Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Really having trouble in Insanity. I'm playing as Soldier, fresh NG, Long Service bonus. I just did Zaeed's loyalty mission and some side missions, enemies are way harder. After getting Mordin what order should I do recruiting missions? Should I do as many side missions as possible?

[quote name='IRHari']Really having trouble in Insanity. I'm playing as Soldier, fresh NG, Long Service bonus. I just did Zaeed's loyalty mission and some side missions, enemies are way harder. After getting Mordin what order should I do recruiting missions? Should I do as many side missions as possible?[/QUOTE]
You should do as few as possible. :) Doesn't matter who dies in the endgame as long as you beat the final boss. The main questline is tough enough, no reason to beat yourself up on stuff that's optional.

I would recommend picking up Grunt ASAP, he's going to be one of your go-to guys on Insanity.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You should do as few as possible. :) Doesn't matter who dies in the endgame as long as you beat the final boss. The main questline is tough enough, no reason to beat yourself up on stuff that's optional.

I would recommend picking up Grunt ASAP, he's going to be one of your go-to guys on Insanity.[/QUOTE]
Fiddle-faddle.

Every mission is very doable on insanity.

Goddamn Donovan's hard in Insanity...and Kasumi is an awful teammate. Any tips?

For some reason I've found a regular pistol with Warp ammo to be much quicker in killing bros in Insanity then my default assault rifle.

[quote name='shrike4242']Again, if you're an Assassin, do a Retrain Powers and flip to Agent, which will get you a Paragon boost and may be what gets you over the top. Otherwise, talk with her in her crew area and cross your fingers. :pray:[/QUOTE]

This did it. Thanks!!! I retrained powers and my Paragon meter is now about as high as I think it could be. Everyone on my squad is loyal and I'm off to do
Legion's loyalty mission
and then the final mission (and then LotSB). I think I'm on track for the Paramour achievement and hopefully
everyone will survive the suicide mission.

The Reaper IFF mission was a pain with all of the husks. I should have taken Tali I think and not Mordin.
I died a couple of times by just
getting cornered and then humped to death.
I also just passed 43 hours on this one game! I haven't put this much time into a game in maybe forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear that you managed to get past it with the flip to Agent from Assassin, javeryh. Sometimes, that 100% Paragon / Renegade boost is what it takes to pull off those situations. You'll have another one to deal with when you get done with the mission you were off to do.

I had the same issues you did with the
Reaper IFF mission
, for the same reasons you did.

In other news, last night I
completed the Collector base mission, with no loss of crew members or squadmates. I used Tali for the engineer and it was similar dialogue than when I had Kasumi do it the first time. Had some issues where I was getting repeated killed, though worked my way through it. And once again, keeping all my heavy weapon ammo and having the M920 Cain on-hand for two shots to drop the Termi-Reaper, though I needed to wait until I had the phantom resupply of all my ammo including the heavy weapon ammo.

Ended up saving the Collector base instead of nuking it, which was the Renegade thing to do. I think all of my crew think I'm insane for doing it, though we'll see what happens with it in ME3.

Also found out what happens without a romance interest in ME2 when you'd normally have the romance encounter. Very nice with the longing looks at the picture in the picture frame.

Now, it's off to do Overlord (and pick up the Data Hound achievement) and LoTSB (with the finish it in Hardcore or Insanity achievement), and once done with that, put away ME2 for a little bit until I either get the itch to do an Insanity run or the bridge DLC comes out to go from ME2 to ME3.

Awesome shrike. After reading all of your posts about your renegade run it is making me think I should definitely do it before ME3 comes out. I'm sick of being the good guy anyway!

I did Legion's loyalty mission last night. I decided to rewrite the heretic geth - I was really torn about the decision. I think if it was really me in that situation I would have destroyed them all... maybe. It really made me stop and think though. I always thought Captain Picard was nuts for not killing off the Borg when he had the chance - wow that was the nerdiest thing I've ever written and that's saying a lot.
I was going to
go through the Omega 4 relay
(it's all that's left to do) but I decided to wait until tonight - I was exhausted and I want to enjoy the ending. I ended up visiting all of the "towns" again and made sure to buy all of the upgrades I passed up due to low funds - I had about 260K to spend. It has been really great so far - I'm looking forward to LotSb too.

EDIT:
Also, The Collectors boarded the Normandy and killed everyone except for Joker. This includes the chick that stood next to the Galaxy Map the entire game. She got dragged into the elevator screaming as I walked by. Does she count against me getting the "No One Left Behind" achievement?

@javeryh no one on the ship crew counts toward the 'no one left behind' achievement. What DOES count are your actual teammates, and whether or not they die depends on their loyalty, and who you pick to do what in the last mission.

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome shrike. After reading all of your posts about your renegade run it is making me think I should definitely do it before ME3 comes out. I'm sick of being the good guy anyway!

I did Legion's loyalty mission last night. I decided to rewrite the heretic geth - I was really torn about the decision. I think if it was really me in that situation I would have destroyed them all... maybe. It really made me stop and think though. I always thought Captain Picard was nuts for not killing off the Borg when he had the chance - wow that was the nerdiest thing I've ever written and that's saying a lot.
I was going to
go through the Omega 4 relay
(it's all that's left to do) but I decided to wait until tonight - I was exhausted and I want to enjoy the ending. I ended up visiting all of the "towns" again and made sure to buy all of the upgrades I passed up due to low funds - I had about 260K to spend. It has been really great so far - I'm looking forward to LotSb too.

EDIT:
Also, The Collectors boarded the Normandy and killed everyone except for Joker. This includes the chick that stood next to the Galaxy Map the entire game. She got dragged into the elevator screaming as I walked by. Does she count against me getting the "No One Left Behind" achievement?
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I did one Renegade run on ME2 versus a Paragon run, since it does give you a different "flavor" of the game since it gives you the ability to do the same scenario two different ways and still get further along in the game. Especially with ME3 having 1000 decision points to have the gameplay crafted from between ME1 and ME2 decisions. I'm curious to see how that pans out.

Speaking of
Legion's loyalty mission, I rewrote the geth on my Paragon run, since it was the Paragon choice and could fix the issues with the heretic geth being an issue later in the game/timeframe. For my Renegade run I'm on now, I destroyed the geth, since it's possible they could go the heretic way again. I'm sure deciding to rewrite the geth versus destroying them may play out into ME3 if the geth are brought into the fray as allies against the Reapers and have more of them to fight the reapers, or it may make it harder for the quarians to take their homeworld back if there's more of them around. Destroying the geth may make less allies available against the Reapers, or it may make it easier for the quarians to take back their homeworld. We'll have to see what happens there.

One big thing you need to makes sure about, and this may have you go back and revert to an earlier save is that once
you have the Reaper IFF installed, you go off on your "mission" and the Collectors attack the ship and take all the crew except for Joker, you immediately go into the Omega 4 relay once you're back on the ship. What it takes to get the "No One Left Behind" achievement is related to that situation once you go through the Omega 4 relay, though it's more than just that. If you've gone and done other missions after the Collectors have hit the ship and taken all the crew, revert to a save right after that happens and head through the Omega 4 relay. Delaying doing that to do other mission can have adverse effects on things that happen once you get there.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Fem Shepard is a great fit for a Renegade playthrough too. No disrepect to Meer but Hale is a lot more believable as a stone cold badass.[/QUOTE]I'll have to agree with that as well, since she does deliver those badass lines pretty well. Maybe on the Insanity playthrough, I'll see how it goes with a Renegade male Shepard and see how Meer does the Renegade lines.

[quote name='IRHari']@javeryh no one on the ship crew counts toward the 'no one left behind' achievement. What DOES count are your actual teammates, and whether or not they die depends on their loyalty, and who you pick to do what in the last mission.[/QUOTE]I think if you lose your crew, it does count towards the "No One Left Behind".

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm glad I did one Renegade run on ME2 versus a Paragon run, since it does give you a different "flavor" of the game since it gives you the ability to do the same scenario two different ways and still get further along in the game. Especially with ME3 having 1000 decision points to have the gameplay crafted from between ME1 and ME2 decisions. I'm curious to see how that pans out.

Speaking of
Legion's loyalty mission, I rewrote the geth on my Paragon run, since it was the Paragon choice and could fix the issues with the heretic geth being an issue later in the game/timeframe. For my Renegade run I'm on now, I destroyed the geth, since it's possible they could go the heretic way again. I'm sure deciding to rewrite the geth versus destroying them may play out into ME3 if the geth are brought into the fray as allies against the Reapers and have more of them to fight the reapers, or it may make it harder for the quarians to take their homeworld back if there's more of them around. Destroying the geth may make less allies available against the Reapers, or it may make it easier for the quarians to take back their homeworld. We'll have to see what happens there.

One big thing you need to makes sure about, and this may have you go back and revert to an earlier save is that once
you have the Reaper IFF installed, you go off on your "mission" and the Collectors attack the ship and take all the crew except for Joker, you immediately go into the Omega 4 relay once you're back on the ship. What it takes to get the "No One Left Behind" achievement is related to that situation once you go through the Omega 4 relay, though it's more than just that. If you've gone and done other missions after the Collectors have hit the ship and taken all the crew, revert to a save right after that happens and head through the Omega 4 relay. Delaying doing that to do other mission can have adverse effects on things that happen once you get there.
[/QUOTE]

1000 decision points?!?! Holy crap.

Ugh. I didn't do any missions in between
installing the Collectors attacking the Normandy and the Omega 4 relay
but I did visit Tuchanka and Illium to buy some upgrades at the shops. Does that count? I'll have to see where my earlier save is. I hope I don't have to do a bunch of stuff over again...

[quote name='javeryh']Ugh. I didn't do any missions in between
but I did visit Tuchanka and Illium to buy some upgrades at the shops. Does that count? I'll have to see where my earlier save is. I hope I don't have to do a bunch of stuff over again...[/QUOTE]
IIRC it's fine as long as you don't do an actual mission (i.e., anything that gives you the Illusive Man mission summary screen).

I'm also fairly sure that the situation with the abducted crew does not affect the No One Left Behind achievement; it's only for squadmates.

[quote name='javeryh']1000 decision points?!?! Holy crap.

Ugh. I didn't do any missions in between
but I did visit Tuchanka and Illium to buy some upgrades at the shops. Does that count? I'll have to see where my earlier save is. I hope I don't have to do a bunch of stuff over again...[/QUOTE]Once you get to the point where
you come back from the Collector's kidnapping of the crew after the Reaper IFF installation, that's when the clock starts ticking on getting to the Collector's base. As long as you don't do a real mission, I don't think it matters in the endgame with the crew.

If it's just visiting Tuchanka and Illium as you suggested, you should be OK.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']IIRC it's fine as long as you don't do an actual mission (i.e., anything that gives you the Illusive Man mission summary screen).

I'm also fairly sure that the situation with the abducted crew does not affect the No One Left Behind achievement; it's only for squadmates.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']Once you get to the point where
you come back from the Collector's kidnapping of the crew after the Reaper IFF installation, that's when the clock starts ticking on getting to the Collector's base. As long as you don't do a real mission, I don't think it matters in the endgame with the crew.

If it's just visiting Tuchanka and Illium as you suggested, you should be OK.[/QUOTE]

Whew. This is good to know and I guess I'll find out tonight when I
go through the Omega 4 relay. I think I'd have to do Legion's loyalty mission again and I just want to finish up now. I definitely haven't seen an Illusive Man screen or accepted or done any missions. I've completed them all already. All I wanted to do was go buy some upgrades that I previously passed up due to limited funds at the time. I got a shotgun upgrade and something for defense (skin weave?).

Anyway, I'm excited to finish. How long does it take to
do the mission once you go through the Omega 4 relay
?

[quote name='javeryh']Whew. This is good to know and I guess I'll find out tonight when I
go through the Omega 4 relay. I think I'd have to do Legion's loyalty mission again and I just want to finish up now. I definitely haven't seen an Illusive Man screen or accepted or done any missions. I've completed them all already. All I wanted to do was go buy some upgrades that I previously passed up due to limited funds at the time. I got a shotgun upgrade and something for defense (skin weave?).

Anyway, I'm excited to finish. How long does it take to
do the mission once you go through the Omega 4 relay
?[/quote]

When I did it Friday night, it took a couple of hours, though I kept getting killed in a couple of spots. Probably an hour and a half of actual gameplay from what I'm thinking. Depends if you have issues in spots or not like I did.

One strong recommendation I have for that section is
pick the M920 Cain as your heavy weapon and don't use it at all until you get to the end of the mission. Makes the endgame much easier to deal with, and you'll see after you get through it.

question about insanity run: everyone says it's better to start off from a low level than importing a high level. But what's the best way to really do this? Import from ME1? I heard having warp ammo is the best but do I get a chance to have it from starting a new character? Just need some clarification on what's the best start up for insanity run regarding importing/not. Only cheesement I need really.

It's best to import your ME1 character for the insanity run because enemies level up with you. You also get all the ME1 import bonuses along with the ME2 completion bonuses. Starting with your high level ME2 character makes things more difficult because you're at a high level -- and thus enemies are at a high level -- but don't have your upgraded weapons. You will be able to select which power you want when you're importing the ME1 character. I usually use warp ammo but in some cases cryo ammo is better to use. If your character can use cryo ammo then you should probably get a defensive power like barrier or fortification. You can always change your power later on if you prefer something else.

I wouldn't recommend Cryo ammo for an Insanity play-through. If I remember correctly you can't freeze anything that has a barrier, shields, or armor. Once an enemy is stripped of all its protection it's short work to finish them off anyway.

I played through with both Disruptor ammo and either Armor-piercing or Warp ammo depending on whether I'd be facing barriers in the next mission.

[quote name='Filbert']I wouldn't recommend Cryo ammo for an Insanity play-through. If I remember correctly you can't freeze anything that has a barrier, shields, or armor. Once an enemy is stripped of all its protection it's short work to finish them off anyway.

I played through with both Disruptor ammo and either Armor-piercing or Warp ammo depending on whether I'd be facing barriers in the next mission.[/QUOTE]This. Warp Ammo is awesome, only trouble is organics with shields as you'll have to switch ammo.

Zaeed is really useful, he's good at killing dudes. Doing Mordin's recruitment isn't too hard with him on your team, since Jacob is the only other decent alternative and he kind of sucks.

I'd say AP Ammo is the best bonus power for Insanity, with Warp Ammo in a close second. Cryo Ammo is no good for the exact reason that Filbert stated.

I would not recommend a defensive power for Insanity. If you learn to use cover properly you can generally avoid getting hit at all, which makes it redundant. The best defense is a good offense.

[quote name='AshesofWake']question about insanity run: everyone says it's better to start off from a low level than importing a high level. But what's the best way to really do this? Import from ME1? I heard having warp ammo is the best but do I get a chance to have it from starting a new character? Just need some clarification on what's the best start up for insanity run regarding importing/not. Only cheesement I need really.[/QUOTE]What class are you planning on using? That one fact will make all the difference in the world if you're looking for solid advice. Also, you are correct to begin an Insanity playthrough with an imported character (rather than use the one you just beat the game with). Continuing with a completed ME2 playthrough is considered the Insanity + difficulty, and it can be noticeably harder in some areas of the game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I would not recommend a defensive power (except for Improved Geth Shield Boost) for Insanity.[/QUOTE]Fixed :cool:

well I hear soldier is the best but at the same time I feel like a dead fish in water as a soldier when I run out of ammo. Unless I'm doing something wron even on hardcore difficulty.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Fixed :cool:[/QUOTE]
Seriously though? I mean, I will defer to your expertise X :cool:, but it seems to me that if you're playing Insanity the way it needs to be played, defensive powers are redundant, and if you're making a habit of popping your head up at the wrong time and getting shot, GSB/Barrier/Fortification is not going to save you. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Seriously though? I mean, I will defer to your expertise X :cool:, but it seems to me that if you're playing Insanity the way it needs to be played, defensive powers are redundant, and if you're making a habit of popping your head up at the wrong time and getting shot, GSB/Barrier/Fortification is not going to save you. :)[/QUOTE]Ah, young Padawan, your knowledge of the Insanity difficulty and overall combat strategy is commendable - to say the least. However, there are some unique (and very beneficial) differences between Improved Geth Shield Boost and other defensive powers that are worth noting - especially for a class such as the Infiltrator. See if you can find them*:

Improved Geth Shield Boost

• Geth Shield Boost is a tech power in Mass Effect 2. It is improved Geth shield technology able to deflect attack damage. Geth Shield Boost does receive bonuses from tech power upgrades, increasing its usefulness.
  • Re-routing the shield generator into your weapons' power source can boost their damage for the duration of the shield.
    • Recharge Time: 12.00 seconds
    • Duration: 60.00 seconds
    • Shield Strength: +75.00% of maximum shields
    • Weapon Damage: +10.00%
* - hint: there are two.

:cool:

I just finished - the credits are rolling right now. It was effing awesome. One of the best games I've played. The ending was great - I cannot wait for ME3 now. In fact, the entire ending sequence was completely epic. I'm thinking I might have to do a Renegade run at some point. I'm also going to do LotSB next - I might even start it tonight. So so so great...

[quote name='javeryh']I just finished - the credits are rolling right now. It was effing awesome. One of the best games I've played. The ending was great - I cannot wait for ME3 now. In fact, the entire ending sequence was completely epic. I'm thinking I might have to do a Renegade run at some point. I'm also going to do LotSB next - I might even start it tonight. So so so great...[/QUOTE]Congratulations on beating the game and (at least after you finish LotSB) becoming a member of the group of us poor souls who have to wait until a TBD date for Mass Effect 3 later this year. It's very bittersweet.

[quote name='javeryh']I just finished - the credits are rolling right now. It was effing awesome. One of the best games I've played. The ending was great - I cannot wait for ME3 now. In fact, the entire ending sequence was completely epic. I'm thinking I might have to do a Renegade run at some point. I'm also going to do LotSB next - I might even start it tonight. So so so great...[/QUOTE]Congrats on getting the endgame done. :applause: Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did. :D

If you're going to do a Renegade run, I recommend picking either a Vanguard or a Adept, though also pick a female Shepard so you can see how the other side lives. ;)

When you did the endgame did you
take my hint about picking the M920 Cain as your heavy weapon and saving it for the end on the TermiReaper?
Also,
who did you have for your tech specialist, who did you have as your biotic specialist, who lead the second fire team, did you lose anyone?

If you liked the end of ME2, you'll love LoTSB even more. Best ME2 gameplay, period.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you're going to do a Renegade run, I recommend picking either a Vanguard or a Adept, though also pick a female Shepard so you can see how the other side lives. (Reason: female Shepards aren't real Shepards ;))[/QUOTE]Also fixed :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner'][quote name='shrike4242']If you're going to do a Renegade run, I recommend picking either a Vanguard or a Adept, though also pick a female Shepard so you can see how the other side lives. (Reason: female Shepards aren't real Shepards ;))[/QUOTE]Also fixed :cool:[/QUOTE]
Yes, we know your penchant for femShepards not being the real deal. :razz:

I'm glad I did go through the femShep path for my Renegade run, thankyouverymuch, and enjoyed every second of the trip, and have a little more to finish up.

I still think that it's worth everyone going through at least one additional run as a femShep if you went through as a maleShep, even though Tha Xecutioner thinks differently. :D

[quote name='shrike4242']Yes, we know your penchant for femShepards not being the real deal. :razz:

I'm glad I did go through the femShep path for my Renegade run, thankyouverymuch, and enjoyed every second of the trip, and have a little more to finish up.

I still think that it's worth everyone going through at least one additional run as a femShep if you went through as a maleShep, even though Tha Xecutioner thinks differently. :D[/QUOTE]I can admit that it's hard for me to allow femShep talk to go on without hitting replay on my anti-feminine lead role speech. Sorry :lol:

...though, the reasoning you gave (in bold) should be good enough for anyone to not do a femShep playthrough \\:D/

Went to start a 2nd playthrough of ME2 this morning. I was planning on importing one (of 3) ME1 save games, my renegade one so I can play the game again and also play the DLC I picked up not too long ago when it was on sale. Unfortunately my save files didn't make the journey from my 20gb hd to my new hd. That sucks, oh well, at least I get the bonuses from having beat ME2 already.

I think I'm screwed as far as getting the achievement for keeping everyone alive goes. Very early on in my game, I did Zaeed's mission, and came out of it without his loyalty. Now I just finished Jack's loyalty mission,
and then sided with Miranda during their fight immediately afterward. (Reading about it on Gamefaqs, it sounds like I could have avoided losing Jack's loyalty if my paragon/renegade scores were high enough; despite making every paragon choice I could in the game, my paragon score is apparently too low, because my only option was to choose a side)

Is there anything I can do to either A.) regain their loyalty, or B.) have them survive at the end without being loyal? Thanks for any help.

[quote name='AshesofWake']I've never played a male shepard..[/QUOTE]No one's perfect.

Are you for sure set on the Soldier? If so, when I wake up I can be of more help with general things for you to keep in mind for an Insanity run. Also, it may be beneficial for you to list the DLC you own (especially weapon/armor packs and maybe Kasumi's pack), as it would heavily affect any advice I'd give you for a Soldier
pre-Collector ship

[quote name='shrike4242']Congrats on getting the endgame done. :applause: Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did. :D

If you're going to do a Renegade run, I recommend picking either a Vanguard or a Adept, though also pick a female Shepard so you can see how the other side lives. ;)

When you did the endgame did you
take my hint about picking the M920 Cain as your heavy weapon and saving it for the end on the TermiReaper?
Also,
who did you have for your tech specialist, who did you have as your biotic specialist, who lead the second fire team, did you lose anyone?

If you liked the end of ME2, you'll love LoTSB even more. Best ME2 gameplay, period.[/QUOTE]

I am leaning towards doing a female Shepard renegade run (even though X is against it). 8-[

I did take your advice about
the M920 Cain and it worked - I was having a little trouble with the human reaper thing and the I remembered the M920 and took it out really fast - I only fired it once!

I was really nervous about my choices on the final mission but I just tried using common sense and I got through it OK. I used Tali as the tech specialist, Garrus to lead the first fire team, Samara as my biotics specialist, Jacob to lead the second fire team and Zaeed to do the escort. Everyone lived. I wanted to have Miranda and her Heavy Warp on my squad the entire time so I didn't select her to do anything. I also used Legion - his drone thing is awesome and it was really the only chance to get to play with that character.

On my next play through I'm debating on whether to let a bunch of them die by either not doing loyalty missions or making a stupid end game decision like having Grunt by my tech specialist, etc.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Congratulations on beating the game and (at least after you finish LotSB) becoming a member of the group of us poor souls who have to wait until a TBD date for Mass Effect 3 later this year. It's very bittersweet.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it is going to be a tough wait but since I've done nothing for 2 months except play ME2 I have plenty of things to do now (plus LotSB AND squeezing in the Renegade run).

[quote name='Danimal']I think I'm screwed as far as getting the achievement for keeping everyone alive goes. Very early on in my game, I did Zaeed's mission, and came out of it without his loyalty. Now I just finished Jack's loyalty mission,
and then sided with Miranda during their fight immediately afterward. (Reading about it on Gamefaqs, it sounds like I could have avoided losing Jack's loyalty if my paragon/renegade scores were high enough; despite making every paragon choice I could in the game, my paragon score is apparently too low, because my only option was to choose a side)

Is there anything I can do to either A.) regain their loyalty, or B.) have them survive at the end without being loyal? Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

Check a few posts back - I had the exact same issue with Jack not being loyal.
shrike's advice worked perfectly - just retrain your powers to get the Paragon boost and then go talk to Jack to smooth things over. If it doesn't work, just keep doing missions and collecting Paragon points - at some point you will be able to calm her down and get her loyalty back.

[quote name='javeryh']
On my next play through I'm debating on whether to let a bunch of them die by either not doing loyalty missions or making a stupid end game decision like having Grunt by my tech specialist, etc.
[/QUOTE]
Ha, awesome. On one of my Renegade runs I
let Jacob be the tech specialist. "You want it so bad buddy, you got it. Good luck." :lol:

X, your anti-feminine-lead speech makes me cry. It's like watching someone play Starcraft for the first time. Why aren't you making SCVs? Rally your buildings! And use some god damn control groups!

[quote name='Danimal']I think I'm screwed as far as getting the achievement for keeping everyone alive goes. Very early on in my game, I did Zaeed's mission, and came out of it without his loyalty. Now I just finished Jack's loyalty mission,

Is there anything I can do to either A.) regain their loyalty, or B.) have them survive at the end without being loyal? Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]
B.

Basically, don't use them for a fucking thing. The only thing Zaeed gets to do is "hold the line" while you do the boss fight. Pick Samara over Jack as your biotic specialist, and use Jack on the "hold the line" part, too.

Do everything else as normal, and everyone should live.

I think it makes the most sense to make a second play through opposite gender, opposite approach (paragon/renegade) and a very different class.

Unless one is crazy obsessed like X and some of the others, most are going to do at most 2 playthroughs. So might as well make them as different as possible.

My main character is the default, male Shepard and a paragon soldier. My 2nd character (ME2 only, never did a 2nd playthrough of ME1) is a female, renegade Adept.

I did keep all characters alive on both. I though of killing some off in the renegade playthrough, but decided I wanted everyone around for maximum options in ME3.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So might as well make them as different as possible.[/QUOTE]
This is pretty much my feeling as well. My primary two characters are a male paragon Vanguard (though I'll probably change him to an Engineer for ME3 as I've come to like that class the best), and a female renegade Soldier. I also tried to make different decisions whenever possible (aside from just the paragon-renegade dichotomy). There are some things I just can't bring myself to do though--
keeping the Collector base intact
for example, which just seems to me like a spectacularly terrible idea. I also sacrificed the Destiny Ascension in both ME1 playthroughs.

Yeah, same. I make different decisions as well. I gave the Illusive Man the collector base on my renegade playthrough though, as I want to see what happens differently for that option vs. destroying it.

[quote name='javeryh']I was an Infiltrator - what class should I try next that is really different?[/QUOTE]

I went from Infiltrator to Adept and it felt like a pretty big switch; went from killing everything with the Widow to relying almost entirely on Warp and Singularity.

bread's done
Back