Mass Effect on PS3 looking more and more suspect?

nystate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
Hi all I kinda new here but an a semi reg on IGN Playstation 3 Boards
I posted a post that generated a fair amount of hits so I thought I'd bring it here to get your thoughts. BTW you can read the results of the original here.

Is it just me or are are starting to resemble Bioshock on PS3 denials? I had a revelation after seeing too many similarities between this and Bioshock... Examine this evidence:

Denial of persistent rumors-

Bioshock:
Joystiq just got off the phone with Ken Levine, lead designer for BioShock, and was told that the PC version's issues are overblown because the game's high profile has placed it under a microscope. He fully admits they "screwed up" and notes that patches are most definitely in the works. Furthermore, there is no PS3 version of BioShock in development or planned.
-Source-

Mass Effect 2:
"Hi folks. There is a report circulating today based on an appearance I made in Poland yesterday. Seems there was a misunderstanding about ME2 coming to PS3," Watamaniuk told the BioWare forums.

"Let me clarify today: ME2 is coming to PC and X360 only. Look for them both on Jan 26 in NA and Jan 29 in Europe. Sorry for the confusion."
-Source-

A 'official' telling CVG maybe:

Bioshock
Obviously we need to give as many people as possible access to our game. However, this is an Xbox 360 exclusive and it's coming out on PC. That's the way it is on Bioshock" senior designer Joe McDonagh told CVG.
-Source-

Mass Effect 2:
"I believe we'll be Xbox 360 exclusive for at least a short period of time," BioWare senior manager Matt Atwood told CVG. "We're still working out the details on that, but we've had a great relationship with Microsoft and done very well."
-Source-
Devs: 'No comment'-

Bioshock:
...according to the upcoming issue of EGM, the move to Sony's system could be coming this fall. Supposedly in the rumor section of the magazine, Bioshock will be coming to PS3s this September...The port will supposedly feature the previously released downloadable content and will have improved visuals over the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game. We contacted 2K Games for a statement on this new rumor and were told, "No comment."
-Source-

Mass Effect 2:
If EA is planning to release a PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, it's keeping schtum.

CVG checked in with the publisher this afternoon to ask if it was keen on releasing a PS3 version of the game, and all we got was a short, sharp: "No comment on that one." Delivered in a polite manner, we may add.
-Source-

Major Game Magazine/journalist insists that it is:

Bioshock:
...We're reporting on a report stemming from OPM UK. They say that Bioshock is indeed in development for the PlayStation 3. They don't even say it once. They say multiple times that the game, thought to be exclusive to 360, is in development for Sony's platform. Propaganda spread by the Official PlayStation Magazine, or truth?
-Source-

Mass Effect 2:
In a recent Bonus Round of GameTrailers, the host Geoff Keighley showed strong belief that Mass Effect 2 will be a timed-exclusive title. Geoff Keighley stated the following:

“I think the game will eventually come out for PlayStation 3 but they just can’t talk about it yet.”
-Source-

Computer code 'outing' the truth?

Bioshock:
And once again the rumors of 2K's BioShock coming out on the PlayStation 3 are swirling about on the internets, driven by this bit of code found in the PC demo's config.ini file what lists the PS3 as a console.
-Source-

Mass Effect 2:
Multiple codes referring to the “PS3” were recently found within the files of the PC and Xbox 360 versions of Mass Effect 2. This caused a hailstorm of rumors about Mass Effect 2 being ported over to the Playstation 3.
-Source-

Last but not least: A PS3 fanboy Greg Miller inexplicably fans some flames in the console war for no reason at all... maybe to gear up fans for PS3?

Is it just me or is this not adding up?

One of the biowaRe guys chimed in on this like yesterday basically saying that mass effect will never see light of day on the ps3

You can't believe anything these guys say anymore when it comes to 3rd party exclusives. It's just a wait and see situation, they're just gonna deny it whether it's true or not.

I would believe this is coming to PS3 because M$ just only wants timed exclusives (GTA:EoLC was a big shocker because that was thought to be exclusive for good because of the money M$ paid R*). Very nicely put list nystate, great job!

I know Bioware is working on something for Ps3 that is unannounced, don't know what it is or want to speculate. But with money hungry EA having the actual reins now I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could happen.

I am pretty sure it is coming. They have never flat out denied it. An EA rep recently said when asked that "I can't comment..." as opposed to saying no it's not coming.

Skip to just before minute 25 to hear that... and it sounds like he knows something.
http://www.analoghype.com/2010/01/ea-talks-to-analoghype-about-the-future/

And the main BioWare guys squirm a lot when asked about it... and they just say it is only announced on Xbox and PC... "they aren't saying anything." Skip to marker that says Jade Empire Strikes Back to get to that part.

These are two in a massive amount of examples. They clearly know something, and it seems clear that EA is trying to get the series over to PS3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/78?ch=1&sd=1

[quote name='pram12']I would believe this is coming to PS3 because M$ just only wants timed exclusives (GTA:EoLC was a big shocker because that was thought to be exclusive for good because of the money M$ paid R*). Very nicely put list nystate, great job![/QUOTE]

Rockstar got actually a loan from MS for GTA DLC. Rockstar can do whatever they want once they paid MS back the money.

all i want is a remake of the original dead rising .but that said i think theyd probably release me1 first or maybe do a me1/2 combo pack of sorts like how theyre doing with uncharted1/2 in Japan. theres no point in giving ps3 owners me 2 first.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97992-BioWare-Kills-Mass-Effect-2-PS3-Rumor

BioWare Kills Mass Effect 2 PS3 Rumor
Andy Chalk posted on 3 February 2010 10:07 am
Filed under: andy chalk, bioware, chris priestly, mass effect 2, playstation 3, ps3, rumor
61384.jpg

BioWare has shot down rumors that a PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2 is on the way, saying that the PS3 code found in the PC version of the game is nothing more than a remnant of the cross-platform Unreal Engine.
Polish gaming site Kikoo reported yesterday that it had found a mysterious bit of code floating around in the PC version of Mass Effect 2, the new space-based RPG from BioWare. It looked like this:
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessageXBox?=348754
m_srParagonRenegadeMessageXBox=3?48755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePC=3?48753
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePC=348?755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePS3=?348755
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePS3=15?3007

Neither Mass Effect game has appeared on the PlayStation 3, but BioWare has consistently refused to deny that it won't someday bring the franchise to Sony's platform. Could this be the reason? Did Kikoo uncover BioWare's greatest secret: Mass Effect 2 on the PS3?
Well, no. In a short-and-sweet forum post, BioWare Community Coordinator Chris Priestly wrote, "The Unreal Engine is cross platform, hence the PS3 code. This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1 days as well. Mass Effect is for the PC and Xbox 360."
Sorry, PS3 crew, but it looks like you're going to have to wait awhile longer.

The actual forum post by Chris Priestly:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/925844&lf=8

capturejc.jpg

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not an EA game.[/QUOTE]
But EA did port Orange Box right?

I can't imagine ME2 coming to the PS3 without the first game being release on the PS3. Which seems pretty unlikely at this point.

The bigger question is whether or not BioWare would port ME1 over, and if so, would they make any improvements or keep it true to the original? OR, would they essentially summarize the first game like they did in ME2 and just port ME2 over to the PS3?

I think they will bring them both over. I think it will be the PC version of ME, which was largely the same save an inventory system upgrade.

Malik, posting a news story based on a comment of "Mass Effect is for the PC and Xbox 360." from their forums... like it is suddenly news... is funny. They always say that exact quote on their forum and have for years and lock down the thread if it is in relation to asking info about a PS3 version. It is not suddenly news, like some sites decided to say it was. Seriously... look back through the ages. Google it. That is not a new comment nor is it news nor is it something anyone can really put any stock in as to whether or not this will happen.

If they didn't take this exact approach, the forum would be overrun with these things. And again notice how it is not NEVER PS3 or ONLY 360/PC... it just states obvious facts.

[quote name='Malik112099']One of the biowaRe guys chimed in on this like yesterday basically saying that mass effect will never see light of day on the ps3[/QUOTE]

This has never remotely been hinted at, much less basically said. I guess you are going to drop your jaw when it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Saint Noir']This has never remotely been hinted at, much less basically said. I guess you are going to drop your jaw when it happens.[/QUOTE]

Why would my jaw drop? I was commenting on what I thought I read. I already played both ME1 and ME2 on the 360. I dont care if it goes to the PS3. I just posted info I thought was relevant to the discussion. This recently came up (a few days ago) and bioware reiterated that ME is for the xbox and PC.

Why does everyone on here take video game discussions as personal attacks!?!?! Get over it people.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']But EA did port Orange Box right?

I can't imagine ME2 coming to the PS3 without the first game being release on the PS3. Which seems pretty unlikely at this point.[/QUOTE]

But the port turned out below expectations. Valve does not wanna work on any PS3 games and I dont think they trust another company to port it. Bioware on the other hand had DA:O recently so it's possible that they may start porting ME1/ME2.

[quote name='pram12']But the port turned out below expectations. Valve does not wanna work on any PS3 games and I dont think they trust another company to port it. Bioware on the other hand had DA:O recently so it's possible that they may start porting ME1/ME2.[/QUOTE]

This was largely handled by someone else (both console versions were). But they did get their hands dirty and did say they liked the PS3 so much that they will be working with it more and it will be all internal from this point on.

The coding isn't UE3 code, it's Mass Effect code.

It'll come to PS3 because EA needs it to come to as many platforms as possible because they need money. I fully expect a re-release this fall of both Dragon Age and ME2 as GOTY editions for everything with all the DLC and whatnot.

[quote name='KingBroly']The coding isn't UE3 code, it's Mass Effect code.[/QUOTE]

Its Unreal Engine 3.5. So, it IS UE3 code.

Dont pull shit out of your ass.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']But EA did port Orange Box right?

I can't imagine ME2 coming to the PS3 without the first game being release on the PS3. Which seems pretty unlikely at this point.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't mean they own it and can do whatever they want with it.

ME/ME2's chances of happening on the PS3 are all up to whatever the contracts between Bioware/EA and Microsoft say. Maybe it'll happen as "Mass Effect Sigma" to get around "Mass Effect" being exclusive by making a new game that's different enough to count as something unique.

With ME3 already in development, I'd hope for a ME trilogy on 1 blu-ray to coincide with the release of ME3 on the 360. Wishful thinking, I know.

[quote name='johnnypark']With ME3 already in development, I'd hope for a ME trilogy on 1 blu-ray to coincide with the release of ME3 on the 360. Wishful thinking, I know.[/QUOTE]

This would actually be cool. Especially if they make all 3 seemless and set it up like one big 100+ hour epic game.

[quote name='ohboy10451']just buy a 360 Arcade. Should drop in price soon to $150[/QUOTE]

cause everyone wants to purchase a whole other console to play one game......

the cheaper thing than doing that would be just to get it on PC if yours is decent enough to run the game

[quote name='Malik112099']Its Unreal Engine 3.5. So, it IS UE3 code.

Dont pull shit out of your ass.[/QUOTE]

This...
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePS3=?348755
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePS3=15?3007

is not something you find in base UE3 code, specifically the bolded parts.

[quote name='KingBroly']This...

is not something you find in base UE3 code.[/QUOTE]

Im not saying this isnt true but I would like to know what makes you an expert.

I wouldnt pay $60 for an older game, especially when it would be far less on the competing system anyway. Thats probably why Bioshock and Eternal Sonata (among others) sold poorly on ps3.

[quote name='limelight022']I wouldnt pay $60 for an older game, especially when it would be far less on the competing system anyway. Thats probably why Bioshock and Eternal Sonata (among others) sold poorly on ps3.[/QUOTE]

if bioshock sold poorly on ps3 its because most people had already played it on the xbox or pc even if they didnt own either some probably played at a friends house so the number of people who hadnt played it was probably slim. im one of those who bought it for ps3 loved it.

wish they would do a movie or prequel game to let you see the gradual decline of rapture.

I think Bioshock PS3 sold relatively well. VG Chartz (you can stop rolling your eyes now) claim it sold ~500K compared to 2.5-3.0m on 360. Which isn't bad since the PS3 version came out 15 months later.

Mass Effect 1, though, is almost 3 years old. They could not, in the slightest, sell that as a $60 title by itself for PS3. I don't think they'd attempt it.

Besides all that, while EA owns the ME franchise now, doesn't Microsoft still retain the rights to the first title, meaning it would never come out on PS3? I know MS published it, for what that's worth.

ME2 seems possible (though not probable) for PS3 release; ME1 just doesn't seem like it could happen legally.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think Bioshock PS3 sold relatively well. VG Chartz (you can stop rolling your eyes now) claim it sold ~500K compared to 2.5-3.0m on 360. Which isn't bad since the PS3 version came out 15 months later.

Mass Effect 1, though, is almost 3 years old. They could not, in the slightest, sell that as a $60 title by itself for PS3. I don't think they'd attempt it.

Besides all that, while EA owns the ME franchise now, doesn't Microsoft still retain the rights to the first title, meaning it would never come out on PS3? I know MS published it, for what that's worth.

ME2 seems possible (though not probable) for PS3 release; ME1 just doesn't seem like it could happen legally.[/QUOTE]

The publisher for the 360 version was Microsoft Game Studios whilethe publisher for the PC was EA.

[quote name='mykevermin']Besides all that, while EA owns the ME franchise now, doesn't Microsoft still retain the rights to the first title, meaning it would never come out on PS3? I know MS published it, for what that's worth.[/QUOTE]
MS also published Ninja Gaiden 2.

Well, fair enough then.

Anyone would be a fool to sell it at $60. ME1/2 combo for $60 by this December would be something to be excited about, though.

[quote name='FrankySox']I thought everyone who only had a PS3 hated Mass Effect anyway...[/QUOTE]

They are being jealous. Same with Forza 3 hate by PS3 only owners.

[quote name='mykevermin']Eh. It'll come out the same day as MGS4 for the 360.[/QUOTE]

MGS4 is coming out this fall for the 360? Lol!

[quote name='batman1939']No we only hate Halo, Forza, Gears, Splinter Cell, Alan Wake and Mass Effect (until it comes to the PS3) :D [/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah but a ton of stuff was changed including the name......[/QUOTE]
.......................................................................which is the one way it can be ported over. Put both games on one disc with DLC and slightly change the name and it's a very different game.

Taking a long time now. I think I would be able to build a new computer and play it on PC before it comes out on PS3.

[quote name='Malik112099'][quote name='batman1939'] No we only hate Halo, Forza, Gears, Splinter Cell, Alan Wake and Mass Effect (until it comes to the PS3) :D [/QUOTE]
Fixed.[/QUOTE]

Crap, I guess I should start doing my part as a PS3 owner. The problem is that I'm indifferent to Forza, found ME to be good, and actually really enjoy :)-o) Splinter Cell. What can I, as a PS3/Wii owner, do to adhere to a jaded view of all PS3 owners?

On a serious note, FriskyTanuki said what I would've: "ME/ME2's chances of happening on the PS3 are all up to whatever the contracts between Bioware/EA and Microsoft say." None of us really know the details regarding the contract or any of that stuff, so really it could or it couldn't happen. Right now there are no plans. Could it change? In this generation where nearly EVERYTHING is going multiplat, it definitely could. Until then, I'll probably pick up ME2 whenever it drops in price, or Steam has a sale (and God I hope they fired the male Shepard's voice actor).

[quote name='FroMann']Taking a long time now. I think I would be able to build a new computer and play it on PC before it comes out on PS3.[/QUOTE]

My computer could smoke it... I just hate playing games on PC. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Nirron']Crap, I guess I should start doing my part as a PS3 owner. The problem is that I'm indifferent to Forza, found ME to be good, and actually really enjoy :)-o) Splinter Cell. What can I, as a PS3/Wii owner, do to adhere to a jaded view of all PS3 owners?[/QUOTE]

You need to become TMK's understudy but it will require you to sacrifice the Wii to the SDF.

Seems like finding a way to reasonably market and get around contractual entanglements (if any still exist) surrounding ME1 would be the most obvious issue. And given their focus on intraseries continuity I can't imagine them releasing ME2 without its predecessor.

bread's done
Back