Marvel VS Capcom 3 General info- OUT NOW! 8.5 from IGN and GS!

[quote name='Jaket']I seriously can't believe there's no Ken or Megaman in this game. It destroys me inside[/QUOTE]

You think that's bad, I can't even make my MvC 2 team of Iron Man, Cable and Capt. Commando, since two of 'em aren't even in the game...:cry:

And as I predicted last year, I knew they were going to go Xmen heavy and they did it again (6 characters). Sigh...that and I wished they could find some other SF characters to use other than Ryu and Chun Li, I mean aren't they in like EVERY fighting game that Capcom makes nowadays that has some SF character in it...:roll:

That and no Rival Schools / Project Justice love, I mean wtf...:bomb:

I'll get it....eventually, but I'm in no rush. **goes off to kick some Ryu butt with Batsu in TvC**

[quote name='blitz6speed']My amazon pre-order for collectors edition hasnt even begun prepping for shipping =([/QUOTE]

My regular edition still just says shipping soon,but its said that all day.

I suck at fighting games and consider myself a casual fighting game player but I am still excited for this. I have only played about 20 minutes of MvC2 so I am coming into this really green. But I am perfectly fine knowing that I am more of a casual fighting game fan, it just isn't really my go-to genre. Also can't wait for the new Mortal Kombat, even though MK isn't a hardcore fighter it's always been my favorite fighting series, MK II was my first fighting game ever (still my favorite). I went ahead and got the strategy guide for MvC3 from Amazon along with the game, I figured for that price what the hell. It will be my first game guide purchase in years.

I played for about 2 hours with a friend at Best Buy today. Man was it amazing, and i learned quite a few things.

-Zero has some insane combo's.
-X23 is fast as hell, and her Level 3 is nigh unavoidable (Seems like its gonna end up like Abel/El Fuerte's 2nd Ultra's in SSF4, with very few characters being able to stop it)
-Pheonix can be a wrecker of worlds, yet is as sturdy as a marshmallow
-Sentinel is still cheap
-Trish is awesome
-Viewtiful Joe plays....wierd (Something about his jump's seem floaty, and he doesnt seem to have a ground dash either)
-Galactus is cheap (The only 2 moves he used on me was a giant palm smash, and a giant laser attack)

Also, i really like the controls, though i couldnt get the hang of that aerial combo where you switch out in mid-air to keep the combo going.

Had a buddy break street on this by a few hours for me so i've been playing since about 7 last night. Wow this one is amazing. The netcode is nice and tight so even on a not-so-close connection, the fights were enjoyable.

Really wishing Thor were a hair faster though, he moves like he's wearing lead armor while wading through molasses. Past that though, most everyone just "feels" right.

Right now i don't think i really have a "main" yet, but the more I'm learning his game the more I can see where Spencer is going to be a beast...been teaming him with Viewtiful Joe and the Super Skrull and i've not had any complaints from that set yet.

If anyone wants to play, lemme know im almost always down...PSN ID - Lokre

so what are the chances they might come out with another version of this game? like a gh version or maybe pull a move like they did with streetfighter and release a super version?

After getting burned by SFIV, I'm not getting this right away and waiting for a Super edition with all the DLC for $30 6 months from now.

Plus, I don't have a stick for PS3, only 360, and I'm not paying for live.

[quote name='lokizz']so what are the chances they might come out with another version of this game? like a gh version or maybe pull a move like they did with streetfighter and release a super version?[/QUOTE]

GH probably since it will sell well. A super version is not likely because they would have to pay license fees for the marvel characters again.

I am pretty pumped to pick this up after work today! If anyone wants to play, feel free to send me a request on XBL. Just put CAG in the message so I know who you are. I'm also slightly worried about another edition of this coming out 6 months later, but as someone already said:

1. Capcom is greedy, but they would probably not pay for the licensing fees again

2. I just can't escape the hype to not play this fresh out the gate!:bouncy:

Just picked this up...WOW it is amazing so far, im about to hop online and get killed but so far this game is really good in my opinion

Edit - officially the worst person on PSN maybe this is why i only own COD and NHL..still a good game

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']After getting burned by SFIV, I'm not getting this right away and waiting for a Super edition with all the DLC for $30 6 months from now.

Plus, I don't have a stick for PS3, only 360, and I'm not paying for live.[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense. SSF4 did not include any of the DLC costumes from SF4. You still had to purchase them. Anything DLC on capcom games seems to remain paid DLC, only one where you might have a case is Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, and even then that came out for full price and never became a gamers hit edition game.

I got it, and so far its been disappointing.

Seems like the nerfed the air combo's. Only 3 attack buttons? Wack.

Simple mode so people can button mash? wack. No spectator mode? wack.

[quote name='Brainberry']I got it, and so far its been disappointing.

Simple mode so people can button mash? wack. No spectator mode? wack.[/QUOTE]

3 button thing was because of TVC. So I knew that part already. Yeah the simple thing could be annoying for mashers.

i was surprised at that change too i read about it on ign the other day some say its good others dont like it. i was hoping with mvc3 theyd go back to a 6 button layout.

[quote name='lokizz']i was surprised at that change too i read about it on ign the other day some say its good others dont like it. i was hoping with mvc3 theyd go back to a 6 button layout.[/QUOTE]

I guess you guys didn't read that part long ago. They said they was gonna use the same button layout as TVC. I kind of miss the 6 button layout from the mvc days.

[quote name='jman619']I'm installing it. Mine just came. I'm about to find out,but I'm 1000000000 % sure I'll love it. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sweet be sure to add me up for some matches but don't expect anything fancy ;)

Alright just got this game.

Learning the little things about characters right now (like how Arthur has no dash).

Check out the fighting game thread and sign up there!

PSN: j-cart

i am loving this, really impressed that i've not run into any rage-quitters yet.

still need to learn that fancy air combo-tag thing that people seem to destroy me with =/

anywho, feel free to add me...PSN - Lokre

[quote name='thetruelokre']i am loving this, really impressed that i've not run into any rage-quitters yet.

still need to learn that fancy air combo-tag thing that people seem to destroy me with =/

anywho, feel free to add me...PSN - Lokre[/QUOTE]

When your in the air just hit a direction on your d-pad or thumb stick and press sp(x)

This game makes me wish I had an arcade stick; to do combos i generally use fingers (as opposed to thumbs). Small number of inputs isn't so bad, but it becomes trying to do yoga while playing MvC3 at points.

Only played for an hour so far and it seems good so far. Feels much slower (especially using magneto and/or storm). You guys think its worth putting time into Wesker?

Got my SE copy today from Amazon and was upset the game disc was loose in the packaging. I installed it and played the game a bit before I went to work, when I came home I looked at the other disc that was in the case thinking it was a soundtrack...well its another copy of the game. Time to see which one of my friends didn't pick this up day one.

I don't know about the rest of you guys- but the ONLY reason i bought the SE was because of the advertised "Early Access" to Jill and Shuma. Now there isn't early access, and it's essentially going to cost me the same amount of money. That's false advertising, and it's bullshit.

[quote name='nbballard']I don't know about the rest of you guys- but the ONLY reason i bought the SE was because of the advertised "Early Access" to Jill and Shuma. Now there isn't early access, and it's essentially going to cost me the same amount of money. That's false advertising, and it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Total bummer, but oh well. Either way, the character DLC price is the same ($5 each, meaning you paid for it in the same fashion).

I bought the SE for the cover art. :D

Wait, WHAT?! How the hell am I supposed to do raging demon now? I couldn't imagine going to the arcade to play this now even if there was one local lol. No wonder JWong was upset.

Terrible.
[quote name='nbballard']I don't know about the rest of you guys- but the ONLY reason i bought the SE was because of the advertised "Early Access" to Jill and Shuma. Now there isn't early access, and it's essentially going to cost me the same amount of money. That's false advertising, and it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]Steelbook was worth the price of admission for me TBH.

[quote name='Jodou']Wait, WHAT?! How the hell am I supposed to do raging demon now? I couldn't imagine going to the arcade to play this now even if there was one local lol. No wonder JWong was upset.

Terrible.
Steelbook was worth the price of admission for me TBH.[/QUOTE]
I admit- the case is very nice. I was impressed with the overall package, but i was only there for the characters.

[quote name='nbballard']I don't know about the rest of you guys- but the ONLY reason i bought the SE was because of the advertised "Early Access" to Jill and Shuma. Now there isn't early access, and it's essentially going to cost me the same amount of money. That's false advertising, and it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a source? I don't ever remember being told that buying the SE would grant early access. I heard on the Capcom unity boards soon after the SE was announced that those characters would take an additional month or so before they were ready.

I'm finding the amount of content left out of this for the specific reason of fleecing people via paid DLC is disgusting.

For it to be missing obvious characters is one thing but there are entire modes/features which are/were present in Street Fighter IV (note: not Super) which are absent from this release.

One of the most money-grubbing releases I've seen from Capcom in some time. (and given that it's Capcom that's saying something)

It's fun, it's gorgeous, and I enjoyed getting it as a gift but I would have never paid more than $30 for it otherwise.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I'm finding the amount of content left out of this for the specific reason of fleecing people via paid DLC is disgusting.

For it to be missing obvious characters is one thing but there are entire modes/features which are/were present in Street Fighter IV (note: not Super) which are absent from this release.

One of the most money-grubbing releases I've seen from Capcom in some time. (and given that it's Capcom that's saying something)

It's fun, it's gorgeous, and I enjoyed getting it as a gift but I would have never paid more than $30 for it otherwise.[/QUOTE]

They've already announced the first $5 costume pack to be released next week. It'll have alternate duds for 6 characters (3 marvel and 3 capcom). If they end up creating alternate suits for every single character in the game it's going to run the paid DLC amount up pretty high. And that's not even including any additional characters they may release.

Edit: The costume pack is being released March 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, the SE voucher is for Disc-Locked Content. Real classy Capcom. The two fighters are actually incomplete, but the fact of the matter is they were being worked on prior to going gold. That to me says the game was not finished but they went to press anyways and have no issues charging for content already on the disc, if only in part.

fuck you Capcom; I want the company of old back where the final roster was included for $50.

After really playing the game for some time, I kinda feel blah about it. Of course I love that it is in my collection but at the end of the day, and like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom I can't really see myself dumping hours upon hours into this. I feel like I am nitpicking, but at the same time I feel conflicted because I feel as there should be more characters in the game, more to unlock, and simply MORE that I should not have to pay for outside of the original purchase itself. Additionally the only thing hard about achieving a platinum trophy in this is the missions(character combo challenges) everything else can be grounded out eventually.

I am going to play again tonight and hopefully against some CAG's add me if you already don't have me:
Kenpachiexodia

I must admit though I do currently love using Trish, Felicia, Taskmaster, and Viewtiful Joe. Plus i am getting use to aerial tagteam combos or whatever they are called.

[quote name='Jodou']Once again, the SE voucher is for Disc-Locked Content. Real classy Capcom. The two fighters are actually incomplete, but the fact of the matter is they were being worked on prior to going gold. That to me says the game was not finished but they went to press anyways and have no issues charging for content already on the disc, if only in part.

fuck you Capcom; I want the company of old back where the final roster was included for $50.[/QUOTE]

The DLC characters are not incomplete, they are 100% finished, its just that those guys on SRK who are swapping files out to make jill work arent doing everything that needs to be changed. The DLC for the 360 was leaked a while back to unlock Jill and Shuma, but it requires a title update for it to function, which is why you havent seen lots of footage of either yet. The DLC file is 108k unlock like usual.

My PS3 SE just shipped from amazon this morning, looking so forward to finally having it in my hands.

I just got my SE from bestbuy.
how do u guys like it so far?

Im debating if i should just return it and get the regular one wen the price goes down to 35ish...

[quote name='blitz6speed']The DLC characters are not incomplete, they are 100% finished, its just that those guys on SRK who are swapping files out to make jill work arent doing everything that needs to be changed. The DLC for the 360 was leaked a while back to unlock Jill and Shuma, but it requires a title update for it to function, which is why you havent seen lots of footage of either yet. The DLC file is 108k unlock like usual.

My PS3 SE just shipped from amazon this morning, looking so forward to finally having it in my hands.[/QUOTE]

The fact that you require a Title update for it to function precisely means that the data isn't on the disk. Sure, it might have some early data for the characters, but not be complete. Now, it's distributed a a title update (instead of a large download) because that way you can fight against people that haven't purchased the content (otherwise they wouldn't have the data for the characters you're using) or everyone would need to download a 'compatibility patch' as it was done for MUA 2's extra characters

I'm somewhat disappointed in the game, but that may be because I feel my interest for fighting games ended some seven years ago. It used to be that you bought the port to practice for the arcades, but grocery stores no longer lease cabinets and all the hangouts dried up years ago. Yes, internet is an option but any oldschool gamer can tell you it definitely isn't the same. More to the point, I'm not feeling that drive to master the characters anymore or learn the combos in depth.

That and the final boss is incredibly weak in terms of challenge. MVC2 did this far better by making it a multi-stage fight, so that you were training with a team of characters that could handle different situations (i.e. developing diverse comps). I think a lot of that magic was lost in development being released so long after the sophmore outing. It's a fun game in itself, but after playing through twice to check out different characters I'm not finding a reason to play it again.

[quote name='erequena']The fact that you require a Title update for it to function precisely means that the data isn't on the disk. Sure, it might have some early data for the characters, but not be complete. Now, it's distributed a a title update (instead of a large download) because that way you can fight against people that haven't purchased the content (otherwise they wouldn't have the data for the characters you're using) or everyone would need to download a 'compatibility patch' as it was done for MUA 2's extra characters[/QUOTE]

Title updates cannot be bigger then 4 megs on 360, and the update is also going to enable more functions like shadow enemies and alternate costumers. So no, they are done and on the disc.

bread's done
Back