites are.....

Five deadly venoms.

Story of ricki.

Master of the flying guillotine. (my personall all time favorite)

Street fighter.

Enter the dragon.

36th chamber of shaolin.

Magnificent butcher.

Dragons forever (jackie chan fights benny the jet, what more do you want)

Legendary weapons of kung fu.

Big trouble in little china (I know it doesnt technically count)

For those curious, the Well Go USA DVD of Ip Man is solid, if a bit flawed. There's one rather annoying miss in the subtitles, and a couple minor image flickers, but overall it's fine.

Watched my Return of the One-Armed Swordsman disc over the weekend. Pretty good clean-up on the picture, though not the best remaster I've seen from DD on the Shaw Bros. Such a cool movie though. Seems like the entire population of China dies over the course of the movie due. Good times.

The Legend of Drunken Master
IP Man
IP Man 2
Hero Iron Monkey
The Protector
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer
Bodyguards and Assassins
Flash Point
Once Upon a Time in China 2
Police Story 2
Fist of Legend

Kinda bummed at Redbox. Went to get Ip Man from my grocery store because it's listed on the side of the box, but couldn't find the dvd when browsing through with the touch screen. Are the films not even listed if they've been checked out? Guess I'll have to go across the street to Walgreen's.

Edi: Oh shit! Both machines say the movie is available today! Researching free rental codes now...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Side note: Jackie Wu has been tabbed as the next big thing, but he hasn't really carried a movie yet. Fight-wise he's capable, but doesn't have the screen presence. However, the movies I've seen him in I've liked enough of what he's done (Fatal Contact, Drunken Monkey, Killzone, Invisible Target).[/QUOTE]

Go watch Taichi 2 (Taichi Master). You can even mute it, but it has a few very good fights with Wu Jing. My favorite being against the main chick's fiancee.

just skimmed through the tekken live action movie and wow biggest turd ever. not even the fights are really worth seeing and the story is horrible. some hot ass tang in that flick though kinda bummbed christie monteiro wasnt latina or brazillian.

[quote name='shieryda']The Street Fighter movie is playing on HBO this month...[/QUOTE]

lol man that one was horrible too damn shame it was raul julias last film before he died. at least chunli looked good in it.

Watched My Lucky Stars the other night. I had it sitting around but never got around to watching it. The beginning and end are pretty solid, but it falls prey to my biggest complaint about the Brothers movies: It stalls out in the middle. I've never been a fan of the comedy aspect of the Brothers movies, but when the middle half hour or so of the movie has nothing but that, my patience grows a bit thin. It's got a wonderful cast, but the pacing needed to be adjusted. Still, it could be worse. Heart of the Dragon had nothing happen for 90% of the movie as they tried to be dramatic, and it is only saved by a nice fight between Jackie and Dick Wei.

Boy, this thread has been quiet.

Watched the shortened version of Red Cliff last night. The CG was very obvious in the landscape shots, but overall, John Woo still knows how to make people dead in cool ways. The cut version is entertaining as is, but I definitely want to watch the full version to get better characterization.

[quote name='GhostShark']I do believe Red Cliff is on Netflix Instant Queue.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I watched it. The full version is only available on disc.

havent seen any ma films in a while but to be honest i havent looked either lol. still hoping to find some good new ones though do any of you know of a website that lists them ?

[quote name='lokizz']havent seen any ma films in a while but to be honest i havent looked either lol. still hoping to find some good new ones though do any of you know of a website that lists them ?[/QUOTE]

I listed a couple sites earlier in the thread:

www.monkeypeaches.com

www.kungfucinema.com

Perhaps we could put them into the OP for everyone to see and reference?

Return of the Five Deadly Venoms aka Criplled Vengers is out now from Dragon Dynasty. I picked it up, but I haven't had chance to watch it yet. Considering how cleaned-up the other Shaw remasters have looked, I'm looking forward to it.

Also: Best Buy has Isaac Florentine's Ninja (starring current MA mancrush Scott Adkins) for $4. Assuming this ends today, but it's been on sale at this price a couple times recently, which is cool. It's not going to win any awards, but if you like 80s ninja movies like Revenge of the Ninja and Enter the Ninja, it's worth a pick-up at this price. Some terrible CGI, but still a fun low budget Ninja-er (I'm making this a word as of now).

i love revenge of the ninja thats the flick that got me into ninjas. enter the nina i saw years later and didnt like as much and nina 3 the domination is a decent romp if you dig a hot posessed chick killing cops.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Return of the Five Deadly Venoms aka Criplled Vengers is out now from Dragon Dynasty. I picked it up, but I haven't had chance to watch it yet. Considering how cleaned-up the other Shaw remasters have looked, I'm looking forward to it.

Also: Best Buy has Isaac Florentine's Ninja (starring current MA mancrush Scott Adkins) for $4. Assuming this ends today, but it's been on sale at this price a couple times recently, which is cool. It's not going to win any awards, but if you like 80s ninja movies like Revenge of the Ninja and Enter the Ninja, it's worth a pick-up at this price. Some terrible CGI, but still a fun low budget Ninja-er (I'm making this a word as of now).[/QUOTE]
How much was it at Bestbuy cause I picked it up at Walmart for $13 and I enjoyed it.

[quote name='cdeener']How much was it at Bestbuy cause I picked it up at Walmart for $13 and I enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

$14.99. I had a $5 reward certificate, so I got it for $10 (and then balanced it out by buying Ninja :lol:)

[quote name='bobo2k4']
The Myth - Jackie Chan plays 2 roles here as a ancient general and a modern[/QUOTE]

That movie should really get a little more praise then it did.It's not the best by any means but it was still alright/good/enjoyable and its dirt cheap to buy these days.Bought a copy for 5$ and ended up seeing it get even cheaper to 3$'s about 8 months later.

Legend of the Drunken Master aka Drunken Master 2 might just be my fav kung fu film.Great action and just a great movie and to be honest the first doesn't even need to be seen as some things are changed around and was made I think about 20 years or close to that after the first.The first Drunken Master is still good but the film hasn't aged gracefully but I'd recommend at least the 2nd and the first is pretty good also.

Once upon a time in China was pretty great.Overall I really like the first one and to me the second and 3rd,4th,5th and 6th are of much lesser quality but I realize most people agree on that the 2nd is on par with the first but the first just has more of a build up and better story and was just better to me in all aspects.You can get the first three for a fairly good price these days too.They sell a 3 pack at like wal-mart for about 9$ or maybe 13$ might be worth looking into and the first one has a commentary by a noteable kung fu film critic.

Fist of Legend
Kung Fu Hustle - I hear Chow's gonna make a sequel finally.
Fearless

My martial arts list in no particular order:
The Legend of the Drunken Master/Drunken Master II
Kung Fu Hustle
Wheels on Meals/Spartan X
Hero
Tom Yum Goong/The Protector

[quote name='y2_dre']Ong bak & Ong bak 2(more weapon based fighting) & The Protector.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Tony Jaa, if you ever see a copy of Spirited Killer, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. It gives Tony Jaa top billing, but he's in the film for 7-10 minutes tops. Outside of his cameo fight, it's the drizzling shits.

[quote name='ced']
Speaking of Tony Jaa, if you ever see a copy of Spirited Killer, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. It gives Tony Jaa top billing, but he's in the film for 7-10 minutes tops. Outside of his cameo fight, it's the drizzling shits.[/QUOTE]

I think my roommate was tricked by that one. Is it the one where they're going after the golden trinagle? (Actually says Trinagle on the back of the case)

i cant remeber the name of his movies, actor (spelling?) sho kasugi is awsome for older martail arts movies.

also the hunted with chris lambert (highlander) was good to.

ring of steel was a mixed martial arts/sword play movie with great sword fights

Ip Man was better than Flashpoint, IMO. I like to watch MA movies set in the olden times rather than current times. Also the main character uses mainly wing chun, a rarely used style in MA movies.

Also saw Power Kids, a thai movie with 2 good fight scenes. It has kids in it so...yeah. It's worth a fast forward to see the stunts these kids pull off.

bread's done
Back