Mass Effect - Gen. Discussion & Info - Pinnacle Station DLC Now Available 400pts

I just beat the game on casual. Is it possible to play a new game(existing ID) on Hardcore? The only time I can change the difficulty is when I start moving inside the ship and i'm not sure if that counts(achievement).

so a simple idea if youre struggleing on hardcore would be to complete the ame twice on casual to get kick ass equipment and maxed out characters...then restart it again and set it to hardcore

i struggled making a new character on veteran (im impatient and like fights to end quickly is all) so i switched to casual and i plan on getting to 60 before tackleing veteran, then onto the dreaded hardcore....good god how hard is Saren gonna be at the end :joystick: .oO( "Im screwed" )

[quote name='Cmd Zoidberg']so a simple idea if youre struggleing on hardcore would be to complete the ame twice on casual to get kick ass equipment and maxed out characters...then restart it again and set it to hardcore

i struggled making a new character on veteran (im impatient and like fights to end quickly is all) so i switched to casual and i plan on getting to 60 before tackleing veteran, then onto the dreaded hardcore....good god howg hard is Saren gonna be at the end :joystick: .oO( "Im screwed" )[/quote]
When I beat the game on normal I thought Saren was
actually too easy, I just ran around and shot him the whole time dodging his fire. I beat him the first time I faced him.

Just finished it. Absolutly amazing game. Great story, great characters whom I developed my own connections with and treated them as such, great ending. The sequel cannot possibly come fast enough. Only complaints are the framerate, and the sidequests, which, aside from a few ones, just seem like busy work. Hopefully ME2 has a bigger main story, and less chore like sidequests.

I've been wanting to add to this thread for a while but I pretty much went on a Mass Effect media "blackout" until I went through the whole game. All glitches, craptacular framework, and sometimes petty side quests aside I was completely taken in by Mass Effect's world from begining to end. It might take a while for things to get going but the way the game sucked me in was pretty impressive.

[quote name='evanft']Man, the Mako sucks. And why the hell are there so many god damn planets if most of them are pointless?[/quote]

fucking seriously, and let's make some mineral deposits at the top of a stupidly steep hill while the Mako climbs at it 1 foot/sec.

Going to each system and click on every planet just to see the Land/Survey option is frustrating if you just want sidequests to do.

Any biotic users found the
last fight against Saren to be stupidly-easy? I remember having a difficult time avoiding damage as a Soldier, with him jumping around and shooting rockets. But as an adept + another one (Kaiden on my 2nd playthrough, Liara on my 3rd), I just spammed lift + throw over and over.

Figured he would have some immunities against biotics on Insanity...

only time Saren has immunity agaisnt gravity altering biotics (lift, push etc) are when hes fighting on the floating platform thing

also the final Saren i found him easy too on normal dificulty and i was using a soldier, i just left Liara spam lift on him and threw grenades at him, over in seconds, but my concerns about on hardcore are....well ive seen the gap between normal and veteran and im just wondering how much of a jump is it from veteran to hardcore :bomb:

anyway...after giving it some thought i think it will be like another 4 years before we see a sequel to ME, i mean this one took long enough to develop and people will be expecting it to be bigger and better next time around. thats alot of stress on the devs

for now i bet they will be creating additional content, maybe expansion packs like with oblivion

i mean over half the galactic map is left un touched and what a story they could make if they sent Shepard past the Veil

yup...Mass Effect is a game that has epic potential

on a side note...would anyone like to be able to edit armour apperances?
i know i would. if you take a look at BioWares history youll see another epic RPG, NeverWinter Nights. armour was made editable AFTER its release also, i hope they do the same with Mass Effect

Where is the space ship I can use to get out of Presidium/Wards place? I want to go to w/e nebulas people asked me to go to find missing ships.

Help appreciated :)

[quote name='mrelusive']Any biotic users found the
last fight against Saren to be stupidly-easy? I remember having a difficult time avoiding damage as a Soldier, with him jumping around and shooting rockets. But as an adept + another one (Kaiden on my 2nd playthrough, Liara on my 3rd), I just spammed lift + throw over and over.

Figured he would have some immunities against biotics on Insanity...
[/quote]

Yeah, I also smoked him with no problem. After I found out biotics affect him it was the end.

I chose to be a Earthborn, War hero, Engineer.

Any suggestions for levelling up? I know its a matter of opinion but im asking for some.

Also am i able to use the scope on a sniper rifle, if so how? I have it equipped and can fire it but dunno how to aim through the scope.

[quote name='pittpizza']I chose to be a Earthborn, War hero, Engineer.

Any suggestions for levelling up? I know its a matter of opinion but im asking for some.

Also am i able to use the scope on a sniper rifle, if so how? I have it equipped and can fire it but dunno how to aim through the scope.[/QUOTE]

just do everything you can. pretty much everything you do gains you XP, so just do what you want.

Does anybody know about zooming in with the rifle as an enginner?

How about the hacking things? All I ever do is just press the buttons that light up but it always fails and i dont have enough omnigel to buy it out, what gives how do you do this hacking minigame??? Please help. EDIT: Nevermind i figured out I just wasnt pressing them fast enough.

How do you upgrade your ammo, is this under equipment or squad?

Yeah..I have some more questions..

1) At the begining of the game, or twords it anyways. You have to deactivate...I think it's 4..or 3 timebombs...anyways, as your trying to do it, your getting raped by these white robot things. After being killed for about..I don't know, the 6th time, I decided to just run through it, and every single enemy froze. I have no idea what happened, but none of them moved. So I just walked around them, and shot them. Is this supposed to happen? Did the game feel sorry for me?

2) What's the advantage/disadvantage of having auto-level up? I have it set to off, as that's what the default option was. Yet, I still level up.

3) Can someone please explian how those tech points work? After every level up, I get some. Does it work like Final Fantasty: X's sphere grid?

[quote name='Riyonuk']Yeah..I have some more questions..

1) At the begining of the game, or twords it anyways. You have to deactivate...I think it's 4..or 3 timebombs...anyways, as your trying to do it, your getting raped by these white robot things. After being killed for about..I don't know, the 6th time, I decided to just run through it, and every single enemy froze. I have no idea what happened, but none of them moved. So I just walked around them, and shot them. Is this supposed to happen? Did the game feel sorry for me?[/quote]
yeah, that part of the game was quite hard for me the first time too. What happened to you sounds like a glitch to me though. Eventually I beat it by quickly crossing the bridge and using cover more effectively.
2) What's the advantage/disadvantage of having auto-level up? I have it set to off, as that's what the default option was. Yet, I still level up.
auto-level up simply distributes your tech points automatically. It has nothing to do with your level up rate.
3) Can someone please explian how those tech points work? After every level up, I get some. Does it work like Final Fantasty: X's sphere grid?
Go to the squad section of the pause menu. It should be pretty clear once you've a look at the screen. Simply distribute tech points into the skills that you wish to improve. If you scroll through the skills you can also see how many points a skill needs to unlock new skills and abilities.

[quote name='pitpizza']
How do you upgrade your ammo, is this under equipment or squad?[/quote]
You can equip weapon mods under the equipment screen. Hit the X button after you've highlighted the weapon/armor that you want to upgrade.(as you accumulate monstrous amounts of mods you'll begin to rue the moments you have to navigate the mod menu though =:p) As for zooming in with the sniper rifle, I don't think it's possible actually.

[quote name='Riyonuk']But do I have to "unlock" skill A and B before I can "unlock" C? Or do I just choose whatever I please?[/quote]

With some skills yes. Almost all of the grayed out skills have to be unlocked by leveling up the skill above it.(usually it's 5 points or so) A few of Shepard's other skills are unlocked as you progress in the story.

Hmm. Started the game yesterday. Vanguard going through on Casual difficulty. You guys think I'll have a hard time? Game seems pretty easy on Casual. Once I beat it once, I'm going to go through on the hardest difficulty.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Hmm. Started the game yesterday. Vanguard going through on Casual difficulty. You guys think I'll have a hard time? Game seems pretty easy on Casual. Once I beat it once, I'm going to go through on the hardest difficulty.[/quote]

Well, you'll have to beat the game at least three times (I may be wrong) to beat it with all the difficulties since you can only unlock Insanity by beating Hardcore.

[quote name='pittpizza']Does anybody know about zooming in with the rifle as an enginner?[/quote]

You can only zoom with a weapon if you are specialized in it. As an engineer you are only specialized in pistols and thus can only zoom with a pistol. If you want to be able to be tech-ish and get to use the sniper rifle, go with an Infiltrator next time (half engineer, half soldier). They are specialized in both the pistol and sniper rifle.

whats the best armour/weapon you guys have gotten?

best ive seen so far are:
Predator H X Armour (Heavy)
Spectre Weapons Grade X
Geth Plasma Rifle (this thing pwns even without upgrades!!!)

anyone else gotten better? :eek:

I don't want to click the spoiler Zoidberg, but I can tell you the best armor I could get is probably not going to be that great since I can only wear light armor. I think I have the scorpioin armor on right now with some enhancement that helps me regenerate life.

later in the game youll find some enchancements which can help make light armour just as good as heavy so dont threat too much, however heavy armour can go a step further....
and ive got another question, one pittapizza wont be able to answer or want to know so ill hide it again

has anyone found any other geth weapons other than the Plasma Rifle? or even some geth armour if there is any, because what I would like is to be fully dubbed wearing geth gear, that stuff just rips through enemy shields so easily

I saw there was a post which included that "combat music" sound from the planet Liara was rescued. Link seems to be expired. Could someone send me that page where I can hear that soundtrack again? It would be very nice. (That in-game music, which starts to play when fighting Geth on that planet where Liara was rescued.) Thanks.

I finally was able to actually sit down and get into this game. I really like it, but my real issue is it took so long understand what I am doing and the controls. I love the story though it draws you into the world very well.

I'm stuck on the elevator on Feros. Some how I saved my game on the elevator and the door won't open. When I go and activate the elevator I just get a loading screen that never seem to load the next section. Anyway to work around this glitch? I think I'm pretty screw because the autosave saved at the same spot too.

RE: Lesbo alien stuff

Is there any way to tell me what path to follow to access this without spoiling anything major? I'll admit, I'm curious. Obviously I have to make a female character.

I'm about to open the game now.

[quote name='Matt Young']RE: Lesbo alien stuff

Is there any way to tell me what path to follow to access this without spoiling anything major? I'll admit, I'm curious. Obviously I have to make a female character.

I'm about to open the game now.[/quote]
Just select whatever dialog options are at the top. Those are the goody-goody selections and you won't piss off the NPC with those.

[quote name='blueweltall']I'm stuck on the elevator on Feros. Some how I saved my game on the elevator and the door won't open. When I go and activate the elevator I just get a loading screen that never seem to load the next section. Anyway to work around this glitch? I think I'm pretty screw because the autosave saved at the same spot too.[/quote]

Ouch...I'm pretty sure you're screwed. I've heard there are only 2 elevators you can save in, and both of them are glitched. Do you have any other save points before entering the elevator? I think that's going to be your only option.

[quote name='hootie']Ouch...I'm pretty sure you're screwed. I've heard there are only 2 elevators you can save in, and both of them are glitched. Do you have any other save points before entering the elevator? I think that's going to be your only option.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I think I have to start over. I was at level 44 too.

[quote name='blueweltall']Nope. I think I have to start over. I was at level 44 too.[/QUOTE]
Ouch. That's why I always have more than one save in a RPG.

I seem to have stuck myself in a glitch. Everytime I go and activate those terminal's in the city that transport you somewhere, it loads with that huge pink ship thing, but nothing ever happens. I always have to restart the xbox, man this game has a lot of flaws :(

i just got this game, i played it for a short time, i was was pretty hammered drunk at the time, don't remember anything to the point i got stuck at, probably gonna start over from scratch.

[quote name='evanft']Man, the Mako sucks. And why the hell are there so many god damn planets if most of them are pointless?[/quote]

the mako poops on the fucking warthog.

a neat little addition to the Mass Effect franchise is the prequel book thats available, Revelation

ive bought it recently off play.com and so far its a good book :D

Hmm, didnt know there was a book.

I really have no problem with teh way the mako conrols, especially since th cannon and chain gun chew everything up pretty well. I have no problem rolling over enemies with accuracy. It seems like the easiest way to kill em. This was not meant to be a driving game and realizing this helps me appreciate the attention they gave to the mako missions.

It is probably obvious that I am not a huge RPG gamer by the questions I've asked. I have never played any turn based RPGs (final fantasy, fire emblem etc.) so I am by no means a hardcore RPG gamer, but I really, and I mean really really LOVE the way you level up and can allocate skill pts.

The only other games I've really gotten into that have this are X-Men legends and both Baldur's Gates. Mass effect has sort of re-kindled my love of true RPG's and the combat makes it approachable for even those who are not fans of the super-hardcore turn based RPGS.

ANyway I wanted to thank zoid and others for being careful with the spoilers.

The conversation wheel? Brilliant, I love how you don't get to choose teh exact response, only general feelings. really well executed and pain free. Not a game for people who need 100% action all the time though, thats for sure.

I'm playin paragon now but will probably playh through again.

Question: When you dont have enough charm or intimidate points to open up conversation options, (they're greyed out) what are you missing? Paragon pts or XP pts or both?

Specifically I'm talking about (7 hrs into the game) where the guy inspects the Normandy and says he is going to issue a negative report. Both paragon and renegade optins were greyed out and Im curious to how bad this hurts me?

BTW, I'm still looking for opinions (experienced ones) on what to focus my skill pts on as an engineer.

Not missing points afaik, just missing branches in the conversation. If you approach it one way, they'll be greyed out, another way and they won't. That's how I came to understand it anyway.

Just started playing the game this week.

Kinda sucks how you start off with absolutely no money, and can't buy anything. All your armor and weapons suck!

I didn't find the Mako to be TOO annoying to control however.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Just started playing the game this week.

Kinda sucks how you start off with absolutely no money, and can't buy anything. All your armor and weapons suck!

I didn't find the Mako to be TOO annoying to control however.[/quote]
Don't worry about that. Before you know it you'll be rich beyond need and have so much armor and equipment you'll dread having to slowly wade through the menu to clear it so you can pick up new stuff.

[quote name='pitpizza']
Question: When you dont have enough charm or intimidate points to open up conversation options, (they're greyed out) what are you missing? Paragon pts or XP pts or both?

Specifically I'm talking about (7 hrs into the game) where the guy inspects the Normandy and says he is going to issue a negative report. Both paragon and renegade optins were greyed out and Im curious to how bad this hurts me?[/quote] Halfbent doesn't have it quite right.
You're missing tech points in your charm and intimidate skill lines. However, you can only upgrade those skill lines by accumulating more paragon points and renegade points. So, yes, you need more paragon/renegade points and more xp points as well.

Once you have the skills you can choose red and blue whenever you like.

[quote name='hec204']I just ordered this game on newegg hope its good!:)[/QUOTE]

Sucks. Read the guide all the way through before you do anything. Or you'll get hours into it only to start over or sell the damn thing to some poor soul on ebay. And then tell them to read the guide first. And hope they don't leave you negative feedback. lol

Yeah Jedi, what the hell are you talkin about???

Why would anybody want to read the guide the entire way through before playing? Wouldnt it spoil everythnig? Put it in spoilers if you have to but I have no idea what you're saying. I'm level 15 and almost done with Noveria so dont spoil anything for me either.

bread's done
Back