Mass Effect 2-should I redeem the 'Cerberus Network' code?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
I may be starting Mass Effect 2 shortly, and am wondering if I should redeem the code it comes with.

On the one hand, extra content is nifty, I guess. On the other, on the PC version it effectively adds activation to the save files-they can't be used without the content being activated. I'd presume the Xbox version's the same.

Besides that, I'm against this whole 'DLC' thing and 'day one DLC' thing, and all of it being used as backdoor activation. There's a part of me that just wants to judge the game on its actual merits-what's on the disc.

Any thoughts? And no spoilers please (thanks!)

I would say go ahead and activate it. Free DLC is always nice. Playing as my vanguard, I always used the Eviscerator shotgun and Cerberus armor once it was available through the Cerberus Network. It worked out nicely for my reckless "charge in and bash face" vanguard playstyle with the shield boost lol.

Hmm...I just thought of something else...I wonder if that'll tie me in to having to use all that dumb network for Mass Effect 3? Hadn't considered that.

Well...thanks for the response! :)

I was wondering the same thing, i just purchased it used and I was wondering what does the Cerebus Network actually give you? Does it just give you the armor and the gun? I know you need it for all the extra DLC, but if i don't get ATM am i really missing out on alot of the game?

If I remember correctly, it gives you another crew member, Zaaed, and his loyalty mission, a heavy weapon (I think), the shotgun and armor I talked about before, I think maybe some other type of weapon, and a mission pack that uses a tank. To sum up, you won't really miss anything that important, but it's fun stuff to have.

honestly i wouldn't. the add ons won't change your overall experience. but then again I play on the pc and got all dlc stuff for free.. ;) so ya..

I'd definitely do it. You get an extra crew member and a loyalty mission for him, one short mission in the
wreckage of the normandy
, a five mission vehicle based DLC, and some new weapons and armor.

Kind of silly not to redeem it IMO as if you bought the game new you already paid for it. I'm not sure it's worth $15 if one bought it used though. But ME2 is one of my all time favorite games, so I'll take any playable content I can get!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can sell it to someone and get around retail ($15) I would probably sell it if you are not a Mass Effect fanatic. The extra content is nice, but as others have said I don't know if it is worth $15. Also there is plenty of content on the disk so if you think that is enough you could always sell the code and then use the $15 towards Mass Effect 3.

Hmm...that's disturbing. First time I put the disc in, the Xbox just thought it was a DVD. Had to eject and put it back in...

Aaaaand now it won't let me create an EA account anyway, so moot point. Doesn't give any reason why, it just won't work on the Xbox or on EA.com. No error message, it just displays the same screen again online. Oh well, I was leaning towards not using it anyway, and now I have no choice.

WHAT THE fuck!?!

Now I'm trying to import my Mass Effect 1 save, and it says "No character data found".

The way this is going so far, it'll probably delete my save files too. I could have just bought the PC version if it wasn't going to let me import my original characters!

go back and replay the ending, you may not have saved after the final boss of the first game if you skipped the credits

Thanks. I deleted ME2, reinstalled ME1, and started with my save game right at the end...finished it again...maybe it needs the auotsave that it makes before you make that final choice (that actually doesn't get recorded in the save file it turns out!)

Hopefully it'll work this time. Maybe it couldn't do it because I played Bring Down The Sky after finishing the game, so that overwrote the autosave file. Hopefully this'll work this time. Managed to lose some save files I really wanted, which stinks, because of all of this. Going to reinstall now...

EDIT: MASSIVE ME1 SPOILERS!*****************

I forgot I talked the big bad into KILLING HIMSELF. Geez, what an awesome game. The animation is crappier than I remembered, although the faces are still the best I've ever seen IMO. Better than Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2, although otherwise those are technically better. Be interesting to see if the second one looks any better.

The Evicerator Shotgun is one of the 3 best weapons in the game, next to the Collector's Assault Rifle (from the LE) and the SMG from the Kasumi DLC. Also you'll need the Zaeed and Hammerhead missions if you want to get the level 30 achievement in 1 playthrough (you'll also probably need to buy either Kasumi or the new one coming out this month, I would recommend Kasumi.)

Do it. Plain and simple. Extra content is always great, especially when it is technically free. If you really don't support "Day One DLC", which I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't but I support your endeavorer either way, then sell it to someone who wants it.

Nah, by principle I'd destroy it rather than selling it...I think...actually maybe I'd have to think that through as it might send more of a statement for them to (possibly) not be spending money on DLC.

Anyway I did end up downloading it, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and...I don't know. Part of me still wants to delete it 'cause it's not really part of the real game.

Took FOREVER to create an EA account, and the page that finally worked wasn't even encrypted! Really broken process.

BUT 45 minutes in to Mass Effect 2, and the game is just insanely good. Better than any movie I've seen this year...just 15 minutes in.

Couldn't place the Chuck girl 'cause she's (I guess) using her real accent! And Martin Sheen's character is great-wasn't expecting that :whistle2:D

I don't have a problem with the way they did it. It's a way to encourage people to buy the game new rather than getting it used--and I can respect that. Developers get nothing out of a used game sale.

And I say that as a person that has bought one game new each year in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and gotten everything else from Goozex.

When someone makes a game/series I truly love like Mass Effect or Gears of War, I'll go buy it new at $60 to support them. And it's kind of nice to get some DLC without having to pay for it as a bonus for buying new rather than used.

[quote name='dmaul1114']When someone makes a game/series I truly love like Mass Effect or Gears of War, I'll go buy it new at $60 to support them. And it's kind of nice to get some DLC without having to pay for it as a bonus for buying new rather than used.[/QUOTE]

I try to buy the quirky titles, like Afrika or the Ico games. Enough people are going to buy Mass Theft Auto Gears God of Modern War, but if everyone waits to trade for the smaller games they're never going to make a sequel.

Well for me, Mass Effect IS the game I can't understand how it's getting made, and that I want to support. Third favorite game ever, I think.

Yeah, that's me too. I've never been much into quirky, off beat games. IF there's one I dig I will buy it to send that message, but that's just rare for me.

Especially now a days since I really only enjoy WRPGs and FPS games--and the occasional action/adventure type of game like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed 2 etc.

I just don't game enough to play more that 5 or so AAA titles in genres I love these days. I'd play more of the random stuff back when I was more into games and playing a lot more games a year.

bread's done
Back